Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

300 Earth Dollars posted:

Huh so should I be planning on SLI for 3x1080p w/ new games?

Yeah. Depending on the card you pick, maybe 3-way SLI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Huh so should I be planning on SLI for 3x1080p w/ new games?
If you plan on doing something like Eyefinity or otherwise playing across all three screens (as opposed to playing on one screen while the other two display webpages or whatever), yes.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
What about 4k with AA dropped ? Would that squeeze out the performance? Has anyone compared a 4k experience with no AA with a maxxed out AA 1080p?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Purgatory Glory posted:

What about 4k with AA dropped ? Would that squeeze out the performance? Has anyone compared a 4k experience with no AA with a maxxed out AA 1080p?
4k at 27-30" isn't enough to entirely eliminate jaggies, but yeah, you can probably get away with 2x where before you were using 4x. Is it enough to make up for pushing 400% more pixels? A'nope. Unless you're forcing super-sampling, the performance hit from modern AA algorithms is somewhere in the 10-25% for many games. So, sure, you save yourself 25%, leaving only another 375% to go.

You're not really getting around the issue of pushing 8.3 million pixels from a single card unless you're willing to play older games, or drop the settings down a good bit. The math just doesn't support it.

e; Literally: Take whatever FPS you're getting with a given setup at 1080p, and cut it to a quarter. That's what you can expect from it pushing 4k (at the high end; many not-quite-top-of-the-line cards will choke trying to deal with framebuffers and such that large, and will experience higher than linear performance degradation). Take a look at some reviews of the current batch of top-end cards and see what that tells you.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 31, 2014

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
I was planning on waiting until I could get a 3D 4k monitors, which I think means one running at 120Hz. How many years am I going to have to wait until there is a graphics card to power one? (I'm assuming that a monitor will be out before a graphics card)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

FSMC posted:

I was planning on waiting until I could get a 3D 4k monitors, which I think means one running at 120Hz. How many years am I going to have to wait until there is a graphics card to power one? (I'm assuming that a monitor will be out before a graphics card)
3D 4k monitors should be along in the next year or so, I'd think--they already exist in the TV world, though obviously the price factor is a bit painful. On the GPU side...well, you can probably expect to see something that will enable it as soon as anyone bothers to package DisplayPort 1.3 into a card. As for pushing it at max settings on current AAA titles? Forget it. You're now talking a 800% increase in power needs over pushing a single 1080p/60Hz monitor. That's solidly in the realm of 3- or 4-way 780 Ti SLI rigs, or a couple of Titans. Not sure how long it's been since GPU power doubled, but I can't imagine it being less than 4-5 years.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

DrDork posted:

If you plan on doing something like Eyefinity or otherwise playing across all three screens (as opposed to playing on one screen while the other two display webpages or whatever), yes.

Butts, I was really hoping a 780 would be enough.

OK well I obviously don't know what I'm doing here, so open question: I would like to run 3x1080p in eyefinity on new games at high graphics complexity. I've got a good system and a 2way SLI board, what card(s) should I get?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
IMO, the best bang for your buck will be two Radeon R9-290s in CrossFire. If you want Team Green, GTX 770 4 GBs would underperform that, and 2x GTX 780s would be equivalent-ish but more expensive/less power-hungry.

I don't really know if the 6 GB versions of the 780 would be worth looking at. My gut feeling is not really, but 3GB doesn't seem very forward-thinking for almost a 4K screen's worth of pixels.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

I've been using a single R9 290 for a 3x1080p Eyefinity setup, and for most games I've played it's been able to handle 60 FPS at high settings.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Testicle posted:

I've been using a single R9 290 for a 3x1080p Eyefinity setup, and for most games I've played it's been able to handle 60 FPS at high settings.
Yeah, it really depends on what games you're looking at, and what settings. For example, while it takes 2x R290X's to hit 60FPS on a maxed out 4k BF3 setup, knock the settings down to medium and the FPS jumps to 120FPS. If you're ok with not being able to turn everything to Ultra + 4/8x FSAA, your hardware needs drop substantially.

