Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Well its your opinion, but the only characters I really liked were Varic and Avelaine because they seemed like cool guys. The others... not so much.

And Dues ex was better in almost every way, and AP? poo poo, there was a game where your choices meant something. The only game with less choice in it than DA2 was that dreadful "heroes" game from Choice of Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If you want to compare them worst for worst, DA2 still comes out behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBatUrTKk18&hd=1

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

"Well sheeeee-it."

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

The Sharmat posted:

If you want to compare them worst for worst, DA2 still comes out behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBatUrTKk18&hd=1

I'm not sure how that's worse. The only scene worse than Letitia comes from Origins, which is a good enough game overall to ignore it.

I liked HR and AP but they feel less like RPGs to me and more like first person shooters with stats and dialogue trees. HR definitely had worse dialogue than either DA game. AP was amazing but so unpolished that I literally couldn't finish one playthrough.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I actually couldn't decide if that or Felicia Day's character were a better example so I posted a video with both.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Sharmat posted:

I actually couldn't decide if that or Felicia Day's character were a better example so I posted a video with both.

That dlc had neat environments but jesus christ was poorly written. I guess any environment beyond the drab grey town of Kirkwall is neat, though.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I can only wonder what a voice actress thinks when she has to read lines like "I got your nose!"

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

The Sharmat posted:

I can only wonder what a voice actress thinks when she has to read lines like "I got your nose!"

i could have sworn she wrote that one. Or am I just getting it confused with the terrible youtube series she did with that character.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

DA2's dialogue, plots, and characters aren't miles above modern RPGs. Hell, DA2's dialogue, plot and characters are barely above Street Fighter 4.

Bored posted:

i could have sworn she wrote that one. Or am I just getting it confused with the terrible youtube series she did with that character.

Either way, Felicia Day is no stranger to garbage dialogue.

Zelder fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 1, 2014

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
JRPGs are a perpetual punching bag for people who like to ridicule embarrassing videogame writing, but even they've provided a bunch of modern games with more interesting themes, more intriguing worlds, and more original narrative techniques than loving Dragon Age 2. Nier and Dark Souls spring to mind immediately.

But you don't need to go that far afield, you can go a couple doors down at the same offices and find Mass Effect 2.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Xenoblade Chronicles had better plot, dialogue, and characters than DA2. Also, gameplay. Also, everything else.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Zelder posted:

Xenoblade Chronicles had better plot, dialogue, and characters than DA2. Also, gameplay. Also, everything else.

I really can't think you're being serious, especially taking this post in context with your last one.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Zombies' Downfall posted:

JRPGs are a perpetual punching bag for people who like to ridicule embarrassing videogame writing, but even they've provided a bunch of modern games with more interesting themes, more intriguing worlds, and more original narrative techniques than loving Dragon Age 2. Nier and Dark Souls spring to mind immediately.

But you don't need to go that far afield, you can go a couple doors down at the same offices and find Mass Effect 2.

I'd go so far as to argue that Mass Effect 3 had better plot, setting, characters, and dialog than DA2.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Darth Windu posted:

I really can't think you're being serious, especially taking this post in context with your last one.

Okay, I'll come clean: DA2 has better plot than Street Fighter.

But I did like every part of Xenoblade Chronicles (except for like...the very last three minutes of the plot)., and I didn't really like any part of DA2. I'd rather take likable characters and a functional plot, over terrible characters and a completely dysfunctional plot.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Origins was awesome. DA2 was loving garbage. The art style was basically the MLG Mario video.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the only rpg with worse characters than DA2 is demon rush

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Zelder posted:

??? The troll ratio is already filled up in this thread. Find another gimmick.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm not convinced Darth Windu is a troll, so we can fit in at least one more.

Also if that isn't true, why isn't Anders in the new Smash Bros. instead of Shulk?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Wait, has the goon consensus swung back against Xenoblade Chronicles? I really liked that game, haha.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Origins was awesome. DA2 was loving garbage. The art style was basically the MLG Mario video.

Origins was a mediocre game, better than DA2 but the combat was pretty boring.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Zelder posted:

Wait, has the goon consensus swung back against Xenoblade Chronicles? I really liked that game, haha.

