Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Does anyone here know if zDoom fires weapons slightly lower than other source ports?

There's a secret in MAP01 of BTSX ep2 where all my shots seem to land just a smidgen too low to hit the button, and I vaguely remember having similar problems in some other WADs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Nostalgamus posted:

Does anyone here know if zDoom fires weapons slightly lower than other source ports?

There's a secret in MAP01 of BTSX ep2 where all my shots seem to land just a smidgen too low to hit the button, and I vaguely remember having similar problems in some other WADs.

GZDoom at least fires based on the center of the screen unless you're firing at an enemy, and it's affected by mouselook. From a two second test here though it does look like you end up hitting just below the reticle if you turn that on, so you might be on to something.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
GZdoom also might not do all the palette tricks properly, since they specifically suggest using a software mode port.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
BTSX is designed to run on vanilla Doom 2 with dehacked. Play it on Chocolate Doom.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Well, I did not expect "The Adventures of Square" to be so rough. Like, really rough. Starting with map 3 the difficulty takes a serious spike, with a lot of niggling things like enemies who shoot through walls that you can't see or floods of enemies with platforming segments. Still digging the deliciously horrible puns, but I'm hoping the difficulty tapers off.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Segmentation Fault posted:

BTSX is designed to run on vanilla Doom 2 with dehacked. Play it on Chocolate Doom.

That's not necessary, something demo-compatible but friendlier than Chocdoom like prBoom+ will be fine.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Grimthwacker posted:

Well, I did not expect "The Adventures of Square" to be so rough. Like, really rough. Starting with map 3 the difficulty takes a serious spike, with a lot of niggling things like enemies who shoot through walls that you can't see or floods of enemies with platforming segments. Still digging the deliciously horrible puns, but I'm hoping the difficulty tapers off.

Hard mode is hard. Play on Normal if you want something less difficult. That's why there's difficulty settings in the first place.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

Who the hell bothers to use either of those? You have loads of pistol ammo until you get to the Penetrator, and the dual pistol combined with your feet are some of the best weapons in the game.

I did :negative: Seriously, though, they're perfectly fine, if boring.

Yodzilla posted:

I think my biggest thing with Painkiller is how long it takes for souls to spawn from killed enemies. The demon form is barely useful and since souls spawn from where bodies land it actively discourages you from blasting them with anything that might send them flying. It slows the game down in a really horrible way.

It's useful in massive melee horde events, but the problem is accidentally triggering them BEFORE the massive melee horde event. Half the time, I didn't actively go for souls, anyway.

Hideous Destructor has a new update that unfucks the DERP bot: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12973

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Does BTSX2 have the same happenstance as the first episode where it plays really well with Project MSX, or is it a better experience to heed the vanilla-only suggestion? I'm always down for more vanilla Doom but I'd also like another good MSX-compatible WAD, Sunder is oft-suggested but it felt kinda cheap when I tried it.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I actually could never get BTSX to work in Chocolate. It kept crashing whenever I would load a level.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
BTSX2 is really good so far but I'm running into the same issues I had with the first one - its a real slog to play through all at once. The textures look fantastic but there just isn't enough variety.

This isn't anything against the wad though. My preference is coffee break style wads that are short and sweet, and these levels are pretty long on a first pass.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Aaand BTSX 2 is no different when trying to run it in Chocolate Doom. I get a "R_FlatNumForName: COPRFD20 not found" error this time :shrug:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
How are you loading it? What's your command line arguments?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

raycasting.gif

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Oh, they ported Doom to the Xbox One already?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

my bony fealty posted:

raycasting.gif

Doom's renderer is not a raycaster. :ssh:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Doom's renderer is not a raycaster. :ssh:

Arghh my assumption that Doom was built off of mostly Wolfenstein 3D tech looks to be wrong with some precursory searching!

Anyone care to elaborate on what 'raycasting' is and what separates the Doom engine from it? For a long time I've just assumed it's synonymous with pre-3D FPS game engines but looks like that's not the case :negative:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
How the hell do i end the Fizz-O-Pop factory level? I beat all the dudes and got all the keys and I can't figure out where the thing is to open the exit.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Colon Semicolon posted:

How the hell do i end the Fizz-O-Pop factory level? I beat all the dudes and got all the keys and I can't figure out where the thing is to open the exit.
It's at the top of the tower in the middle of the outer area.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Mak0rz posted:

Aaand BTSX 2 is no different when trying to run it in Chocolate Doom. I get a "R_FlatNumForName: COPRFD20 not found" error this time :shrug:

You need to run it with the command line options to merge the original doom2 wad in, I think it's -iwad doom2.wad -pwad btsx_e#.wad but I might be misremembering.

