Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Siliconera: Square Enix Want To Bring Dragon Quest VII For 3DS To The West, But Aren’t Sure If It’ll Sell Enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Azubah posted:

I was kinda bummed that it didn't look like you could be any heroes from previous games until I saw some cast for 4 in there. Hopefully the they're playable.

It's a Musou game, they tend to have massive rosters. They had to invent characters for Hyrule Warriors.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

DQ VIII is one of my all time favs, hope they do a full-on single player DQ RPG on say PS4. Heroes could be some fun, hopefully it's not just a re-skinned Dynasty Warriors game. It doesn't have "Warriors" in the title anyway. Though Dragon Warrior Warriors would be a good title...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This is much more hopeful than I expected from the title. The fact that they're aware there is demand to begin with I wouldn't have expected before clicking. I guess I should pester them!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

They could always just sell it on their website if they're iffy about it selling in real stores.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Azubah posted:

They could always just sell it on their website if they're iffy about it selling in real stores.

What about that article gave off that they're feeling iffy about selling it in brick-and-mortar stores? It's all about is it profitable enough to justify re-translating it and being only accessible off their website would only hurt that.

Talen_Soti
Mar 30, 2010

How big would it be on the Eshop? I'd be down to buy it and a new SD card if it were to come out here.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

People always make mention of how massive VII's script is. How much more expensive could it be, compared to Bravely Default, which even had Voice Actors, an expense most Dragon Quest games don't have to worry about.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Talen_Soti posted:

How big would it be on the Eshop? I'd be down to buy it and a new SD card if it were to come out here.

3DS cards average 2 GB. I don't know offhand if VII is a 4 GB cart.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

3DS cards average 2 GB. I don't know offhand if VII is a 4 GB cart.

If it's anywhere near as long and huge as the PSX version, it jolly well could be. I don't have much on my included SD card, though, so I might be able to hold it as is. If not, well, I'm with Talen_Soti in that I would buy a new card for it... you can get an 8 GB SD Card these days for much less than 10 dollars/pounds/euros quite easily. I just bought a 4 GB card for my GPS, and the shipping cost would have been more than the actual card had I not had Prime.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fancy Hat! posted:

People always make mention of how massive VII's script is. How much more expensive could it be, compared to Bravely Default, which even had Voice Actors, an expense most Dragon Quest games don't have to worry about.

Nintendo published Bravely Default.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

This PS4 is gorgeous and I want it so much.
PS4's are region locked right? If they were region free I would probably, actually, purchase this one.

This is just kind of sad, I thought after 9 did so well, and the DS remakes seemed to atleast do passably, that SQEX would at least say "We'll probably break even on this at least, so why not?"

I just wish that they weren't so averse to digital-only on consoles/handhelds. They could just put it on the eShop only to cut down some production costs. It worked for Capcom with Ace Attorney 5... but I doubt they'd do that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SereneCrimson posted:

PS4's are region locked right? If they were region free I would probably, actually, purchase this one.

Nope, they're not region locked.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know if they recouped the costs of making DQX? I know it didn't bomb initially like FFXIV but it definitely underperformed.

Square Enix seems overly cautious these days and I think it's because properties like Final Fantasy, which usually print money, aren't performing like they expect them to even in Japan. The Dragon Quest games, remakes and new ones, perform very poorly in the West under good conditions relative to Dragon Quest sales in Japan. I think that's one of the big reasons we're not seeing the Dragon Quest Monsters and DQVII games in the West. Square Enix is probably putting all its money on Final Fantasy because it's known to succeed in the West even though it's declining like it is in Japan.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
DQ10 underperformed relative to the sales of DQ9 but it did okay for an MMO and it has a respectable subscriber base even now, it's definitely not a flop.

Anyway, it sounds like there might still be hope for Rocket Slime?
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/09/01/square-enix-will-consider-localizing-dragon-quest-rocket-slime-games/

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Man. I could not possibly care less. DQM, at least, or don't waste your money and time :(

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Man. I could not possibly care less. DQM, at least, or don't waste your money and time :(

Rocket Slime was a ton of fun and I'd like to see another, instead of some pokemon ripoff. gently caress your pokemans :argh:

But really we will never see either, or 3DS's DQ7, or anything else ever again :negative:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Rocket Slime is not a DQ game and in my eyes, it never will be. Cute diversion but what we really want is a legit DQ game.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
Okay, so I've been interested in getting into DQ, and it seems like the four DS ones are the best place to start. There's a Gamestop about half an hour from where I am that has 4 for 15.00, and one that's a 20-minute walk away with 6 for :20bux:, so I can get both of those for a completely reasonable amount. The problem is going to be tracking down 5. There aren't any Gamestops nearby with a copy, and both Amazon and Ebay are selling it for disgusting prices. Does anyone know of a good way to get DQ5 for anything under 30.00?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

There's a slime-themed shirt up for sale on The Yetee for another ~2 hours.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

wocobob posted:

Okay, so I've been interested in getting into DQ, and it seems like the four DS ones are the best place to start. There's a Gamestop about half an hour from where I am that has 4 for 15.00, and one that's a 20-minute walk away with 6 for :20bux:, so I can get both of those for a completely reasonable amount. The problem is going to be tracking down 5. There aren't any Gamestops nearby with a copy, and both Amazon and Ebay are selling it for disgusting prices. Does anyone know of a good way to get DQ5 for anything under 30.00?

Do you have any local game shops? That's how I managed to pick up my copy for only twenty bucks.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn

Gaius Marius posted:

Do you have any local game shops? That's how I managed to pick up my copy for only twenty bucks.

