Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Since today is a holiday the really interesting poo poo won't be going down until tomorrow and afterwards. I have to imagine that pedophile guy gets shitcanned and his firing could start a purge as organizations seek to rid themselves of employees who openly hate their target demographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I literally thought this was just some tawdry gossip story like...four days ago. No, I guess it was a week, huh? This was like...this was a nothing bit of "he said, she said". Now it's somehow turned into the loving goddamn apocalypse, but I don't really know who it is armageddon for.

games journalism was always poo poo, people are just mad about it now

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

Hey now, it's nowhere near as ridiculous as the giant 5,000+ word diatribe the ex paid $10 just to post here before he was immediately banned.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to regret asking, but what page is this on?

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
No he made a thread in Games that was almost immediately deleted (not just gassed). It was just what he said in his tumblr post.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

univbee posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to regret asking, but what page is this on?

Welcome to the newest incarnation of "Every day a new low", sweet univbee.

When the two streams merge, I'm going to die.

No wait, I want three streams to merge. I want leaked cellphone nudes of Larry Hryb loving Zoe Quinn and Maya.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So, with the latest news about the PR lady, the entire indie dev scene is just a pile of massive corruption, correct? I remember someone saying before all the journalists started a jihad against the word 'gamer' that the reason no one was willing to officially report about Zoe Quinn was because they were scared, now it's perfectly understandable why lol

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Maxwell Adams posted:

Actually the next step in crazy is this right here:

Check out this thing if you want to feel like you're in a movie about hacking.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

I hope that Rami guy doesn't end up being a scumbag. He seems okay.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

From the articles I've seen, there's still nobody (no 'journalists' anyway) willing to report negatively on Zoe. Just hysteria about internet misogynists and a big distraction - probably deliberate - about the meaning of being a gamer or whatever the gently caress. Her press cronies are pretty effortlessly directing the discussion towards talking points that are even more loving irrelevant.

E: The integrity of games journalism is completely unimportant. Cliques of hipsters sabotaging people's ability to do business really kind of is.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 1, 2014

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Clearly yes, you loving idiot. What do you think a conspiracy is?

This stood out to me when he said it, because he clearly thinks "friends at work" to be the entire industry, including PR and press industries. His literal work is a 2 person team.

FAROOQ fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 1, 2014

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

FAROOQ posted:

Clearly yes, you loving idiot. What do you think a conspiracy is?

so you're saying if you're a journalist you need to be completely isolated and not actually interact with anyone in your field?

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

it's weird that hosts are deleting websites and Wikipedia admins are deleting entire discussions about this, though; you figure they wouldn't have a dog in this fight or w/e, is it from fear of a massive wave of doxxing?

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I hope the end result of all of this is the death of online game journalism. There is absolutely nothing worth redeeming in game journalism.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

rainy day posted:

so you're saying if you're a journalist you need to be completely isolated and not actually interact with anyone in your field?

Hi rami. You loving idiot

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

rainy day posted:

If I call you a retard, does that trigger you?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

turnways posted:

it's weird that hosts are deleting websites and Wikipedia admins are deleting entire discussions about this, though; you figure they wouldn't have a dog in this fight or w/e, is it from fear of a massive wave of doxxing?

Reddit left up an entire subreddit devoted exclusively to spreading around hacked leaked celebrity nudes, but any Zoe Quinn stuff gets wiped in minutes. The celeb nudes subreddit is still up over 24 hours later, and apparently endorsed by admins.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It might be that they just want nothing to do with the whole shitstorm. It doesn't fully explain why they only shut down critics of Zoe (honestly can't remember which side is meant to be the SJW one anymore). Perhaps they just see the press sites as established and legitimate, and not something to wash their hands of pronto?

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
I really can't understand how so many seemingly unconnected parts of the internet all seem to be in lock-step agreement about this.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
it's been two weeks now and this is just getting better and better

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
PCGUK is doing similar on their website atm, falling over themselves to give coverage to anita's death threats but have been deleting anything that try to put a larger context over things. i mean gently caress, burn the folk who do genuinely troll and all that but it looks really self defeating

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

XK posted:

Reddit left up an entire subreddit devoted exclusively to spreading around hacked leaked celebrity nudes, but any Zoe Quinn stuff gets wiped in minutes. The celeb nudes subreddit is still up over 24 hours later, and apparently endorsed by admins.