There's also a bug in the most recent version that means you need to change the music to use midi in the setup program or it will crash when you start the first level. And you need to disable vanilla savegame limits.

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

There's not much of a reason to use chocolate doom anyway. prboom+ is a lot easier to use, and the gameplay is accurate to the original doom engine.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

my bony fealty posted:

Anyone care to elaborate on what 'raycasting' is and what separates the Doom engine from it? For a long time I've just assumed it's synonymous with pre-3D FPS game engines but looks like that's not the case :negative:

What Wolf and Doom have in common is that they are column renderers for walls. The difference is in how they find out what column from what wall should be drawn. Wolf 3D does that by casting a ray from the screen pixel position straight ahead and computing if it intercepts some level geometry. Wolf's cube-based map allowed the process to be reasonably fast. Doom, on the other hand, traverses its binary space partition (BSP) tree to do that.

Quake would later refine the BSP process further so as to make it work in 3D instead of just 2D.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Build isn't a raycaster either, apparently. I'd assumed it was doing "cast ray, hit wall, if two-sided wall relocate to new sector, repeat". My attempts at reproducing it using QBasic back in the day were doomed from the start.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I just love watching the rendering algorithm in slow motion :awesome:

my bony fealty posted:

Arghh my assumption that Doom was built off of mostly Wolfenstein 3D tech looks to be wrong with some precursory searching!

They're actually pretty different. Building on what Cat Mattress said, with a ray casting engine you're doing a 1-dimensional sweep across the horizontal line of your screen. You cast a ray down that pixel, and see how far it goes before it hits something. When it stops, you know how small to render that line of wall, and then you fill in the wall and ceiling and floor using the texture data, scaled for distance. Wolfenstein3D doesn't support raised floors, but I guess you could with metadata tags on the wall heights.

Doom however doesn't render from left to right horizontally, so its clearly not a raycaster. As you watch the algorithm go, you can see its walking the BSP tree and filling in whole walls at a time. It doesn't move line by line casting rays, but instead fills in whole walls, but doing them in-order using the tree so as to avoid problems with painter's alg or having to compute and compare distances of surfaces along points.

With a raycaster like wolf it would first draw the pixels on the left wall, then draw the near column, then continue to the right drawing things at appropriate distances. Both render the thing sprites on top and then just overlay the HUD at the end in a similar fashion, but how they draw the walls is pretty different.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 2, 2014

fragglet
Sep 14, 2005
I've got a christmas tree inside my head
I'm starting to get worried that you're trying to unseat me from my position as chief Doom nerd

Cool gif tho

Mak0rz posted:

I actually could never get BTSX to work in Chocolate. It kept crashing whenever I would load a level.
Please file bugs if you encounter problems like these, I can't fix them unless you report them. At the very least if it's not a bug, I can help you figure out what you're doing wrong and get things working for you.

EvilMike posted:

There's not much of a reason to use chocolate doom anyway. prboom+ is a lot easier to use, and the gameplay is accurate to the original doom engine.
Can you tell me what you find difficult to use about Chocolate Doom? One of my goals in making it was that it should be simple to configure and set up. I'm genuinely curious about any difficulties you've had.

my bony fealty posted:

Raycasting is what it sounds like: in a raycasting engine like Wolf3D, a "ray" is sent out (cast) in the level geometry for each vertical column of the screen. The distance to the wall determines the height of the wall at that column, and the wall it hits determines the slice of texture that gets drawn. There's an interesting book called "Tricks of the Game Programming Gurus" that explains it in more detail. It's kind of a neat and elegant technique: kind of like ray tracing but backwards.

Doom doesn't work that way, although many people wrongly assume it does. There's an article about it on the Doom wiki. Basically the level geometry is arranged in a BSP tree and the screen is rendered by walking down the BSP tree in an order according to your position within it. Walls get rendered by projecting them within your view plane (like any modern renderer) and the BSP tree ensures that everything gets drawn in the right order.

fragglet fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 2, 2014

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

EvilMike posted:

fragglet posted:

Can you tell me what you find difficult to use about Chocolate Doom? One of my goals in making it was that it should be simple to configure and set up. I'm genuinely curious about any difficulties you've had.

