Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Nckdictator posted:

Anyone remember the "Knights of the Force" 'mod' for Jedi Academy?

I remember it was such a big deal at the time of it's development; a Turkish guy claimed to be faithfully recreating most movie action scenes to be playable in the JA engine.

It was revealed to be a scam after he offered to sell copies for $100 and was taken down from most JA mod sites. Man ,that games multiplayer community had a lot of drama and I loved every minute of it.

I remember it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Nckdictator posted:

It was revealed to be a scam after he offered to sell copies for $100 and was taken down from most JA mod sites. Man ,that games multiplayer community had a lot of drama and I loved every minute of it.

You have been banned from this server for failing to bow before and after a duel

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Oh my lord, I miss Jedi Outcast dueling servers. I think I might have even been a clan :iiam:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
People still play Movie Battles 2, which is the best Star Wars Action Figuire Fight Simulator.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

What is that?

Edit: I guess I could just google it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

What is that?

Edit: I guess I could just google it.

In a single sentence: Team Fortress, JKA, Counter Strike have a baby with Wookieepedia and Star Wars action figuires.

It is a Multiplayer mod for JKA, team and class based action with each class being unique and tired to a series of different skills bought by a limited pool of points.

The gimmick really is that each team is basically either Rebels/Empire Republc/CSA and each class is made of a poo poo load of movie, eu, game and comic extras. There is two modes for each of the maps based on the films, authentic and freemode or whatever it is called and it sort of plays like Last Man Standing Counter Strike where you either kill all the dudes in the opposite team or 'win' by completing the map set objective (escoret Han's frozen rear end to Boba Fetts ship for example). Going authentic limits you to characters based on the map settings (The nice DOTF Episode 1 map is basically all Phantom Menace character choices in all the classes). But the real fun is playing the game in freemode and enjoying the glorious chaos.

I think videos of the mod being played or giving it a try yourself can really show it off better. I played it in the past it was pretty goddamn well done. Oh, and there is even an achivement list one of which is annoying everyone with the Lando screaming taunt one thousand times.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 2, 2014

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

astr0man posted:

You have been banned from this server for failing to bow before and after a duel

I think I got kicked/banned from some Jedi Outcast servers for being a pit whore

quote:

Still got nothing on Team Gizka

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A New Dawn got released by Audible early this morning. The first 20 minutes weren't bad so hopefully that's a good sign of the new EU.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I'm curious, how did you guys play Jedi Knight/Outcast/Academy? Mouse and keyboard? Game pad? I used a mouse in my left hand and a joystick in the right since that seemed to be the easiest way to duel and jump around and whatnot.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Mouse and keyboard just like every other FPS game ever

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Mouse and keyboard. Never thought of using a joystick... Though,speaking of joysticks, do any of the X-Wing games work on Windows 8?

Edit: Since we're not talking about much at the moment,lets post some (official) Star Wars art.

:nws: for octopus breasts http://i.imgur.com/gRhPPmi.png

Still the most tasteless piece of SW art.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 2, 2014

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
I think I recognise some of them - West End Games sourcebooks?

That seems like many lifetimes ago now...

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Devol_Tettran posted:

I think I recognise some of them - West End Games sourcebooks?

That seems like many lifetimes ago now...

Most of them yeah, taking them from Wookieepedia and TFN.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone know if the Dark Forces audio dramas are downloadable in mp3 format anywhere? I've only been able to see the CDs on the Amazon US site, but I've been replaying Dark Forces II lately and the adaptation sounds like it might be interesting.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Audible has it.

http://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fa...rid=50879945940

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember the first ever thing Troy Denning did for Star Wars was a late 80s West End Games thing. Forget which one, but it had a scene where Han watched a guy have two Twi'lek whores show him a good time. Good old Denning.

I think this is also the game where he invented the Squibs which is why those loving things are in every single Denning book.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Ok..this one is fan art ,but still

The original ILM logo was..odd.

