Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cleretic posted:

My dad brought up the Brigadier as an exception to the Doctor not liking soldiers, but I wasn't entirely sure the Brigadier properly counted as a companion so much as just a big secondary character. I haven't seen the classic series, though, so I wasn't sure.
The Doctor really loved the Brigadier. In some ways he's more important than any proper companion.

But he never traveled with the Doctor. Maybe 12 is implying that, no matter what he felt about them, he wouldn't travel with a soldier. He wouldn't inflict the military mind on other worlds. Or something like that.

My question is... did Captain Jack not actually count as a soldier? I admit I don't remember exactly what he said his backstory was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Industrial action at the time meant that they had to film the entire thing on film, whereas standard practice at the time was to film interiors on video and exteriors on film. That meant they were later able to release a high definition version on Blu-Ray.

I forget, why can't they do it for The Sontaran Experiment again?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jurgan posted:

I thought every classic Doctor met the Master?

I think this is technically true because of The Five Doctors, but I'm not actually sure that not-Hartnell or Troughton actually interact with him.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Burkion posted:

Big Finish I'll leave to the others, but the Brig most certainly BETTER be a Companion.

He met just about every Classic Doctor there was, and in my heart has met the rest.

The Doctor has, on more than one occasion, gone out of his way to go and visit him, even if 11's attempt wasn't that...successful.

It'd be kind of neat if 12 mentions just having seen Kate Stewart's father in one of her appearances later on down the line, mentioning "Making up for lost time" or something in regards to 11 missing him.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Eiba posted:

My question is... did Captain Jack not actually count as a soldier? I admit I don't remember exactly what he said his backstory was.

Jack said he was a Time Agent, which seem to be more like time-travelling cops.

I can't remember what his real backstory was (the "face of Boe" thing was that he was used in a recruiting poster, I think), but I don't recall "soldier" ever coming up. Regardless, Time Agent was the explanation at the time he was actively with the Doctor, so whatever it really was is irrelevant.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cleretic posted:

My dad brought up the Brigadier as an exception to the Doctor not liking soldiers, but I wasn't entirely sure the Brigadier properly counted as a companion so much as just a big secondary character. I haven't seen the classic series, though, so I wasn't sure.

The Doctor actually had a very complicated relationship with the Brigadier at first. After getting stranded on earth he was basically trapped and NEEDED a place to stay and work and use resources. UNIT offered that to him but he was never comfortable with the military aspects and he and the Brig often clashed over the best way to deal with a situation. Most notably at the end of The Silurians which does a far, far better job of the "we can't always rely on you to fix things" argument than The Christmas Invasion did.

Over time they grew to trust and respect each other and the Doctor had a mellowing effect on the Brig who learned to keep an open mind and explore his options fully. Those early days were rough for both of them though, I think it's The Claws of Axos where the Doctor thinks he has fixed his TARDIS and basically goes,"SEEYA LATER, SHITLORD!" to the Brig and takes off, only for his ship to crash and he has to come trudging back and very politely ask his wonderful friend the Brigadier to help him extricate the TARDIS from its landing spot :3:

Cleretic posted:

Speaking of, I've been thinking of getting my dad some Big Finish audios for Christmas (it would be for Father's Day, but I probably wouldn't be able to get them shipped to Australia before then), since he likes the classic series and that sort of thing seems right up his alley. He's said that Tom Baker is his favorite Doctor, are any of his stories especially good introductions to the idea and format? I could alternatively go with a 'sample platter' of good entry-level stories from each Doctor, and I remember someone suggesting examples of those a while back. Would anyone have any input on those?

Unfortunately the 4th (and 8th) Doctor Adventures are a little pricey, though both have had sales on their first seasons in the past. I've only listened to Renaissance Man from Tom's first season and it was quite enjoyable and felt like it fit quite nicely into the classic 4th Doctor stories.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

I think this is technically true because of The Five Doctors, but I'm not actually sure that not-Hartnell or Troughton actually interact with him.

Not-Hartnell meets him and has a chat at the "chessboard" with the "Easy as Pi" bit.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Captain Jack was a time traveling conman, I can't remember any suggestion that he was a soldier.

e: I checked and what happened is that he appropriated a soldier's identity, that's why he called himself Captain.

