Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Aristotle Animes posted:

And you didn't ask? Guhh? Oh well, good luck!

good call on the FB thing. If you are going to have one, never friend anyone from work. It's an invite to drama you cannot get away from.

What do you do if someone at work sends you a friend request? They're gonna ask about it if you ignore it, and it seems worse to just say you don't want to...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ottoman
Apr 30, 2004

Hideki! You have so many side dishes. Can Chii be your main course?

QuasiQuack posted:

What do you do if someone at work sends you a friend request? They're gonna ask about it if you ignore it, and it seems worse to just say you don't want to...

"Sorry, I don't add coworkers as friends." Worked for me. Usually the response is "oh yeah I totally understand." If they persist, tell them you've had problems in the past and it's nothing personal.

Ottoman fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 2, 2014

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
At my second last job I added precious few people on Facebook, and only one person from my department. At my last job I knew some people before we worked together, and some other coworkers added me. I had no qualms with adding them as I am very good friends with the office manager/bosses daughter and she knows the sort of poo poo I get up to online. In an ideal world I wouldn't have had any colleagues on Facebook though.

I'm starting a new job next week and I don't plan on accepting any friends requests from coworkers. Its a grown up job and I don't take Facebook/social media in any way seriously and I don't really want to have to explain that to anyone. If someone wants to connect with me online they can add me on LinkedIn.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
One coworker of mine once went out on Bereavement because her Grandmother died, and the next day posted pictures of herself at a Jamacian beach on Facebook.

Probably not a good idea to add your coworkers to Facebook if you're planning on committing fraud.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Kind of reminds me of this (sorry for the Daily Mail link).

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I guess it depends on the job. I work with a bunch of other young people (professional, serious job) and don't see anything wrong with being friends with them, in real life or on Facebook.

Obviously I'd draw the line at my boss.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
At my wife's last job, the managers pressured employees to friend them on facebook so they could know when they are on the site at work.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Xandu posted:

I guess it depends on the job. I work with a bunch of other young people (professional, serious job) and don't see anything wrong with being friends with them, in real life or on Facebook.

Obviously I'd draw the line at my boss.

Oh absolutely. My last job I had every single person in that place added, and we'd all go out and get drunk at least once a week.

At this place though, I have two people from different departments, and even that I feel might be too much. The only reason I haven't removed them is because I don't put anything on Facebook that I'm not willing to let the whole world see, so I have nothing to hide.

e:

Solkanar512 posted:

At my wife's last job, the managers pressured employees to friend them on facebook so they could know when they are on the site at work.

NOPE

NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Renegret posted:

NOPE

NOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPENOPE

Yeah, it was a loving blast having to watch what I said on her posts because her boss might be looking. She's no longer there of course.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, it was a loving blast having to watch what I said on her posts because her boss might be looking. She's no longer there of course.

"Nope sorry don't have Facebook" *sets profile to invisible*

Not in a million years would I add my boss to Facebook so he could stalk me 24 hours a day.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Solkanar512 posted:

Wouldn't that require the boss be on Facebook at work to catch them? Or did he go home every night and check time stamps on posts? Either way that's a bit extreme.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
If I recall correctly, there was also a recent movement by some employers to ask their employees to give them their social media passwords. I remember the senator of my state, Chuck Schumer (D-NY) going apeshit because obviously that's a massive invasion of privacy. Not sure if it's been outlawed yet.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Some new guy just started last week and he sits in the cubicle next to mine. Nice guy, but he likes to randomly come up behind me and see what I'm working on.

Like wtf.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Xandu posted:

Some new guy just started last week and he sits in the cubicle next to mine. Nice guy, but he likes to randomly come up behind me and see what I'm working on.

Like wtf.

Indulge him and give him a smooch?

He probably just wants work friends, it will work itself out eventually. Tell him you're busy in the meanwhile.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Xandu posted:

Like wtf.

