Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I've been tempted to volunteer on one of my days off just to find out.

However, having been in the place once out of curiosity, I think the answer is that you do it by not actually doing any business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They're overthrowing the capitalist military-industrial-bacon complex by not selling anything and not paying anybody.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

They're overthrowing the capitalist military-industrial-bacon complex by not selling anything and not paying anybody.

If I ever change my forums name, it will be to Military-Industrial Bacon Complex.

a var of piss
Nov 16, 2013
Many places do it as a community project rather than as a for-profit business. Volunteer spaces primarily designed to help provide a space in the community where they can afford to eat and hang out. Many of the volunteers are made up of those people who would otherwise be unable to keep a job for the long term for whatever reason (eg addictions, mental health, physical health).

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

a var of piss posted:

Many places do it as a community project rather than as a for-profit business. Volunteer spaces primarily designed to help provide a space in the community where they can afford to eat and hang out. Many of the volunteers are made up of those people who would otherwise be unable to keep a job for the long term for whatever reason (eg addictions, mental health, physical health).

That's not really the vibe I'm getting from the website, though. It looks more like a place for well-to-do white people to play-work for funsies.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Tell me a little about restaurant supply stores?
Does your restaurant get everything delivered, or is someone taking regular trips to a store?

Context: I'm fooling around with starting a meat pie business on the side. The girlfriend is a chef, but she is having some foot surgery, and can't stand all day. I figure she can sit at a table and roll out pastry. My buddy has a pizza shop that only operates from like 10-10, so I can get in there in the morning and use his ovens to bake stuff. He has a pizza supplier, and a beverage company, who both deliver, but he buys a fair amount of his food from Restaurant Depot. He gave me his card so I could go buy some stuff.

I've never been in one of these places before, and I was shocked to see that it was geared towards restaurants that don't actually cook much; the vast majority was pre-made food and convenience items. The only decent selection they had was meats and cheeses. The spice selection was terrible; I do better at the Indian Market in Quincy.

And the prices weren't great? On things we could directly compare, the prices at Restaurant Depot were pretty much exactly the same as at CostCo or Marketbasket. Even on bulk items!

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Republicans posted:

That's not really the vibe I'm getting from the website, though. It looks more like a place for well-to-do white people to play-work for funsies.

I... What? What kitchen (outside of cooking at home) is 'for funsies'? Or is that what it is? Cook what you want as long as you cle... wait, what? Yeah, I can't even finish that because that's still just 'do it at home', essentially.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Squashy Nipples posted:

Tell me a little about restaurant supply stores?
Does your restaurant get everything delivered, or is someone taking regular trips to a store?

Context: I'm fooling around with starting a meat pie business on the side. The girlfriend is a chef, but she is having some foot surgery, and can't stand all day. I figure she can sit at a table and roll out pastry. My buddy has a pizza shop that only operates from like 10-10, so I can get in there in the morning and use his ovens to bake stuff. He has a pizza supplier, and a beverage company, who both deliver, but he buys a fair amount of his food from Restaurant Depot. He gave me his card so I could go buy some stuff.

I've never been in one of these places before, and I was shocked to see that it was geared towards restaurants that don't actually cook much; the vast majority was pre-made food and convenience items. The only decent selection they had was meats and cheeses. The spice selection was terrible; I do better at the Indian Market in Quincy.

And the prices weren't great? On things we could directly compare, the prices at Restaurant Depot were pretty much exactly the same as at CostCo or Marketbasket. Even on bulk items!

The Restaurant Depot I frequent is huge, well-stocked and overall has better or comparable prices to Cash & Carry and Costco, but it's also relatively new so maybe the one in your area is smaller in size/selection. Is yours also roughly the size of a Costco warehouse with a massive walk-in cooler/freezer section taking up about 1/3rd of the building?

As for delivery we limit that to a small handful of things we can't get around here or are competitively-priced to save us the hassle of lugging it ourselves. Weird how Sysco of all companies is the only one I've found that stocks bricks of fresh yeast.

Sir Spaniard posted:

I... What? What kitchen (outside of cooking at home) is 'for funsies'? Or is that what it is? Cook what you want as long as you cle... wait, what? Yeah, I can't even finish that because that's still just 'do it at home', essentially.