Gynovore posted:

Most annoyingly, these 'rebels' whole purpose is to kill Daleks, yet they carry weapons barely capable of denting them. Not to mention they can't hit the broad side of a barn at twenty paces.
I imagine that for them direct firefights with Daleks are pretty rare, since any attempt to invade one of their ships would usually be met with a self-destruct sequence. It might be that they stand a better chance in ship vs ship combat.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 2, 2014

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Jerusalem posted:

Over time they grew to trust and respect each other and the Doctor had a mellowing effect on the Brig who learned to keep an open mind and explore his options fully. Those early days were rough for both of them though, I think it's The Claws of Axos where the Doctor thinks he has fixed his TARDIS and basically goes,"SEEYA LATER, SHITLORD!" to the Brig and takes off, only for his ship to crash and he has to come trudging back and very politely ask his wonderful friend the Brigadier to help him extricate the TARDIS from its landing spot :3:

Unless it happens more than once I'm pretty sure that's at the end of Inferno, and it is indeed wonderful.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Jack was definitely a "Time Agent" before he was a con man, as Jsor said.

TL posted:

So I've been digging through the archives to find the reaction to the announcement that Matt Smith was cast as the Doctor (the reactions to which are hilariously over the top-if anyone lacks archives I'd be happy to post some of it here, it's quite funny), and I found this one line that was hilariously prescient:

Another good one:

This is endlessly entertaining:

Ooohh post mine! I know I did some catty bitching I later shamefully regretted! :haw:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PoshAlligator posted:

Unless it happens more than once I'm pretty sure that's at the end of Inferno, and it is indeed wonderful.

I'm not sure about Claws, but there is another fantastic moment LIKE this in the penis alien serial I believe. The Doctor gets the TARDIS working, tells them to gently caress off, leaves, Brig orders him to come back on the count of three.

Four episodes later, Brig finishes the count and the Doctor instantly appears, his job done-much to his annoyance.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

All I really remember from that time was that I was kind of flabbergasted at the idea of the Doctor being younger than me.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Captain Jack was a time traveling conman, I can't remember any suggestion that he was a soldier.

He was introduced as a soldier (which he was posing as) in a very soldier-y time and place (hanging out with other soldiers during ww2), wore soldier clothes all the way from "The empty child" to "Miracle day" and does very soldiery things like take command of a militarized group, shoot guns and salute.

Sure he was a conman from the future, but saying there is no hint of soldier in him is a bit much...

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I haven't done anything too Ill-advised yet today, so here's my speculation on Missy: She's a very, very old, corrupted version of the River Song that got uploaded into the Library in Silence in the Library. The Library is "Heaven," and the dying people are being uploaded using advances in the original technology. The arc story will be about the Doctor having to "kill" her because she's a threat to the universe or something.

My rationale is mostly that Moffat isn't great at getting over his own ideas (better than RTD, though!), and Missy annoys me in much the same way River did toward the end of her arc. Pretty thin gruel, but there you go.

I have cringed whenever the Missy bits have come up in the last two episodes. The first one was particularly odious, undercutting "I'm not your boyfriend" and the implicit promise of no Doctor-related romance. The next one was mostly awful because it dragged down
what otherwise felt like an absolutely superb episode for me.

I hope we get a couple of Missy-free episodes this season so we get a shot at full-episode awesome from time to time, instead of being, at best, awesome-except-for-the-arc-bits.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
I've no qualm with the Missy bit in the last episode. Brief, to the point, and frankly I'd more or less forgotten about it by the end of the episode.

The only thing that seems to throw a wrench in the whole uploading thing, whether it be TARDIS or Library, is the question of how they'd manage it with the soldier who died in the last one. It was easy with the robot: he's a robot, to begin with, may have already had memory banks or whatever to read. Plus his body was still about, waiting to be picked up and downloaded. This soldier though? She never had the chance to be recorded on anything, and there certainly wasn't anything left afterwards.

Of course, I think the alternative is even more far-fetched. The idea that some other Time Lord or creature swooped in and saved her at the last second ... surely the Doctor and the like would have noticed if there'd be no corpse transformed into a pile of dust then getting hoovered up after the Dalek antibodies took care of things. I suppose whatever took her might have sprinkled some dust around really fast to make it look convincing, but ...

Although if I remember right, they pointedly didn't show her death on screen, so maybe nobody was looking.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Cleretic posted:

Speaking of, I've been thinking of getting my dad some Big Finish audios for Christmas (it would be for Father's Day, but I probably wouldn't be able to get them shipped to Australia before then), since he likes the classic series and that sort of thing seems right up his alley. He's said that Tom Baker is his favorite Doctor, are any of his stories especially good introductions to the idea and format? I could alternatively go with a 'sample platter' of good entry-level stories from each Doctor, and I remember someone suggesting examples of those a while back. Would anyone have any input on those?

Get Storm Warning and The Chimes of Midnight for him. Storm Warning is the first of 8s Big Finish adventures, and introduces you to Charley Pollard, his companion. It's necessary to have heard Storm Warning to understand part of The Chimes of Midnight, which is so loving good it's not even funny. Also it takes place on Christmas, so it's a thematic gift.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Burkion posted:

My favorite reaction of ANYONE to the TARDIS being bigger on the inside/smaller on the outside is the Brig's.

