Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Slate Slabrock posted:

How the hell was this running for 10 years:

I've found that when they dry up, there's a chance the systems will go back to running stable again. It's the period when they start bulging and leaking they will have issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evobatman posted:

I've found that when they dry up, there's a chance the systems will go back to running stable again. It's the period when they start bulging and leaking they will have issues.

It's a sad thing that you actually waited to find out instead of dumping them in the sea and setting up new ones. :(

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

poo poo that is pissing me off right now: I'm trying to upload a possibly infected virus attachment to mcafee's site, as a scan doesn't detect it. However, it's a hugely dodgy email so it's almost certainly some kind of malware.

However, mcafee's piece of poo poo website that doesn't work properly in IE11 is just crashes when I attempt to upload the file. When I try in Chrome, it starts the upload (of a 300kb) file and just gives a process bar that doesn't move. Sigh. I feel like I'd be better off not doing anything and hoping no one opens that drat file.

Edit: Next step, send infected file in an email to Mcafee. (Here Fuckers, you get a virus!) [Was submitted fine, and I even got a nice auto reply too]

IllusionistTrixie fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 1, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
As part of the switch to a new boss there's an office move. With the new boss arriving my original boss is having to give up his huge corner office for one maybe half the size. It's on executive row right next to the CEO but he's pissed off because he used to have room for a couch and small conference table, and was in a quiet corner with a lovely view. He does get a 60" TV now and still has a decent view. His assistant also had to move and over the last few months she had spread out to occupy most of a quad cubicle. Now she has to use one of the terribly designed custom assistant workspaces that offers less than half the counter space.

On top of this in the space of about eight months we completely maxed out our floor. They're making it worse by taking down cubicles and erecting small offices. This doesn't come as a surprise to a few of us who knew we wouldn't make it even a year, but the solution is going to be getting another floor in this building. Unfortunately it will be a floor the uses a different bank of elevators so anyone wanting to go between them has to go down to the lobby first.

There's no planning when it comes to operations. They're the poster child for reactive management.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

People making a new ticket to say "problem x has been fixed, thanks!" instead if ya know, putting that on the existing ticket.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bob Morales posted:

People making a new ticket to say "problem x has been fixed, thanks!" instead if ya know, putting that on the existing ticket.

Whatever, it makes my stats look good.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Pissing me off today:

- CodeTwo's software for managing email signatures, which I'm trialling because they keep wanting to advertise the latest $product_no_one_cares_about in email banners and trying to push new signatures manually every week or two is getting a bit time consuming.
Good in principle, better than the basic disclaimer support in Exchange itself, but it is possibly the slowest software I've ever seen - you know in the dark ages of 486s and early Pentiums you'd be typing away in Word 95 and it'd stop to thrash at the disk for a few minutes then suddenly your words would appear on the screen? It's like that, but all the time.
It also makes an unholy mess of the HTML, but I believe Outlook prefers it that way.

- A meeting being called just to pin a deadline on me. Because some of my colleagues in other departments have this mentality of "I want this thing done and I want it now, so if I call a meeting, put them on the spot and have it Written Down In The Minutes(TM) (the company's magic bullet) then it'll put some formal pressure on X to get it done asap"
I did however see straight through it and asked whether a meeting was really necessary because yes I know you want it done, I'm working as fast as I can, priorities and deadlines can be negotiated just fine through actually talking to me like a normal human being or going through line management, and the more time I spend sat in all these meetings being grilled by someone who wants their poo poo done faster, the less time I have free to do the actual work.
It got cancelled :) I was in a grumpy enough mood to be effective in getting my point across firmly.

Amusing me today:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28977840
A printer that comes to your desk? Better not tell anyone, orgasms will be had. And we'd never hear the last of "we NEED one of those robotic printers"

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

Unfortunately it will be a floor the uses a different bank of elevators so anyone wanting to go between them has to go down to the lobby first.