This is probably unfair speculation on my part but I imagine the lion's share of assholesvolunteers they get to work a couple hours for a snack are doing it because they find the idea of working in a kitchen to be a novelty.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Don't discount the "I'm a chef on the weekends" crowd. And don't forget to gently caress them straight in their stupid faces.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I hate my life! I want to die so loving bad! every single decision I've ever made in my entire life has been below average at best and I'm going to be like these loving lifers making a dollar over min wage well into their forties as they regale the new guy with all the stories of the chronic injuries and illnesses they've received from a lifetime of being the kitchen bitch of some owner who doesn't care if they live or die as long as someone shows up on time to make them some cash. Sorry to harsh everyone's mellow with that run on sentence but I definitely needed to get it out there in an overdramatic fashion and my significant other is tired of hearing it and my therapist is away for the long weekend! I will be okay, all of us will be! I've never worked in a place where people smoke IN the kitchen! The walk-in maybe, and outside, constantly, but gently caress! Show a slight amount of god damned respect for the people who patronize your establishment and allow you to pay for those cigarettes! Watching the head chef leave as early as he possibly can, and then watching the 2nd in command who has been there over a year struggle to turn on the deep fryer for twenty minutes! Twenty loving minutes! It's a deep fryer! I don't know very much about kitchens having only worked perhaps eight establishments in seven years, I am still a puppy yes, but all eight of them had deep fryers that turned on the exact same way! Finally lets me try and we're good to go, and by good to go I mean good to half-cook frozen loving french fries! Somehow this is more stressful than fine dining in a way I can't quite verbalize!

What the gently caress is wrong with my brain to pilot me into a life such as this?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Simoom posted:

I hate my life! I want to die so loving bad! every single decision I've ever made in my entire life has been below average at best and I'm going to be like these loving lifers making a dollar over min wage well into their forties as they regale the new guy with all the stories of the chronic injuries and illnesses they've received from a lifetime of being the kitchen bitch of some owner who doesn't care if they live or die as long as someone shows up on time to make them some cash. Sorry to harsh everyone's mellow with that run on sentence but I definitely needed to get it out there in an overdramatic fashion and my significant other is tired of hearing it and my therapist is away for the long weekend! I will be okay, all of us will be! I've never worked in a place where people smoke IN the kitchen! The walk-in maybe, and outside, constantly, but gently caress! Show a slight amount of god damned respect for the people who patronize your establishment and allow you to pay for those cigarettes! Watching the head chef leave as early as he possibly can, and then watching the 2nd in command who has been there over a year struggle to turn on the deep fryer for twenty minutes! Twenty loving minutes! It's a deep fryer! I don't know very much about kitchens having only worked perhaps eight establishments in seven years, I am still a puppy yes, but all eight of them had deep fryers that turned on the exact same way! Finally lets me try and we're good to go, and by good to go I mean good to half-cook frozen loving french fries! Somehow this is more stressful than fine dining in a way I can't quite verbalize!

What the gently caress is wrong with my brain to pilot me into a life such as this?

You need to adjust your attitude and/or quit that job and get hired in a serious kitchen. There is literally no reason for you to be so miserable. It sounds like you're making yourself crazy over the behavior of others, which is unnecessary. Also, please don't joke about suicide.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

Wroughtirony posted:

You need to adjust your attitude and/or quit that job and get hired in a serious kitchen. There is literally no reason for you to be so miserable. It sounds like you're making yourself crazy over the behavior of others, which is unnecessary. Also, please don't joke about suicide.

You're definitely correct, I was venting and already have a couple interviews! I do need money however which is really the main issue in this life I lead it does seem. I also apologize for joking about suicide- having tried it a small number of times in youth as well as losing a close friend to it I often think well-I-can-say-that-nobody-will-worry-cuz-it-dont-faze-me, but not everyone has the same experiences and reactions and it is most certainly unfair to subject others to that simply because I'm okay with it- You're a good person and thanks for the reminder!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Woo boy. One of the new servers is a roid rhino and a coke fiend. Dude has already thrown 3 really unpleasant temper tantrums. Other servers are getting violent and on edge too, everyone is really stressed and nasty, and two people have been fired today already. I need to see if my transfer idea can work soon and start packing up to leave, this place is turning into bad news. Even the kitchen is in total disrepair, I've never seen food take so long to go out. Everyone is new, nobody is experienced, nobody is held accountable; this is a fuckin' RIDE right here folks. We can't even get laser printers. I swear corporate just keeps it like this on purpose to serve as a hellhole to send their disgraced managers to so they can die.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
sounds like you're in a failing franchise location: get the gently caress outta there man

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

JawKnee posted:

sounds like you're in a failing franchise location: get the gently caress outta there man

That I am. This place as I've said plenty of times before is the WORST in the entire franchise, out of hundreds of stores. Worse performing, service, reviews, everything. We have so many steps of service it's unbelievable, and the kitchen is drowning in a tiny space barely adequate for the demand. I'm only staying so I can transfer to another store in the chain on the west coast in the next few months, IF they even have a transfer, which is what I'm looking into this week; that way I can slide right into a job at a new place with little change and keep my income going until I find a better job or position. At least I'll be iron-solid for anywhere else I work, it'll seem easy compared to this shitfest.

