Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
So do we know how importing characters is actually going to work? Some stuff seems to say you can do it,, some say you can't, others say it's just if you get the ps4/xbone versions of SR4 first, which is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My guess is that it'll be the same as SR3 and 4 and you'll have to use that terrible website.

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
I managed to use the terrible website without major problems, hopefully that'll be it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

It should be if you help them out, they get restored to their original form and can be recruited :argh:

They did mention that the people in Insurance Fraud were working for time off their sentence in hell. (Which seems more purgatory's gig, but Saint's Row. It and reasonable expectations haven't been on speaking terms for years). Which makes it a pretty logical way to unlock homies, especially with most instanced missions seemingly gone.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
This games needs two Meatloaf songs - the obvious one, plus Alive (for the end credits): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzwflz98OLk

Yes, I liked Drive Angry. :v:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Itzena posted:

This games needs two Meatloaf songs - the obvious one, plus Alive (for the end credits): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzwflz98OLk

Yes, I liked Drive Angry. :v:
Bat out of Hell III is pretty underrated not as good as BOHI (which is godly) or BOHII. What I'm saying is Meat Loaf should be in the Rock N Roll HOF drat it! loving Abba are in it, but not Meat Loaf? :argh:

chiasaur11 posted:

They did mention that the people in Insurance Fraud were working for time off their sentence in hell. (Which seems more purgatory's gig, but Saint's Row. It and reasonable expectations haven't been on speaking terms for years). Which makes it a pretty logical way to unlock homies, especially with most instanced missions seemingly gone.
Well the idea of Purgatory has actually fallen out of favor with the Catholic Church soooo :goonsay:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Bat out of Hell III is pretty underrated not as good as BOHI (which is godly) or BOHII. What I'm saying is Meat Loaf should be in the Rock N Roll HOF drat it! loving Abba are in it, but not Meat Loaf? :argh:

If Meat Loaf has any head on his shoulders he doesn't give a poo poo about the Hall of Fame.

http://youtu.be/CeXjq70JHe8

It's a joke at this point.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

If Meat Loaf has any head on his shoulders he doesn't give a poo poo about the Hall of Fame.

http://youtu.be/CeXjq70JHe8

It's a joke at this point.

It's always been a joke. You can't try to apply metrics to art in order to judge which art was the highest-quality and deserves to be in some "hall of fame".

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Problem is when I think of what Meatloaf's done recently I can only think of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZdiaFXW2U8

Although he's also done Bookaboo so I dunno.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I think of this, personally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvvjiE4AdUI

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I am looking forward to the new game. It'll be weird not playing as the Boss for once but hey, we can play as Gat now! Hopefully they aren't rehashing Steelport yet again, because in all honesty that city is boring as gently caress.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
It's a new map. You can see it in the gameplay demo videos.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Yeah, they've said it's 50% the size of Steelport but built more vertically for superpowers and FLYING.

Man, this isn't coming out until January.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm sorry so say this. I haven't read the thread yet. I neglected to buy SRIV at launch because I just had a bad feeling about it, and my gut told me I'd be disappointed. I used to have an SR gang tang. I used to post in the SR2/3 thread daily. It's my favorite series of the last generation, and posting with you guys was amazing. I've played and beaten 1-3 multiple times, and I'm currently going through IV now. Unfortunately, my gut was right; the game loving sucks.

- The game isn't a sandbox. IV gives a lot of options by way of guns and powers, but most story missions take place in contained areas where you can't even use your leveled up Boss. In one mission, I was forced to use one gun the entire mission. It was tedious as hell. What happened to the freedom that made Saints Row famous? The game is barely a sandbox. because your toys become virtually useless when you need them most. Either you're being sent into some dumb rear end beat em up tribute to Streets of Rage, or you're restricted to using a mech. The series makes no pretenses hiding that it's not a sandbox anymore, and all this coming from the franchise that made a trailer lambasting Rockstar for making GTAIV content barren. Most story missions don't EXIST within the Steelport simulation. They exist either in a side activity padded filler mission, or outside the simulation where you lose the aforementioned powers. It makes one question what the point of the simulation is beyond pure novelty, and in open-world games, the world should not come off as novelty. SRIV might as well have levels instead of being open-world, because for the most of its story's duration, that's certainly what most of its content encompasses.

