Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

ghostofbox posted:

Is it pretty much impossible to make high quality stuff using only free plugins? I feel like I'm limiting myself, but I'm on Linux so I don't want to pay for a plugin that may not emulate correctly.

Absolutely not. There are tons of really awesome free plugins, both stuff with character and utilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
I just heard about Libre Music Production last night. It's a site all about setting up Linux DAW PCs. They have a page that mentions a couple linux instruments, and a filterable Tools page that lists a bunch of Linux audio tools and plugins.

Pretty rad.

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator

Flipperwaldt posted:

So are vst plugin bridges for Linux now worth poo poo or something? Because you peeps keep suggesting things that don't have a native Linux version and I'm wondering if it's become worth the trouble to turn an old computer in a Linux musicstation or if you're just frustrating the guy more with great stuff he can't use.

I've been using Reaper in Wine on Linux, and it tends to act okay although not reliably so. As far as frustrating, at least it was free to try those out. Synth1 appears to crash, so I'm a bit sad about that.

Radiapathy posted:

I just heard about Libre Music Production last night. It's a site all about setting up Linux DAW PCs. They have a page that mentions a couple linux instruments, and a filterable Tools page that lists a bunch of Linux audio tools and plugins.

Pretty rad.

Thanks for that! I haven't had a lot of experience with JACK, and when I have it has been a bit unstable. That's just personal experience, though. I'll read through this.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ghostofbox posted:

I've been using Reaper in Wine on Linux, and it tends to act okay although not reliably so. As far as frustrating, at least it was free to try those out. Synth1 appears to crash, so I'm a bit sad about that.
TAL Noisemaker is also a pretty good synth and thanks to Radiapathy's link I now know that it has both a free vst and a linux native version. TAL stuff in general is pretty good.

I'll list you some more good free stuff I have in my vsti folder that you could try: FreeAlpha, Hahaha CS33v2, SQ8L, SuperWave P8 and FireBird. Particularly fond of that last one.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

ghostofbox posted:

Thanks for that! I haven't had a lot of experience with JACK, and when I have it has been a bit unstable. That's just personal experience, though. I'll read through this.

In my experience, you'll need to install a low latency kernel in order to get JACK to be stable and responsive. That's one of the main differences between Linux as an audio machine and Linux as a general purpose PC.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You have me reminiscing about every time I dove through every single option of the kernel's make config ncurses menu.

ghostofbox
Aug 17, 2014

Obfuscating Elucidator

Flipperwaldt posted:

TAL Noisemaker is also a pretty good synth and thanks to Radiapathy's link I now know that it has both a free vst and a linux native version. TAL stuff in general is pretty good.

I'll list you some more good free stuff I have in my vsti folder that you could try: FreeAlpha, Hahaha CS33v2, SQ8L, SuperWave P8 and FireBird. Particularly fond of that last one.
I'll give those a try. If I get a Bitwig Studio license I'll probably go on a Linux native VST spree.

renderful posted:

In my experience, you'll need to install a low latency kernel in order to get JACK to be stable and responsive. That's one of the main differences between Linux as an audio machine and Linux as a general purpose PC.
I've been running the lowlatency kernel (3.13.0-34-lowlatency via ubuntu) but I might need to push to the rt version for all I know.

sliderule posted:

You have me reminiscing about every time I dove through every single option of the kernel's make config ncurses menu.
I would need to be a lot better than I am to start building my own kernel. I'm only 2-3 years into Linux, and I haven't pushed very far.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
I haven't compiled a kernel in over a decade. Maybe I'll install Gentoo when I get home(pfffft, yeah right).

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I picked up the Arturia bundle and was all excited because it was a great deal. Turns out it looks like you can only install it on one computer unless you want to take the USB dongle route and that's a bit of a :smith: None of the other software I own requires a dongle and it's kind of annoying.

I also picked up that Don't Crack effects bundle and so far it's pretty neat. The only non-built-in effect I have is the freebie Eventide released a short while back so it's nice to have some options besides the stuff that's built into Renoise. For fifty dollars I'm not complaining - I have some nifty alternative and easy-to-use compressors and equalizers. I know nothing about EQing and compressing aside from "turn knobs until it sounds better" so it's nice to have something this basic and low-profile. I don't see it getting much use from people who already have a collection of effects already, however. For fifty dollars, I can definitely tell you I'm not complaining.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Aug 23, 2014

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
So Steam just launched a storefront in Japan and Ohmicide was briefly mispriced for ¥1249 ($12). The price has since been fixed, but some resellers are selling them near cost ($12-20 in TF2 keys). Even better, since Ohmicide is a VST it doesn't require Steam once installed.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Anarch posted:

So Steam just launched a storefront in Japan and Ohmicide was briefly mispriced for ¥1249 ($12). The price has since been fixed, but some resellers are selling them near cost ($12-20 in TF2 keys). Even better, since Ohmicide is a VST it doesn't require Steam once installed.

