Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ninjewtsu posted:

When I tried the first few episodes of Gintama it seemed exceedingly dull and boring to me, and I barely smiled during any of the 2-3 episodes I watched. Am I just lacking in humor or something, or does it not get good until episode 30 or whatever?

The latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Is there any (good) 4-koma manga that didn't get better when it was adapted into an anime? Servant x Service and Working!! also immediately come to mind.

I hadn't really thought about it as a trend, but I was about to suggest Azumanga Daioh, so there's another data point.

I think the ability to play with timing is a big part of it, since that's so important in comedy. In Azumanga's case, there's also the delightfully whimsical soundtrack and Norio Wakamoto.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

When I tried the first few episodes of Gintama it seemed exceedingly dull and boring to me, and I barely smiled during any of the 2-3 episodes I watched. Am I just lacking in humor or something, or does it not get good until episode 30 or whatever?

Look, Gintama is the One Piece of dick jokes. And just like One Piece, it takes a while to get good. But when it does, oh man does it ever get good.

The first 30-35 episodes are very hit-or-miss, but it does have some glimpses of what it'll become. Once you get to the part where Gintoki and Kagura's dad piss on a dead alien, you'll know if it's your thing or not.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Kubla Khan posted:

Could someone suggest a good anime that's actually superior to its manga source material?

Railgun. Your mileage may vary.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Allarion posted:

The latter.

It's more like episode 25. And then immediately after that episode it gets kinda boring again. (Maybe it goes in cycles, I quit by episode 35 or 36 or so.)

But episode 25 of Gintama is very funny. :v:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I like Azumanga about equally in both formats. I like K-on! just fine as an anime, but it made me feel like a creeplord when I tried to read it.

And I haven't read Chihayafuru yet because I'm stubbornly holding out for a third season.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kubla Khan posted:

Could someone suggest a good anime that's actually superior to its manga source material?

While both are extremely good, I'd say that the Ping Pong anime was even better than the manga. It had all of the good from the manga with some extra good stuff added in.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

a kitten posted:

I like K-on! just fine as an anime, but it made me feel like a creeplord when I tried to read it.

That's really weird seeing as very little changes

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Namtab posted:

That's really weird seeing as very little changes

Agreed, actually. True nonetheless.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's more like episode 25. And then immediately after that episode it gets kinda boring again. (Maybe it goes in cycles, I quit by episode 35 or 36 or so.)

But episode 25 of Gintama is very funny. :v:

I actually agree with that now that I looked up the episodes. That was one of my favorite episodes actually, but yeah, Gintama takes a while to find its footing, since the first set of episodes are essentially introducing the large cast of characters. Then after that it's basically all about them interacting with each other while dealing with another ridiculous scenario or parody they feel like doing that week. And occasionally, you get an emotional arc, because holy poo poo, the arc starting from episode 101 caught me off guard considering it starts with the premise of Hijitaka being possessed by an otaku.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Nate RFB posted:

Is there any (good) 4-koma manga that didn't get better when it was adapted into an anime? Servant x Service and Working!! also immediately come to mind.

I'll say Azumanga Daioh is way funnier as a manga than it is as an anime. I loved the anime when I first watched it, but then read the manga. After coming back to the anime, the anime stretches out jokes to the point they aren't funny, it adds bad filler material, and a lot of the jokes lose their punch when they have to become animated rather than a simple "setup premise -> thing happens -> Joke". Granted the show did make some jokes a lot better as well because of what animation can do, it's just that the manga is usually superior.

Hidamari Sketch suffers from a lot of the jokes getting dragged out too to fit entire episodes, but I find that it managed to handle it better than Azumanga did.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Allarion posted:

I actually agree with that now that I looked up the episodes. That was one of my favorite episodes actually, but yeah, Gintama takes a while to find its footing, since the first set of episodes are essentially introducing the large cast of characters. Then after that it's basically all about them interacting with each other while dealing with another ridiculous scenario or parody they feel like doing that week. And occasionally, you get an emotional arc, because holy poo poo, the arc starting from episode 101 caught me off guard considering it starts with the premise of Hijitaka being possessed by an otaku.

Toshi. His name is Toshi. :colbert:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

edit: welp nevermind I guess I should finish reading the thread before posting

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, I finished watching Strike the Blood, and while it wasn't anything spectacular, it was fairly fun and it went by without me having any desire to gouge my eyes out. I have to admit that, due to the Index/Railgun comparisons, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it wasn't anywhere nearly as badly paced or poorly scripted as either of the two Index seasons were. I do have to say this, though: Due to all the :pervert: kissing/vampire-biting, I started getting some serious Negima vibes. Overall, it was fairly okay in that middle-of-the-road anime way, gratuitous fanservice notwithstanding. Has anyone read the novels here? Do they have any of the same trashy, mindless fun vibe?

I'm asking because the author (who also wrote Asura Cryin' and the Dantalian no Shoka, both which I also enjoyed far more than I expected at first) seems to have zoned-in on what makes a story fun.

Additionally, Level-E was :krad: and I'm somewhat sad that it went by so fast.