By my own observation, SRIV isn't for people who enjoy sandboxes or open-world games.

- The powers ruin the game by being too powerful. But more than that, they ruin any sense of exploration. Saints Row games prided themselves on the random and hilarious doozy of encountering some crazy nudist running out with his or hers private parts flapping in the wind, or some dork in a hot dog costume, or people doing yoga, or a barber shop quartet doing their thing before you viciously murder them by throwing them off a bajillion foot tall building. Beyond the excuse to kill and brutalize random people in a billion ways, Saints Row 2 did a lot to make Stilwater a believable place, full of life, with hidden secrets worth investigating and a world worth getting involved in because any random assortment of random events would happen when you least expected it - a gang war on your turf, a call for backup because your crew needs help during a gang invasion. Not Saints Row IV. We already knew that Steelport sucked and was lacking detail because of The Third, but IV makes it even worse. WHen you can fly through the city as blazing fast speeds, there's little reason to stop and smell the roses. Due to this, the game has a very point A to point B feel. Sure, you can go off and grab some clusters, but that feeling of randomness and delight that gave the world legitimacey is absent.

- The writing is awful. Saints Row 1-3 were grounded, yet silly games with a lighthearted bent. Their characterizations, themes, and stories ambitious for a crime sandbox game, a genre often cratered with cliches. But these games gave you characters to care about and laugh at (sample: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwRz41qyBfQ. They were silly and the knew it. But Saints Row IV's humor and writing are mostly leaning towards the pop culture/past references bent. In one mission, you're sent inside an arcade game that's a tribute to Streets of Rage. It has no meaning nor merit. In The Third, when you hack into the vr kit to get Matt, you do so because he's an elite hacker and it's the only place you can get to him. Despite being unrealistic, it made sense within the world the came was a part of: one with luchadores with missiles and giant floating battleships.

But SRIV is like Family Guy: The Game or something. The bulk of its content spends all of its time going,"remember the time when?" and making random pop culture references rather than standing on its own while putting all of this under the facade of being a "parody" at the expense of everything else. But rather than saying anything truly meaningful about what it's parodying, much like modern parody movies such as Date Movie and Disaster Movie, it's merely an endless stream of pop culture/gaming/remember when?!?!??! references to mask its creative bankruptcy. Haha, Saints of Rage! Haha, get it? They're doing a tribute to Streets of Rage! I get that reference!!! Not that I'm not down with pop culture references and all the other stuff, because pop culture references are a thing in Saints Row, especially The Third - which I love - but Jesus Christ use a goddamn filter. It's a personal jump the shark moment.

- The mission variety is awful. Most side missions reuse the same goals. Carjack the data. Clear the sin troops. Race through the system. Win zin's favorite game show. Clear the zin troops. It's repetitive and NOT fun.

- Use of side activities for story missions, also seen in The Third.

I can go on. I don't use the word hate very often. But I hate Saints Row IV. It has undone every last bit of every single thing I loved about the franchise. From its charming cast of characters and writing without taking itself seriously, to the open-ended gameplay that prized itself on its ability to allow the player their own methodology and freedom, the customization that extended that. I'm still going through IV, but it's so loving boring to play that it's taking a while.

It's funny how GTA and SR have flipped positions in the past year. GTAV was great despite its flaws, and a beautiful tribute and spiritual successor to the series' most celebrated past game entry. SRIV shoves and crams as many Saints Row nods as possible without any sense of gravitas or weight except for sheer randomness, and insults the series' memory instead of giving a worthy tribute or spiritual successor.

Saints Row IV loving sucks, and now we're going to be fighting Satan. It doesn't even star a custom made character you hand crafted yourself. Is there any point to this series being called Saints Row anymore at all?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Thanks for your input.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

The Deadly Hume posted:

Problem is when I think of what Meatloaf's done recently I can only think of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZdiaFXW2U8

Although he's also done Bookaboo so I dunno.
I can only think of the concert I saw him in on a hot summer night where it was really humid and a gigantic loving storm just barely passing us by where we could see lightning flashing in the clouds as he sang Bat Out of Hell. And then he did one of his newer songs and fainted mid song because he really gives it all despite being an old fat man and I thought, "Holy poo poo this is like watching Misawa dying in the ring" then he got up and finished the concert (this was halfway through btw) and man I'm glad he's kind of done touring.