He is just so unbelievably pissed off that the Doctor would waste funds and equipment some how doing this. The Brigadier is impossible to surprise or shock-he meets the impossible with an angered brow and a raised fist. This is why he is, and always will be, The Best Companion.

Or when Three regenerated into Four: "Well, here we go again" :rolleyes:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

GonSmithe posted:

Get Storm Warning and The Chimes of Midnight for him. Storm Warning is the first of 8s Big Finish adventures, and introduces you to Charley Pollard, his companion. It's necessary to have heard Storm Warning to understand part of The Chimes of Midnight, which is so loving good it's not even funny. Also it takes place on Christmas, so it's a thematic gift.

I'm really enjoying Invaders From Mars. Simon Pegg, Jessica Stevenson, Mark Gatiss and Paul McGann :allears:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

Also the Conversative Party is always waiting in the shadows for the BBC to make a misstep so they can blow the doors up or smash through the walls screaming,"PRIVATIZE! PRIVATIZE!"
I always knew you were alright, J-Ru.

Senor Tron posted:

I was actually surprised that they didn't include a brief shot of the First Doctor receiving instructions. They had built a replica of the original console room, they had the role of the First Doctor cast and had the costume. At the "you might say I've been working on it all my life..." line it would have been a perfect moment to just have a brief shot from behind of the First Doctor picking up a blue envelope addressed to him off his console.
Y'know when somebody gives a hypothetical that's so much better than what's going to happen, or what's already happened and you can't enjoy reality as much as you did before you heard it?

I am so very angry with you right now. :mad:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Plavski posted:

I'm really enjoying Invaders From Mars. Simon Pegg, Jessica Stevenson, Mark Gatiss and Paul McGann :allears:
Oh yeah, all of them are worth listening to (yes, even Minuet), but those two are good for dipping your toes, because you get a pretty good story into a loving AWESOME story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

Meanwhile my ThirdDoctorAthon slooooooowly creeps onwards ever more and I've gotten (back) to the Three Doctors.

I adore the interactions between Three and Two. I really do. I wish we could just have had an entire season of them dicking around.

I also enjoy how Omega gets progressively more frustrated with them throughout the episode.

"Are you sure you are both of the same intelligence?"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Burkion posted:

My favorite reaction of ANYONE to the TARDIS being bigger on the inside/smaller on the outside is the Brig's.

I must respectfully disagree, as in that very same episode you have the reaction that proves Sgt. Benton is not just some lummox in a uniform:

Three: "Well, Sergeant? Aren't you going to say 'it's bigger on the inside than on the outside'?" :smug:

Benton: "It's kinda obvious, isn't it...anyways, nothing to do with you surprises me any more, Doc." :v:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I sometimes wonder if the Cartmel master-plan involving the Doctor as the Great Other (aka Rasillon's archrival), companions being trained into time-lords and other such events will ever be put into motion.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There's a Big Finish audio coming up where Ace is working for the Celestial Intervention Agency, but the Other can stay buried in the ephemera of the wilderness years for another fifty years.

gently caress the Other.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

There's a Big Finish audio coming up where Ace is working for the Celestial Intervention Agency, but the Other can stay buried in the ephemera of the wilderness years for another fifty years.

gently caress the Other.
But....why? What's bad about the concept of the Doctor kicking Rasillon's arse left and right? He's fixing his mistakes after all, right?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I've opined at length in the past on the subject of the Other, but the gist is this:

If the Doctor is the reincarnation of the Other - if his heroism and his distinct attitude towards Time Lord society is somehow preordained - it does violence to the central ideological premise of Doctor Who, by which ordinary people become extraordinary through their actions.

The Doctor must never be "more than just a Time Lord" - he has to be a hero despite being a Time Lord.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 2, 2014

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

i don't know anything about the masterplan but what i've heard from this thread. and it all sounds dumb and unnecessary.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

DoctorWhat posted:

I've opined at length in the past on the subject of the Other, but the gist is this:

If the Doctor is the reincarnation of the Other - if his heroism and his distinct attitude towards Time Lord society is somehow preordained - it does violence to the central ideological premise of Doctor Who, by which ordinary people become extraordinary through their actions.

The Doctor must never be "more than just a Time Lord" - he has to be a hero despite being a Time Lord.

It might work, I think- if you flipped it on its head. Rather than say that the Doctor was the reincarnation of a God and destined for greatness, the implication is that the Other, one of Gallifrey's founding fathers, was just some guy, you know? A big goof, winging it all the time.