Mostly I miss the hell out of one of the head chefs who had to go open another store in New York for a month.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Simoom posted:

You're definitely correct, I was venting and already have a couple interviews! I do need money however which is really the main issue in this life I lead it does seem. I also apologize for joking about suicide- having tried it a small number of times in youth as well as losing a close friend to it I often think well-I-can-say-that-nobody-will-worry-cuz-it-dont-faze-me, but not everyone has the same experiences and reactions and it is most certainly unfair to subject others to that simply because I'm okay with it- You're a good person and thanks for the reminder!

Stop caring until you either get fired or get a new job. If the former, get unemployment and find something under the table. If the latter, don't delay a start date for notice any longer than necessary - even if it means 24 hour notice. Normally I'd say don't burn any bridges, but if a place is making you that miserable, it doesn't really matter - you don't want to go back to them anyway. If you ever have to put them on an application/resume for experience in the future, just make up a name and put down the restaurant's main number. Chances are whoever picks up won't even know that whoever you're writing about doesn't exist, much less never worked there.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Stop caring until you either get fired or get a new job. If the former, get unemployment and find something under the table. If the latter, don't delay a start date for notice any longer than necessary - even if it means 24 hour notice. Normally I'd say don't burn any bridges, but if a place is making you that miserable, it doesn't really matter - you don't want to go back to them anyway. If you ever have to put them on an application/resume for experience in the future, just make up a name and put down the restaurant's main number. Chances are whoever picks up won't even know that whoever you're writing about doesn't exist, much less never worked there.

I would not normally react so negatively to such a situation of my own making but I really feel sort of conned this time. The interview was pretty professional and the place looked really nice on the outside. I've only been there for less than a week so it's not like I plan to stay and get super bitchy while doing nothing about it! As for my overdramatic response I grant that it is overdramatic but I kind of call out the whole fix-your-attitude-you're-getting-mad-over-other-peoples-actions stuff cuz like I don't know. It's not like I'm just sitting here thinking to myself that I'm superior to all these Dumb Idiot Bad Guys, it's more the feeling that a place that serves food should have a level of respect for its customers and I don't see it here at all and it just makes me feel like poo poo. The cooks are all great guys but have not been trained or told anything by management so I don't think less of them. Eh in the end I'm sure we've all worked at places that we've felt are smacking the customer with a lovely product and it just feels plain bad to be a part of that! But money is a necessity to do things I enjoy like sleep indoors!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

You've been there less than a week and you're already at this level of stress? I understand that you probably walked into hell, from what you've described, but honestly, this is probably not the right industry for you in the long run. There will be issues in EVERY kitchen you ever see - whether it's others cooks loving off, equipment going unmaintained, chefs/managers playing favorites, food going out that should be thrown away - at some point you just have to roll with it. Every. Single. Kitchen. has issues. Ask WroughtIrony, that one is a glutton for punishment and seems to be drawn to troubled environments.

If this comes off as harsh, I'm sorry. I don't know your background, you might be a rockstar with 10 years experience on the line and in that case I'm completely wrong - but getting this stressed about work after less than a week is unhealthy, and indicative of how well you'll survive the service industry. And I say that as someone who got out years ago (though I was on the bar side, not the food side - better money, less stress, and everyone gets drunk so it's cool).

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Seven years, mostly in like little diners though where I was oddly okay paid and some front of house which was like heaven. Paid enough to be comfortable for a single dude with no car or kids or pets I suppose. Spent this year trying fine dining and catering and stuff out and yeah BIG MISTAKE this is a poo poo world I plan on getting the gently caress out of but I cannot return to school until January. This is the worst place I've ever seen though and I've seen some pretty crummy diners and poo poo but MAN this is another level this is just dog crap! Don't worry about making presumptions or anything I am not about to get hurt feelings on a forum (not over non video game or anime related discussions anyways!) Thanks guys!

e: i should also specify i am not saying i am a rock star line guy of seven years just a line guy of seven years and really maybe 3/4ths of a line guy on a good day at a -real- place but chefs have always said I am great to be around even if I suck a big dick :) I wish I was paraphrasing there ugh

Simoom fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 1, 2014

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

So go do FoH if you think that's heaven - those jobs are easier to get than kitchen jobs, by a mile. Doesn't even need to be fine dining, just find a place that's busy. It doesn't matter if you're working at Bubba's Beer and Turkey Grease if you're pulling home enough to pay the bills and make rent. Even better about FoH is they tend to be more flexible on hours. There is no shame in FoH, I was a bartender and bar manager for years and loved it (my liver wasn't as happy), if that's a better fit then do it.