Is he blatantly looking at your screen? I bet he's scoping the situation and trying to see if it's acceptable to surf the web or be on FB

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Radio Talmudist posted:

If I recall correctly, there was also a recent movement by some employers to ask their employees to give them their social media passwords. I remember the senator of my state, Chuck Schumer (D-NY) going apeshit because obviously that's a massive invasion of privacy. Not sure if it's been outlawed yet.

That's pretty much America in a nutshell. I'm so glad I live in a country where asking that question is grounds of a lawsuit.

I'm friends with three people at work all of whom I will hang out with outside of work. Basically only friend people you really like.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Radio Talmudist posted:

It may have been made illegal in some states (no idea), but it is still legal on a federal level and with our general record, I'd expect it to stay that way for a long time.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Wouldn't that require the boss be on Facebook at work to catch them? Or did he go home every night and check time stamps on posts? Either way that's a bit extreme.

The former.

This is also a place where they were getting ready to be sold but their German parent company, so they had to tighten up finances. While it was no surprise when the free soda went away, they apparently outsourced the clocks on the wall. Those too went away and were never replaced.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Radio Talmudist posted:

What was keeping people from just saying no? I mean, other than lowering the chances on a job with a lovely employer like that.

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
If there's no law protecting the employee, I guess most feel they have no choice but to give their passwords, or risk being fired. Even if there are laws, filing a law suit is always a risky and time-consuming affair.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
It'd be easier to just delete your facebook account at that point.

Or give it to them and change your password two weeks later and feign ignorance.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Should I give them the password to my bank account too? jfc

A naive coworker outed my twitter account in front of management. I was horrified. Had to lock that poo poo down just in case someone got a sudden attack of Knowing How To Use Twitter

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

All of my bosses forgot that at least one of them was supposed to go to an event this morning. So they emailed me at midnight last night, and again at 7:30 this morning to ask me if I could be there. Good timing dudes :thumbsup:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Keetron posted:

What was keeping people from just saying no? I mean, other than lowering the chances on a job with a lovely employer like that.

Basically the fact that the jobs are probably conditional on it and early-career job opportunities are few and far between these days?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Keetron posted:

It's called "having to pay the bills".

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
Unfortunately employers are at a crazy advantage these days and can get away with a lot. I read yesterday that more and more bosses are commit wage-theft - i.e. just outright refusing to pay employers for OT hours worked and other stuff.

Ottoman
Apr 30, 2004

rolleyes posted:

Kind of reminds me of this (sorry for the Daily Mail link).

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

This is also why I don't post much about work on Facebook except for real generic stuff. In fact this is why I don't post much on Facebook at ALL, especially if it's something that matters. I don't even list my place of employment on there. People are goddamn stupid and there's enough drama in this world already.

Edit: Jesus, sorry to keep bitching about random stuff at my new job but today I got the information on my new insurance ... and contraceptives are not covered. What the gently caress century is this?!

Ottoman fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 2, 2014

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Ottoman posted:

Edit: Jesus, sorry to keep bitching about random stuff at my new job but today I got the information on my new insurance ... and contraceptives are not covered. What the gently caress century is this?!

I've been trying to figure this out, too. Aren't those supposed to be covered at zero cost under the ACA now? My employer isn't covering my wife's birth control either.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Radio Talmudist posted:

I have a "work" account that is easy to find and has the post benign of posts on it - I think my last post there was either me saying I accepted a position or cheering for the yankees (WHICH I REFUSE TO DENY)

I would be VERY reluctant to give up my personal account, since that contains information about sexual orientation, religion and disability status. So seems pretty suspect to me.

Ottoman
Apr 30, 2004

Sundae posted:

I've been trying to figure this out, too. Aren't those supposed to be covered at zero cost under the ACA now? My employer isn't covering my wife's birth control either.

Google gave me this link (it's a PDF). Apparently there are still plans that are grandfathered at least for the moment.

Considering I work for a government I don't know what the hold up is on compliance with ACA. Oh wait, all governments take for loving ever to get anything done. I hear our benefits are changing Jan 1 (IIRC it'll be more expensive for less coverage, yay) so maybe that will force them per this link to become "un-grandfathered."