While R290's are probably the best bang for your buck at the high end, R290X's have a number of advantages, such as Crossfire over PCIe and being a GNC 1.1 part, which will mean it supports some of the nifty forward-looking features AMD has been talking about, while the 290 is a 1.0 part that'll end up falling behind the curve. FactoryFactory is right that the 6GB 780's are a poor investment, and also correct that the 3GB limit on the normal 780's are also kinda a bad idea. Basically, the higher the resolution, the better the 290X performs compared to the 780.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

DrDork posted:

Yeah, it really depends on what games you're looking at, and what settings. For example, while it takes 2x R290X's to hit 60FPS on a maxed out 4k BF3 setup, knock the settings down to medium and the FPS jumps to 120FPS. If you're ok with not being able to turn everything to Ultra + 4/8x FSAA, your hardware needs drop substantially.

While R290's are probably the best bang for your buck at the high end, R290X's have a number of advantages, such as Crossfire over PCIe and being a GNC 1.1 part, which will mean it supports some of the nifty forward-looking features AMD has been talking about, while the 290 is a 1.0 part that'll end up falling behind the curve. FactoryFactory is right that the 6GB 780's are a poor investment, and also correct that the 3GB limit on the normal 780's are also kinda a bad idea. Basically, the higher the resolution, the better the 290X performs compared to the 780.

290 is a GCN 1.1 part.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

290 is a GCN 1.1 part.
Correct. I was thinking about the 280x but writing 290. My bad.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

OK well I obviously don't know what I'm doing here, so open question: I would like to run 3x1080p in eyefinity on new games at high graphics complexity. I've got a good system and a 2way SLI board, what card(s) should I get?

Pointing this out just to make sure:
SLI is nVidia, AMD's multi GPU system is called Crossfire.
Usually mainboards support one or the other, if I recall correctly.

Eyefinity is AMD technology. Multi monitor support for gaming from nVidia is called 3D Surround.

Just make sure what type of multi GPU tech your mainboard supports.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
While some cheaper motherboards still only support SLI or CrossFire, most not-absolute-budget boards these days do support both. Certainly worth double checking before you buy it, though.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks
Yea that's a good thing to point out, but it was just me getting the terminology mixed up.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I've seen crossfire boards that don't support SLI but I think all SLI boards will do crossfire because the requirements are strictly more lax. Plus I think SLI has a licensing fee and crossfire doesn't?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I don't know about licensing fees, but on a technical level, all SLI boards will support CrossFire, any board with two PCIe slots supports CrossFire, and whether the chipset/board is branded really doesn't have anything to do with it now that the PCIe controller sits on the processor, rather than an Nvidia-supplied Northbridge.

SLI requires an x8 electrical PCIe connection. CrossFire has no such restriction, and you can run it off a PCIe x1 connection if you're stubborn and a bit dumb.

That's where H97 and Z97 differ, and why H97 boards support CF but not SLI - Z97 comes with firmware support that lets the 16 PCIe lanes on the processor be partitioned into x8/x8 or x8/x4/x4 (only the former of which is a valid SLI config). H97 only allows an x16 PCIe slot from the processor, and the remaining CF support generally comes from a PCIe 2.0 x4 connection to the PCH, which is connected to the processor by a PCIe-like link with about the same bandwidth but which is also shared with network, SATA, USB, etc. bandwidth.

A Z97 board could hypothetically support quad-CrossFire by doing the CPU at x8/x4/x4 3.0 and PCH x4 2.0. But that PCH link is slow enough to meaningfully impact the already-scanty marginal gains of four card CF vs. three. Better to use a PLX switch - which quad-CF/quad-SLI Z97 boards generally do.

Now, there's "support" and actual, validated and verified support. A server board with the right PCIe lanes hasn't necessarily been validated for SLI, even if a gaggle of video cards fit on there and could work independently, which is more common in server workloads. So don't go buying some uncertified board to save $10 over a certified one just on my say-so that it *should* work.