Meanwhile my 13 yr old brother goes to a Primus concert and then introduces me the 20 year old at the time to the music of Primus, Mr. Bungle and the Residents.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Krowley posted:

Thanks for your input.

I realize it probably wasn't the best place to write it, but I just had to get it off my chest. I understand if you disagree.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Have you tried playing co-op?

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I thought it was pretty funny that after just running around the map, dicking around, and doing all of the side activities, that much of the game became just talking to people on the ship to finish their sidequests.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

circ dick soleil posted:

Have you tried playing co-op?

Not yet. I have it on ps3 if anyone's willing to play with me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Himuro posted:

- Use of side activities for story missions, also seen in The Third.

Most of what you write is just "I don't like this" which can't really be argued with. OK, you don't like it. But when does SR4 use side activities as story missions? I know SR3 did that a lot and it was really annoying, I don't remember SR4 doing it except near the very beginning in that sort of tutorial section where Kinzie gets you to do one of each of the Targets and hack a shop. Maybe I'm just not remembering it, but certainly most of the story missions are unique.

Also, I don't understand your complaint about it not being a sandbox. Yeah, there are quite a few missions where you leave the simulation, but there's just tons of stuff that you do within the simulation as well. And a lot of it you can do whenever you like, either intentionally doing a bunch of stuff or just flying around doing whatever you come across.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I see a lot of your post going back to the concept of realism.

I am not sure you read the advertising materials for this game. Like, at all.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tiggum posted:

Most of what you write is just "I don't like this" which can't really be argued with. OK, you don't like it. But when does SR4 use side activities as story missions? I know SR3 did that a lot and it was really annoying, I don't remember SR4 doing it except near the very beginning in that sort of tutorial section where Kinzie gets you to do one of each of the Targets and hack a shop. Maybe I'm just not remembering it, but certainly most of the story missions are unique.

I think C.I.D.'s introduction is one of the speed rifts, but I'm not certain.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

Also, I don't understand your complaint about it not being a sandbox. Yeah, there are quite a few missions where you leave the simulation, but there's just tons of stuff that you do within the simulation as well. And a lot of it you can do whenever you like, either intentionally doing a bunch of stuff or just flying around doing whatever you come across.

There are missions that use side activities like in The third. The fight club mission, for instance. The speed rift mission. That said, maybe you're right. I still haven't completed the game. I've only just gotten Gat. Have no clue how far into the game that is.

As for your other statement, most missions still exist outside the sandbox. I'm shotgunning the story missions one after another because the side quests are awful (haven't done any loyalty quests yet, to be fair, but my expectations aren't exactly high) and the last 4 out of 5 story missions the sandbox was not used in favor of linear unique set pieces.

Coolguye posted:

I see a lot of your post going back to the concept of realism.

I am not sure you read the advertising materials for this game. Like, at all.

Not necessarily. I didn't buy it on release for many reasons, and the change of setting definitely turned me off, but it was the light content while charging full price that set me off. I expected this due to VR, but I'm not talking about realism. Going into a hackers VR world is not realistic. The psycho poo poo you do in SR2 is not realistic. There's a line between grounded with a self aware sense of humor and completely bonkers. As a Saints Row fan, there's nothing wrong with not liking the series' direction despite reading the fine print.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Sep 2, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Himuro posted:

Saints Row IV loving sucks, and now we're going to be fighting Satan. It doesn't even star a custom made character you hand crafted yourself. Is there any point to this series being called Saints Row anymore at all?

Meanwhile 4 is my favorite in the franchise. The further they get away from being GTA the better. I sincerely hope the next installment involves time travel because I totally want to horse jack people with a dropkick.