Take all that with a grain of salt - I'm stuck in a dead end job myself right now, and while paid well, I really need to get out...it's just going to cost me a lot to do it.

Edit: I know the posters in this thread are mostly BoH, and I fully respect that. But both sides of it are still industry, and there's no shame in that, though it seems like a lot of folks on both sides of the table like to complain about the other. If anyone has an experience to share about transitioning from cook to FoH or reverse, now would probably be a good time to share. I never worked BoH unless you count management, so I can't really contribute to that discussion.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 1, 2014

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Thanks for calling me on my attitude y'all. I do in fact have a lovely attitude towards the one job, but to be fair that post was four years' worth of poo poo boiling out. It's poo poo and I need to get out and get over it until I do.

My FoH job on the other hand I love. Hospitality is hospitality but holy poo poo it's such a strange wonderful new thing to be treated with respect by coworkers and legitimately enjoy guest interaction. I can actually take pride in doing a good job and not feeling like it's a waste of effort. The pay really isn't bad either.

Something I've been thinking over the past few weeks is that FoH really is easier and better. On the one hand BoH has that guaranteed hourly rate, but you can still get cut if the shift is slow and whether you're doing 500 or 2000 an hour you're still getting the same money. With FoH, especially the way my place works, you have a bit of a paycheck and you get paid more for working harder and being busier. I think not being covered in grease and burns alone makes it flat out better.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
I work as FoH as a hostess and occasional cashier where I get an hourly rate and admittedly have it super easy. The worst that really ever happens to me is that we get overloaded during a lunch shift and I help out with bussing, which I don't mind because otherwise I'm just standing there. In exchange, if I'm the only host on stand because the only other two hosts in the restaurant are both managers and are gone (though that's probably only a thing at my place), the servers will help me out. I don't make as much as a server might, but at least I have a guaranteed amount week-to-week.

I love reading this thread so I can see what my coworkers go through, but I know I seriously lucked out since this is only my second restaurant job.

On the other hand, the horror stories I have about my first restaurant job are also nothing quite so bad as Black August's. Just owner/managers that were immigrants who spoke no English, so my sister and I, despite being servers on shift that day, were brought along to business meetings to help translate a deal with a supplier, or to deliver the news from the landlord that the place was 3 months behind on rent. :smugjones: We of course never got paid extra for this. I'd also get pulled aside in the middle of working to tutor the manager in English pronunciation, and that is with food or drinks on a tray in my hand. Somehow the place is still chugging along even after we both quit.

Kimitsu fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 1, 2014

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vorenus posted:

Something I've been thinking over the past few weeks is that FoH really is easier and better. On the one hand BoH has that guaranteed hourly rate, but you can still get cut if the shift is slow and whether you're doing 500 or 2000 an hour you're still getting the same money. With FoH, especially the way my place works, you have a bit of a paycheck and you get paid more for working harder and being busier. I think not being covered in grease and burns alone makes it flat out better.

The only, and I literally mean the ONLY two reasons to ever work BOH are:

1) It's the only thing you can do, because you're a convicted felon and have a drug problem and are too dumb to do anything else and hate yourself and can't work a job where every other word out of your mouth isn't "gently caress".
or 2) You love what you do. You get an immeasurable sense of satisfaction from making food and having people enjoy your work, you love the rush of a busy dinner and running around like an asshat making sure your prep is done before it. You're still a broken human being and know that you'd be better off doing anything (ANYTHING) else but no other job quite gets that itch for you, you just love the industry.