E: Oh gently caress me, of course Nvidia locks driver support behind licensing. I didn't think of that even while I'm talking about how Intel market-segments the CPU's PCIe controller via the Southbridge. :doh:

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 31, 2014

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

E: Oh gently caress me, of course Nvidia locks driver support behind licensing. I didn't think of that even while I'm talking about how Intel market-segments the CPU's PCIe controller via the Southbridge. :doh:
True, but to be fair, who builds a gaming computer around an AMD CPU these days?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yeah. Though for what it's worth, 990FX gives way more PCIe lanes than Intel chips at the same price point. 38 or something.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So when are the next generation of cards expected? If I'm building a new PC should I hold off until then or is it long enough out not to worry?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

icantfindaname posted:

So when are the next generation of cards expected? If I'm building a new PC should I hold off until then or is it long enough out not to worry?

970's and 980's are to be "formally introduced" in less than three weeks, reportedly. I would wait

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I was tempted to get an R9 290 but now I'm waiting for the GTX970 myself. Any word on specs and pricing yet?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I bought a 780ti on Amazon last week, and as I'm in Australia it is estimated to be arriving the day that people are theorising the new cards will be announced (September 8) :(

(I'll probably try and eBay it NIB and get a 980)

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I kind of doubt a 980 is going to be much better especially at the beginning, I wouldn't take a big loss on it or anything. Although I haven't been following if there are any other features expected other than some power saving and the 15% general improvement

If you got the PSU you might be able to pick up a another 780ti that people try to dump quick ;)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Assuming I wait and get a 970, will that be adequate for medium/high game settings at 1440p? (one monitor)

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

1gnoirents posted:

I kind of doubt a 980 is going to be much better especially at the beginning, I wouldn't take a big loss on it or anything. Although I haven't been following if there are any other features expected other than some power saving and the 15% general improvement

Yeah, if it's still on the 28nm process then I can't see the performance gains being too great. However, I fully expect that Nvidia tax to be there, especially since AMD doesn't publicly have anything on the horizon right now.

icantfindaname posted:

Assuming I wait and get a 970, will that be adequate for medium/high game settings at 1440p? (one monitor)

If they continue what they did with the 600 series to 700 series (680 becoming 770), then a 970 would theoretically be on par with a 780 (and possibly getting a slight memory/clock boost). I'm playing games at 1440p at max or near max at 60FPS right now (with a 780), so you should be good.

Rukus fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 2, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I ran a single 770 for :science: on 1440p for a few weeks on and off. It was surprisingly good, but approaching inadequate. The 970 will probably cut it this time around for medium/high. I will instinctively say don't expect to use much AA if at all, thought that sort of stuff can change more dramatically (or hardly at all) between generations.

It could seriously crunch down pretty badly for brief moments online when things got too tough to handle. But overall I was thoroughly impressed given what I was expecting. However it was not reference and it was overclocked to the brim (just software, no bios or anything funky) and being so on the edge every little bit made a tangible difference. I don't know how long it takes for aftermarket companies to put their own out after official release.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

BurritoJustice posted:

I bought a 780ti on Amazon last week, and as I'm in Australia it is estimated to be arriving the day that people are theorising the new cards will be announced (September 8) :(

(I'll probably try and eBay it NIB and get a 980)

Since when does Amazon ship computer hardware over here! I could have saved so much money. My 780ti was like 900 bucks once I factored in the credit card surcharge most stores seem to have.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Is scaling from 1440p to 1080p a decent option usually, or does it look worse than a monitor of that native resolution? Just out of curiosity

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

Is scaling from 1440p to 1080p a decent option usually, or does it look worse than a monitor of that native resolution? Just out of curiosity

Running a monitor at a non native resolution will always look worse. That being said, if you have to do it, 720p usually looks the best, because it's exactly a quarter of the pixels.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The Lord Bude posted:

Since when does Amazon ship computer hardware over here! I could have saved so much money. My 780ti was like 900 bucks once I factored in the credit card surcharge most stores seem to have.