The 100% ending totally sets this up as a viable future of the franchise, too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I can't think of a loyalty quest that isn't unique in some way or another, but the only story mission that is truly taken up by a diversion is CID's introduction. The game occasionally forces you to play an easy diversion to unlock more of them and to train you in some new power (I'm pretty sure you're forced to do a Mind Over Murder after you get Telekinesis), but that is not really the same thing and that also tended to happen as far back as SR2.

e:

Himuro posted:

Not necessarily. I didn't buy it on release for many reasons, and the change of setting definitely turned me off, but it was the light content while charging full price that set me off. I expected this due to VR, but I'm not talking about realism. Going into a hackers VR world is not realistic. The psycho poo poo you do in SR2 is not realistic. There's a line between grounded with a self aware sense of humor and completely bonkers. As a Saints Row fan, there's nothing wrong with not liking the series' direction despite reading the fine print.
You are completely missing the point. There was no 'fine print' that this was going completely off the rails. I direct your attention to the steam store page.

First line you see in the advertising creative: "Gloriously stupid. Gloriously good."

And the first two bullets under 'Key Features:'
The American (Fever) Dream – Play as the President of the United States in a story that spans countries, space, and time. Saints Row IV is to Saints Row: The Third what Saints Row: The Third is to Do The Right Thing. You’re not ready.
Super Hero-in-Chief – Leap over buildings. Kill people with your mind. Run through tanks. Those are some of the most mundane powers you will wield in your quest to stop an alien menace hell-bent on destroying the Earth.

What part of this gave you the idea that they were even paying lip-service to the old GTA-like action that you say you got the game for? It's entirely reasonable for you to not prefer the direction the series is going, but to say the game sucks because of that really seems to say more about your reading comprehension than it does the game itself. I would totally feel you if this was Doom 3 and you disliked the game because it wasn't scary. The advertising for that game is chock full of assertions that it is terrifying, when the most terrifying thing that game does is have a monster scream from behind you. 50 times. SR4 was clear from word one and minute one that it was going to be a Saturday morning cartoon.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 2, 2014

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Blazing Ownager posted:

Meanwhile 4 is my favorite in the franchise. The further they get away from being GTA the better. I sincerely hope the next installment involves time travel because I totally want to horse jack people with a dropkick.

The 100% ending totally sets this up as a viable future of the franchise, too.

GTA? You think SR2 and 3 are comparable to GTA?

And that idea of yours sounds really unappealing to me. If it were any other series I'd be fine with it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rookersh posted:

I do like how Jezebel starts out wearing purple. Just in case it wasn't obvious enough she was going to be an ally/Saint by the end of this.

Convert everyone! :black101:

Predicting the ending: The boss decides "Hey, she's cool, I'll go through with this!" and right before it happens Gat comes in and "saves the day" by shooting satan in the face out of loving nowhere.

Himuro posted:

GTA? You think SR2 and 3 are comparable to GTA?

And that idea of yours sounds really unappealing to me. If it were any other series I'd be fine with it.

2 yeah. I mean it sure had it's own style but they were still keeping at least one foot in being a GTA styled game. 3 is when they started going crazy. The leap from 3 to 4 is not far.

3 felt like a Super Villain game more than a crime game, honestly. Right down to the themed gangs and crazy sci-fi weapons.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Blazing Ownager posted:

The leap from 3 to 4 is not far.

3 -> 4 is a pretty huge leap. 3 is still pretty grounded despite being cartoony.

I find 2 more of a super villain game than 3.

Coolguye posted:

I can't think of a loyalty quest that isn't unique in some way or another, but the only story mission that is truly taken up by a diversion is CID's introduction. The game occasionally forces you to play an easy diversion to unlock more of them and to train you in some new power (I'm pretty sure you're forced to do a Mind Over Murder after you get Telekinesis), but that is not really the same thing and that also tended to happen as far back as SR2.

e:

You are completely missing the point. There was no 'fine print' that this was going completely off the rails. I direct your attention to the steam store page.

First line you see in the advertising creative: "Gloriously stupid. Gloriously good."

And the first two bullets under 'Key Features:'
The American (Fever) Dream – Play as the President of the United States in a story that spans countries, space, and time. Saints Row IV is to Saints Row: The Third what Saints Row: The Third is to Do The Right Thing. You’re not ready.
Super Hero-in-Chief – Leap over buildings. Kill people with your mind. Run through tanks. Those are some of the most mundane powers you will wield in your quest to stop an alien menace hell-bent on destroying the Earth.