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

Renegret posted:

It'd be easier to just delete your facebook
This is the one answer for everything above. "I don't have a facebork account" is a nice, tidy answer to all this bullshit. You want my linkedin, here you go. No way am I giving a anyone in the company or customers I work with a portal into my private life that I cannot control.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
You control your Facebook though.

I work in a small industry so I just assume everyone can see it. I untag myself from pictures if I don't like them (but then I mostly don't get my pictures taken) and I try not to have stupid friends.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 29, 2014

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I don't have where I work on my profile. All I post on Facebook is mostly dumb pictures of my dogs, I mostly use it as a modern version of AIM to talk to friends who are scattered around the country.

I have a super boring linkedin account, they can look at that all they want.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

FrozenVent posted:

Back on topic, anyone know a good reference or guide for writing SMART employee performance objectives?

Eh, writing the goals themselves is really not hard. One goal might be something like:

Decrease the average number of defects per KLOC written by the employee, as measured from January 1 to (some date that you expect to get around to writing up annual reviews).
5: 3 or fewer defects per KLOC
4: 4 to 10 defects per KLOC
3: 11 to 20 defects per KLOC
2: 21 to 40 defects per KLOC
1: More than 40 defects per KLOC

Basically, the idea is to give people clear, specific direction about what they are responsible for and what they can expect for a rating at specific performance metrics. The hard part is coming up with goals that are meaningful, objectively measurable, and not too easy to game.

For example, you could give somebody a goal that says that says they must send a minimum number of e-mails to coworkers every week. Is that objectively measurable? Sure. Is it meaningful? Probably not. It's also easy for somebody to just sit there pumping out e-mails to everybody, so it's pretty gamable, too.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Kreeblah posted:

Eh, writing the goals themselves is really not hard. One goal might be something like:

Decrease the average number of defects per KLOC written by the employee, as measured from January 1 to (some date that you expect to get around to writing up annual reviews).
5: 3 or fewer defects per KLOC
4: 4 to 10 defects per KLOC
3: 11 to 20 defects per KLOC
2: 21 to 40 defects per KLOC
1: More than 40 defects per KLOC

Basically, the idea is to give people clear, specific direction about what they are responsible for and what they can expect for a rating at specific performance metrics. The hard part is coming up with goals that are meaningful, objectively measurable, and not too easy to game.

For example, you could give somebody a goal that says that says they must send a minimum number of e-mails to coworkers every week. Is that objectively measurable? Sure. Is it meaningful? Probably not. It's also easy for somebody to just sit there pumping out e-mails to everybody, so it's pretty gamable, too.

You should always be careful with defect metrics - it's much easier to decrease bug count by gaming the system than by actually improving quality.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

You should always be careful with defect metrics - it's much easier to decrease bug count by gaming the system than by actually improving quality.

For those of us in the audience who equate decreasing bugs to improving quality, would you expand on this a little?

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

ItalicSquirrels posted:

For those of us in the audience who equate decreasing bugs to improving quality, would you expand on this a little?

I imagine that during the baseline period, the defect count would be high, and then go down in step with the desired metric.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I imagine that during the baseline period, the defect count would be high, and then go down in step with the desired metric.

Not to mention everyone will cherry pick the quick and easy ones while ignoring the hard and more time consuming ones. Even if those time consuming ones are really critical.

I don't work in software development, but some supervisors here started running ticket metrics here and they ended up having to stop for that exact reason. Everyone was fighting over the really easy work to inflate their numbers while avoiding the difficult but more important work.

The person sitting next to me who did one super critical ticket in 5 hours technically did more work than me who did 30 easy tickets that took 2 minutes a piece, but we have no way of representing that.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Ah, thank you. That makes more sense to me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Again, I don't work with software, but I'm just imagining the kinds of things that could be done.

...and the kinds of things I've done with tickets myself :shobon: