Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i like the cined star wars thread b/c of all the people who straight up can't deal with alternative readings of films

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

Wrong. If it were a concentrated dose of DnD, a third of it would be pointing out that it's Tatooine, not Tattooine.

this sounds like something Vox himself would point out

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

My Imaginary GF posted:

My prediction: Gutting the pension funds and pension commitments by the "very serious people" in the name of "fiscal restraint."

it's not really a prediction when it's a thing that's been happening for years

Discendo Vox posted:

Have folks encountered The People's History of Tattooine? It's like a concentrated dose of DnD in twitter conversation form.

sounds like a rejected mcsweeny's piece

e: oh wait they had zinn and chomsky's fake commentary for lord of the rings

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 2, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
working on labor day wasn't that bad because the managers were all off, it was pretty relaxed and i got a lot done :unsmith:

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Swan Oat posted:

working on labor day wasn't that bad because the managers were all off, it was pretty relaxed and i got a lot done :unsmith:

Good for you! :coffeepal:

Who else hit snooze on their alarm and woke up an hour later instead of 9 minutes and now has to eat breakfast on the run?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

visceril posted:

Good for you! :coffeepal:

Who else hit snooze on their alarm and woke up an hour later instead of 9 minutes and now has to eat breakfast on the run?

I was actually early until I thought it was a good idea to catch up on the chat thread.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Piers Morgan has chosen not to renew his contract with CNN, in order to seek new pastures that meet with his standards.

One wonders why CNN would wish to continue the collaboration.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Does this mean that 1776 is commencing? :ohdear:

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

ufarn posted:

Piers Morgan has chosen not to renew his contract with CNN, in order to seek new pastures that meet with his standards.

One wonders why CNN would wish to continue the collaboration.

Americans have a weird fetish for being condescended to by Englishmen. It's why Simon Cowell, Gordon Ramsay, and the judges from America's Got Talent have been so successful

It's also why Gordon Ramsay is way meaner on his American show than his original British show

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

visceril posted:

Americans have a weird fetish for being condescended to by Englishmen. It's why Simon Cowell, Gordon Ramsay, and the judges from America's Got Talent have been so successful

It's also why Gordon Ramsay is way meaner on his American show than his original British show
Except Gordon Ramsay isn't English.

Also he's nicer on Hotel Hell than on Kitchen Nightmares.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gail Wynand posted:

Except Gordon Ramsay isn't English.

Also he's nicer on Hotel Hell than on Kitchen Nightmares.

He's British enough for Americans. To us Scottish people just sound like angry English people who've gone hoarse because of too much yelling.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

visceril posted:

Its pretty hilarious to switch between BBC America and Fox when his shows are on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The weirdest thing about the timespan in which I've been alive is how various swears become acceptable over time. When I started watching TV it was a big deal to say hell and drat. Now we're all the way up to poo poo. But who shall break the gently caress barrier?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

zoux posted:

The weirdest thing about the timespan in which I've been alive is how various swears become acceptable over time. When I started watching TV it was a big deal to say hell and drat. Now we're all the way up to poo poo. But who shall break the gently caress barrier?

The South Park episode where using "poo poo" on TV becomes acceptable is one of the better ones.

Also, Bono broke the "gently caress" barrier.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He's British enough for Americans. To us Scottish people just sound like angry English people who've gone hoarse because of too much yelling.

Also unless you are literally Groundskeeper Willie in a kilt holding bagpipes, it won't register as Scottish to Americans. Similarly, I don't think most Americans know what Welsh even is, in spite of the famous ones.

zoux posted:

Family Guy really wants it to be him. I can feel it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

NYPD Blue tried to bring poo poo and bare manass to American living rooms, but the 90s wasn't ready.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Are there even any prestige network TV dramas that could cross the gently caress Rubicon?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hannibal can show literally the most gory disturbing poo poo I've ever seen on a TV show ever and yet even they cannot.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alea Fuckta est.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Veni Vidi Vici

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In the most economical of terms, could someone explain to me what #gamersgate is and then can we absolutley not have a discussion about the intersection of politics/feminism/journalism/whatever and games, thanks in advance.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
gamersgate is paradox interactive's distribution company???

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
No please don't

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is my revenge for making me read arguments about sorkin and whedon :twisted:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
A female developer made a game that was intended to make a deep statement. An ex of that developer blogged that she cheated on him numerous times with people from the indie games and game journalism scene. "Gamers" take that as an attack on both the integrity of their hobby way of life as well as a sign that game journalism isn't really journalism. Due to the female developer being very loud about "social justice" themes in games, the whole thing escalated to a huge internet shitstorm between "gamers" and "social justice gamers". Things escalte even further when internet celebrities butt in and various sites try to moderate the heated discussions. Doxxing, name calling and unsubstantiated allegations of everything bad all around.

