Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Is there a way I can find out what Artists/Albums Google Music has without signing up for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Is there a way I can find out what Artists/Albums Google Music has without signing up for it?
You might be able to see it on the purchase listing on Play but I think it only does that if you already have an All Access sub (you get a "Listen" button at the top).

Availability is pretty good but not perfect and new albums sometimes take a few weeks to show up. It also varies per region which is particularly notable if, like me, you don't live in the US but originally used a US-based computer to activate Google Music back when it was just the US-only upload service. I have to pay in dollars with a US address but apparently they never actually check where the card is registered. As a result, I also pay Washington state sales tax. Sometimes when I share albums with my brother (who has a regular UK subscription) he can't find them on his sub or they are there but have a different URL.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Tunga posted:

You might be able to see it on the purchase listing on Play but I think it only does that if you already have an All Access sub (you get a "Listen" button at the top).

Availability is pretty good but not perfect and new albums sometimes take a few weeks to show up. It also varies per region which is particularly notable if, like me, you don't live in the US but originally used a US-based computer to activate Google Music back when it was just the US-only upload service. I have to pay in dollars with a US address but apparently they never actually check where the card is registered. As a result, I also pay Washington state sales tax. Sometimes when I share albums with my brother (who has a regular UK subscription) he can't find them on his sub or they are there but have a different URL.

Yeah, I was hoping there was some way that's a little more concrete than "availability is pretty good". I might just suck it up and pay $10 for a month to see how it is. I had it during a free trial about...a year ago? And it pissed me off because it changed a lot of my "explicit" versions of songs I uploaded myself to the clean versions. I still find some songs that were messed up to this day :(

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, I was hoping there was some way that's a little more concrete than "availability is pretty good". I might just suck it up and pay $10 for a month to see how it is.
Just make a new Google account and take the trial on that.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

If you go to the Google Play Music Store's website, you can proceed to search for any and all artists and songs you desire to check availability.

EDIT: All Google explains about the All Access Pass (soon to be dubbed Music Key) is that its $9.99 for access to Google's entire Play Music catalog, so why should that not include all of the songs listed in the Play Music Store?
VVVV :goonsay:VVVV

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 1, 2014

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jeff Goldblum posted:

If you go to the Google Play Music Store's website, you can proceed to search for any and all artists and songs you desire to check availability.
This doesn't tell you whether they are included in All Access.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
What's the best audio player for playing something in a remote location?

For example: I have a webserver at home, serving up some archived podcasts I downloaded. I want to stream these when I'm in my car driving to work, and don't really want to download them to my Nexus 5.

I tried using VLC, and the interface seems kind of clunky, and I was hoping there's some other solution?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Plex would probably work.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
I use Subsonic on my NAS and can then access it both through an app or as a web interface.
It has a really ugly web interface though.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wait, did Tapatalk remove the little unread icons from the forum overview page (where you select which forum you want to view) that show if there are new posts? My Note 3 still has an older version that has them, but my G3 is on a newer version that doesn't. I checked the Play Store and it doesn't even show the app as installed on my Note. Is this the result of them pulling that "new app, too bad" poo poo again?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

XIII posted:

Wait, did Tapatalk remove the little unread icons from the forum overview page (where you select which forum you want to view) that show if there are new posts? My Note 3 still has an older version that has them, but my G3 is on a newer version that doesn't. I checked the Play Store and it doesn't even show the app as installed on my Note. Is this the result of them pulling that "new app, too bad" poo poo again?

The 'Pro' version of the app had the little icons. The Pro app is now discontinued (you are a VIP user of the standard app instead) and the standard app doesn't yet have them.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Is this tapatalk superior to the awful app in some way? Hadn't heard about it.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

midnightclimax posted:

Is this tapatalk superior to the awful app in some way? Hadn't heard about it.

Only if you post on other forums.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

TwistedNails posted:

Only if you post on other forums.

mods?!