I'm sure you should be able to fix that without too much difficulty. I mean just move the thing over to the other thing and you're done, right? What's so hard about that?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

GargleBlaster posted:

Amusing me today:
A printer that comes to your desk? Better not tell anyone, orgasms will be had. And we'd never hear the last of "we NEED one of those robotic printers"

Yeah, I'm guessing it would take about 90 seconds after the first one got set up for every self-important rear end in a top hat in the office to demand one of their own. "Because it takes like a whole minute for it to get to me, I'm too busy and important to wait that long for a printout! I need one that won't ever move more than 2 meters from my desk."

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

stubblyhead posted:

I'm sure you should be able to fix that without too much difficulty. I mean just move the thing over to the other thing and you're done, right? What's so hard about that?

All joking aside, my last company expanded into adjacent floors, and had the stairways modified to allow easy movement between floors. They WERE on the top of the building, so not having to worry about people above taking the stairs in an emergency helped , but it's totally possible to renovate pathways that don't go through the lobby.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

We had north half of the 12th floor, when we expanded to south half of 11th floor we had builders put in a staircase between them. It's a solveable problem.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Not if you're a bunch of penny pinchers who can't work out that it's going to cost more money in the long term for the company to be entirely split in two.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Thanks Ants posted:

Not if you're a bunch of penny pinchers who can't work out that it's going to cost more money in the long term for the company to be entirely split in two.

Psssh, "long term." If the term is longer than a fiscal quarter, we don't give a gently caress about it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress the future, there's assets to be stripped!

mewse
May 2, 2006

GargleBlaster posted:

Amusing me today:

Subject: New ticket - Robot delivers to Sandra instead of Susan
Body: Please fix ASAP

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

quote:

However, some analysts argued that the idea was not cost effective when compared with other secure printing methods.

:monocle:

mewse
May 2, 2006

I need to become an investment analyst

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

luminalflux posted:

We had north half of the 12th floor, when we expanded to south half of 11th floor we had builders put in a staircase between them. It's a solveable problem.

There will be about eight floors between them. Also we don't own this building so we can't do anything interesting.

At this point my concern is that the CEO will do something really dumb like get one of the top floors and move all the executives up there, twenty stories away. And then tell me to move the server room up there and make the current floor the supplementary one. It's all doable of course but I don't enjoy doing difficult tasks just because no one will tell the CEO when he has a bad idea.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Then you'll have to link the floors with point-to-point wireless suction-cupped to the windows.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Thanks Ants posted:

Then you'll have to link the floors with point-to-point wireless suction-cupped to the windows.

Suction cups are too expensive, just use a router velcroed to the guy who washes windows.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
A complicated system of external mirrors, and magnifying glasses.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I think this will solve the technical issues:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

There will be about eight floors between them. Also we don't own this building so we can't do anything interesting.

Neither did we, we leaned on the building owners to do it. It having the name of our media group on it might have been a factor, but prob not a huge.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I am starting to get really envious of some of our other departments that have set duties and projects. Our SAN guy knows he's going to work on the SAN, the VMWare guy is going to work on VM's and policies that affect them. Meanwhile our group has grown in duties, then lost some, gained more, been split in two and now the only thing I know I'll be doing when I get to work is wishing I didn't.
In the next month or so we're deploying phones to new locations, deploying new network equipment and circuits to others, eventually deploying phones, setting up 4-5 video conference systems, at some point deploying some wireless gear for boardrooms, and upgrading some ancient appliances to new versions.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Bob Morales posted:

My helpdesk reopened a ticket about their computer not working (new hire who couldn't find the power button....) to add an issue saying their address book title is inaccurate.

Keeping in mind we have a separate queue for requests.

Also, I hate demanding users (as we all). Someone who having trouble with a program. That program's analyst calls them.

I WANT SOMEONE TO COME AND FIX IT PERSONALLYYYYYY :qq:

So the poor guy transfers it to us with that in the worklog pretty much.

