Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

what's the balance for when the car risks your life to save someone else's? 0%? with humans nothing is quantifiable so it's all a gray area. once you have hard numbers, things become a lot more complex.

l l l look at you p p pedestrian

a pa pa path pathetic c creature of meat and bone

panting and sweating as you r run through my roadways

how can you challenge a p perfect immortal machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

l l l look at you p p pedestrian

a pa pa path pathetic c creature of meat and bone

panting and sweating as you r run through my roadways

how can you challenge a p perfect immortal machine

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

ufarn posted:

they are such a loving joke of a company

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

conviction of two misdemeanors sure is nothing

Erzinger allegedly veered onto the side of the road and hit Milo from behind. Milo was thrown to the pavement, while Erzinger struck a culvert and kept driving, according to court documents. Erzinger drove all the way through Avon, the town's roundabouts, under I-70 and stopped in the Pizza Hut parking lot where he called the Mercedes auto assistance service to report damage to his vehicle, and asked that his car be towed. He did not ask for law enforcement assistance, according to court records. When Avon police arrived he was putting a broken side mirror and a bumper in his trunk. Meanwhile another motorist, Steven Lay of Eagle, stopped to help Milo and called 911.

Milo, 34, is a physician living in New York City with his wife and two children, where he is still recovering from his injuries, court records show. Milo suffered spinal cord injuries, bleeding from his brain and damage to his knee and scapula. Over the past six weeks he has suffered "disabling" spinal headaches and faces multiple surgeries for a herniated disc and plastic surgery to fix the scars he suffered in the accident. "He will have lifetime pain," Haddon wrote. "His ability to deal with the physical challenges of his profession - liver transplant surgery - has been seriously jeopardized."

Erzinger manages more than $1 billion in assets. He would have to publicly disclose any felony charge within 30 days, according to North American Securities Dealers regulations. "Felony convictions have some pretty serious job implications for someone in Mr. Erzinger's profession, and that entered into it," Hurlbert said. "When you're talking about restitution, you don't want to take away his ability to pay."

he hired kobe bryant's lawyer lmao

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

A Morgan Stanley wealth manager will not face felony charges for a hit-and-run because Colorado prosecutors don't want him to lose his job.

what

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Progressive JPEG posted:

Erzinger manages more than $1 billion in assets. He would have to publicly disclose any felony charge within 30 days, according to North American Securities Dealers regulations. "Felony convictions have some pretty serious job implications for someone in Mr. Erzinger's profession, and that entered into it," Hurlbert said. "When you're talking about restitution, you don't want to take away his ability to pay."
gently caress these "people" to death

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

gently caress these "people" to death

if money manager dude is smart he'll offer to manage the large settlement he inevitably has to pay and get COMMISSIONS MOTHERFUCKER

ufarn
May 30, 2009
thatd be funny if google didnt literally create the shodan institut- i mean the singularity institute

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yeah that story does sound so completely clear cut and with such a one-dimensionally unsympathetic designated villain that it sounds more like a hack screenwriter would put out but nope, it actually happened

congrats on noticing just now that rich people in america are mostly above the law tho

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the CEO of a food service corporation was caught on security cam beating his dog in an elevator

he lied and said it was his friend's dog and claimed that he "lost his temper" and this behaviour was "out of character" for him

it of course turned out that it was his dog (a doberman, natch) and the SPCA found it crated in a puddle of its own filth with food and water out of reach

he is on "indefinite probation" with his company and was made to shell out a bunch of money to charity. but he gets to keep his job

a major Canadian newspaper then ran a piece telling us all to lay of the poor man who has clearly suffered enough and stop boycotting his employer and this just shows how The Progressive Left has defective morals and cares more about animals than humans

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PleasureKevin posted:

A Morgan Stanley wealth manager will not face felony charges for a hit-and-run because Colorado prosecutors don't want him to lose his job.

what

wasn't that the case where the victim asked the prosecutors to not go for the felony because if convicted of that he'd be judgement proof?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