I live in St. Louis right now, so unfortunately it's pretty much just Gamestops.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

wocobob posted:

If you have an apple/android device, I would definitely recommend getting DQ4 on that. It looks a bit nicer, and you can pretty much play it with one hand. It also has party chat, a feature that lets you talk to your party members whenever you want, which was taken out of the DS version. It's also only 15 bux.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

wocobob posted:

I would definitely jump on both of those at that price - that's a lot of game for not much dosh. As for V, I don't have any answers for you... I just lucked out one day and stumbled into a Gamestop that had IV, V and VI in stock. I think that I payed $25 for V.

Gamestop can do a search of stores in their region (just not (inter)nationally) to see if they have certain games. I'd ask them to fish a bit at one of those stores when you pop in.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

SereneCrimson posted:

This is just kind of sad, I thought after 9 did so well, and the DS remakes seemed to atleast do passably, that SQEX would at least say "We'll probably break even on this at least, so why not?"

Square Enix bailed after the 4 and 5 remakes. Just like Bravely Default, Nintendo published DQ9 and 6 outside Japan.

9 sold well, yes, but 6 bombed and that's why Nintendo didn't pick up and publish 7 over here.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
DQ10 for 3DS launched on Sept. 4.
They've now suspended sales because of rotten connectivity issues.
I guess they won't resume until they get those issues worked out, though they probably can't do anything about system issues like minuscule text.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm playing Dragon Quest VI for the first time, just unlocked classes. Should I be aiming to get characters as wide a skill range as possible, or should I be fast tracking everyone into secondary classes the moment I can?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I'm playing Dragon Quest VI for the first time, just unlocked classes. Should I be aiming to get characters as wide a skill range as possible, or should I be fast tracking everyone into secondary classes the moment I can?

It's better to specialize, generally; you only need variety within the party, not within each character. Plan ahead, and play to the characters' strengths; Carver will never have enough MP to be a good mage, Ashlynn will never have enough strength (or, for that matter, gear) to be a good warrior, etc.

Since it will come up for a sidequest later on, Ashlynn makes the best Luminary. Luminary is also the fastest secondary vocation to master, which will be useful for your main guy, since he only needs to master one secondary vocation to reach Hero.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bongo Bill posted:

Since it will come up for a sidequest later on, Ashlynn makes the best Luminary. Luminary is also the fastest secondary vocation to master, which will be useful for your main guy, since he only needs to master one secondary vocation to reach Hero.

Armamentalist and Paladin don't count. Don't be me; don't make your main guy a Paladin to get into Hero like I did the first time.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Prism posted:

Armamentalist and Paladin don't count. Don't be me; don't make your main guy a Paladin to get into Hero like I did the first time.

Oh god I'm not the only one! Final Fantasy, you have lead me astray! :argh:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The protagonist has become a Gadabout- he decided to celebrate by playing Rock-Paper-Scissors instead of healing at a crucial moment, leading to a TPK. I assume this is typical behavior.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Absolutely, yes :allears:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah that's what they do.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I wouldn't use Luminary to fast-track to Hero, because that job mostly just has Zap spells and the buff dispelling move. It's good and all, but 6 has pretty nasty enemies that are balanced around you throwing your strongest moves at them, so having Hero be a Gadabout and wasting turns giving Puff-Puffs is much less helpful than him Roundhouse Kicking every random encounter.

It's a shame that it's only the four jobs that let you become a Hero, because the main character's balanced stat spread is perfect for Paladin, especially since he learns Zap through the story and that's as good as ever. Incidentally, Carver makes a pretty good Paladin too, because you have Nevan/Ashlynn for post-battle healing so he'll always have enough for fights, and he's decently fast and hard to kill which are good qualities for a white mage since Intellect doesn't matter, and even class changing to Priest doesn't affect his strength too badly since he gets good weapons.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I picked Luminary because I figured I could get Gadabout out of the way, early on, and for eventual Hustle Dance. So far Carver doesn't actually need help killing :black101:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I forget, is Puff Puff a blowjob or a titty wank?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Crimson Harvest posted:

I forget, is Puff Puff a blowjob or a titty wank?

Wow, look at this lewdness. These are games for children, puff-puffing is just a purely innocent placing of boobs on someone's head/face.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Hmm. Some hits and misses here. It's true Paladin doesn't help toward hero, but it gives the Thin Air attack, which is the most widely useful all-enemy 0 MP skill in the game. It also gives Forbearance, but Carver learns that on his own and he's the character you'd want it on most anyway. I like to get Thin Air on the Hero since he's a LOT faster than Carver, but Nevan is an even better option since he'll end up being your combat healer anyway. Priest/Fighter/Mage -> Sage/Paladin shape him up really well.

Ashlynn may have favorable stats to be a Luminary but do it with Milly instead. Ashlynn's HP pool in any class short of like, Gladiator, is so loving pathetic that she can get killed in a single round at almost any phase of the game where you aren't grossly overleveled. Her best use is to learn heals and out-of-combat spells (Priest/Wiz -> Sage is the best path imo) and stay in the loving wagon.

Brother Entropy posted:

Wow, look at this lewdness. These are games for children, puff-puffing is just a purely innocent placing of boobs on someone's head/face.

It's just a pair of slimes.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 10, 2014

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
Don't make the mistake I made and level the main character as a Ranger. It takes forever to master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Vittles posted:

Don't make the mistake I made and level the main character as a Ranger. It takes forever to master.

And it's kinda poo poo.