Maybe it's because it doesn't have a WAD-selection dialog on startup. Though personally, I don't care about that, and I much prefer chocolate doom for not having this horrific endless randomly-organised menu of stupid options I don't care about.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, it'd be nice if Zdoom and friends would reorganize the menus, and put all the advanced manual compatibility flags into an advanced menu together. When I click on "gameplay" I don't really expect or want 600 strangely named and poorly explained flags.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

seiken posted:

Maybe it's because it doesn't have a WAD-selection dialog on startup. Though personally, I don't care about that, and I much prefer chocolate doom for not having this horrific endless randomly-organised menu of stupid options I don't care about.

Ah. Yes. How do I actually move up and down the options menus in prboom+?

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

fragglet posted:

In terms of ease of use, for me it's mainly that prboom ships with a launcher that lets you select the iwad + pwad. I'm really bad at remembering all the command line options.

It also allows a decent amount of configuration with the ingame options menu, without being excessive about it, and the defaults are good. I know chocolate doom lets you configure various things, but its mostly through the setup program.

I also like the glboom port it comes with, which enables vertical mouselook, without actually affecting how aiming works. So you can cheat by seeing monsters on high ledges that are shooting you, but you can't snipe things you aren't supposed to be able to target. Opengl mode does look a bit different from software rendering, but one of the lighting options (fog based, I think) does a good job at capturing the look of it I think.

And then there's just the fact that so many wads require "boom compatible" or limit removing ports, so I just stick with one sourceport that I know works for both that and vanilla stuff, but still takes a conservative approach to things. I don't really like zdoom.

Chocolate doom is cool for watching demos, though. And I think it's good that it strives for being like the dos version of the game, since it (ideally) means no one has a reason to mess with dosbox. A lot of the features I mentioned in this post are ones I don't think chocolate doom needs, since the whole point is to be minimal. A launcher gui would be nice, though.

EvilMike fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 2, 2014

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Prenton posted:

Ah. Yes. How do I actually move up and down the options menus in prboom+?

Do the arrow keys and enter not work?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

EvilMike posted:

In terms of ease of use, for me it's mainly that prboom ships with a launcher that lets you select the iwad + pwad. I'm really bad at remembering all the command line options.

Just use ZDL, it works with basically every source port and it's super easy to set up. You can even save stuff into files you can just double click to launch a specific pwad + iwad + engine setup.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

EvilMike posted:

Do the arrow keys and enter not work?

Oh. Yes, they do, but you can't actually see what's highlighted if you're running BTSX ep 2. The palette shenanigans?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's almost certainly a palette issue, yeah.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Since I am playing BTSX Ep2 with another gameplay WAD, the palette causes my bullet casings to have a small, bluish glow on them (not the entire thing) that is cool as hell. It's like I'm so far in the future that even my cartridges have their own ammo displays.

"AMMO: none".

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Elliotw2 posted:

You can even save stuff into files you can just double click to launch a specific pwad + iwad + engine setup.

Please explain! I'd love to know how to do this.

edit: Cream of Plenty your new avatar is freaking me out. what the hell is that

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I love playing GMOTA on ultra-violence so that chest spawns become more frequent and I can get the dagger :getin:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Convex posted:

Please explain! I'd love to know how to do this.

Load up ZDL, configure your stuff, and then click the ZDL menu and save a .zdl file. Then you want to go over to the settings tab, click Associations, and associate .zdl files with the ZDL launcher and check the "Launch .ZDL files transparently" box. You should be able to just double click any .zdl file now and launch your config right away. If you're on Windows 8 you'll also have to manually associate the files with ZDL, but you do that same as anything else.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Elliotw2 posted:

Just use ZDL, it works with basically every source port and it's super easy to set up. You can even save stuff into files you can just double click to launch a specific pwad + iwad + engine setup.

My launcher (QLZ, in the OP) also supports chocolate doom. It doesn't support the file thing described here but you can save profiles for combinations of stuff you like to play a lot.

Just load it up, configure your stuff, then type a name into the profile name box at the bottom and click save.

IMO it's much simpler than ZDL, that's why I made it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
There is a webcomic called Kill Six Billion Demons. Doom's alternate universe title y/n