Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It really is, especially if you and the other players can come to an unspoken consensus to pair up with one of the Ruin Sentinels. There was a movie/book a while back, called the Three Musketeers. That's what this is, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Unpredictability is not always randomness. Every attack pattern has a trigger, and sometimes multiple attack patterns share the same one. Except for mytha and the throne fuckers, who have no tells for certain actions, no boss will randomly pwn u, there are ways to see what might happen and to control it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

This may be the first time the twin Dragonrider boss has ever been referred to as challenging. Personally, I don't find the Ruin Sentinels to be particularly challenging and so long as your weapon has been upgraded you shouldn't have much problems. Their spin attack is bullshit though if you don't use a shield.

I don't think a boss has to be super challenging to be fun (hey Ancient Dragon, go gently caress yourself) but I do like fast, aggressive bosses or ones with fun gimmicks. Elana and the Skeleton Lords are a lot of fun to fight because their gimmick makes them interesting and fairly unique. Fume and Alonne are both very aggressive and actually punish healing, which is something a lot of bosses don't do. Fume may be the hardest boss in the game for me, but I think Alonne is my favorite in spite of being pretty easy and having a terrible run up. I like fighting the Pursuer as well, which is good since there's like four of them. I really like Sinh when he isn't playing keep away as well.

On the flip side the Royal Rat Authority and Ancient Dragon are definitely my least favorite fights. The former is just Sif but worse and the dragon is horseshit due to the near instant kill fire that is incredibly difficult to dodge. It's just poorly designed.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Minorkos posted:

Well, there's unpredictable in the sense that you don't know what they're going to do next and it makes the fight more exciting. But then there's unpredictable in the sense that you've exploited the same opening to heal in between a boss's attacks for like 5 times in a row, and then the boss just decides he wants to hit you right now and you die. And the next time you fight him, you will still have to exploit the same openings like you were doing before, except you're just thinking "I hope he doesn't do that thing this time around" while you do it.

Every time when something like this happens it"s based on relative positioning. Fume knight, as an example in hyper mode, has a slash followed by a downward swing. The swing takes a significant amount of time to recover from usually, and you would not be faulted for healing there. However, if you are not out of range and are not behind him, he can and will follow up with an extra 2-slash combo. You might say, wow what the gently caress that came out of nowhere, that never happened before -- but the reason it didn't happen was because you weren't in the correct position, completely by chance, every other time you healed

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The pursuer, lost sinner, old dragonslayer and maybe another one that I can't think of right now are all fun bosses because it's like a duel. They're not exactly hard or super challenging but it's enjoyable to fight them one on one.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The double Dragonriders might be a bit more challenging if they didn't have the worst stats in the game. I think someone forget to upscale the health because they are about as squishy as the original Heide except you're fighting them 3/4ths of the game in.

Ancient Dragon is the only time I do a specific set-up, which is get a Gyrm Greatshield and raise its stability. Pretty much two-hand it whenever it does the AoE (you will survive unless you're directly below the blast), then hit its toe whenever it does the sweeping fire breath.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also holy poo poo the hunters blackbow is loving amazing where has this thing been for all my life. Why does it have to be in drangleic castle :[

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tae posted:

The double Dragonriders might be a bit more challenging if they didn't have the worst stats in the game. I think someone forget to upscale the health because they are about as squishy as the original Heide except you're fighting them 3/4ths of the game in.

Ancient Dragon is the only time I do a specific set-up, which is get a Gyrm Greatshield and raise its stability. Pretty much two-hand it whenever it does the AoE (you will survive unless you're directly below the blast), then hit its toe whenever it does the sweeping fire breath.

The first of the two is functionally identical to the one in Heide. The second one with the bow might as well be a generic enemy because it is entirely possible to kill it in two hits from full health.

I'm pretty sure that before the nerfs Sunlight Spear could kill either in one hit.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Every time when something like this happens it"s based on relative positioning. Fume knight, as an example in hyper mode, has a slash followed by a downward swing. The swing takes a significant amount of time to recover from usually, and you would not be faulted for healing there. However, if you are not out of range and are not behind him, he can and will follow up with an extra 2-slash combo. You might say, wow what the gently caress that came out of nowhere, that never happened before -- but the reason it didn't happen was because you weren't in the correct position, completely by chance, every other time you healed

I can believe that. It still sucks because he can basically 2-shot you (at least on ng+) so you'll often die the first time you learn something like that. And even then it's kind of hard to figure out why exactly he sometimes fakes out and why he doesn't. Honestly, I'd prefer them to punish your heals more often, but more consistently. I really dislike it when the game basically teaches you that something is a safe action, then yanks the carpet beneath your feet when you try to rely on it. Just take the carpet away from me in the first place, game

Fume Knight didn't do that much of that fakeout stuff to me, though. I just remember dying to it a couple of times and being disappointed that they still rely on that stuff to make the boss fights more difficult.