As the internet is consumed by flames, curtains fall.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

gamersgate is paradox interactive's distribution company???

Gamersgate and Paradox split a few years ago.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Randler posted:

A female developer made a game that was intended to make a deep statement. An ex of that developer blogged that she cheated on him numerous times with people from the indie games and game journalism scene. "Gamers" take that as an attack on both the integrity of their hobby way of life as well as a sign that game journalism isn't really journalism. Due to the female developer being very loud about "social justice" themes in games, the whole thing escalated to a huge internet shitstorm between "gamers" and "social justice gamers". Things escalte even further when internet celebrities butt in and various sites try to moderate the heated discussions. Doxxing, name calling and unsubstantiated allegations of everything bad all around.

As the internet is consumed by flames, curtains fall.

Gamersgate and Paradox split a few years ago.

I know all that, I thought gamersgate was something else.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

zoux posted:

I know all that, I thought gamersgate was something else.

Silly zoux. The internet can only focus on one thing at a time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's also a second activist who released a video about the use of sexist tropes in video games at about the same time. This one is now receiving internet abuse so bad that she had to temporarily leave her house while the cops investigated some death threats. It's literally a Perfect Storm of gamer outrage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

There's also a second activist who released a video about the use of sexist tropes in video games at about the same time. This one is now receiving internet abuse so bad that she had to temporarily leave her house while the cops investigated some death threats. It's literally a Perfect Storm of gamer outrage.

I think Anita Sarkeesian has been around for a while and they were just like "while we're anewly mad at feminism lets be mad at her some more".

I'm beginning to believe that America is more racist and Sexist than it was 20 years ago.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
My favorite part is where a couple of days ago, 4channers and redditors made a campaign of death and rape threats that scared Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian into leaving their homes for a few days, then made up a story about how Quinn was going to fake a brutal assault on herself so that Sarkeesian could force everybody to stop using the word "gamer" in favor of a word she and Quinn came up with which would exclude men from the hobby, therefore taking away male gamers' identities as gamers.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
If we are going for a full review of "Women in Gaming & The Internet" there was also Mighty Nr. 9, where people got upset that a vocal about SJ themes, not hardcore megaman fan woman was hired as community manager for a basically megaman game. (Didn't help that her boyfriend was already employed at the company so they could cry about nepotism as well.)

Basically, nerds who identify as gamers are horrible idiot people and are dumb enough to believe that gameing journalism and the games industry are supposed to be purer than other entertainment media.

Randler fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 2, 2014

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

zoux posted:

I think Anita Sarkeesian has been around for a while and they were just like "while we're anewly mad at feminism lets be mad at her some more".

She has, but there's a new shitfit every time one of her videos comes out and this one happened to coincide with the ongoing Zoe Quinn shitfit. Superposition :science:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My favorite thing from this whole thing is a series of tweets between A Cool Guy and A Gamer and while I can't find the SS I can create it from memory.

ACG: Do you even watch Anita's videos

AG: All of them except the last one they are full of lies

ACG: Can you give me an example?

AG: Hitman. The level where she says you discover a body of a dead hooker you use for a distraction, you actually have to murder the hooker and take her there.

Poster's note: I am not loving kidding.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zoux posted:

I'm beginning to believe that America is more racist and Sexist than it was 20 years ago.

Guys were a lot more secure 20 years ago.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I played Hitman Absolution and didn't murder a single hooker. I'll never be a true gamer. :smith: The hooker corpse distraction is forced, but somebody else killed the hooker ingame.

(Though I still find it hilarious that Saarkesian's video's premise of "Portrayal in Media can have real-life effects" gets parroted by people who were crying about Jack Thompson implying game violence cause real violence. But the current hardcore "gamers" might all be too young to have ever heard of Thompson.)

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Shageletic posted:

It's true - take a look at the clothes they wore.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I remember being a teenager who was into all kinds of geeky poo poo and wishing more girls were, and watching that happen and nerds responding to it by becoming shrieking misogynists spewing all manner of hate is just incredible and bizarre.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Shageletic posted:

Or maybe there wasn't a media outlet yet where people could publically discuss their insecurities.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

midnightclimax posted:

Or maybe there wasn't a media outlet yet where people could publically discuss their insecurities.

I'm pretty sure they already had marxist debate clubs and gettogethers at university campuses in the 80s. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

20 years ago was the 90's :unsmigghh:

• Locked thread