Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

The Aguamoose posted:

Thanks for the tip! Wasn't able to find anything that reminded me of the Khmu wedding I went to in Laos though. The music was a bit dancier, when the power generator was actually working and before and after they took apart the cd player. I did find some of the Cambodian tunes which were part of the soundtrack to one of the best nights of my trip, in Siem Reap on the first night of Khmer New Year. Turns out I was too drunk to identify my farmyard animals in songs and it's a rooster not a donkey in the first song. This is the stuff, if anyone's interested and has a hankering for Cambodian pop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1zr81gYQpY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL1KCX2eV2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apw23jbvggI

If you haven't already you should check out some of the pre-KR era Cambodian music, some genuinely good stuff there and pretty sad when you hear about the eventual fate of the singers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXn-ddHa3K8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnhI1LGuqTE

I seemed to have missed out on LINE chat a couple of pages back, but my id is tytan17 if anyone wants to add me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Math Debater posted:

The process of moving into my new residence in Hua Hin has been really stressful to me and I'm going through this intense moment of self-doubt. I've been browsing cheapoair looking for flights back to my hometown in the U.S. I'm so neurotic and so insecure and I feel like it's super obvious that I'm grossly unqualified to teach English to Thai children. And I feel that I've come here for selfish and stupid reasons. I've been such an rear end in a top hat to so many people during the past few years of my life, and I feel that it's really evil and repulsive that I've tried to get away from all of the people I've known in my life by moving to the other side of the world. My parents have showered me with love and affection throughout my entire life, and it's super terrible that I've allowed myself to feel anger and ill will toward them for absurd and nonsensical reasons, and I feel super guilty that I've responded to their care and their love and their generosity by trying to get as far away from them as possible.

So, uh, I feel like I have issues that need to be sorted out and I feel like I could be making things worse for myself by being here in Thailand trying to pursue a career that I might not actually really have any genuine intrinsic interest in. Maybe I should've made an e/n thread instead of making this post. I feel pretty paralyzed and unsure about what to do at this current moment in time. Like, maybe I'll take a shower and then go out and buy some drinks and groceries for the place I'm staying in. The people of Thailand seem so kind and the people in this program with me also seem very kind and friendly, and I've turned down invitations to hang out at the beach and drink beer in the process of typing this neurotic and self-centered post. With this in mind, I think I'll try to commit to doing my best to complete the TESOL course, but I also feel really loving tempted to buy a plane ticket back to the U.S.! Argh, I'm so crazy!

English teaching isn't a career hth

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
I haven't even got out of Finland yet and my backpack is already stolen once. Some drunk rear end in a top hat took it from the train when i was having a beer in the restaurant car. He was hassling others and me, and i guess i pissed him off by saying i dont care, go away.

It was found becouse the said idiot told where he was going next and in what train.

The packpack is currently sitting 150 kilometers away from me. Train guys said that i should be able to get it back tomorrow on my way to helsinki. It only has some clothes, chargers and some other stuff. All can be bought in bangkok if needed. The backpack itself is pretty awesome and it would suck not having it with me.

This trip starts good. :argh:

edit: From my place to the airport is "only" 415 kilometers.

Barfolemew fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 1, 2014

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band

Barfolemew posted:

I haven't even got out of Finland yet and my backpack is already stolen once. Some drunk rear end in a top hat took it from the train when i was having a beer in the restaurant car. He was hassling others and me, and i guess i pissed him off by saying i dont care, go away.

It was found becouse the said idiot told where he was going next and in what train.

The packpack is currently sitting 150 kilometers away from me. Train guys said that i should be able to get it back tomorrow on my way to helsinki. It only has some clothes, chargers and some other stuff. All can be bought in bangkok if needed. The backpack itself is pretty awesome and it would suck not having it with me.

This trip starts good. :argh:

edit: From my place to the airport is "only" 415 kilometers.

Think of it as a great story to get a free beer as soon as you hit Khao San! (It can probably be used for about a week)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Look on the bright side, at least you weren't stabbed.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
why on earth would you turn down invitations to go drinking on the beach?