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

XDA is about the only other forum I look at and every other persons post says something about being posted from tapatalk, it's the only reason I knew what the app was.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, I was hoping there was some way that's a little more concrete than "availability is pretty good". I might just suck it up and pay $10 for a month to see how it is. I had it during a free trial about...a year ago? And it pissed me off because it changed a lot of my "explicit" versions of songs I uploaded myself to the clean versions. I still find some songs that were messed up to this day :(

I'm in Canada and TBH I found the selection pretty poo poo compared to, say, Rdio. Whole albums were missing from discographies for pretty notable bands, stuff like that. I cancelled my sub about two days into the trial since I've been a long-time Rdio subscriber.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Rusty! posted:

The 'Pro' version of the app had the little icons. The Pro app is now discontinued (you are a VIP user of the standard app instead) and the standard app doesn't yet have them.

Ugh, what the gently caress. I might just install the old Pro app and not worry about updates.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/03/chrome-stable-hits-v37-finally-gets-its-material-makeover/

Chrome Stable 37 for Android is now Material Designed.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there a launcher that emulates the tiles of the Windows Phone home screen? While I'm not a huge fan of the tiles paradigm on Windows 8, I think it's super sexy on Windows Phone, especially being able to freely shrink down or enlarge individual tiles.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Karthe posted:

Is there a launcher that emulates the tiles of the Windows Phone home screen? While I'm not a huge fan of the tiles paradigm on Windows 8, I think it's super sexy on Windows Phone, especially being able to freely shrink down or enlarge individual tiles.

There are quite a few Windows 8 Launchers. Maybe one of those will do what you want?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
I've been using the paid version of EvolveSMS for several weeks on my AT&T LG G3 and am pretty happy with it, up until last night. I sent a group text (which goes out as MMS) to two people. I didn't think about it until 30 minutes later when one of them called me and asked me to stop sending them messages.

It turned out the same message had been sent about 150 times and wasn't stopping. I turned off Evolve, but when I tried using the stock message app, it told me it had 'a large number of messages' to send. I tried rebooting the phone (restart) and the messages kept rolling, I shut the phone off, and booted it, and the messages stopped.

So, what went wrong? I've turned on Evolve again and it's working fine. If it happens again what's the path to the message queue so I can just delete the pending messages? I ended up sending about 200 of the same message, it was fine for this group because it was just my wife and daughter. It would be more a pain in the rear end if coworkers were involved.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

vandelay industries posted:

Well that's too bad!

I am using a Galaxy Note 1

My condolences, Note 1 buddy :smith::hf::smith:

Never again a Samsung phone. It has at least 100+ junk apps, got progressively slower and now even most basic operations take ages. The phone wants so dearly me to buy a new phone, but waiting for new Moto and Nexus.

Why Galaxy Alpha has to look so nice though.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Ihmemies posted:

My condolences, Note 1 buddy :smith::hf::smith:

Never again a Samsung phone. It has at least 100+ junk apps, got progressively slower and now even most basic operations take ages. The phone wants so dearly me to buy a new phone, but waiting for new Moto and Nexus.

Why Galaxy Alpha has to look so nice though.

Apparently Samsung used to be pretty awful at software, but I think they've come a long way. I love my Note 3, and while it does still have a lot of bundled apps, I mostly just ignore them or disable them when possible. They definitely don't interfere with my day-to-day use of the phone.

That said, I feel like Samsung sucks at Android upgrades. I had AMAZING battery life with stock Jellybean, and it's been significantly decreased since upgrading to Kit Kat. I had a similar experience with my S3, where an update actually made my phone worse...

Ruttiger
Nov 3, 2004

The music itself is changing.
Ok here's one I haven't seen. Does anyone have any good music making apps on Android? I personally like (but an not very good at) the kinda basic chiptune/tracker type stuff, any hidden gems out there?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Ruttiger posted:

Ok here's one I haven't seen. Does anyone have any good music making apps on Android? I personally like (but an not very good at) the kinda basic chiptune/tracker type stuff, any hidden gems out there?
Caustic is prety solid.