Can you elaborate on this? $12 to $20 in TF2 keys, I can't just pay cash? I don't understand Steam trading.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

RandomCheese posted:

Can you elaborate on this? $12 to $20 in TF2 keys, I can't just pay cash? I don't understand Steam trading.

Yeah, me neither and I'd buy it in a heartbeat for cash.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ok from what I've found so far these keys are tradeable items on steam (not Team Fortress 2 installation keys as I first assumed) and there are sellers accepting between 9 and 11 keys for a copy of ohmicide. On the steam marketplace they sell keys for $2.50 USD a pop, so that's $22.50 minimum, but there are a lot of other people selling keys for less than a couple of bucks, which does bring it down to $15 or so. This is the craziest poo poo, on this website http://steamcommunity.com/market/ there is a stockmarket-esque ticker showing quantities and values for keys and other items, updated every few seconds. My steam library is several dozen strong and I had no idea this was a thing.

http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Mann%20Co.%20Supply%20Crate%20Key

I bought Hornet Graffio the other day for $12 and it looks to serve a similar purpose to ohmicide so I might just stick with that for my multiband distortion, I am not sure if I want to dip my toes in the world of trading virtual items.

edit: gently caress it, I've done too much research into this to back out now. I have 9 non-existent keys sitting in my steam account waiting for some dude to reply to my offer. Strange times.

Gym Leader Barack fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 28, 2014

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Man that was a complex process.

To summarise:
- Figure out what the hell Anarch meant with his moon words.
- Find seller hocking ohmicide for keys ( http://steamcommunity.com/app/279280/tradingforum/ )
- Add funds to steam wallet ($25US)
- Buy 9 keys (got them direct through steam for $2.54 per unit. The price fluctuated every second and my purchase was a buy order from 4 different key sellers)
- Engage in trade with steam user from japan (made more difficult by browser issues, had to do it on a windows PC). Once working the trade interface was actually pretty neat.
- Add ohmicide from inventory to library.
- Download ohmicide on windows PC because steam version doesn't support apple.
- Get installation key from windows installer.
- Create account on ohmforce site, register ohmicide key to account.
- Download AU version.

This is not how I envisioned spending my evening, but hey, cheap plugin and the reinforced knowledge that the world is a far stranger place than I could ever imagine.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Haha, gently caress, I had some steambux from selling those dumb trading cards and didn't foresee Valve publishing Ohmicide, I'd actually USE that

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Sorry for the lack of info and delayed reply, as I've been really busy with work. Really wasn't sure if people would be into buying off Steam, but RandomCheese worked it out. The only complication that I can think of is that if you don't have a Steam account, they might temporarily lock your ability to trades. If that's the case, you can probably Paypal another Steam goon (trader or friend) to buy it and hold it in their inventory til you can trade. Amazing deal if you can get one, though.

Also, just checked one of the trading sites (Steamtrades.com): Hstty AKA Niko is selling Ohmicide for 6 TF2 keys(roughly $15). Don't know the person personally.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 29, 2014

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Anarch posted:

Sorry for the lack of info and delayed reply, as I've been really busy with work. Really wasn't sure if people would be into buying off Steam, but RandomCheese worked it out. The only complication that I can think of is that if you don't have a Steam account, they might temporarily lock your ability to trades. If that's the case, you can probably Paypal another Steam goon (trader or friend) to buy it and hold it in their inventory til you can trade. Amazing deal if you can get one, though.

Also, just checked one of the trading sites (Steamtrades.com): Hstty AKA Niko is selling Ohmicide for 6 TF2 keys(roughly $15). Don't know the person personally.
Thanks for the pointer to Niko, Anarch. I just set up a trade for six TF2 keys, easy-peasy, even with the time zone difference between Seattle and Matsudo, Chiba. Done and done!

Now to see how Steam handles installing VSTs...

