Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I hate Devin Wilson because every time I see his name I'm reminded of both Steven Wilson and Damian Wilson and I don't want anything good associated with this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bitter Beard posted:

LoL I don't know why I get such laughter out of people trying to walk back their comments so quickly now that people started attacking the advertisers of the websites that mocked them. I'm curious if some of these idiotic websites will actually survive this?

Linking these because some people don't like to see the images by default.

I'm sowwy, soo soo sowwy
http://i.imgur.com/4Gd1IW1.jpg

now we're all cordial
http://i.imgur.com/mznqQlk.png
If only it were possible to actually kill all gamers rather than passive-agressively snark about it on twitter

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Skunny Wundy posted:

We're all Zoe Quinn.

same

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BottledBodhisvata posted:

When did problematic become such a buzzword? Like, I know he's not talking about anything related to gameplay when he uses this word. It's so myopic and vague and says nothing but implies that whatever his sensitivities are, they need to be catered to and to fail to do so is an actual problem that warrants solving. But when the gently caress did the word get hijacked in such a way?
I'd love to know the history of that one. Did problematic ever have a good use or definition, besides the mundane one of "a thing that caused a problem" like a flat tire or whatever? Maybe it was a way to de-personalize some of the situations, like the glass ceiling being problematic even if nobody was directly, consciously discriminating against women? If so, I haven't seen it used like that ever.

Privilege is at least a useful concept, if you don't turn it into a score-keeping system or a weapon to quash opponents. But problematic is just a weasel word these days. Your games / words / thoughts are problematic. The only response to that is to either knuckle under or say gently caress you. If you try to go with a middle ground of "sorry you find this problematic but I'm not changing my behavior" just least to accusations of misogyny or racism or whatever wrong-think is offending them.

Aidopunko
Oct 12, 2012

Skunny Wundy posted:

We're all Zoe Quinn.

hosed up if true

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

wait did the guy who was talkin about saints row call it "problematic" in comparison to gta lmao

bring back GJAIF

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Al Borland posted:

Man poison is frickin great. I dunno if you saw Suave VS RF but that match was down to the wire.

Did you see the trolling at SJ this weekend there was a guy who didnt know poison's qcb+k is a throw and just kept eating it.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Paladinus posted:

I hate Devin Wilson because every time I see his name I'm reminded of both Steven Wilson and Damian Wilson and I don't want anything good associated with this thread.

sorry but guitar music by pasty-rear end nerds is loving terrible too

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

AkumaHokoru posted:

Did you see the trolling at SJ this weekend there was a guy who didnt know poison's qcb+k is a throw and just kept eating it.

Nah I missed that I just watched Shadowloo Showdown.

The best thing there was watching all the free aussies get bodied so bad. Lol well that and lafit playing c Viper and not knowing how to handle elena. He was so scared and confused. It was amazing. GamerBee just crushed him and he almost thought of switching characters but didn't!

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
Thats kinda why I didnt watch SS until finals day I figured most of them would get vaporized in no time up till around top 8.

As for elena bodying people that happened at summerjam too East coast doesnt have any elenas so chris g walked through qualifing pools with her due to inexperience.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Klyith posted:

Did problematic ever have a good use

It's a word used exclusively when you want to call something racist or sexist but are self aware enough to know that you'll get laughed at for it.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

btw, i still get all of my news from uk resistance, and i cpouldnt be happier about the state of the gameindustry.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

AkumaHokoru posted:

Thats kinda why I didnt watch SS until finals day I figured most of them would get vaporized in no time up till around top 8.

As for elena bodying people that happened at summerjam too East coast doesnt have any elenas so chris g walked through qualifing pools with her due to inexperience.

The little sailor moon ultra she has too is just loving hilarious. That mini heal everyone at SS was just like "what is going on? I DO NOT UNDERSTAND!"

To my shock there wasn't a single rose at the tournie especially after EVO I expected to see a few.

Also I'm so proud of everyone on my FB page. I just took a look and not a single post from anyone who plays games about this zoe bullshit. I seriously expected someone to do it. I was dreading it, but not a single person. These are the same people who loving linked ice bucket challenges left and right.

I just realized at the same time this started I haven't seen any ice bucket challenges SINCE.

Perhaps instead of hating Zoe Quinn we should be thanking her for taking idiot's minds off dumping ice water on their heads and feeling smug and hating her instead.

Zoe Quinn deserves a medal.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Skunny Wundy posted:

We're all Zoe Quinn.

No, actually some of us watch what we eat and exercise regularly.

Aidopunko
Oct 12, 2012

davecrazy posted:

I only need 1 minivan to transport all the people I've had sex with.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

davecrazy posted:

I also wash my hair occasionally.

Skunny Wundy
Jul 9, 2012

davecrazy posted:

dork

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Klyith posted:

I'd love to know the history of that one. Did problematic ever have a good use or definition, besides the mundane one of "a thing that caused a problem" like a flat tire or whatever? Maybe it was a way to de-personalize some of the situations, like the glass ceiling being problematic even if nobody was directly, consciously discriminating against women? If so, I haven't seen it used like that ever.

Privilege is at least a useful concept, if you don't turn it into a score-keeping system or a weapon to quash opponents. But problematic is just a weasel word these days. Your games / words / thoughts are problematic. The only response to that is to either knuckle under or say gently caress you. If you try to go with a middle ground of "sorry you find this problematic but I'm not changing my behavior" just least to accusations of misogyny or racism or whatever wrong-think is offending them.

it means 'a thing people like us don't like' while suggesting that if you're not like us you're maybe part of the problem.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

sinking belle posted:

wait did the guy who was talkin about saints row call it "problematic" in comparison to gta lmao

bring back GJAIF

It was the dildo and/or zombie and also possibly the sexualisation of shaundi

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sebmojo posted:

it means 'a thing people like us don't like' while suggesting that if you're not like us you're maybe part of the problem.

