Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Entropic posted:

If we don't get some big-rear end mythic dragons somewhere in the Dragon-clans-from-the-Dragon-plane that's home-of-that-guy-who-loves-Dragons block, I will be incredibly surprised.

Sarkhan tries to bring back the dragons, but accidentally brings back homarids instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Sarkhan tries to bring back the dragons, but accidentally brings back homarids instead.

I would unironically love to see Homarids brought back, and not suck.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Madmarker posted:

I would unironically love to see Homarids brought back, and not suck.

Pick one

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Were people actually believing that Vindicate is a Standard (or even Modern) reprintable card? Because Vindicate is busted.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
We're never getting Stone Rain in Standard again, never mind Vindicate. If anyone was actually expecting a Vindicate reprint in Standard they're delusional.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Entropic posted:

If anyone was actually expecting a Vindicate reprint in Standard they're delusional.
some people actually were :ssh:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Entropic posted:

We're never getting Stone Rain in Standard again, never mind Vindicate. If anyone was actually expecting a Vindicate reprint in Standard they're delusional.

Expecting, no. However, it would have been nice to have a 3 mana Vinidcate-light that destroyed target nonland permanent.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

I think Vindicate with a nonland clause would be reprintable in Standard, though it would be pushing the upper limits of what they're willing to do. The real issue is 3CMC land destruction which we will never, ever, ever get back (together) in Standard.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I don't expect a Vindicate reprint, but I do demand one.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
More powerful creatures as a baseline and a lack of a 4 mana board sweep would make you think there might be more powerful one for one removal... I just don't like premium removal at rare. Paying 10 bucks for a heroes downfall was annoying.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Stone Rain is actually Modern legal but nobody plays it simply because a card that narrow isn't usually worth playing. The real reason its not coming back is probably because gently caress that card in limited.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Angry Grimace posted:

Stone Rain is actually Modern legal but nobody plays it simply because a card that narrow isn't usually worth playing. The real reason its not coming back is probably because gently caress that card in limited.

e: never mind

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Angry Grimace posted:

Stone rain actually sees a fair bit of play in modern, mostly as a sideboard card against tron as sowing salts can be too slow some times. You do have the maniacs who play every LD spell you can but those decks are bad.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

We had Maelstrom Pulse in Alara so 1WB Destroy Target non-land permanent is definitely a thing they could do.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

More powerful creatures as a baseline and a lack of a 4 mana board sweep would make you think there might be more powerful one for one removal... I just don't like premium removal at rare. Paying 10 bucks for a heroes downfall was annoying.

None of the creatures so far have been all that powerful, honestly. Right now I would say the 3/3 for 4 with the good ETB and the great trigger was the most constructed playable out of the cards we've seen.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Who the hell plays stone rain in limited? Also printing efficient LD in a multicolor set would be completely counterproductive and stupid.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

stone rain, much like just about all LD that trades a spell for a land with no other bonuses, is awful in limited

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

One of the best creatures in Standard right now and especially post-rotation is a 1CC with no ETB trigger at all. I think R&D is doing a good job of jogging us away from "ETB trigger or bust".

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

None of the creatures so far have been all that powerful, honestly. Right now I would say the 3/3 for 4 with the good ETB and the great trigger was the most constructed playable out of the cards we've seen.

Mardu Skullhunter is way more constructed playable than that. A Ravenous Rats piker is really, really sweet. Other cards that will absolutely see play in Standard at least, and possibly beyond: Sultai Charm, Icefeather Aven, Abzan Ascendancy (maybe), Rattleclaw Mystic, Crackling Doom, Heir of the Wilds, new Sarkhan, Utter End.

Crackling Doom is absolutely good enough for Modern. Heir of the Wilds is a deathtouch bear that is a 3/3 for 2 later in the game and still trades with anything. Rattleclaw Mystic enables incredibly explosive turn 3 plays; turn 1 dork, turn 2 facedown Mystic, turn 3 flip Mystic and play a 6-drop in Temur colors is a very real threat. The Charm is card-filtering and removal. I'm not 100% on Abzan Ascendancy but the effect is powerful enough that I can see people trying to make it work.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

One of the best creatures in Standard right now and especially post-rotation is a 1CC with no ETB trigger at all. I think R&D is doing a good job of jogging us away from "ETB trigger or bust".

There are almost no 1 CC creatures with good ETB abilities, they almost all tap (Mom, Deathrite, BoP) or swing, so I wouldn't call that much of an argument in favour of your point.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

LordSaturn posted:

Soldier of the Pantheon?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Think he meant 1GG, with c for color instead of converted mana cost.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Elyv posted:

stone rain, much like just about all LD that trades a spell for a land with no other bonuses, is awful in limited
I agree, and Avalanche Riders is the exception. It is a great cube card.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Abzan supremacy is one of the better anthem effects they've printed, since it is both a solid buff and wrath insurance.
Paired with cards like Ainok Bond-kin, it promises some pretty big buffs for creatures with counters on them.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Algid posted:

Think he meant 1GG, with c for color instead of converted mana cost.