This is not a valid comparison considering one involves some barely-known indie dev versus some of the most famous women in the world. Do you think Reddit has any way of stifling that conversation even if they wanted to?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

EasternBronze posted:

I really can't understand how so many seemingly unconnected parts of the internet all seem to be in lock-step agreement about this.

Because the majority of the blogosphere is one giant loving echo chamber that will not tolerate countering opinions and the lovely SJW culture has been allowed to fester and spread as a result.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

EasternBronze posted:

Exactly, this is all the kind of nasty petty poo poo that goes on in regular corruption. But it's it's happening around socially maladjusted games hipsters instead, so it's just pathetic and hilarious. I cannot believe that morons like Phil loving Fish genuinely have their hooks in the actual world of business.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I bet Hyrbs Internet sex tastes involve flamboyant homosexual devilry.

Explosive Tampons
Jul 9, 2014

Your days are gone!!!

Are you a bad enough dude to stop feminism and rescue the president

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Japanese Phone Box posted:

Are you a bad enough zhude to stop feminism and rescue the president

ftfy cis scum

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

turnways posted:

wikipedia and reddit admins is totally understandable given that it takes a special kind of person to care enough about an internet cesspit to spend hundreds of hours moderating it

the host taking down a website is weird as heck though, I wouldn't be surprised to see it come out that somebody knows someone else.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Proteus4994 posted:

This is not a valid comparison considering one involves some barely-known indie dev versus some of the most famous women in the world. Do you think Reddit has any way of stifling that conversation even if they wanted to?

They could easily choose to not allow it on their site.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP
It's like a pathetic SJW version of the wingnut welfare circuit at this point.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
it's really cool that there are people scoffing and trying hard to not read about some grade-A hilarity you have no idea what you're missing

samurai slowdown posted:

It's like a pathetic SJW version of the wingnut welfare circuit at this point.

horseshoe theory

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Proteus4994 posted:

a mod hand deleted 22k posts about zoe quinn
i'm sure the entire team of mods could stop this other poo poo if they cared

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

turnways posted:

clearly game journalism sjws have infiltrated the highest echelons of the internet and are censoring anyone they consider a threat.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
Probably this type of best-friends club type corruption isn't rare in the world but the ubiquity of social media combined with how, shall we say, "unconventionally socialized" someone who makes their life around videogames is just creates the perfect storm. I'm not surprised people are pissed. Videogames are supposed to be fun and games, noone wants their hobby to get taken over by the kind of bullshit you deal with and work or in the news.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

XK posted:

If I call you a retard, does that trigger you?

if i call you a delusional, alex jones calibur fuckwit will you poo poo your pants?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

rainy day posted:

Either you're dense as gently caress, or you failed Asking Rhetorical Questions 101.

Speaking to colleagues, discussing events, disagreeing, reasoning, bouncing ideas of one another are all good, healthy things that we want a legitimate press to do. This is obvious to anyone with a mote of objectivity floating around in their heads.

Meeting, agreeing to a shared agenda, colluding to push that agenda, and concurrently presenting that agenda as completely spontaneous is conspiracy. It's Americans For Prosperity in horn-rimmed glasses.

But hey, you're "Just asking questions" right?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

zen death robot posted:

If I was a gaming journalist I wouldn't give a gently caress about this story and would rather be reporting on Epic poo poo like the next Mario Kart 8 update or the new Bungie release that's about to drop.

Actually thats a lie, if I was a gaming journalist I'd probably wonder how I hosed up my journalism career so badly that this is what I've become, but I still wouldn't give a poo poo that some blue-haired girl made a bad game and hosed a few guys.

The problem is that she uses her twitter army and press connections to shut down rival devs and deny them publicity.

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Brannock posted:

it's been two weeks now and this is just getting better and better

The info-circle that posted was absent of Klepek? I just want Gerstmann to be the overall manipulator in this awesome thunderdome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

rainy day posted:

clearly game journalism sjws have infiltrated the highest echelons of the internet and are censoring anyone they consider a threat.

You apparently have nothing to add to this discussion except for a bunch of "nuh uh"s and "what a loony conspiracy theory".

• Locked thread