If anyone is ever thinking about working BOH long-term and neither of these apply to you, don't loving do it. You will be happier and healthier doing any other job in the world, and you'll get paid better for it, to boot. I'm a complete #2. I'm not happy doing anything else. I've worked FOH, I've worked desk jobs, I've worked field jobs, I'm like three classes short of an engineering degree, and I left all of it to make food for 1/3 of the pay I got as a student because I just love it so loving much. The reason that you think FOH is easier and better, is because it absolutely is. Now, not to say that most FOH jobs are easy (some are, but so are some BOH jobs) but in the vast majority of them you're compensated for your skill level in a much better way, you work better hours, and you can still have some semblance of a life outside of work. I used to bartend at a restaurant I worked at (started in the kitchen, they were really big on cross-training management) and used to pull in more money in a couple 6-hour Friday/Saturday shifts than I would in an entire 50+ hour week in the kitchen. I didn't mind doing it, but I still went back to the kitchen as soon as I possibly could, because that's where I really wanted to be. If that poo poo doesn't apply to you, consider yourself lucky and keep that FOH gig where you can either make a bunch of money to pay for what you really want to do, or you can make the FOH thing a career but still have your knees and maybe some friends/family that don't work on the same line you do.

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 1, 2014

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Well this is it. First day cleaning out the kitchen of the old stuff and moving my stuff in. I have a 2 day turn around and then it gets real. Service starts on Wednesday.

Time to bust my rear end in the kitchen again. Although I did retain the best cook they had to still work for me, so it's a bit easier. I won't make as much money as if I did it all myself but it's not that big of a deal and I would prefer to make less to start and have a solid guy who seems to really be excited about the direction I am planning for the restaurant.

I have 6 months to get this thing running smoothly before the truck needs to get off the ground so I can use this place as the training ground and commissary for the food truck.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Ah Christ. Now corporate is investigating us, again, and someone got fired for stealing poo poo from a customer. Cops came in and everything. And last night the kitchen also crashed hard, HARD; we had an hour+ lead ticket time and I have no blessed idea how my tables didn't walk out, or actually tip me in the 15%-20% range. I think everyone just sort of collectively settled, customers and workers, on being miserable and helpless. It was a surreal feeling.

They had 10 servers on for labor day this morning. I made $20 in 4 hours. I'm due back in an hour.

I have made a critical and possibly fatal error in not bringing along any form of narcotics to deal with the next 10 hours.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
You can get high on nutmeg!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Simoom posted:

We have none.

I Have No Nutmeg And I Must Serve.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Black August posted:

We have none.

I Have No Nutmeg And I Must Serve.

This kinda thing might be verboten in the thread, ignore me if it is, but might you happen to work at a chain that is very serious about a certain type of cat?

I traded shifts to help out another backwaiter and picked this morning thinking it would be an easy shift and forgetting OH HEY it's a holiday. Got my butt kicked a wee bit, but the thing is the kitchen crew has a lot of weak links so despite not being at the top of my game the only time I had trouble was when they would sell me on two or three tables at once. Or when my radio cord caught on a soup ladle and I ended up with 20oz of hot soup down the side of my thigh.

Edit: In case the above part about the kitchen sounds arrogant, it's accurate. The KM is incredibly skilled and efficient, if a bit irritable, but holy poo poo I have never seen so many misfires on a line. Then again I can't say I've never taken food to the wrong table or failed to catch an error as an outside expo. Point is the issues on their end are giving me a lot more time and slack in adjusting to learning everything.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 1, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Labour Day breakfast service kicks rear end. Me and 2 other vets decided not to bring our on-call in and made bank

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I think I may be broken. Working the holiday overnight for over 30 an hour and missing baking.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

So, uh, context for this, I've been casually into charcuterie, butchery and cheese making stuff for a while now. I'm in Washington state.
I've got some friends that have a fairly rapidly expanding food business footprint, they currently have an excellent wood fired bakery that was initially commercial only, but has gotten so popular they're running more and more regular service nights, which is awesome. They're now in the process of opening up a dedicated restaurant.

They, and their head chef, are very interested in doing house cheese, charcuterie and butchery, if it can be done in any sane way from a regulatory standpoint. They're still pretty early in the process and have made some initial inquiries, but it's something that'll need to get nailed down.

Does anyone have any pointers on doing house made stuff for sale only in house - no retail sales or wholesale - in WA? I definitely know in some states it would be such a nightmare that it'd be impossible to do, but WA is pretty liberal with food regulation, it seems like.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
You can't do cheese, not as a startup. I've done a whopping 2 cheeses and the HAACP involved loving sucked and I will never do it again. Charcuterie is much easier.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Cool, ok. I imagine that make and serve stuff like farmer's cheeses, mozzarella, etc are more likely to be cool than camembert or something?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Simoom posted:

I have a friend who just grated a whole nutmeg into a cup of boiling water and then drank it. He was hallucinating and vomiting for like 2 days. I don't recommend recreational nutmeg.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

After spending 4 hours in a pizza shop baking pies, I have even more respect for you folks who work in kitchens. Holy poo poo, I could never do that ever day. I literally can't take the heat; once all the ovens are on, the flatop is going, and the fryolator is bubbling, the heat is loving unbearable.