Yeah and privilege used to mean something besides the score in the oppression olympics.

sorry I take SJWs just seriously enough to to dig thru their verbiage and bullshit for the actual good bits. It is a movement that started from good origins even if it went malignant on the internet

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

I also wash my hair occasionally.

never jammed a big rear end needle full of Steam codes into my hand.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
The current usage of 'privilege' to mean 'advantaged' makes the term less useful. The whole point of the term is that it is an advantage hidden to those outside of the privileged group, so you could actually fight privilege simply by exposing it. It doesn't apply to a lot of situations it is used now. The fact that normal people can use air travel and super fats cannot is a surprise to no one, so trying to expose it as a privilege is pointless.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

davecrazy posted:

Ha! Gayyyy

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf

I have a lot of issues with Hillary Clinton supporting Isreal and backing warmongering us policies but apparently I'm just a sexist racist homophobe

woops my bad

Also I have a family member who wants to wipe out all paletinians in the gaza strip but I'm just a sexist, drat

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Umm, yeah I do. :ironicat:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Look at dis hysterical broad.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

coleman francis posted:

I have a lot of issues with Hillary Clinton supporting Isreal and backing warmongering us policies but apparently I'm just a sexist racist homophobe

woops my bad

Also I have a family member who wants to wipe out all paletinians in the gaza strip but I'm just a sexist, drat

Surely, a person with a retarded Sonic on their avatar is absolutely serious.

Actually, I don't know at this point.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Problematic isn't some kind of new buzzword you're just being oversensitive to its presence in whatever you're reading.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
I kinda like the word problematic tbh

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

coleman francis posted:

woops my bad

Women's first act as voters was to ban alcohol. Now their first act as tweeters is to ban fun. It didn't work the first time idiots smugglers will just import fun from Canada.

Perfect example of why women shouldn't be allowed to tweet. They can't handle the responsibility!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Captain Candiru posted:

Problematic isn't some kind of new buzzword you're just being oversensitive to its presence in whatever you're reading.

Problematic is my trigger word.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Problematic is my safe word.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax
oh no IGN don't do it

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/02/hundreds-of-developers-are-fed-up-with-the-hate

oh no!

OH NO

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
It's pretty simple: First you ban hate speech, then you label disagreement as hate.

Oh wait, I got that backwards, they already did the second part.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Al Borland posted:

Also I'm so proud of everyone on my FB page. I just took a look and not a single post from anyone who plays games about this zoe bullshit. I seriously expected someone to do it. I was dreading it, but not a single person. These are the same people who loving linked ice bucket challenges left and right.

Now that you mention it, I'm a bit surprised none of this has popped on my FB as well because I do have some heavy gameplaying people on there who have to have some awareness of this. Even the one person who's a very outspoken feminist who never hesitates to remind people that she went to an all women's college that's 'the fount of modern feminism' as well as did her undergrad paper on the History of Feminism so no one else's thoughts and opinions on feminism are as relevant as hers while rarely if ever mentioning serious issues like the Hobby Lobby thing but wails about the nerdly end of things like new team on the Wonder Woman comics as setting back feminism for decades because they weren't crazy about applying the term because of the current connotations has been absolutely silent on this when I would've wagered money on her saying something.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Sarkeesian has become a cancer infecting everything in sight. Her bland, slightly smug face staring out at me in thumbnails and images that she took, promotion that she took, haunts me.

I can't escape. We can't escape she's taken control she's takenOVErMYMiND

and let me tell ya, I feel great. Have you checked your privilege today guys? Boy howdy did I! Shucks, why doesn't Princess Peach wear overalls too, instead of a dress, like some kind of Barbie Doll? Y'know, I've been thinking, games really aren't about having fun--fun's a poisonous priority, what we really need are games that explore socio-ecomonimic differences between genders, and feature self-empowered princesses who destroy their own monarchies and establish democratic states in largely bloodless fashions. The only ones hurt are those MEN those FILTHY loving MEN

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go smash my penis--better known as a Patriarchy Rape Machine--with a blunt stone. Seeya!

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Where is the game jam for guys who have ideas but don't know how to make games? I want to make a game about genderless grey blobs but I don't know how to code.

Meg From Family Guy
Feb 4, 2012
The one person who has mentioned this in all of my facebook friends is some mammalucco who writes stupid poo poo for buzzfeed and goes to VidCon

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I just made an excel macro here, who do I have to suck dick, and how many dicks do I need to suck to get it in Office 2015?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

M_Sinistrari posted:

Now that you mention it, I'm a bit surprised none of this has popped on my FB as well because I do have some heavy gameplaying people on there who have to have some awareness of this. Even the one person who's a very outspoken feminist who never hesitates to remind people that she went to an all women's college that's 'the fount of modern feminism' as well as did her undergrad paper on the History of Feminism so no one else's thoughts and opinions on feminism are as relevant as hers while rarely if ever mentioning serious issues like the Hobby Lobby thing but wails about the nerdly end of things like new team on the Wonder Woman comics as setting back feminism for decades because they weren't crazy about applying the term because of the current connotations has been absolutely silent on this when I would've wagered money on her saying something.

Yeah its a fuckin crazy assed world man. I have many very opinionated friends on games n poo poo and not a fuckin peep on either side.

• Locked thread