Also, I could swear Alonne sometimes spends more time charging his charge attack. Not a problem if you're using a shield, but if you're using his early visual cues to dodge the attack, you're kinda boned. Maybe I'm imagining that, though.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 2, 2014

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
alonne hurts me deep inside because the only time i fought him was ng+4

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

My Jetstream Sam run is going really well (Flynn Ring, RoB, Blacksteel Katana which you can make red with bleed serum if you want to, dual Caestus as backup) and I do great damage, but I really don't know what armor to wear to make it look remotely like him :(

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Daynab posted:

My Jetstream Sam run is going really well (Flynn Ring, RoB, Blacksteel Katana which you can make red with bleed serum if you want to, dual Caestus as backup) and I do great damage, but I really don't know what armor to wear to make it look remotely like him :(

I used Mad Warrior's Armor + leggings, and royal soldier gauntlets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBFJKNogqAo

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Genocyber posted:

I used Mad Warrior's Armor + leggings, and royal soldier gauntlets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBFJKNogqAo

Hmm, that looks pretty good. Using Knight stuff right now. Having to farm that guy though, bleh. I'll try it out.

Also I'm not sure that I can wear those without fat rolling for the Flynn ring, maybe with the Third Dragon Ring, don't have it yet on this playthrough.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Prowlers black phantom invasion drops the Mad Warrior set. You could just use Alonne's armor if you wanna go full samurai, too.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Dark armor without the headpiece kinda looks like Sam's exoskeleton.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Just fight as Sam would wish: naked.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I always knew crits did more damage (versus other players) in ng+, but I never realized it changed as you went to higher game levels.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

alonne hurts me deep inside because the only time i fought him was ng+4

I found it a little funny that Sir Alonne gets to have a kick, being in a memory from the past in all. :v:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

I assume this is the combo you mean. The one other grace this combo gives you is that the tell is enormous (doesn't stand all the way up, draws the sword back very obviously...also true of all his big sword's punishes/moves in phase one).

And of course once you've fought him a few jillion times you can brag about how ez he is with these clear and plain tells, why would anybody say Fume Knight is hard amirite? :shepface:

Throne twin positioning vs. the types of attacks they use...well, since they don't punish you too badly for any mistakes, I don't think there is as much incentive for people to learn what positions are good (and they adjust their own positions much more dynamically than other bosses, I'm looking at you Watcher).

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

turtlecrunch posted:

And of course once you've fought him a few jillion times you can brag about how ez he is with these clear and plain tells, why would anybody say Fume Knight is hard amirite? :shepface:

I'm not sure what you mean by this, were playing dark souls right.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I fought a guy called Mundo Pyro on the Iron Keep Bridge who kept casting this one spell that gives him a glowly magical blue aura, and another one that sent spooky black skeleton heads at me. What spells were those?

They didn't seem to do much damage, if any, and I beat him handily, but still I'm curious.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this, were playing dark souls right.

I mean bosses get easier the more times you fight them.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Artificer posted:

I fought a guy called Mundo Pyro on the Iron Keep Bridge who kept casting this one spell that gives him a glowly magical blue aura, and another one that sent spooky black skeleton heads at me. What spells were those?

They didn't seem to do much damage, if any, and I beat him handily, but still I'm curious.

The spooky skeleton spell is recollection, it's a hex from the new DLC.

Blue aura might be unleash magic, which is a quest reward from Navlaan.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 2, 2014

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

turtlecrunch posted:

I mean bosses get easier the more times you fight them.

Yes also water is wet

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Is there any easy way to farm the Mad Warrior set yet out of curiosity? I never found him in the Belfry and Prowlers might be able to drop his stuff since they're kind of the exact same fight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Prowlers do drop the set. I said as much on this very page.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I loved Sir Alonne. I probably died more to him than any other boss in the game, but it's just such an amazingly satisfying fight. When I finally killed him I pumped my fist so hard I hit my elbow on the couch. I didn't have too much trouble with the Fume Knight though. :shrug: I died a few times using summons, and thrashed him with like half my flasks to spare when I took him on solo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

The Prowlers do drop the set. I said as much on this very page.

