Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

The March Hare posted:

Why is VMA stuff spiking today? Did they announce its end or something, or is it just normal go and flow?

Vintage Masters is ending when Khans comes out. Although, that has been known for awhile. I guess the start of spoiler season was a wakeup call for some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Doesn't VMA end when Khans releases in like 3 weeks?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Fetchlands reprinted = people decide it's time to get into older formats since they'll be able to pick up half the lands really cheap soon. Pushing the price of everything else up.

I hope Jace and Forces don't go up too much, I was going to grab them this weekend :( (I already have a good selection of duals, so I don't mind too much about those).

E: ^ online release of Khans is in 5 weeks, a little after the paper release.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Cernunnos posted:

Doesn't VMA end when Khans releases in like 3 weeks?

Yes, I just bought the rest of the stuff I want from the set.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

reddit's preview card. Not sure why they're getting it now, but whatever.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Minority Deport posted:

Between this and that Abzan swole giraffe-rider, I get the feeling buying a box of Tarkir for Fetches may not be worth the sheer number of boring rare creatures.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Well there's a 6-Drop to ramp into with that Morph Mana Dork.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

bhsman posted:

Between this and that Abzan swole giraffe-rider, I get the feeling buying a box of Tarkir for Fetches may not be worth the sheer number of boring rare creatures.
The Camel rider wasn't rare.
e: Are you talking about the Abzan guide?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
You mean this boring rare with a black expansion symbol?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It says a lot about creature power creep that I really didn't expect that to be a rare after reading everything else. 6 mana 6/6 french vanilla says uncommon at most to me these days, and morph doesn't really change the calculus that much. I suppose it's probably hexproof in particular that they don't want flying around every Limited table at that sort of efficient cost. Can't blame them.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Some Numbers posted:

You mean this boring rare with a black expansion symbol?

neetengie posted:

The Camel rider wasn't rare.
e: Are you talking about the Abzan guide?

That's weird, I totally remembered that as a rare. I must have been thinking of the Elephant instead.

I also could see that card as a potential finisher in a UG Chord/Prophet of Kruphix deck.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

JerryLee posted:

It says a lot about creature power creep that I really didn't expect that to be a rare after reading everything else. 6 mana 6/6 french vanilla says uncommon at most to me these days, and morph doesn't really change the calculus that much. I suppose it's probably hexproof in particular that they don't want flying around every Limited table at that sort of efficient cost. Can't blame them.
Hexproof on a morph is A Big Deal, because you can turn him face up in response to removal in order to have it fizzle. It's not fantastic, but "pay five, your spell fizzles also this 2/2 is now a 6/6 trample hexproof" is a haymaker.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

JerryLee posted:

I think it's just that it's a 5 mana 6/6 that concerns them, but considering the triple colored symbols and the risk of morph, I think Wizards is too cautious when they print undercosted fatties.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The fact that it has trample also means it's basically unstoppable against decks without running one of the 5+ mana wraths. Which could very well be a thing.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I'd be shocked if it was constructed playable.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
It's going to be horrible to play against in limited

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

newtestleper posted:

There's always the 2/2 deathtouch bear that got spoiled a while ago.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Froghammer posted:

"Chord for 6." Drop this guy. "Do something about it."

newtestleper posted:

I imagine anything with Hexproof (and also to a slightly lesser extent Shroud) is a bitch to deal with in Limited. Which is why they put this stuff at Rare or Mythic.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

newtestleper posted:

And this is why it's a rare. It's a hell of a tough card to deal with when all you can use are creatures and combat tricks, especially when your opponent can use tricks of their own.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Froghammer posted:

newtestleper posted:

I will first pick this every time in draft.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Cernunnos posted:

Yeah, and then follow up by Bestow'ing it with Boon Satyr and you should close out games pretty quickly.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Wow....

That sure is something for limited. I will first pick that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cernunnos posted:

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure the answer is no because it's not its CMC, but can I chord for 3 and then drop any morph creature?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Cernunnos posted:

Speaking of, I'm pretty sure the answer is no but can you Chord out a morphed creature?

edit: ^^^^ spooky

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

JerryLee posted:

It says a lot about creature power creep that I really didn't expect that to be a rare after reading everything else.
Gibberish in the name, nearly vanilla, a beast, a morph? This describes like 15 rare cards in Onslaught block. Of course its rare. It's a homage! The only way it could be better if it was a Ragu Hystrodroog.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
I think I'm going to lose at least 2 drafts to that damned card.

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008

goferchan posted:

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure the answer is no because it's not its CMC, but can I chord for 3 and then drop any morph creature?

Alris posted:

Speaking of, I'm pretty sure the answer is no but can you Chord out a morphed creature?

edit: ^^^^ spooky

Cards aren't face down in your library.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

More specifically, Chord doesn't cast the card. It puts it into play.

quote:

702.36a Morph is a static ability that functions in any zone from which you could play the card it‘s on, and the morph effect works any time the card is face down. "Morph [cost]" means "You may cast this card as a 2/2 face-down creature, with no text, no name, no subtypes, no expansion symbol, and no mana cost by paying {3} rather than paying its mana cost." (See rule 707, "Face-Down Spells and Permanents.")

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

goferchan posted:

Morph is an alternate casting cost, much like bestow, and chord doesn't allow you to use alternate casting costs/modes. You can't chord for chromanticore to drop it on a creature in the same fashion that you can't chord for a morph creature (except in the bestow case it is more expensive to bestow instead of cast, where morph is almost always less expensive [elite arcanist :argh:])

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Booklegger posted:

Cards aren't face down in your library.

Except, y'know, in the literal sense.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Dies to Typhoid Rats

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Translation coming soon

e: it's form MTG-jp for a source

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Minority Deport posted:

Triple S saw constructed play, and it was +1 mana for no morph, but +flying. That said, it only saw play in a tron deck, so it's probably not a good comparison. I don't actually think it will see constructed play, but I also wouldn't be that surprised if there does end up being a deck that wants a couple of them after all.

goferchan posted:

No you can't, for exactly the reason you stated, morph doesn't give the creature an additional CMC of 3, or anything like that, unfortunately.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Entropic posted:

Except, y'know, in the literal sense.

Oh look, my deck is filled with 0 cost 2/2 creatures. Thanks Genesis Wave.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

ONWARD MY NOBLE GOAT CHARIOT.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Zorak posted:

Translation coming soon

Anafenza the Foremost
WBG
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier
Whenever ~ attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on another target tapped creature you control
If a creature card would be put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead.
4/4

or something like that

Zorak fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 2, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zorak posted:

Translation coming soon

This is the Abzan leader from the looks of it?

Alaan posted:

ONWARD MY NOBLE GOAT CHARIOT.

:getin:

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk
Anafenza loving hates the Sultai, apparently.

e: Also, current favourite Preeminent Captain target in Standard.

Symphonie fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 2, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Zorak posted:

Anafenza the Foremost
WBG
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier
Whenever ~ attacks, put a +1 counter on another target tapped creature you control
If a creature card will be put into an opponent's graveyard from anywhere, exile it instead.
4/4

or something like that

If you can consistently get this out turn 3/4, that's pretty dang good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Symphonie posted:

Anafenza loving hates the Sultai, apparently.

Which is kind of funny because WBG are THE three colors of getting stuff back out of the yard.

• Locked thread