What part of this gave you the idea that they were even paying lip-service to the old GTA-like action that you say you got the game for? It's entirely reasonable for you to not prefer the direction the series is going, but to say the game sucks because of that really seems to say more about your reading comprehension than it does the game itself. I would totally feel you if this was Doom 3 and you disliked the game because it wasn't scary. The advertising for that game is chock full of assertions that it is terrifying, when the most terrifying thing that game does is have a monster scream from behind you. 50 times. SR4 was clear from word one and minute one that it was going to be a Saturday morning cartoon.

Who said I expected them to pay lip service? I bought it because it was a Saints Row game. I'm complaining because to me it doesn't feel like a Saints Row game.

You're basically telling me that because I don't like the tone and direction of the series that I don't have a right to complain because, well, that's how they advertised IV. Which is bullshit. Your logic makes no sense.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 2, 2014

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Himuro posted:

3 -> 4 is a pretty huge leap. 3 is still pretty grounded despite being cartoony.

In the intro of the game, you literally throw Shaundi from a freefall, jump through an entire passenger jet, and catch her again. Then you dodge shipping containers and cars on your way down, Because Reasons. That's just in the first 10 minutes.

No, SR3 was not even remotely grounded in any reality I live in. SR2 kinda was, as cartoonishly evil as the Boss gets during the Brotherhood missions and how much the Ronin missions come off as a modern adaptation of a Sengoku era movie. But SR3 gleefully threw 'groundedness' out the window in favor of Fun. SR4 simply built a Fun Rocket and blasted off into Outer Fun Space.

Himuro posted:

Who said I expected them to pay lip service? I bought it because it was a Saints Row game. I'm complaining because to me it doesn't feel like a Saints Row game.

You're basically telling me that because I don't like the tone and direction of the series that I don't have a right to complain because, well, that's how they advertised IV. Which is bullshit. Your logic makes no sense.
You are still entirely missing the point. I am saying that if you were a fan of SR2 and wanted more of that tenor and tone, a cursory glance of the store page would have told you in bold and bright letters (literally!) that this was completely not in the cards. You are not buying a gang simulator game, or anything of that tenor. You don't buy Bad Rats and then complain that it's not a horror game. Bad Rats was never remotely intended to be a horror game. You bought a game that told you from the first minute of gameplay and the first word of advertising that this was going to be an absolutely retarded romp because gently caress being serious all the time, we're puckish rogues and we have fun. And then you complained - at length - that it wasn't the semi-realistic gang game you were looking for.

It was never going to be that. You knew that, or should have. If that means you don't like the game, that's fine, but that doesn't mean the game sucks, it just means you really should've paid some attention to the very clear signals everything was giving off.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Sep 2, 2014

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Coolguye posted:

In the intro of the game, you literally throw Shaundi from a freefall, jump through an entire passenger jet, and catch her again. Then you dodge shipping containers and cars on your way down, Because Reasons. That's just in the first 10 minutes.

No, SR3 was not even remotely grounded in any reality I live in. SR2 kinda was, as cartoonishly evil as the Boss gets during the Brotherhood missions and how much the Ronin missions come off as a modern adaptation of a Sengoku era movie. But SR3 gleefully threw 'groundedness' out the window in favor of Fun. SR4 simply built a Fun Rocket and blasted off into Outer Fun Space.

It's grounded in the sense that it makes sense within the games world and tone. I'm not getting that from IV. Grounded does not mean "realistic". It means sensible and balanced. IV has thrown out any hint of balance, and pretending like The Third goes for a similar methodology is erroneous.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 2, 2014

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Himuro posted:

It's grounded in the sense that it makes sense within the games world and tone. I'm not getting that from IV. Grounded does not mean "realistic". It means sensible and balanced. IV has thrown out any hint of balance, and pretending like The Third goes for a similar methodology is erroneous.