...As was concept art for Yoda

And some behind the scenes photos.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Metal Loaf posted:

Does anyone know if the Dark Forces audio dramas are downloadable in mp3 format anywhere? I've only been able to see the CDs on the Amazon US site, but I've been replaying Dark Forces II lately and the adaptation sounds like it might be interesting.

There's some uploads on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk-74jlm9VE

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

That one is awesome. Pulling a twi'lek's lekku over their face when the picture is taken has to be the Star Wars equivalent of doing "bunny ears" behind someone's head.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That picture makes me sad, we rarely hear about these kind of guys in Star Wars :smith:.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

I have no idea what that thing the Falcon flying toward is. Any guesses?

Hutts are inherently funny.

Some of the art for the new RPG is really nice.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That OH poo poo Jabba face made my day.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

There's so much going on in that drawing. I personally enjoy Bib shoving Threepio for no discernible reason.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

... Tie Fighter?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDRkb4NOWqE Reminds me the most of that cutscene (after you save him from almost being kidnapped, with Vader as your wingman no less).

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hazo posted:

There's so much going on in that drawing. I personally enjoy Bib shoving Threepio for no discernible reason.

To be fair, has anyone ever needed a reason to shove Threepio?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Not a week goes by where I don't stop and think, "man, TOR was a real waste". Seeing that huge list of concepts that were canned in favor of the MMO is depressing :smith:

If you haven't played/experienced TOR, I recommend avoiding the "Jedi Knight" plotline entirely. It essentially closes out the KOTOR plotlines, and in doing so sucks the very life out of them. It assumes you made the most boring, generic choices in the first two games and revolves around a very unimpressive "big bad guy" and a couple of handwaves to make sure that Revan and the Exile are as one dimensional as possible.

It wasn't all bad, though. The Sith Warrior plotline, if you play as a good guy, is about an honorable cold warrior who is sick of Sith infighting and hopes to reform the system. There's a great LP at about 90% completion here.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

That game and that book is making Kreia roll in her shallow space grave.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've heard the Imperial Secret Agent storyline get a lot of praise, too. I tried to play TOR once back on a free-to-play weekend (before it was entirely free-to-play) and just couldn't get into it. Though that was more me just not getting the hang of the controls and the whole MMO perspective, so to speak.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I loving hate the interface for the game.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

A New Dawn got released by Audible early this morning. The first 20 minutes weren't bad so hopefully that's a good sign of the new EU.
I read the introduction couple of days ago and will probably start reading the book today. Is anyone else going to? I'm surprised there isn't more excitement for unified SW canon here.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

mallamp posted:

I read the introduction couple of days ago and will probably start reading the book today. Is anyone else going to? I'm surprised there isn't more excitement for unified SW canon here.

I started in on it yesterday...I just am having a hard time feeling motivated to read it. I mean, I don't hate the idea of the new, more unified and directed continuity...but I invested a whole lot of time and effort into the Legends universe, and I'm still kinda sore that some plot points are just never going to be followed up on now. We'll never get Blood Oath, Imperial Commando 2, the Sword of the Jedi trilogy, etc.

Plus, the idea of a "unified Star Wars canon" is all going to go straight down the shitter the MOMENT someone involved with the films decided to do something that contradicts the books or Rebels or whatever. I mean, yeah, "That's what the Story Group is there to prevent", but do you really think that Leland Chee and some other Story Group people could tell the Representatives of the Mouse "Oh, no, you can't actually do this thing in your multimillion dollar blockbuster Star Wars Episode X, a book published in 2015 says something different"

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I'm sure we all love (at least parts) of "Legends EU" dearly. But honest answer, have you REALLY liked most of the recent SW EU stuff though? Legacy of the Force onwards in particular.. I think most people already had older EU books in their own 'Legends' headcanon of actually good stuff so this isn't that big of a change.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

mallamp posted:

I'm sure we all love (at least parts) of "Legends EU" dearly. But honest answer, have you REALLY liked most of the recent SW EU stuff though? Legacy of the Force onwards in particular.. I think most people already had older EU books in their own 'Legends' headcanon of actually good stuff so this isn't that big of a change.