Edit: So at least in this case, what Steam actually downloads and "installs" is an installer for Ohmicide (64-bit). When you double click that in your Steam library (or right click and pick "Launch App..."), it runs the installer, which gives you a chance to pick your VST folder. It is, however, already pre-registered in the installer with your Steam account name and a corresponding key code.

minidracula fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Aug 29, 2014

Auberginetuna
Dec 29, 2012

On my brunch break
Hey, did anyone here see the video that native instruments put up in regards to their new hardware controller? I did some digging,(AKA i did a google search) and it seems like it and Komplete 10 have been leaked in pictures from an online retailer in europe. Here are pics, incase you're wondering.

Do you guys think it's(the controller/komplete bundle) really worth the pricetag? Also, with those transport controls and the lights on the keys, it kind of looks like there's going to be a step sequencer.

Auberginetuna fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Aug 30, 2014

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Auberginetuna posted:

Hey, did anyone here see the video that native instruments put up in regards to their new hardware controller? I did some digging,(AKA i did a google search) and it seems like it and Komplete 10 have been leaked in pictures from an online retailer in europe. Here are pics, incase you're wondering.

Do you guys think it's(the controller/komplete bundle) really worth the pricetag? Also, with those transport controls and the lights on the keys, it kind of looks like there's going to be a step sequencer.

I saw the video and the keyboard looks more or less like I expected it to. I don't think it's worth the price tag, but I already own Reaktor and FM8, not to mention the Arturia V collection and the UVI Vintage Vault. If I could crossgrade for a reasonable price, maybe, since I wouldn't mind some of the effects and Absynth. The larger keyboard's a little bit of a disappointment though since it doesn't really add pads or faders; I'd rather pick up something like a Korg MicroKontrol. And going with touch strips for modulation is kind of cheap.

I'm just going to assume that there are people who are heavily invested in the NI system, and this product is probably for them depending on how it integrates with their software and other hardware, and maybe trying to appeal to people just getting into music production as a one-stop shop. I can wait; I have a controller I'm mostly satisfied with and a good collection of VSTs that give me the sound I want.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 30, 2014

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I really need to see what the features are on that keyboard, but knowing absolutely nothing about it it's in the price range of something like a Nektar Panorama so it'll need to be something really special for me to pick it up over something simpler, since I already have a Maschine for nice preset navigation/integration with the NI plugins.

I can't find a lot in the upgrade from Komplete 9 to 10 to be excited about, but, again, I don't know anything about it other than it seems like none of the big programs are getting updates. The few screens that are out of Polyplex and Kontour look kinda cool but god knows what they actually do.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah, I'm more interested in seeing if there are any updates coming to current software. I don't need three more pianos.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BKPR posted:

Yeah, I'm more interested in seeing if there are any updates coming to current software. I don't need three more pianos.

Yeah I'm a bit baffled by that choice. Komplete already has a really good selection of pianos, and I've got a half dozen others as well. That was pretty much the last thing on my list of stuff I needed more of.

I'm guessing K10U will have Session Horns Pro. I'd love to have that, but not to the extent that I'd upgrade just to get it.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

BKPR posted:

I am wondering if these new pianos are going to be e-Instuments products like the Session Horns and Session Strings deals were. If so, they'll likely have cool morphing and chording features, which is something none of NI's previous pianos have had.

Someone on GS found a German print magazine that had an article about the new keyboard. It has patch browsing built-in (like many were hoping for), a Fatar keybed, arp features, and something they're calling "smart play." The post with screenshot: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/10376495-post266.html

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't know why that page is listing Session Horns as a "new product" in 10 as it's already included in 9. So is Driver.

Also I may be missing something but where is the price for just Komplete 10 Ultimate Upgrade without the keyboard controller? The controller looks decent I guess but I already have a keyboard controller that works with all of the Komplete components well enough and has many of the same features.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 1, 2014

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Earwicker posted:

I don't know why that page is listing Session Horns as a "new product" in 10 as it's already included in 9. So is Driver.

Also I may be missing something but where is the price for just Komplete 10 Ultimate Upgrade without the keyboard controller? The controller looks decent I guess but I already have a keyboard controller that works with all of the Komplete components well enough and has many of the same features.
Session Horns will be new to the standard Komplete SKU; Komplete 9 didn't have it, but standard Komplete 10 will. Then 10 Ultimate will get the new Session Horns Pro.

I think the controllers look pretty good (considering the integration features, etc.), but still quite pricey.

breaks
May 12, 2001

If they put an actual high quality keybed in there instead of the garbage that's in most controllers then that may make the price feel a little better. Fatar makes something for every price point, so who knows at this stage. And I'm a bit skeptical that there are really that many people interested in high quality keybeds these days.