TheBigTwo
Mar 1, 2013
So a used video store near me has a series called "Gasaraki" dirt cheap and I was wondering if anyone's seen it and call tell me what they thought of it.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

TheBigTwo posted:

So a used video store near me has a series called "Gasaraki" dirt cheap and I was wondering if anyone's seen it and call tell me what they thought of it.

I've attempted to start it 3 times and it's got a 7 minute Noh dance section in the first episode. I've heard it's a very interesting show but it's glacially paced. What's dirt cheap?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheBigTwo posted:

It's co-directed by the guy who directed/wrote VOTOMS and the dude who wrote/directed/unleashed upon the world Code Geass. And yes, it's pretty good, although nowhere near as great as VOTOMS or as larger-than-life / fun as Code Geass. Still good. Pretty drat good.

TheBigTwo
Mar 1, 2013

TARDISman posted:

I've attempted to start it 3 times and it's got a 7 minute Noh dance section in the first episode. I've heard it's a very interesting show but it's glacially paced. What's dirt cheap?

10 bucks for the whole series.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

TheBigTwo posted:

Buy it. Gasaraki is a very dense, political show that also happens to have probably the most realistic depictions of mecha suits in anime, like the creators actually went out of their way to make something that could feasibly work in real life. It also has fantasy sub-plot tacked on because it came out a couple of years after Evangelion.

The noh dance at the start is barely a couple of minutes long, not 7, and is a big part of the fantasy stuff.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Nate RFB posted:

AZUFUCKINGMANGA DAIOH

Y'know what? Azuma is right when he says he doesn't want a Yotsuba&! anime :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yotsuba isn't a 4koma. There's a fundamental difference between 4koma and not, and adapting the two.

And for what it was, the Azumanga Daioh anime was great. You can say what you will about it compared to the manga, but as a stand-alone product, it's very much serviceable. It's also great gif-fodder. It's not perfect, but it's definitely above-average.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Azumanga Daioh anime is just a slow starter anyway and adapts alot of the odd jokes pretty well. Te manga also stopped being a 4koma at all past the half-way point anyway and the anime picks up at about the point it does that too.

I still have the music track to the anime stuck in my head after all these years and the non-dub version is great (because sleepy-rear end sounding japanese Osaka > southern hill-billy Osaka).

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 2, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

Yotsuba isn't a 4koma. There's a fundamental difference between 4koma and not, and adapting the two.

And for what it was, the Azumanga Daioh anime was great. You can say what you will about it compared to the manga, but as a stand-alone product, it's very much serviceable. It's also great gif-fodder. It's not perfect, but it's definitely above-average.

If I vaguely remember right, wasn't Azumanga Daioh also first adapted as five-minute shorts run through the week, then merged into the full episode versions? (hence the chapter titles through the episodes).

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Wark Say posted:

It's co-directed by the guy who directed/wrote VOTOMS and the dude who wrote/directed/unleashed upon the world Code Geass. And yes, it's pretty good, although nowhere near as great as VOTOMS or as larger-than-life / fun as Code Geass. Still good. Pretty drat good.

There's an interesting interview with both of them here, where their roles and other details about the production of Gasaraki are made clearer. Ryousuke Takahashi was the director and original creator, while Taniguchi described his assistant director role as simply that of a secretary or "makeup artist" at the time.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

TheBigTwo posted:

I bought the original 8 disc DVD set for that price more than a decade ago. I couldn't watch it beyond the first disc, it was just too boring. Discs 2-8 are still the only DVDs I own and have never watched.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I'm on episode 16 of Star Driver and I'm running out of interest. The initial premise was exciting, but it's wearing thin, and the episodes seem formulaic now. Does the story come to a conclusion, or is it 10 more robot fights?

Also my wife and I are watching Monthly Girls Nozaki and Sabagebu. We're loving both of them. What are some good light comedies, light romance a plus, minimal skeeviness?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Ulta posted:

What are some good light comedies, light romance a plus, minimal skeeviness?

Servant x Service basically fits this brief to a T. The Devil is a Part Timer has less romance, but is very funny. One Week Friends has a bit less comedy and a bit more romance.

If Sabagebu is your thing some of the personnel involved also made Love Lab and YuruYuri, the former of which seems to be viewed a bit more favorably here, although both have admirers and detractors.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 4, 2014

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Ulta posted:

What are some good light comedies, light romance a plus, minimal skeeviness?

e;fb

Servant x Service! It's about a bunch of dysfunctional civil servants and their silly daily lives. Very light, very comedy, has light romance. I haven't watched either of the shows you mentioned but I get the feeling you'd really like this one.

By the same author there's also Working!! (officially localized as Wagnaria!!) but the main character is polarizing, in that his gimmick is an unhealthy obsession with small things, including children, played for comedy. Other than that it's basically the same as above, but with restaurant workers rather than civil servants, this time also including teenagers.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ulta posted:

I'm on episode 16 of Star Driver and I'm running out of interest. The initial premise was exciting, but it's wearing thin, and the episodes seem formulaic now. Does the story come to a conclusion, or is it 10 more robot fights?

