Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Crack posted:

I feel playing something atmospheric, creepy and ideally pretty that rewards exploration. Bioshock (original) is the best example I can think of, but Dishonored and Alan Wake also work.

Anything good like this on PC?

I thought Condemned: Criminal Origins did this really well. You fight hobos in dilapidated environments (service tunnels, boarded up buildings, etc) with lead pipes and you're not made aware exactly why all the hobos in the city are going crazy. You also have to investigate some hosed up murder scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

What's the difference between the Anno series and the Settlers series? From the outside they look virtually identical, with gameplay revolving around complex production chains for various goods.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, any of the Thief games. Older Thief games aren't very pretty, but Dark Messiah is quite beautiful I think.

Kicking orcs in the nuts, off the cliffs, into spikes/fire is a lot of fun, but I'm not sure atmospheric is the word for Dark Messiah.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Chinook posted:

Outcast and Planet Explorers are very different, but "open world, sci fi, not spaceship based".. that works for this:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/237870/

It also (from a distance) looks similar in a lot of ways. Open fields and daytime instead of dark craggy valleys and storms and plasma tornadoes like you might expect from some games.
Looks promising. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe buy when it's released. It seems a lot more sandboxy/minecrafty than what I'm after, but that could be cool too.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
Are there any games worth playing on Windows Phone 8?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

EightDeer posted:

What's the difference between the Anno series and the Settlers series? From the outside they look virtually identical, with gameplay revolving around complex production chains for various goods.

Scale and complexity. Settlers is a much more simplified game built around raising up your small town and keeping it alive. ANNO puts a heavier focus on production and trade to the point that in 2070 you can eliminate competition purely through the trade market (though accomplishing this against the AI is rare.)

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

EightDeer posted:

Same developer, so they are fairly similar. The mechanics differ in population management for the most part - in Anno you provide citizens with goods they consume and upgrade the houses to pay more taxes and unlock more buildings, they don't really do anything else.
In Settlers your population is just there to work, they don't consume the goods, you just set them up with tools for their role and that is that - they become soldiers or whatever.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 1, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

pigdog posted:

Kicking orcs in the nuts, off the cliffs, into spikes/fire is a lot of fun, but I'm not sure atmospheric is the word for Dark Messiah.

I find that by keeping it entirely in first person, it adds to the atmosphere quite a bit. It's also got at least one section that any arachnophobe would find plenty atmospheric.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
I really enjoyed Dark Messiah, it was really good. Although once you get access to the lightning shield the melee combat got a bit too easy, even on the hardest deifficulty, but before then it is plenty fun. I went a fighter-stealth hybrid, sneaking up on orcs and slashing off their heads with a huge sword instead of stealthily stabbing them.

I also must admit that fireballs in that game were the most gratyfying fireballs in any game with magic I have ever played, it just packed such a punch and felt so gooooooood when you cast it.

In other games magic is mostly meh, but here it felt deadly. Maybe Dragon Age 1 had comparably powerful magic too, but you could experience it better in a first person game.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

M_Bison posted:

In other games magic is mostly meh, but here it felt deadly. Maybe Dragon Age 1 had comparably powerful magic too, but you could experience it better in a first person game.

You need to play Lichdom: Battlemage if you have a PC capable of running it.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Mokinokaro posted:

You need to play Lichdom: Battlemage if you have a PC capable of running it.

Maybe at a significant discount- game is rail thin past its crafting system. Weirdly A-list voice over cast.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Are there any modern-ish battle games out there like the Close Combat series from 1996?

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Thanks for all the suggestions, I actually have a few on my steam library untouched already so I guess it's time to clear some of the backlog too!

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Omnicarus posted:

Are there any modern-ish battle games out there like the Close Combat series from 1996?

Also looking for this, and modern remakes of Close Combat, ie. tactical squad or platoon based WW2 strategy games.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
If it helps they're making a completely new engine for a sequel to the series. I can't wait for that!

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jun 24, 2019

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Extra posted:

Men of War? Has online co-op too which is p neat.

I played the hell out of that already, anything turn based out there that anyone knows of?

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
I'm really into games that give very little to no exposition, and you spend the game trying to uncover what is going on. Whether it be a point and click adventure game, or (more preferably) a first person exploration game. Gone Home is probably my favorite game, and until Firewatch or Routine come out, I'm kind of stuck. I'm told the Myst series is really, really good and pretty much fits the bill for me but I was wondering if anyone knew any others. I'm kind of rambling here, but pretty much any game that has you exploring and investigating something that happened (whether it be deep sea exploration, a space station gone dark, etc), like reading emails or journals to piece together what's happening/happened, is what I'm interested in. First Person is a plus but not a requirement!

fake edit: I've already played Dear Esther as well

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Half-Life and Half-Life 2 are like that. There's an extensive backstory if you pay attention, or you can just zoom through and shoot dudes.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Ziji posted:

I'm really into games that give very little to no exposition, and you spend the game trying to uncover what is going on. Whether it be a point and click adventure game, or (more preferably) a first person exploration game. Gone Home is probably my favorite game, and until Firewatch or Routine come out, I'm kind of stuck. I'm told the Myst series is really, really good and pretty much fits the bill for me but I was wondering if anyone knew any others. I'm kind of rambling here, but pretty much any game that has you exploring and investigating something that happened (whether it be deep sea exploration, a space station gone dark, etc), like reading emails or journals to piece together what's happening/happened, is what I'm interested in. First Person is a plus but not a requirement!