I'm assuming people are thinking you're talking about Xenosaga or Xenogears because otherwise the world makes no sense to me

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

While DA2 was a massive disappointment I'll at least concede that I do appreciate the fact that Bioware made combat "flashier" and quicker. Unfortunatly they also thought that waves of enemies that can appear everywhere, making any tactical plan beyond "scorched earth" useless, was a good idea.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Did any news come out of PAX Prime?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sylphosaurus posted:

While DA2 was a massive disappointment I'll at least concede that I do appreciate the fact that Bioware made combat "flashier" and quicker. Unfortunatly they also thought that waves of enemies that can appear everywhere, making any tactical plan beyond "scorched earth" useless, was a good idea.

Think like a general. Specifically, Sherman.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Spikeguy posted:

Did any news come out of PAX Prime?

A bit, yeah. Solas is race and gender locked to female elves, which has caused much consternation tumblr-wide, and they revealed all the multiplayer classes. Multiplayer was apparently so popular at PAX they had to cap the lines to keep within fire-codes. They showed off the Dragon Age Keep pretty in-depth, and demonstrated something called the Inquisitor HQ for tinkering with your multiplayer characters when you aren't actually playing. I haven't actually seen any pictures of the HQ on-line, but it was part of their scheduled itinerary so I assume they got around to it.

Oh, and Cole will always have the hat, "regardless of what headgear you give him."

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 1, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Can't wait to see Solas maligned constantly as a "fantasy racist" for not wanting to date outside his species.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Oh, and speaking of fantasy racism :razz:, there are rumors the last race-locked romance is actually one of the ones already revealed. Big money's on Cullen because apparently he said a rude thing about dwarves in Origins or something.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Haha.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

RentACop posted:

I'm assuming people are thinking you're talking about Xenosaga or Xenogears because otherwise the world makes no sense to me

Oh yeah that makes more sense. I was genuinely confused for a second.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Yeah, Xenoblade is the poo poo, despite being anime and on the Wii, so I don't know what's wrong with people.

More on topic, I'm concerned that I'm excited about this game. I mean, this is Bioware we're talking about, but I have a hard time imagining it being worse off than DA2 was.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Mass Effect and Dragon Age are two separate dev teams, right? Is there anything shared between them aside from branding and enginework?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Well Patrick Weekes, who was recently moved to DAI, was on the Mass Effect writing staff. His record is...checkered, to say the least. On the one hand, he's at least partially responsible for Mordin and Tuchanka in ME3. On the other hand, he's responsible for ME2 Tali, and the stupid Pinocchio story of the Geth in ME3.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Outside of her weird romance line, I thought ME2 Tali was fine.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
There wasn't much to her besides her romance line (and the trial, which is just there so Shepard can rescue her and set up her romance line). A problem Garrus also shared in ME2.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Can't wait to see Solas maligned constantly as a "fantasy racist" for not wanting to date outside his species.

I'm not defending racism... or fantasy racism... or speciesism... But if anyone has a reason to not date outside their species, it's probably Dragon Age's elves since if they have a kid with any other species, it's always the species that isn't elf, instead of a hybrid. So, Solas has more ground to be selective than most.

I like the idea of various gender locked (or unlocked) and species locked romances, even if it reflects poorly on the character. It makes them have more depth, and it's more realistic. Plus, I like the idea of them making content for only small segments of players. The game is more interesting when if you replay a specific gender and race (female elves), you get exclusive content for that origin.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 2, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Why is there anything wrong with speciesism? It's not like "race". Species are actually different. You'd be a fool to say a dog has color vision as good as a human, or that a human can smell as well as a dog.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Why is there anything wrong with speciesism? It's not like "race". Species are actually different. You'd be a fool to say a dog has color vision as good as a human, or that a human can smell as well as a dog.

I think if we were to live in a world with multiple sentient species, I'd like to say I'd look down upon people who didn't date other people solely based on their species, in the same way I look down upon people who don't date outside their ethnicity. It's not as different (or hosed up) as saying "I don't date dogs because they're not my species," since dogs aren't actually anywhere near the human level of consciousness or intelligence. Plus, all the species in Thedas can reproduce with each other, which suggests they aren't very far apart at all in a biological sense.

I think I'm going to stop discussing this here though because I'm reminding myself of the infamous Tali sweat post now... I do hope there's additional origin locked content that is as substantial as entire romance storylines though. Certainly Qunari mages deserve some exclusive content.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 2, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I really don't think I'd look down on someone for not being attracted to Neanderthals if they were still around, despite their likely very similar cognitive abilities.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yes, avoiding that topic is the right choice for all of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Darth Windu posted:

HR definitely had worse dialogue than either DA game

Yeah, rip.

• Locked thread