Also my wife and I are watching Monthly Girls Nozaki and Sabagebu. We're loving both of them. What are some good light comedies, light romance a plus, minimal skeeviness?

Star Driver does start out really strong, then it kinda fizzles out midway. There is a resolution at the end, though whether that's for better or worse is highly debated. The camp factor did allow me to keep on smiling, because, for all its missteps, the series does have a lot of heart, even if sometimes its tongue is firmly planted in its cheek.

For comedies similar to Nozaki, I would recommend you Squid Girl, Working!! (Wagnaria!! in the US) and Servant x Service. For something akin to Sabagebu, maybe you should give Daily Lives of High School Boys a spin?

fake edit: How the gently caress did I get beaten not once, but twice? :negative: But yeah, they're all solid.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Seconding Squid Girl, with emphasis on the dub which has the most wonderful collection of marine life based puns known to humankind.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Thanks all. I think I'll drop Star Driver and just hang on to that initial craziness. Definitely going to give Servant x Servant and Working!!! a whirl and see how that plays.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

For something akin to Sabagebu, maybe you should give Daily Lives of High School Boys a spin?

If you want a comedy this is your best option

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Ulta posted:

I really like Samurai Flamenco, but your mileage may vary depending on how much you like character studies of post-war Japanese history. It's very much a look at the changing face of young people in Japan right now, but it also ties in to a lot of similar problems the country had during the economic boom in the 80's. On it's face it's a sort of SoL meets action series about a very stupid but well meaning male model who wants to be a super hero and a trail of people who get dragged into his world because his optimism helps them with their problems.

Also it's worth not reading the spoilers since it has a reasonable amount of twists in it for that type of show.

It was made on kind of a shoestring budget however so the animation is sometimes kind lovely. Not like super duper lovely, but not as good as similar shows like Star Driver, Towa No Quon and Heat Guy J.

I have a request I guess. My friend wants an anime that will fill his Game of Thrones fix. I suggested FMA:B and Fate/Zero because those have a pretty decent mix of plots, plans within plans, and fight scenes. I'm open to other suggestions. He couldn't get into LotGH because it was too talk heavy and too old looking (an opinion I can respect if like him you just started watching anime less than 5 years ago).

I'm hesitant with to bring up anything still running as well. While I think he'll like Argevollen (he really likes Break Blade) I have no loving idea where that show is going to end up. Like, it's a really good synthesis of Break Blade/Code Geass/8th MS Team right now but it has its hands in so many pies I don't know how it's going to deliver in a way that isn't stupid or unsatisfying.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Berserk, but that wouldn't work out well if he doesn't like old looking stuff. He'd be better off reading the manga anyway.

Oh, you could try the new movies I guess, almost forgot about those. They're not great and cut out a lot of the character stuff though.

Funny Bunny
Aug 7, 2005
I'd say Twelve Kingdoms is the perfect suggestion here.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Berserk is like the Blood Meridian of Manga, It's amazing but I don't think its going to ever really be possible to make an adaptation that anyway approaches the source material in quality.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I have a request I guess. My friend wants an anime that will fill his Game of Thrones fix. I suggested FMA:B and Fate/Zero because those have a pretty decent mix of plots, plans within plans, and fight scenes. I'm open to other suggestions. He couldn't get into LotGH because it was too talk heavy and too old looking (an opinion I can respect if like him you just started watching anime less than 5 years ago).
If he doesn't insist on Anime, there are the Romance of the three Kingdoms TV series. They are all good in their own ways, but I recommend the 2010 one.
Crest/Banner of the Stars maybe, even though it is a bit lighter then the other ones.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Funny Bunny posted:

I'd say Twelve Kingdoms is the perfect suggestion here.

Going to second this. I watched Twelve Kingdoms due to a recommendation in this thread, and it's a really wonderful show. You really become immersed in the world it creates.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Ulta posted:

Thanks all. I think I'll drop Star Driver and just hang on to that initial craziness.

The first arc is incredible and everything after that is a nosedive, with occasion big oh poo poo moments leading to nothing. It's really rather disappointing.

The movie has a much better resolution (it's a recap / remake) and eliminates a lot of the repetitiveness and cuts out some of the less interesting parts people complained about. it also dick teases 'outside the time thing mecha' and then totally doesn't deliver which is a poo poo rear end move but I was reasonably entertained and much less disappointed than after watching the first arc of the series all at once and then following the (bad) last 2/3rds week to week.

Disclaimer: I was blitzed while watching the movie so if it actually gets really lovely at the end I probably forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

Going to second this. I watched Twelve Kingdoms due to a recommendation in this thread, and it's a really wonderful show. You really become immersed in the world it creates.

This is true, and I've recommended it many times in this thread, but I'm a little hesitant to do so for a Game of Thrones fan. Twelve Kingdoms has best-in-class fantasy world-building, but the plot is fairly straight-forward, there are only a couple twists, and there are very few fight scenes. If the friend likes fantasy shows/novels in general, it's a definite must-watch, but if they're only a fan of Game of Thrones for the constant barrage of shocking surprises and the combat, it may not go over as well.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 5, 2014

• Locked thread