Yes, I was alluding to Courser. She even dies to Doom Blade, though admittedly not to Lightning Bolt.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

LordSaturn posted:

Courser? Can you respond to a creature's ETB if it has no ETB effect? I.e. can you use removal to kill the courser before it reveals the top card and the player can play it? Because otherwise I would call playing the top card of your library if it's a land as an ability.

Unless you're talking about Brimaz

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Devor posted:

Courser? Can you respond to a creature's ETB if it has no ETB effect? I.e. can you use removal to kill the courser before it reveals the top card and the player can play it? Because otherwise I would call playing the top card of your library if it's a land as an ability.

There is no opportunity to respond, if they play it t4 they can drop a land right after.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Devor posted:

If someone plays Courser, their top card is revealed as soon as it enters the battlefield, at which point they are free to play the top card if it's a land and they haven't played one yet. The opponent can't do anything to stop it. However, if the Courser player passes priority to the opponent, they can then kill the Courser and prevent them from playing the land. So basically, you can't prevent the land drop if the Courser player knows what they're doing and you sometimes can if they don't.

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 2, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

If someone plays Courser, their top card is revealed as soon as it enters the battlefield, at which point they are free to play the top card if it's a land and they haven't played one yet. The opponent can't do anything to stop it. However, if the Courser player hesitates and passes priority to the opponent, they can then kill the Courser and prevent them from playing the land. So basically, you can't prevent the land drop if the Courser player knows what they're doing and you sometimes can if they don't.

Simply hesitating doesn't pass priority. If you are the active player and it is your main phase, you have priority until you either 1) cast a spell or activate an ability or 2) attempt to change phases. If I cast a Courser and then look at my cards for a while saying "Hmmmmm" while thinking about what to do it does not constitute a pass of priority and my opponent doesn't get to Blade my Courser, even if he speaks really fast.

And technically you still have priority in scenario 1 above, it's just generally shortcutted that unless the active player actively demonstrates that they are attempting to retain priority then it will pass to the non-active player.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Simply hesitating doesn't pass priority. If you are the active player and it is your main phase, you have priority until you either 1) cast a spell or activate and ability or 2) attempt to change phases. If I cast a Courser and then look at my cards for a while saying "Hmmmmm" while thinking about what to do it does not constitute a pass of priority and my opponent doesn't get to Blade my Courser, even if he speaks really fast.

I didn't mean it that way, jeez. I meant if they do not immediately play the land and pass priority.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I didn't mean it that way, jeez. I meant if they do not immediately play the land and pass priority.

Fair enough, but a lot of people DO understand priority that way and I think it's important to disabuse them of the notion. It's the MTG equivalent of "you took your hand off it!"

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Fair enough, but a lot of people DO understand priority that way and I think it's important to disabuse them of the notion. It's the MTG equivalent of "you took your hand off it!"

Yeah, fair enough. I play online mostly, so I forget that these things are even issues sometimes.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

If someone plays Courser, their top card is revealed as soon as it enters the battlefield, at which point they are free to play the top card if it's a land and they haven't played one yet. The opponent can't do anything to stop it. However, if the Courser player hesitates and passes priority to the opponent, they can then kill the Courser and prevent them from playing the land. So basically, you can't prevent the land drop if the Courser player knows what they're doing and you sometimes can if they don't.

If either player has something else that can generate ETB triggers you can do it once they're stacked. For example, purphuros or any evolve/tribute dude.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
The worst is when people take "resolves?" to mean I pass priority. Well wait, it is, but you know what I mean. The stack is not over.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

If either player has something else that can generate ETB triggers you can do it once they're stacked. For example, purphuros or any evolve/tribute dude.
This just made me realize that courser and fetchlands are going to coexist. That'll be fun.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

sarmhan posted:

This just made me realize that courser and fetchlands are going to coexist. That'll be fun.

I'm just happy I'll get to watch people gently caress up their scry's with fetches.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I had a guy try to doom blade my Young Pyromancer immediately after it entered the battlefield, and when I mentioned that I still get to cast Molten Birth, he said it was too late because it was sorcery speed.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

End of Life Guy posted:

I had a guy try to doom blade my Young Pyromancer immediately after it entered the battlefield, and when I mentioned that I still get to cast Molten Birth, he said it was too late because it was sorcery speed.
Yea that guy is wrong and doesn't understand how priority works/was trying to gently caress you over.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Madmarker posted:

I'm just happy I'll get to watch people gently caress up their scry's with fetches.

Cedric: "Thankfully he had a fetchland in play, so he was able to turn that into a perfect brainstorm courser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

sarmhan posted:

Yea that guy is wrong and doesn't understand how priority works/was trying to gently caress you over.

He was just mistaken is all. No ill will. He even said "In response" as if he could kill it on the stack.

• Locked thread