Like three weeks ago. It was a really bizarre transition. One day nothing, the next day everything fulfilled by Amazon ships to Aus. Some great savings, I got my 780ti for 725AUD flat even after shipping and conversions. They sell for that much used in Aus.

EDIT: Protip, never use the Amazon currency converter or you'll get shafted. Stuff's a lot cheaper letting your CC company do the conversion. Also, 650AUD shipped (using VISA's currency converter) for this ASUS 780ti right now.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Sep 2, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Like three weeks ago. It was a really bizarre transition. One day nothing, the next day everything fulfilled by Amazon ships to Aus. Some great savings, I got my 780ti for 725AUD flat even after shipping and conversions. They sell for that much used in Aus.

EDIT: Protip, never use the Amazon currency converter or you'll get shafted. Stuff's a lot cheaper letting your CC company do the conversion. Also, 650AUD shipped (using VISA's currency converter) for this ASUS 780ti right now.

Meanwhile, I paid like 900 for my MSI 780ti from computer alliance, including their ridiculous credit card surcharge. It seems like every bloody PC store has one, I can understand a small surcharge for Amex but making someone pay extra for visa/mastercard is bullshit.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Meanwhile, I paid like 900 for my MSI 780ti from computer alliance, including their ridiculous credit card surcharge. It seems like every bloody PC store has one, I can understand a small surcharge for Amex but making someone pay extra for visa/mastercard is bullshit.

PCCG and Umart have a 2-3% charge IIRC. If you're getting something shipped, PCCG is more than likely to be the cheapest place (in Australia) to get it from.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Guni posted:

PCCG and Umart have a 2-3% charge IIRC. If you're getting something shipped, PCCG is more than likely to be the cheapest place (in Australia) to get it from.

ITSDirect and Computer Alliance have about the same. ITSDirect charges a fortune for shipping though. I tend to buy stuff from Computer Alliance or Umart because I can just drive to them without having to pay for shipping, but their selection often tends to suck - that's where PCCG comes in.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

ITSDirect and Computer Alliance have about the same. ITSDirect charges a fortune for shipping though. I tend to buy stuff from Computer Alliance or Umart because I can just drive to them without having to pay for shipping, but their selection often tends to suck - that's where PCCG comes in.

Yeah, PCCG definitely has the best selection I've seen. When I used to live in Brisbane, Umart was my go to for most things, especially when you factor in at least $10-20 for shipping from my other choice (PCCG). Umart GPU prices are kinda hit and miss last I looked though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Guni posted:

Yeah, PCCG definitely has the best selection I've seen. When I used to live in Brisbane, Umart was my go to for most things, especially when you factor in at least $10-20 for shipping from my other choice (PCCG). Umart GPU prices are kinda hit and miss last I looked though.

Yeah that's why I went to Computer Alliance for the GPU. I wouldn't trust either of them to supply a prebuilt or build something for me. Computer Alliance's 'technicians' are awful. ITSDirect is good but I have a sneaking suspicion the business has changed hands, they don't seem to be as good as they used to be. They also have ridiculous shipping prices - when I got my previous computer from them shipping was like 150 dollars - they're only on the sunshine coast too.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The R9 285 NDA has lifted and it seems the card is about as fast as the 280 was, while drawing less power and having a few more features:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-r9-285-tonga,3925-14.html

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
I've been looking for a good 250$ card and the 285 seems perfect. My GTX 465 is very long in the tooth.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Radio Talmudist posted:

I've been looking for a good 250$ card and the 285 seems perfect. My GTX 465 is very long in the tooth.

Good, buy a 280X, it's cheaper and significantly faster than the 285, with an extra GB of RAM to boot. http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=148&sort=a8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

I don't know what club3D is but $220 for a new 280x sounds killer