That's how every classic Thailand story starts.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

We really need to start a death pool.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Hua Hin has a Burger King and a McDonald's across the road from each other so foreigners can feel at home right away

Also fat pervy old white men

...so again, just like America :911:

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I shall nominate myself, with one of three causes of death:

1) Scuba diving accident;
2) Death by misadventure, most likely alcohol related (not necessarily my own consumption);
3) My EVA Air flight from Vancouver to Bangkok via Taipei being shot down by Russia.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

We don't need to determine cause. Just a first past the post on who is most likely to die next. You know, for fun...

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Well I'll be impressed if my stay in Bangkok doesn't at least leave me horribly injured in some way.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

I'm motorbiking from Hanoi to Saigon. Currently in Hoi An. Put me on the list.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Tytan posted:

Well I'll be impressed if my stay in Bangkok doesn't at least leave me horribly injured in some way.

I just took a motorcycle taxi and came so very close to horrific injury. Got from Khao San to Phaya Thai in about 4 minutes :stare:

Barfolemew
Dec 5, 2011

Non Serviam
Got my stuff back and now im waiting the boarding time. Liftoff in two hours. 11 hour Flight in economy. gently caress me. Better get drunk.

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

I'm putting my money on Math Debater. Just a feeling.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
It's going to be me. Within the month I'll have trusted one foreigner too many and gotten my head split open by a PCP smoking medical consultant who just really wanted to help me have fun by driving a microphone through my ear.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Finch! posted:

I shall nominate myself, with one of three causes of death:

1) Scuba diving accident;
2) Death by misadventure, most likely alcohol related (not necessarily my own consumption);
3) My EVA Air flight from Vancouver to Bangkok via Taipei being shot down by Russia.

If I make it to the beach (Pattaya or Hua Hin? Decisions, decisions) sometime this year then put me down as eligible for the first one. Although, I have promised that I won't die doing something stupid, simply so that my friends and family don't have to be embarrassed when they tell people about it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Negligent posted:

Also fat pervy old white men

...so again, just like America :911:
Hey, hey, hey - Europe is WAY the gently caress ahead in this particular category.

Math Debater
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm currently feeling pretty good about things at this present moment in time. The TESOL course seems like it won't be difficult and the woman who I paid to do my laundry did a fabulously fantastic job and I've successfully communicated my vegetarianism to Thai people and all the people I've been dealing with do seem very laid back and friendly. So yeah, I'm glad to be here and am looking forward to continuing to experience life in Thailand!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Math Debater posted:

I'm currently feeling pretty good about things at this present moment in time. The TESOL course seems like it won't be difficult and the woman who I paid to do my laundry did a fabulously fantastic job and I've successfully communicated my vegetarianism to Thai people and all the people I've been dealing with do seem very laid back and friendly. So yeah, I'm glad to be here and am looking forward to continuing to experience life in Thailand!

Sounds like a worthless piece of paper then. Not that TESOL is particularly hard at the best of times, but it should at least be exhausting and maybe a little daunting if you are actually going to get anything out of it.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
On the plus side, at least the laundry went well.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I love how unprepared most people who take a TESOL are for actual teaching. That's how I know I'll always have a (low-wage) job.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

poo poo, son, who bothers to get a TESOL? I just rolled up and demanded a (low paying) job.

And I sucked at it for a year. I'm pretty good now, though.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Chair Huxtable posted:

poo poo, son, who bothers to get a TESOL? I just rolled up and demanded a (low paying) job.

And I sucked at it for a year. I'm pretty good now, though.

Speaking as someone who started without training or a TESOL and then learned as he went, I can say I went from "bad" to "successful despite being bad". But the trick there is that I had no idea how bad I was until this month. For the last five years I've had people telling me how awesome I was. I shudder thinking about some of the habits I've had to break and how they affected the kids that grew up with me. It probably sounds like I drank the Kool-Aid, but I'm actually thoroughly impressed with just how comprehensive this course has been, but the caveat to that is the people enrolled in it still have to actually give a drat to get anything out of it. It probably helps that the guys who run the show are published in the field of second language acquisition though and run experiments here not because they're working on a degree or looking for recognition, but because they actually just want to know how learning languages actually works.