I dunno, I really liked the Del-Rey run of New Jedi Order, Legacy of the Force, Fate of the Jedi.

Yeah there were problems; NJO went on too long without enough growth and development, Legacy suffered some serious inconsistencies due to the three writers not being all on the same page, Fate of the Jedi tied in a little too heavily to the Mortis arc of Clone Wars, and Crucible really didn't feel like a good sendoff (and loving backpedaled on actually doing something major with the Big Three, like killing one). But overall, I really enjoyed the ongoing Post-ROTJ EU.

And then there was the side stuff, like those two Jaden Korr books (with more dangling plot threads that we'll never get answered). And that one weird book that apparently was a novelized version of an RPG sourcebook plotline. All great stuff.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I'd say TOR's Imperial Agent storyline is on par with KOTOR, honestly--the ending especially is constrained by being in an MMO, but the choices you make are actually important. Plus there's some extra content for playing a Chiss, which is really all I can ask for.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

My group flamed out after three months so I never got to the end, but I'd enjoyed playing the Republic Commando as a Dark Side character.

In particular: There's one mission where you come upon a kidnapped Senator sitting on a bomb. If you bust him out, you'll alert the bad girl who's one of the team who betrayed and tried to murder you. Being Dark Side, I left the Senator tied to his bomb and snuck further into the base and eventually confronted said bad girl. She hits a button as soon as she sees me and the base is rocked by an explosion.

"Mission failed, Lieutenant."

To which my Commando replies, "You're the mission, Wraith." :black101:

Didn't hurt that female Trooper was voiced by Jennifer Hale who voiced Bastila from KOTOR and FemShep from Mass Effect. Made it feel like Star Was Mass Effect to me, after a fashion.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

jng2058 posted:

My group flamed out after three months so I never got to the end, but I'd enjoyed playing the Republic Commando as a Dark Side character.

In particular: There's one mission where you come upon a kidnapped Senator sitting on a bomb. If you bust him out, you'll alert the bad girl who's one of the team who betrayed and tried to murder you. Being Dark Side, I left the Senator tied to his bomb and snuck further into the base and eventually confronted said bad girl. She hits a button as soon as she sees me and the base is rocked by an explosion.

"Mission failed, Lieutenant."

To which my Commando replies, "You're the mission, Wraith." :black101:

Didn't hurt that female Trooper was voiced by Jennifer Hale who voiced Bastila from KOTOR and FemShep from Mass Effect. Made it feel like Star Was Mass Effect to me, after a fashion.

Yeah, my own Dark Side female Trooper got "Notashep" for a name :). Really most of the Dark Side choices for the Trooper class missions could be considered "Renegade" in the Mass Effect sense, like the spoiled example above.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Which is kind of the tragedy of The Old Republic. You can see the bones of a good game, maybe even a great one, buried in there. But there's so many layers of MMO bullshit between you and the story that it becomes agonizing to play through to the end unless you're able to enjoy the MMO half. And I've never been able to sustain interest in an MMO when I wasn't playing it with friends or family, so when my group broke up, that was it for me and TOR. :sigh:

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
TOR is a steak dinner with everything but the steak. You get all kinds of side quests and plots that often wind up being pretty interesting, but it's a hollow story experience at the end of the day.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Speaking of TOR apparently the latest update has Revan come back from the dead (again) and start some kind of war against both the Empire and the Republic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Chairman Capone posted:

Speaking of TOR apparently the latest update has Revan come back from the dead (again) and start some kind of war against both the Empire and the Republic?

Yep! *sigh* Part of me wishes if they wanted to bring back a KOTOR character from the dead they'd switch to Kreia maybe, but then I consider the likely results and count myself fortunate.