Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Familiar Faces is awesome. One feature I like is that you can set your alt character to a class if they're your main's follower, but I'm not sure what some of them are:

Default, Assassin, Barbarian, Conjurer, Mage (Destruction), Mage (Elemental), Mage (Necromancer), Monk, Mystic, Nightblade, Nightengale, Ranger, Rogue, Scout, Sorcerer, Spellsword, Thief, Warrior (1H), Warrior (2H), Witchblade.

I have a pretty good idea of most of them, but what are Mystic, Nightengale, and Witchblade? And what's the difference between Ranger/Scout and Rogue/Thief behaviors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

Familiar Faces is awesome. One feature I like is that you can set your alt character to a class if they're your main's follower, but I'm not sure what some of them are:

Default, Assassin, Barbarian, Conjurer, Mage (Destruction), Mage (Elemental), Mage (Necromancer), Monk, Mystic, Nightblade, Nightengale, Ranger, Rogue, Scout, Sorcerer, Spellsword, Thief, Warrior (1H), Warrior (2H), Witchblade.

I have a pretty good idea of most of them, but what are Mystic, Nightengale, and Witchblade? And what's the difference between Ranger/Scout and Rogue/Thief behaviors?

The difference is where skill points are put on level up.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Classes

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm afraid to use any ENBs because my rig is getting a bit old. Are there any that don't cause much/any performance hits?

Agents are GO! posted:

Everything by EnaiSiaion, and Forgotten Magic, as is Midas Magic Redone (avoid Midas Magic Expanded though, its poo poo) is pretty sweet. SPERG alone makes casting much more fun.

For general advice, my advice is to focus mainly on Regeneration enchants, and not Spell Cost ones.
I can't find Midas Magic Redone, what is it?

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 2, 2014

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
There's a mod that ups saturation (no .ini fuckery necessary) that isn't resource intensive.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The one where you install it and then just flick the DON'T gently caress WITH THE GRAPHICS switch from 0 to 1.

Floppy Dingo
Jan 11, 2012

I've made so much money from Goku's Pants
Maybe mod related:

Is there any way to make popup text in the upper left corner linger for a longer period of time? I find that most mods that put text up there (like frostfall) seem to only be there for a brief second or so before fading out, which sometimes is hard to catch what it all says.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
So if anyone was curious, the text bugs I mentioned earlier weren't from a mod, I think. A little while ago I encountered an "Elvem Greatsword", so I can safely say that some object chosen at random has the fifth character "reduced by one" at some random time. Does Skyrim use ASCII? But anyways, I think it can safely be concluded to be some bizarre transient engine bug. I guess it could also be a scripting thing -- I know scripts can change things' names, like with Silver Hand radiant quests transforming bandits -- but it would be effectively impossible to diagnose where this specific weird problem came from.

Positronic Spleen fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 2, 2014

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I have a quick question/request about SPERG:

I noticed I wasn't getting any quest rewards, and I was trying to figure out why, so I dug around in the source code and found

code:
Function GiveReward()
	string[] skillNames = new string[5]
	int[] skillValues = new int[5]
	int i = 0
	int currentValue
	While(i < 18) ;this loop populates the skillNames array with the top five non-maxed skills
		currentValue = PlayerRef.GetBaseAV(skillsArray[i]) as int
		If currentValue < 100 ;Ignore any skill already at max.
which explains why my character with all skills over 100 wasn't getting any rewards. Do you think that could be changed or set as an option? I would expect a lot of players play with the Skyrim Community Uncapper and therefore routinely have all skills over 100. I want my quest rewards, dammit :v:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Isn't quest reward stuff an option in the MCM?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Zeron posted:

Isn't quest reward stuff an option in the MCM?

It is, but the idea is that the scripting explicitly says to pick the skill point to be rewarded among the skills which are less than 100. But if all of my skills are above 100, then none of my skills are eligible for a quest reward skill point.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
So I unistalled Skyrim last year and just recently reinstalled it.

All my modsi left laying on my computer work fine and I've even tacked on 10 more. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Positronic Spleen posted:

So if anyone was curious, the text bugs I mentioned earlier weren't from a mod, I think. A little while ago I encountered an "Elvem Greatsword", so I can safely say that some object chosen at random has the fifth character "reduced by one" at some random time. Does Skyrim use ASCII? But anyways, I think it can safely be concluded to be some bizarre transient engine bug. I guess it could also be a scripting thing -- I know scripts can change things' names, like with Silver Hand radiant quests transforming bandits -- but it would be effectively impossible to diagnose where this specific weird problem came from.
Skyrim displays unicode to support international versions. Its a separate system from the script engine so only UI mods like SkyUI (or possibly SKSE dll plugins) would be able to effect it. Make sure all of those are installed right.