Amnesia if you don't mind a little pants making GBS threads.

Penumbra for less pants making GBS threads, more mystery.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009

Ziji posted:

I had no idea what was going on when I played The Void, they tell you to some extent but I think everyone has to draw their own conclusions as to what is really going on. You have to figure out the mechanics on your own as well. On the other hand details are given through narration, not emails, and I never actually finished it as my save file got corrupted so I don't know if it actually does tell you whats going on in the end.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Ziji posted:

There are plenty of horror games with that sort of premise, if you don't mind horror elements and/or clunky combat at times. To point out something a bit off-beat, Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason is a weird Ukrainian first-person sort of horror-ish game, where you explore a nuclear powered icebreaker that got caught in ice near the North Pole for unknown reasons. And if you can deal with that, then there's always Pathologic.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ziji posted:

You should also get ready for The Witness, Blow's next project.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ziji posted:

Kind of a joke answer but: Viscera Cleanup Detail.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
I booted up Fable wanting to re-experience it, only to find that it's aged incredibly badly.

Anyone have recommendations of a similar game where I can be an rear end in a top hat kleptomaniac that aren't Bethesda and have a ton of neat stuff to do? I have a PC/360.

I was hoping Fable 2 would be good, but it's got a horrendous framerate and awful, awful combat.

edit: fun glitches own too

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 1, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga/Developer's Cut.

Go for the PC version over the 360.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Ziji posted:

If you haven't played it I'd expect Miasmata to be something you would enjoy.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I actually have The Void on my undending list of unplayed Steam games so I'm definitely going to give that a shot. I had already played HL1 and 2 so they're off my list (good suggestion though!) and I'm now adding Pathologic and Cryostasis to my list of must-play games! The Witness also looks loving awesome, too bad it's not out yet.

Oh, and added Miasmata to my wishlist for next time it goes on sale.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
For Pathologic wait for the upcoming rerelease. They're completely redoing the translation (the current English one is so dire that you are given completely wrong directions at at least one point.)

Crack
Apr 10, 2009

Ziji posted:

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I actually have The Void on my undending list of unplayed Steam games so I'm definitely going to give that a shot. I had already played HL1 and 2 so they're off my list (good suggestion though!) and I'm now adding Pathologic and Cryostasis to my list of must-play games! The Witness also looks loving awesome, too bad it's not out yet.

Oh, and added Miasmata to my wishlist for next time it goes on sale.

Just as a warning, The Void is very punishing and if you find it too hard or manage to screw yourself late into the game and don't want to restart (and savescumming is not an option) there are both easy/medium mode patches and cheats on the official forums.

You should be saving often though at least as it's very easy to mess up if you don't know what you're doing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crack posted:

Just as a warning, The Void is very punishing and if you find it too hard or manage to screw yourself late into the game and don't want to restart (and savescumming is not an option) there are both easy/medium mode patches and cheats on the official forums.

You should be saving often though at least as it's very easy to mess up if you don't know what you're doing.

More important than that is that it's very easy to screw up and not realize it until much later on. The main challenge of the game is resource management, and a big part of that is sowing "trees" with some of your power in order to harvest them for more later. It's easy to end up in a position where you haven't sown enough to survive another harvest cycle.

So don't just "save often" but make separate save files so you can jump back as far as you need to rather than leaving yourself stuck with only one save that's already too late.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

Ziji posted:

If you can get through the tough combat, Dark Souls is like that (the first one, Dark Souls 2 didn't quite capture the same atmosphere). You have no idea what's really going on, but the world is really intriguing, and the game to me was more about exploration than the story. There is a deep lore and story in the background, but you are never really told much directly.

If you plan on playing on PC I recommend a gamepad, but if you are adamant on Mouse+Keyboard go look for a mouse fix.

And I guess Bioshock 1, if you didn't spoiler the ending for yourself yet. You're not really sure what the hell is going on up until the end.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Ziji posted:

Ooh, the Vanishing of Ethan Carter is also coming out this month, which is basically exactly everything you(and I) want.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Sep 2, 2014

5thMouseButton
Jun 6, 2010
Looking for something with a focus on melee combat that feels really good & tight. Condemned: Criminal Origins got the melee feel right & I'm looking for other titles that do the same. I've played the Batman games already, anything else?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

God Hand.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

5thMouseButton posted:

Looking for something with a focus on melee combat that feels really good & tight. Condemned: Criminal Origins got the melee feel right & I'm looking for other titles that do the same. I've played the Batman games already, anything else?

Sleeping Dogs. It's also fantastic.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

5thMouseButton posted:

If you liked the first person combat of Condemned then definitely check out Zeno Clash which often goes on sale for cheap.

If you own PS2/PS3 then definitely get the Yakuza games.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Just picked up a 3DS, Bravely Default, and Pokemon Y. Any other 'must have' games for it? Assuming Fire Emblem, of course :v:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

5thMouseButton posted:

Far Cry 3 is incredibly atmospheric and awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Galick posted:

Just picked up a 3DS, Bravely Default, and Pokemon Y. Any other 'must have' games for it? Assuming Fire Emblem, of course :v:

Do you like Ace Attorney and/or visual novels and/or funny as poo poo games? Hop on Ace Attorney Dual Destinies while it's still $18. It's only on the eshop.