Uh dude in 3rd the tanks you get in that game are, for all intents and purposes, indestructable. I'm pretty sure my longest rampage in a single STAG tank was like 35 minutes, and even after that I didn't die, I just got bored and puttered to the nearest safehouse, where I instantly lost all notoriety immediately. At max level the only thing you the player can be hurt by is melee, other than that you are completely invincible. You also have unlimited ammo for everything from explosive pistols to rocket launchers. There is nothing at all sensible and balanced in SR3.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Coolguye posted:

SR4 simply built a Fun Rocket and blasted off into Outer Fun Space.

SR4 added pipe dream minigames and jumping puzzle towers. And even those were jam packed with outta this world Fun!

Coolguye posted:

You don't buy Bad Rats and then complain that it's not a horror game. Bad Rats was never remotely intended to be a horror game.

Bad Rats is a horror game though.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 2, 2014

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Coolguye posted:

Uh dude in 3rd the tanks you get in that game are, for all intents and purposes, indestructable. I'm pretty sure my longest rampage in a single STAG tank was like 35 minutes, and even after that I didn't die, I just got bored and puttered to the nearest safehouse, where I instantly lost all notoriety immediately. At max level the only thing you the player can be hurt by is melee, other than that you are completely invincible. You also have unlimited ammo for everything from explosive pistols to rocket launchers. There is nothing at all sensible and balanced in SR3.

You're talking about tanks. I'm talking about gameplay, themes, tone, and themes. Saying The Third, a crime game where you're mostly on foot or in vehicles, is on the same footing as the game where you fly and climb towers is really loving stupid.

You bring up how in SRTT it's hard to hurt your end game character when the same is true for 1 and 2. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
I'm capitalizing the word Fun so you don't forget how much Fun this game is.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I...don't find it overly Fun. :smith: I'm guessing different people get different things from open world games. For what it's worth, Crackdown and Infamous bored the gently caress out of me too. Never played Prototype, but I'm sure I'd find it boring as well. I don't know, I guess I have different expectations for what makes these type of games fun and I understand I'm seemingly in the minority here. It sucks, because this will likely be my last Saints Row, and I enjoyed the series from inception. But I guess it's time to move on. I'm okay with that.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I do not understand the meaning of "sensible and balanced" in this context.

SR1 was what it was because the genres (crime, sandbox) were popular and the people behind the game wanted to make one. SR2 was the improved sequel, SR3 and SR4 try new things, for better or for worse. You expected them to make the same game again, but with different art assets/cutscenes? The games definitely could be better but the marketing is pretty accurate.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Himuro posted:

You're talking about tanks. I'm talking about gameplay, themes, tone, and themes. Saying The Third, a crime game where you're mostly on foot or in vehicles, is on the same footing as the game where you fly and climb towers is really loving stupid.

You bring up how in SRTT it's hard to hurt your end game character when the same is true for 1 and 2. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

Dude, you are literally fighting an entire special forces division in SRTT AND WINNING. Routinely! Even though they were practically tailor made to fight you after SR2. Which is hilarious in and of itself. You can't jump over a building in a single bound, but you can call a stripper to fly in a military attack helicopter which you then use to murder literally hundreds of people, with absolutely no credible threat fielded against you. This is SRTT's gameplay, and if you don't call literal invincibility a 'super power' I have no idea what would be.

For themes, you are defeating the Big Bad by doing pro wrestling moves and unmasking him on live TV.

For tone, you are preparing for this thing by driving around with a loving tiger clawing at the back of your head. This is your training montage.

For themes AGAIN, just...Zimos. Just everything that has anything to do with Zimos. How in the hell is this even remotely grounded, or sensible, or any other weasel word you want to use?

It's not 'hard' for the AI to hurt your character at the end of SRTT. It's literally impossible! You can get max notoriety, stand in the middle of the street, walk away and go cook dinner, and you will still not be dead when you get back. If I remember right the best damage resistance powerup you got in SR2 was 30%, and even that required you to accomplish level 6 diversions (which were never required, ever) to attain. In SR3 they're handed to you after you cap out levels, which can be done while accomplishing about half of the stuff on the island. Claiming that this poo poo was grounded and balanced is objectively incorrect.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Sep 2, 2014

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I actually managed to kill myself with all upgrades. Takes some doing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

There's one way you can always die in SRTT, even with all the upgrades: Invite in a friend who has the Apoca-fists.

• Locked thread