Chair Huxtable
Dec 27, 2004

Heavens me, just look at the time

I do not entirely agree with that, but I'll just stop the conversation here, lest we start a slap fight in the thread.

We can always do that in Line, if you want to continue.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
We've done so well for so long to not become just another Asia thread full of ESL teachers (i.e. every other Asia thread aside from Singapore, who are loving SPLITTERS). Please, Lord, grant this thread the serenity...

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

We've done so well for so long to not become just another Asia thread full of ESL teachers (i.e. every other Asia thread aside from Singapore, who are loving SPLITTERS). Please, Lord, grant this thread the serenity...

We were doing pretty well with being a SE Asia community on the internet without the conversation bring centered around whores and how we're all such extreme party animals too.

Ah the good ol days :corsair:

raton fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 2, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Is siam station BTS suicide an option, oh wait the trains are too slow never mind :henget:

cent0r posted:

I'm putting my money on Math Debater. Just a feeling.

Maybe you will die from AIDS because of all the hot lunches you have been eating :iaam:

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Just jump from the top of the station

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

caberham posted:

Is siam station BTS suicide an option, oh wait the trains are too slow never mind :henget:

Maybe you will die from AIDS because of all the hot lunches you have been eating :iaam:

It's a good bet but unfortunately I don't qualify for this pool as I'm no longer in SE Asia. I'm in Egypt and slowly turning into jerky in this drat desert.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You don't put yourself into a death pool you dumb goons. How are you supposed to make any money winning that?

cent0r
Feb 19, 2007

Sheep-Goats posted:

You don't put yourself into a death pool you dumb goons. How are you supposed to make any money winning that?

I don't believe they understand the concept. I learnt about it from watching Dirty Harry - The Dead Pool with a minor but awesome, early appearance with Jim Carrey. Now I'm watching Indy Jones to get psyched for my Giza trip tomorrow. Yeah yeah it was filmed in Tunisia I don't give a gently caress.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Instead of a death pool, I want a death match. Let's say, ReindeerF vs caberham.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Math Debater vs. five jumbo Thai cockroaches

cent0r posted:

I don't believe they understand the concept. I learnt about it from watching Dirty Harry - The Dead Pool with a minor but awesome, early appearance with Jim Carrey. Now I'm watching Indy Jones to get psyched for my Giza trip tomorrow. Yeah yeah it was filmed in Tunisia I don't give a gently caress.

I've hear Cairo is a right horrible fuckover when it comes to tourism let us know

raton fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 2, 2014

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

To bring the thread down a notch, how actually sustainable is esl teaching in SEA? I've always had a terrible bias against people who do it because I wanted to do it myself out of college and never did. I put people who are doing it in the same category as sexpats and backpackers. Is it just a jolly for a year or two and then you go back and get a real job or do people actually try to make a career out of it?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

To bring the thread down a notch, how actually sustainable is esl teaching in SEA? I've always had a terrible bias against people who do it because I wanted to do it myself out of college and never did. I put people who are doing it in the same category as sexpats and backpackers. Is it just a jolly for a year or two and then you go back and get a real job or do people actually try to make a career out of it?

People are legitimately successful making a career out of it, but these are people who genuinely enjoy the classroom setting. SEA also runs on a slightly different model than Korea or Taiwan.

In Korea, people usually only do it for a few years, but then you get a handful of lifers who marry and don't really have any other options to stay in Korea than teaching English forever under the worst conditions imaginable. In Taiwan, the people who stick with it usually find themselves in some kind of a director position and then eventually open up their own school or schools. If you look at the numbers, they're not making as good a salary as someone in the States would with the kind of effort they put in, but the cost of living is so low that they usually end up with a lot of disposable income.