THC posted:

the CEO of a food service corporation was caught on security cam beating his dog in an elevator

he lied and said it was his friend's dog and claimed that he "lost his temper" and this behaviour was "out of character" for him

it of course turned out that it was his dog (a doberman, natch) and the SPCA found it crated in a puddle of its own filth with food and water out of reach

he is on "indefinite probation" with his company and was made to shell out a bunch of money to charity. but he gets to keep his job

a major Canadian newspaper then ran a piece telling us all to lay of the poor man who has clearly suffered enough and stop boycotting his employer and this just shows how The Progressive Left has defective morals and cares more about animals than humans

link?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

http://fortune.com/2014/08/25/dog-abuse-video-stadium-food-centerplate-des-hague/
http://www.smh.com.au/world/ceo-desmond-hague-caught-on-camera-kicking-doberman-puppy-in-lift-of-luxury-condos-20140828-109d77.html
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/08/28/brian-hutchinson-executives-dog-abuse-elevated-into-a-tragedy-by-animal-lovers/

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

THC posted:

sometimes I read the National Post because I need to get really angry

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
wow what a piece of poo poo, his apology is some classic victim blaming

quote:

In a statement released yesterday through his attorney, Hague apologized and said the incident was, “completely and utterly out of character.” He continued: “I am ashamed and deeply embarrassed… a minor frustration with a friend’s pet caused me to lose control of my emotional response… I would like to extend my apology to my family, company and clients, as I understand that this has also reflected negatively on them.”

who victim blames a puppy???

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

some people see animals as inanimate objects that are their property to do whatever they want to

these people also get angry about laws preventing them from treating humans the same way

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

the computer isn't omniscient either, 200ms is still a very short amount of time

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

http://velodynelidar.com/lidar/products/brochure/HDL-64E%20S2%20datasheet_2010_lowres.pdf
200ms is between 1 and 3 frames from their fancy lidar system

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

my engineer friend has totally drunk the google car kool aid. keeps misconstruing my argument as "robot cars are not possible even theoretically" instead of "this lovely company is lying to you and is years if not decades away from a marketable product"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

a person walking at 3.1 miles/hour would have moved about 11" in 200ms so i guess the solution would be to turn slightly aside

if theyre sprinting out in the road at the speed of an olympic runner then theyd be pretty far along but id expect a regular driver's liability would have been reduced in that case anyway

but yeah thatll be a fun court case whenever it happens

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

THC posted:

my engineer friend has totally drunk the google car kool aid. keeps misconstruing my argument as "robot cars are not possible even theoretically" instead of "this lovely company is lying to you and is years if not decades away from a marketable product"

boy you sure would have owned him if google was even offering preorders!!

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

THC posted:

classic case of spergs focusing on the details instead of the big picture. for example:

Progressive JPEG posted:

a person walking at 3.1 miles/hour would have moved about 11" in 200ms so i guess the solution would be to turn slightly aside

if theyre sprinting out in the road at the speed of an olympic runner then theyd be pretty far along but id expect a regular driver's liability would have been reduced in that case anyway

but yeah thatll be a fun court case whenever it happens

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

These happy little guys have soft foam for their fronts so your pedestrian is going to be enveloped in a self-driving hug.

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

*beep* *beep* I herald the coming machine apocalypse *beep* *beep*

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
(o)                                                                                                                                (o)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

good poo poo

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

dazjw posted:

These happy little guys have soft foam for their fronts so your pedestrian is going to be enveloped in a self-driving hug.

somebody posted a thing about how google basically payed some guy to buidl this thing in his garage and left a number of critical design decisions to whatever said guy wanted to do

somebody source that plz

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

every loving time, lol

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

duTrieux. posted:

somebody posted a thing about how google basically payed some guy to buidl this thing in his garage and left a number of critical design decisions to whatever said guy wanted to do

somebody source that plz

google is what you get when you give a bunch of autistic children a billion dollars so yeah that wouldn't surprise me

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ufarn posted:

they are such a loving joke of a company

quote:

Would you buy a self-driving car that couldn’t drive itself in 99 percent of the country? Or that knew nearly nothing about parking, couldn’t be taken out in snow or heavy rain, and would drive straight over a gaping pothole?

gosh, i sure wouldn't!

quote:

Of course, Google isn’t yet selling its now-famous robotic vehicle

oh okay then

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Google basically builds technology demos to distract people from the fact that they are an advertising company. not much more to it than that

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

The Management posted:

Google basically builds technology demos to distract people from the fact that they are an advertising company. not much more to it than that

to be fair doubleclick didn't even do that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

raruler posted:

to be fair doubleclick didn't even do that

and everyone hated them. Google has a bunch of star-struck futurist nerds lapping it up and repeating "don't be evil"

self driving cars and Google glass and all that other poo poo are an advertisement for google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

postin to check in to see if google unleashed a useable thing yet

• Locked thread