Never mind the whole thing can be done remotely. She's pretty infamous for being a very petulant and rude person who doesn't understand anything about computer or that there are different teams responsible for different things. I've resolved to ignore the ticket until the SLA comes up. My lead probably won't follow the embargo as he's too soft, even though he gets the worst of it.

On another note, why is it people can get away with being rude at work? I don't understand it. There's a certain decorum that should be expected at work. Nobody cares how stressed you are. This same user is known to say to her own people "oh don't mind me, I just have my moments teehee". No gently caress you lady, you don't get to act like an rear end in a top hat and then say no keepsies afterward. You're at work, you're an adult, act like it. Your personality issues are your problem, fix it or get out. I've had to pay the piper with regard to letting stress get to me at work and learned what the experience was trying to teach me, and I'm half your age.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Sep 2, 2014

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
poo poo that's pissing me off:

Having to wear a tie once every 2 or so months and not being able to remember how to do them because of the infrequent use. Time to buy a drat clip on.

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

dogstile posted:

poo poo that's pissing me off:

Having to wear a tie once every 2 or so months and not being able to remember how to do them because of the infrequent use. Time to buy a drat clip on.

I leave mine tied and just loosen it enough to slip over my head. Get someone to do a giga-fancy knot and then never undo it.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Sir_Substance posted:

I leave mine tied and just loosen it enough to slip over my head. Get someone to do a giga-fancy knot and then never undo it.

I think I've had the same knot for the last 6 years

I don't wear a suit very often

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
This site is a handy reference: http://www.tie-a-tie.net/

If you can't tie a tie, use that site and learn. This is a basic skill you are expected to know by your age.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

guppy posted:

If you can't tie a tie, use that site and learn. This is a basic skill you are expected to know by your age.

I actually used that site this morning. I did two months ago too. I forget things I don't use very often :shrug:

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
My secondary school had a mandatory uniform including a tie, so five or six years of repetition certainly helped with remembering how to tie one when I need to. :v:

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Full windsor knot; it's the only way to tie.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Eldredge knot

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

guppy posted:

This is a basic skill you are expected to know by your age.

I'll be honest, at some point a skill that was relevant in times gone by becomes something other then a basic skill. I'm not sure we really still expect people to know how to re-inkify a typewriter, I can't use fax machines with the intuitive grace that I would apply to the touch screen of a modern tablet and truthfully, we're at a stage where if I'm wearing a tie in your presence, it's because I assume you're a shallow person who is incapable of judging people on merits and has to resort to judging on appearance, so since I'm insulting you anyway it doesn't really fuss me all that much that the knot was tied by the man who sold me the suit.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

guppy posted:

Meh, its going the way of cursive writing. Times change.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Venusy posted:

My secondary school had a mandatory uniform including a tie, so five or six years of repetition certainly helped with remembering how to tie one when I need to. :v:

My first day of secondary school had a child nearly choke to death on his tie because people kept "nutting" eachother (pulling eachothers ties). After that we weren't allowed to wear ties anymore :v:

dogstile fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 2, 2014

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

The four in hand is both the easiest and best looking. Just learn it.

http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~tmf20/tieknots.shtml is a much more interesting look at ties, as well as some more formalized instructions for the tying of most knots.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

good jovi posted:

The four in hand is both the easiest and best looking. Just learn it.

Best looking? It's a sloppy rear end looking knot. Half windsor is probably the most well-known as is best for day to day use unless you want to look like you don't care about knowing how to tie a tie any better than your 14 year old nephew.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

baquerd posted:

Best looking? It's a sloppy rear end looking knot. Half windsor is probably the most well-known as is best for day to day use unless you want to look like you don't care about knowing how to tie a tie any better than your 14 year old nephew.

symmetricality is for ESPN anchors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

good jovi posted:

symmetricality is for ESPN anchors

Take your four in hand and go out partying in style, or to a friendly dinner all you want. Wearing one for business is generally wrong though.