In Thailand, the model appears to be that people get a standard job in the day that gives them a visa and a reliable paycheck and then use their free time building up a personal brand. They might work at a language school in the evening or teach private lessons. They might become teacher trainers at TESOL courses or sell 40 hour courses to banks and corporations. The trick is, they never stop moving and they're always thinking about professional development and making new contacts. It's not all that different than being in sales I'd imagine. Knowing people to get your foot in the door is half the battle. Officially, salaries start at 28,000/month to teach, but with any qualifications or experience, you can get up to 40,000/month pretty fast. Most people who put in effort can double or triple it. With a graduate degree, you can get over 100,000 a month base and the numbers only go up from there. One of the instructors at my course sheepishly admitted to owning 6 motorbikes and at least one of the variety that "the police won't bother pulling over", so he's doing pretty well for himself. I'm sure there are also foreigners who own or co-own their own schools here as well, but it seems like that's less common out here than it was in Taiwan. The impression I get is that they base themselves in Thailand, but own or run schools in Vietnam and Cambodia for passive income.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Atlas Hugged posted:

In Korea, people usually only do it for a few years, but then you get a handful of lifers who marry and don't really have any other options to stay in Korea than teaching English forever under the worst conditions imaginable. In Taiwan, the people who stick with it usually find themselves in some kind of a director position and then eventually open up their own school or schools. If you look at the numbers, they're not making as good a salary as someone in the States would with the kind of effort they put in, but the cost of living is so low that they usually end up with a lot of disposable income.

I met a bunch of people with TESL or on that career track near the beginning of their careers, and mostly their options seemed like a sea of mediocre jobs with crap resources. A few came through the voluntourism teaching thing in Laos I did, treating it as a point on their resume before moving (easily) into jobs elsewhere. Trouble is, it seems like a short ladder. Get to the top and you can sidestep to any number of places, but wages/power/career cred all caps out pretty fast. There's always gonna be a dichotomy between people like me who might do it for a couple years to sustain living in a country and people who are devoted to TESL/expat-life/community, but I'm not sure anyone cares or can tell the difference between the two.

Few weeks ago I picked up a friend at YYJ who'd just flown in from Korea. He'd been over there for twelve years, teaching English at the University level.

quote:

However much I might love certain aspects of Korea, it will never really feel like home. Also, I realized that I had basically topped out in my career track in Korea, and that there was nowhere to go but sideways, or down as the working conditions at many universities were spiralling steadily downward, and the salaries were going nowhere.

First time I've driven someone into Kamloops who is legitimately happy to see it. Welp.

Certain cities in North America tend to be ESL nexus-points where you can't take a step without tripping over a government or private ESL school, but the wages aren't hot, and aiming your career at running one of those seems like more of a business management/education ladder than a classroom TESL ladder.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Dropping in from the China thread:
I've been doing TEFL for 8 years on-and-off. It was a great way to fund going somewhere for several months every summer. Two of those years were full-time year-round gigs. At the end, I was offered an Academic Manager post, which I didn't take. The thing about it being a short ladder is right. Recently I've jumped ship to Higher Education and now teach an undergraduate humanities course at a university. Plenty of room to keep moving up from there.

On the other hand I have friends who like the fact that they can teach with basically zero prep, marking is a breeze, they've become familiar with typical language issues for where they live, and they like the short hours and free time. Three of them are in their 50s and are very happy. Still again, one very capable teacher I know got offered a job in management at a company (client, not school) he was teaching in because they realised he knew his onions during business English lessons. He now makes a nice wedge but his hours are long and to me his job sounds like it is the same every day and unendingly dull. But he's happy.

So yes, worldwide, it can be a career, and for many it is. Every teacher I know in Hong Kong does the thing where you tutor on the side and money is better than your day job per hour. Whatever country you teach in, and whoever you teach, there will always be people who when you say "teaching English" think "alcoholic, lazy, unqualified, bum" - but gently caress those guys.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
There's also the jump from TEFL to being an international school teacher. Get a Master's in Education/some sort of teaching license in a western country, head to the Bangkok international school career fair/Search/professional fair, then get a job.

Oh the pay is good and on par with a western salary + housing, but the hours are long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

simplefish posted:

Whatever country you teach in, and whoever you teach, there will always be people who when you say "teaching English" think "alcoholic, lazy, unqualified, bum" - but gently caress those guys.
Hey now, this thread include Cambodia, where this is basically the truth!