Cantorsdust posted:

I have a quick question/request about SPERG:

I noticed I wasn't getting any quest rewards, and I was trying to figure out why, so I dug around in the source code and found

code:
Function GiveReward()
	string[] skillNames = new string[5]
	int[] skillValues = new int[5]
	int i = 0
	int currentValue
	While(i < 18) ;this loop populates the skillNames array with the top five non-maxed skills
		currentValue = PlayerRef.GetBaseAV(skillsArray[i]) as int
		If currentValue < 100 ;Ignore any skill already at max.
which explains why my character with all skills over 100 wasn't getting any rewards. Do you think that could be changed or set as an option? I would expect a lot of players play with the Skyrim Community Uncapper and therefore routinely have all skills over 100. I want my quest rewards, dammit :v:

To change it just change the 100 to whatever you raised the cap to and then compile that script. To do that open the CK (no need to load any mods) and then the script manager and type in part of the name in the box to search. Then right click > compile script. Making it into an MCM would be doable but Skyrim's crazy glitchyness won the battle again Seorin.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Don't gently caress with a witch :c00l:

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009

davidspackage posted:

Feel like firing up Skyrim again, can someone recommend mods that deal with my packrat behavior:

Something that lets me dump my excess items somewhere/with someone so they'll get sold off automatically and I can pick up money later. I always wish I could strike a deal with the Khajiit caravan so they can sell my stuff for me.

Something that organizes containers way better, even Oblivion sorted items far better than this game.

Edit: vv thanks! I noticed the mod for fixing my second problem in the OP too.

A few pages back, but this mod adds a chest that you stick stuff in to have it converted to its gold value. It's brand new and I don't plan on using it so I can't attest to its usefulness, and its effects are automatic.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

verbal enema posted:

So I unistalled Skyrim last year and just recently reinstalled it.

All my modsi left laying on my computer work fine and I've even tacked on 10 more. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

Should have left my ENB alone now I've had to reinstall for real and the new ENB I have right now is giving me insane graphic glitches. Anything you guys think I might have hosed up?

Dropped the ENB dll and its files into the Skyrim Folder, got CoT and ELFX, grabbed Project ENB and everything seemed fine on install but when I go outside its just like my graphics card is melting.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Did you grab the updated version of ProjectENB? How about the updated enb binaries? IIRC the guy behind Project said that it wouldn't be compatible with modern enb versions (anything above .201 I think)

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Scyantific posted:

Did you grab the updated version of ProjectENB? How about the updated enb binaries? IIRC the guy behind Project said that it wouldn't be compatible with modern enb versions (anything above .201 I think)

I'll check really quick.

Yeah I got .221 which is what the ProjectENB is using as well.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Uninstalled and I'm going to let it download and reinstall while I'm at work. Try things fresh again.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

:downs:

I miss the Skyrim Pictures and Stories thread.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Yeah, let's get some more pics and stories happening in this thread. I would share mine, but my rig barely runs the vanilla game at medium settings - forget about pretty ENBs.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

:confused:

:toot:

*Two snow bears followed me for like a mile to Winterhold, I didn't know animals could enter buildings and was turning in a quest to the Jarl when I heard roaring

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 4, 2014

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

Frostfall question: Is it right for my cold meter to be staying at 50% while in a snowstorm, but sitting next to a fire in a fur tent? Placing the fire it was yellow (not blue) so I figured it would warm the tent, but I am getting the message saying that the fire isn't fully warming me. Is something broken?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Ok I'm getting ready to install an ENB.

Gimmie the steps I don't want to gently caress this up again.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

verbal enema posted:

:siren:BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING WITH THE ROOT SKYRIM FOLDER, MAKE AN ENTIRE COPY OF THE CLEAN INSTALL AND PUT IT SOMEWHERE ELSE AND LABEL IT AS SUCH.:siren:
That way if you you have to go nuclear on your current install, you don't have to spend eternity downloading it again.