Probably best left alone, though.

Attitude Indicator posted:

i don't know anything about the masterplan but what i've heard from this thread. and it all sounds dumb and unnecessary.

It's pretty much the definition of the inmates running the asylum, I think.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cleretic posted:

As Jerusalem said it took time. One thing he didn't mention is that in the Brig's first appearance - The Web of Caves Fear - he is set up to be a possible antagonist as a fakeout.

Jerusalem posted:

The really neat thing was that in the build-up to naming Smith's successor, it came out that the unofficial frontrunner was Peter Capaldi and pretty much every single person's reaction was,"....oh? Well.... I have no complaints about that...."

The almost universal stunned reaction of Who fans (in this thread at least) not having anything to complain about was beautiful. :allears:

So you don't remember the huge amount of poo poo that went down about the Doctor regenning into a different race or gender from "white male"?

Jurgan posted:

I thought every classic Doctor met the Master?

Hartnell didn't, Hurndall did

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Autonomous Monster posted:

It's pretty much the definition of the inmates running the asylum, I think.

That's a bit rude as Cartmel's taking the Doctor in a darker direction as part of the Masterplan is the only reason why the second best Seventh Doctor story isn't loving Dragonfire

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I also wonder how the Doctor Who threads went about in these forums before the 2005 reboot. I'm very curious to know.

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.

Theglavwen posted:

I've no qualm with the Missy bit in the last episode. Brief, to the point, and frankly I'd more or less forgotten about it by the end of the episode.

The only thing that seems to throw a wrench in the whole uploading thing, whether it be TARDIS or Library, is the question of how they'd manage it with the soldier who died in the last one. It was easy with the robot: he's a robot, to begin with, may have already had memory banks or whatever to read. Plus his body was still about, waiting to be picked up and downloaded. This soldier though? She never had the chance to be recorded on anything, and there certainly wasn't anything left afterwards.

Of course, I think the alternative is even more far-fetched. The idea that some other Time Lord or creature swooped in and saved her at the last second ... surely the Doctor and the like would have noticed if there'd be no corpse transformed into a pile of dust then getting hoovered up after the Dalek antibodies took care of things. I suppose whatever took her might have sprinkled some dust around really fast to make it look convincing, but ...

Although if I remember right, they pointedly didn't show her death on screen, so maybe nobody was looking.

It's not necessarily the case that them waking up in 'heaven' happens instantaneously after they die, though it is implied - Missy could be going around collecting remains or whatever after the fact and resurrecting/restoring consciousness in her own time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

So you don't remember the huge amount of poo poo that went down about the Doctor regenning into a different race or gender from "white male"?

I didn't until now, no :(

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't until now, no :(

The general reaction was "Capaldi is a good choice if we're stick with white male, but it would have been nice to have someone of a different race or gender" and then a few people (Matt Dizzle mostly) melted down extraordinarily. How could you forget?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The general reaction was "Capaldi is a good choice if we're stick with white male, but it would have been nice to have someone of a different race or gender" and then a few people (Matt Dizzle mostly) melted down extraordinarily. How could you forget?

I’m a white male myself, I don’t notice these kinds of things. Why, do you think I should?

Seriously, it should boil down to "will this actor make a good Doctor?" I don't care if they're white, black, a race misrepresented in The Talons of Weng-Chiang, from the subcontinent, have XX/XY parts, or are named Colin Baker. As long as their portrayal on screen is a good one, people really should try to care less.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 2, 2014

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
Idris Elba was being bandied around seriously for a while and it was really cool.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Plavski posted:

Idris Elba was being bandied around seriously for a while and it was really cool.

No he wasn't. Maybe some people seriously believed but anyone with the briefest understanding of the BBC, Doctor Who, acting or the entertainment industry in general laughed off that suggestion as being loving ludicrous on many levels.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's a bit rude as Cartmel's taking the Doctor in a darker direction as part of the Masterplan is the only reason why the second best Seventh Doctor story isn't loving Dragonfire

Exactly, it's what gave us the 180 from Sylvester's lunatic first season into one of the most beloved eras of the series. And I think a lot of the dumber elements would have ended up being cut if they'd gotten to continue the series.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Plavski posted:

The only way they'd be able to make that work along side him playing James Bond would be to cut the budget for both down to "tin foil and bubble wrap" level.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

After The War posted:

Exactly, it's what gave us the 180 from Sylvester's lunatic first season into one of the most beloved eras of the series. And I think a lot of the dumber elements would have ended up being cut if they'd gotten to continue the series.

it's more the reverse really.
a lot of the dumber elements were added later as the concepts were expanded out in the novels, and weren't a thing around the TV production office.

• Locked thread