I really just want to know all the prices and whether they are going to put Molekular in K10U so I can decide whether to upgrade from K7 to K10U or just K10.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Anyone know of a free VST that sounds similar (but better quality, obviously) to the one in this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZMWszd5SRk

I've been looking around the net all day but can't seem to find anything that sounds right.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

cat doter posted:

Anyone know of a free VST that sounds similar (but better quality, obviously) to the one in this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZMWszd5SRk

I've been looking around the net all day but can't seem to find anything that sounds right.

You could try looking for 90's rompler/workstation samples, that's what it was probably originally done with.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Sorry, I'm stupid, I meant the organ specifically. I quite like how it sounds and I'd like to replicate it.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

cat doter posted:

Sorry, I'm stupid, I meant the organ specifically. I quite like how it sounds and I'd like to replicate it.

Well it all sounds like it came from the same box, just throw a crappy organ sample in to a sampler and go from there?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

cat doter posted:

[video]

Organized Trio isn't half bad.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I'm a bit baffled by that choice. Komplete already has a really good selection of pianos, and I've got a half dozen others as well. That was pretty much the last thing on my list of stuff I needed more of.
Well now we know why they added all those pianos to Komplete 10: They actually dropped their whole "Classic Pianos" line with this release.

I updated my Komplete Version Comparison worksheet with all the official K10/K10U info.

Additionally, I put together a Complete History of Komplete, with tons of Komplete trivia.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Radiapathy posted:

Well now we know why they added all those pianos to Komplete 10: They actually dropped their whole "Classic Pianos" line with this release.

That is good.. those pianos kind of sucked. I have the Uptown Grand from einstruments as an ableton pack and it's much better than any of the grand pianos in the Classics line. However my favorite piano lately is The Giant which is included in 9 and 10

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Having looked over what's on offer in K10U, I don't see myself upgrading until it's on sale, if then. The only sample libraries that really appeal are Action Strikes, Rise & Hit, and maybe Kinetic Metal. It doesn't help that their demo songs for all of their other stuff sound like themes from lovely TV shows from the early 90's. Molekular looks cool, but I don't yet see how it does things I can't do with Effectrix or The Mouth. Rounds might be neat too, but at present it's so light on information that I can't tell.

The new keyboards look rad as heck, but I'm pretty happy with my current setup. I'd really have to play one and see how they feel before I know whether I'm interested or not.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Radiapathy posted:

I never use them so I guess it's no big deal, though I'm curious how this works when you upgrade. If I go from 9 to 10 I'm not gonna lose those pianos am I?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

BKPR posted:

I never use them so I guess it's no big deal, though I'm curious how this works when you upgrade. If I go from 9 to 10 I'm not gonna lose those pianos am I?
Nope; the installers only add new stuff, they won't remove legacy products. NI just doesn't guarantee forward compatibility with the legacy stuff.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Stutter Edit is $79.20 at JRR Shop just in case anyone's into that sort of thing.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

FREEBIES!

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/kvrdc14-donations-closed---final-total-announced-27245

Check second place, that EQ+comp is fantastic. I love that guy's plugins! Still need to audition some of the amp sims (been busy as hell and not with audio stuff, hah).

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Is there a particularly good Midi controller with lots of knobs and a mid-sized keyboard out there? I wan't consider that as an alternative to hardware synths, not so much for cost reasons but to get the balance of hands on tweak-ability and features I want.

I'm currently looking at a few synths and I'd like to keep my options open with the free stuff that's out there, the Arturia deal going on right now, and the release of Komplete 10. I'm looking at The UltraNova, MiniNova, and Waldorf Pulse 2 syths. The first two are digital, the last analog, but they both have digital controls with a bit of function shifting and menu diving involved. It's also worth noting that the first two are MIDI controllers with a DAW plugin for designing patches. The waldorf has no keyboard, and I'd be using mycheap, lovely samson keyboard to control it until I get something better. I want the features they have but I think I'd miss the tweak-ability of analogs.

Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Agreed posted:

FREEBIES!

http://www.kvraudio.com/news/kvrdc14-donations-closed---final-total-announced-27245

Check second place, that EQ+comp is fantastic. I love that guy's plugins! Still need to audition some of the amp sims (been busy as hell and not with audio stuff, hah).

I used that meek 60's thing on a drum bus for a kinda BOC-ish song and it sounded great.

E: this one is from a year or two ago but I found out about it because of the developers entry this year: http://www.soft-amp.com/softamp-3od

Great single stage valve preamp emulation

field balm fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 7, 2014