If I had a kitchen job, I'd spend half the shift hiding in the walk in freezer.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Republicans posted:

The Restaurant Depot I frequent is huge, well-stocked and overall has better or comparable prices to Cash & Carry and Costco, but it's also relatively new so maybe the one in your area is smaller in size/selection. Is yours also roughly the size of a Costco warehouse with a massive walk-in cooler/freezer section taking up about 1/3rd of the building?

I've been back a few times now, so I know the layout better. It's a brand new one, laid out exactly as you described. Again, good selections of meat and cheese, but there were a few things I was expecting to find and didn't. I guess I just wasn't expecting such a strong emphasis on take out supplies, which take up about half of the building.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Vorenus posted:

This kinda thing might be verboten in the thread, ignore me if it is, but might you happen to work at a chain that is very serious about a certain type of cat?

Is this the P.F. Chang's waving lucky cat thing? I worked everywhere on a P.F. Chang's line over the course of 2 years and change. I think if we ever had a lead ticket time of over 30 minutes our outside expo would have literally had a stroke and fallen into the rice.

I'm not really sure how you could even get that far into the weeds considering the average cook time for every item on the menu that isn't the duck or some grilled thing is between 2 and 8 minutes.

Unless this is another chain entirely, in that case pardon me! :)

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
My first 13 hour day in years! And I have to go back in a few hours to get the briskest out of the smokers!

I love kitchens.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Reiz posted:

Unless this is another chain entirely, in that case pardon me! :)

It is in fact a certain cat chain. And we are, objectively, as defined by corporate, the worst store in the entire chain. I have no idea why the kitchen crashes so often, besides the fact they don't have enough people on the line, and half of them are new or from another store.

Today weirdly enough everything went right and well. I was genuinely disquieted by this. Hostess seated tables in an orderly and sensibly timed manner. Backwaiters didn't gently caress anything up. Managers were around but stayed the gently caress out of the way. Side work got done. Bartender had drinks ready when ordered. Food was made timely by the kitchen. Everyone tipped well and was cordial and purchased more than a glass of water and a single app. I was cut at a reasonable time and got out at a reasonable time in a good mood with good money for the hours worked. I wasn't bored to death or overwhelmed but was consistently busy and focused.

This was the first non-disaster shift I've had in months. I'll remember it like a good dream.

Weirdly nobody cares about the cat here. It just rots in a corner. Instead it's all about the stupid horses that dozens of drunk fucks climb up and fall off of and die or shatter their bodies every few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

My biggest problem at The Cat Chain, as a wok cook, was lovely sous chefs trying to "inside expo" when in reality they only existed to take plates from drahma station and give them to me in the proper order. Ideally, they would also make sure the drahma cook wasn't handing me the wrong poo poo, but that was apparently optional. 99% of the time they hosed this up somehow so we would sell like 3-4 tables at the same time after 8 minutes, instead of one 1 table every 2 minutes like adults working in a real rear end kitchen.

I was pretty confused when I started as a pantry cook and they told me about some pantry cook in Raleigh that had been working pantry for like 14 years or whatever. I said that sounds lame - I wanted to be a wok cook, turns out that dude was absolutely right and being a wok cook is horrible bullshit. Pantry is the chillest loving station all you do is grill poo poo and fry dumplings.

I can see it being a consistent issue if you have lovely BoH "leadership". My store in particular seemed to promote to sous based on wok ability so every 6 months or so we'd take our best wok cook and give him a cheap chef coat and watch him stand around with his dick in his hand for 6 hours while he ran the line into the ground by giving the newly promoted wok cook 7 fried rices for 5 different tickets and expecting it to just work out.

It's pretty loving simple, really - you got 4 cooks, 8 woks, and if you have decent drahma cooks everything is already organized for you. Make the poo poo in the order it comes in, combine like items if possible, sell whole tickets instead of dropping 6 tables on the runners at the same time. Apparently some people can't figure this poo poo out - we got by because our outside expos were loving fantastic and we generally had enough decent wok cooks to run at 3/4ths strength until the sous chef finished his "training" and then went to gently caress up another store.

Sounds like you got all of our sous chefs, to be honest.

• Locked thread