G-Stomper looks like a lot of fun too, but I haven't tried it.

FL Studio isn't worth the price imo.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

brc64 posted:

Apparently Samsung used to be pretty awful at software, but I think they've come a long way. I love my Note 3, and while it does still have a lot of bundled apps, I mostly just ignore them or disable them when possible. They definitely don't interfere with my day-to-day use of the phone.

That said, I feel like Samsung sucks at Android upgrades. I had AMAZING battery life with stock Jellybean, and it's been significantly decreased since upgrading to Kit Kat. I had a similar experience with my S3, where an update actually made my phone worse...

It's not only Samsung. I've had Motorola phones that became unstable to the point where I got Verizon to send me a different model phone because of an update they did.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
When I tried launching Winamp on Tuesday, it would get to the main screen and then I'd get the "Unfortunately, Winamp has stopped" message. I can't get it to do anything any more. Is this related to the change in ownership? Is there something else recommended particularly for listening to Shoutcast?

Ruttiger
Nov 3, 2004

The music itself is changing.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Caustic is prety solid.

G-Stomper looks like a lot of fun too, but I haven't tried it.

FL Studio isn't worth the price imo.

Thanks pal, I'm gonna go check it out

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
What do goons recommend for offline turn-by-turn voice navigation on Android? Something along the lines of Nokia Here Drive+ on Windows Phone.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TraderStav posted:

Out of nowhere Nine is draining the poo poo out of my battery on my Moto X. I turned push off but can't see any other options that would have the keep awake so high. Any thoughts on troubleshooting? I stopped the app and started back up to see if there was something rogue running but it was behaving well before.

No, no root.

I wanted to follow up on this as I believe the problem has now been resolved. 9folders support was extremely helpful and had me experimenting until we found the potential root cause of the battery drain. It seems that my server started rejecting the provision of the Android device type, either it was detecting that someone was using a non-approved app or something happened in their last update triggered an automatic process. Either way, the following fix worked:

Remove and re-add the account. Tap "UserAgent" seven times to enable editing of the field and change to:

UserAgent: Apple-iPod2C1/803.148
DeviceType: Apple

I was at 20% battery after 2-3 hours and now am sitting at 69% after 6 with Nine nowhere to be seen on the usage display, it was accounting for 45-60% previously.

I hope this may be helpful for someone in the future.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What do goons recommend for offline turn-by-turn voice navigation on Android? Something along the lines of Nokia Here Drive+ on Windows Phone.

Didn't Here Drive recently come to Android? Or was I mislead by only skimming headlines I don't care about?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/04/bullied-twitter-twitpic-close-september-25th/

TwitPIc's been forced out by Twitter, they're closing on September 25th.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

No real loss. Twitter's built in image hosting means one less hoop to jump through.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I'm surprised people still used Twitpic considering it was a pain in the rear end to use and the site was riddled with ads.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ruttiger posted:

I haven't gotten too deep into it but Electrum is a good beat sequencer / drum machine.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

hooah posted:

Didn't Here Drive recently come to Android? Or was I mislead by only skimming headlines I don't care about?

I think that was a Samsung exclusive.

Oh Lordy Lord
Dec 31, 2004

I know that this is technically not an Android question, but I figured this is the best place to find someone who had the same problem with the Google Music Manager on Windows.

Has this happened to anyone else? It's really starting to annoy me. The number is getting smaller and smaller, making Google Music that much more useless and a phone with an SD card that much more appealing.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008
Pick and choose the music you actually listen to? Why on earth do you need almost 20,000 tracks?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Stop using that crappy old app and install the Play Music Chrome extension and upload via that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rusty! posted:

Stop using that crappy old app and install the Play Music Chrome extension and upload via that?
This. Music Manager sucks.

• Locked thread