Yeah, I got the berserker blade off one of them.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

turtlecrunch posted:

I assume this is the combo you mean. The one other grace this combo gives you is that the tell is enormous (doesn't stand all the way up, draws the sword back very obviously...also true of all his big sword's punishes/moves in phase one).

well if u pay attention i am not saying he isn't hard, i'm saying he's Not Bullshit, much like almost every boss in the game, especially the Ruin Sentinels, but not Throne Friends

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i understand having a problem with the ruin sentinel fight. however, it is the case that you fight one of them until it is dead or you actually gently caress up and fall off the platform (or intentionally fall off the platform, not knowing what is in store), and then you fight the other two. every move they have has enough of a tell that you should be able to avoid it if you've seen it before, except the spin, which will hit you guaranteed if you aren't far away. it is a challenging fight, and it was the hardest fight in the game for me my first and even second run through, but it is not a bullshit fight, because you are given all the tools to survive and fight well.

and it's the same for nearly every boss fight, like i said, except for the throne men, because you are fighting two different enemies with disparate movesets who are extremely agile and heal each other after death

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Is it such a sin to use the Red Iron Twinblade in PVP? I know the thing hits like a truck, but i've been soundly beaten by players who exploit the weaknesses of it. Some dude called me out on stream as a tryhard peasant and now I'm simply curious.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

THE loving MOON posted:

I loved Sir Alonne. I probably died more to him than any other boss in the game, but it's just such an amazingly satisfying fight. When I finally killed him I pumped my fist so hard I hit my elbow on the couch.

Now beat him without getting hit (And fast) so he commits glorious sudoku.

Rynex posted:

Is it such a sin to use the Red Iron Twinblade in PVP? I know the thing hits like a truck, but i've been soundly beaten by players who exploit the weaknesses of it. Some dude called me out on stream as a tryhard peasant and now I'm simply curious.

People are dumb and will complain about certain weapons being OP even if they are hard to truly use effectively (e.g. the Winblade, powerstanced fists, Santier's, among others).

Also you make it sound like you stream PVP. You should link your stream in this thread when you do, if so. I like watching PVP streams.

Also also, finally loving beat Sinh on my sl1 dude. I think I died ~80 times.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 2, 2014

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Genocyber posted:

People are dumb and will complain about certain weapons being OP even if they are hard to truly use effectively (e.g. the Winblade, powerstanced fists, Santier's, among others).

Also you make it sound like you stream PVP. You should link your stream in this thread when you do, if so. I like watching PVP streams.

I stream very rarely. I found out that the other guy who repeatedly invaded me streamed and checked to see if he had recorded our fight, mainly to see how bad the lag comp was between us and what it looked like on his end (also narcissism)

Perhaps I'll make an effort another time and Stream PVP next time.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Rynex posted:

Not a sin at all. For as powerful as it is, very few people use it correctly; even when it is used well, it still has its weaknesses. Haters gonna hate.

And seconding Geno, link that poo poo up when you're live. I'm total poo poo at everything that doesn't involve magic, so I love opportunities to see how good melee fighters operate.

Rynex
Sep 26, 2007

Batigh posted:

Not a sin at all. For as powerful as it is, very few people use it correctly; even when it is used well, it still has its weaknesses. Haters gonna hate.

And seconding Geno, link that poo poo up when you're live. I'm total poo poo at everything that doesn't involve magic, so I love opportunities to see how good melee fighters operate.

Alright, sounds good. Will set up for lots of PVP in the next couple of days and link my stream then :)

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Man, the Iron Passage sucks.

Are any of the items on the ledges worth getting? Because running past the gate before it closes seems like a 1 in 5 chance for me. I keep dying on the second gate.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Not really. They're all just consumables, maybe some of the temporary stat boosting items, cracked red eyes, some other stuff. Nothing like a spell or equipment.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Genocyber posted:

Now beat him without getting hit (And fast) so he commits glorious sudoku.

What build is that? Pyromancy Hand, Southern Attunementy Ring +2, and a two-handed Mace?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Smornstein posted:

Is there any easy way to farm the Mad Warrior set yet out of curiosity? I never found him in the Belfry and Prowlers might be able to drop his stuff since they're kind of the exact same fight.

If you go to the belfry bonfire, put the game in a window and check the system processes. Rest at a bonfire until you see darksouls2.exe spike by 15k or so; this means the mad warrior has spawned. Go up and kill him with your best item drop gear, repeat. It'll still take you a while, but it's probably the most reliable method. I don't know if it's easier/quicker to kill the prowlers, I haven't tried it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Man, I'm playing as a pure caster for the first time and it is total garbage so far.