Scyantific posted:

Ok, remove all ENB related files from your Skyrim directory.
Then go the ENB website and download whatever ENB version the preset you want to use is calling for.
Once you download the original binary files (the ones directly from Boris' site), ONLY copy/paste d3d9.dll from the WRAPPER VERSION into your Skyrim directory the same way you would install SKSE.
Once you've done that, follow the rest of the readme file that usually comes with most major/popular ENB presets.
Afterward, go into enblocal.ini and adjust your VideoMemorySizeMB value to an appropriate one. That pretty much covers installing an ENB preset.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

verbal enema posted:

1. Download this
2. Drop the d3d9.dll into your main skyrim directory.
3. Download a user made preset like phinix enb. There are bunch of other enbs but thats the one I use and it doesn't drop my fps by too much.
4. Extract the files into your skyrim folder.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 4, 2014

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i see now what i was doing wrong

the file from boris' sight i was dumping the whole thing into my skyrim folder

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Scyantific do you have a link to the ENB you use?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

verbal enema posted:

Scyantific do you have a link to the ENB you use?

Quietcool is the one I use. http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/16998/

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Holy poo poo that might be the one I was using before. I just like the color pop for some ENBs but they can get icky fast.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Okay, I'm pretty hardware-ignorant, so I need some help and this is probably the best place I can ask.

I was just given a gtx-580 by a Nexus user, since I mentioned that one of the two very old GTS-240s I had in this computer died.

Now, I thought it would work, but now I realize I dont have an 8-pin Power-Supply plug in my computer. Does anyone here have any experience using something like this to get the required power?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Agents are GO! posted:

Now, I thought it would work, but now I realize I dont have an 8-pin Power-Supply plug in my computer. Does anyone here have any experience using something like this to get the required power?

Yeah, I used to use one of those for my GTX-260 (which needed two loving 8-pins). Worked great.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Decided to get back into Skyrim after a couple years away, got some questions.

Are there any Skyrim.ini tweaks I'd want to do that would improve the game with no downsides?

I want to just stumble on tons of new things and wonder if they were vanilla or mod added, anyone have some quest and dungeon recommendations?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Sometimes I wonder if some dungeon I found is modded or vanilla...and I don't even use quest/dungeon mods. Skyrim dungeon quality..not very good.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Farecoal posted:

*Two snow bears followed me for like a mile to Winterhold, I didn't know animals could enter buildings and was turning in a quest to the Jarl when I heard roaring

I had a really weird one happen the other night and I'm not sure what caused it. On a new character, I went into Riverwood, recruited Faendal, and headed over toward his house. He didn't follow, but the fight music started playing. I went into his house and the fight music continued inside, then a boar started attacking me inside his house, so I killed it. I left his house and a courier came up to me and delivered me Faendal's will, saying he had died and left everything to me. :confused:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

k-spar posted:

Frostfall question: Is it right for my cold meter to be staying at 50% while in a snowstorm, but sitting next to a fire in a fur tent? Placing the fire it was yellow (not blue) so I figured it would warm the tent, but I am getting the message saying that the fire isn't fully warming me. Is something broken?

Nah, a fur tent should let you warm up fully if I member. If there is a cutoff, it's definitely not -50. Sometimes Frostfall stops updating exposure, I'd just use the reset in the mod menu.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Got modded skyrim up and running thanks to this thread!

A few (hopefully final) questions-

I'm using the Project Reality ENB settings and it incoporates the Depth of Field that blurs out everything I'm not actively staring at. It seems kinda annoying? Do you tend to play with it on, or just switch it on for scenic shots? What can I do to disable it?

Grumio fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 4, 2014

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

sticklefifer posted:

I had a really weird one happen the other night and I'm not sure what caused it. On a new character, I went into Riverwood, recruited Faendal, and headed over toward his house. He didn't follow, but the fight music started playing. I went into his house and the fight music continued inside, then a boar started attacking me inside his house, so I killed it. I left his house and a courier came up to me and delivered me Faendal's will, saying he had died and left everything to me. :confused:

Did you install the insurance fraud mod? jkjk

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I am having an issue with a mod that I think may require me to uninstall the mod, clean my save game, and reinstall the mod again. What program should I use to clean my saved games and how do they work? Specifically, am I risking them breaking things in my save? I will create a back up of course but I am nervous because something might break and I may not realize it until much later.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Agents are GO! posted:

Okay, I'm pretty hardware-ignorant, so I need some help and this is probably the best place I can ask.

I was just given a gtx-580 by a Nexus user, since I mentioned that one of the two very old GTS-240s I had in this computer died.

Make SURE that it's wired for PCI-E, not EPS. The ground and 12v wires are flipped. Other than that, just make sure that you've got the power spread out across different PSU rails if you can.

You can also get 1/2x 6-pin to 8pin adapters if you look hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

Nah, a fur tent should let you warm up fully if I member. If there is a cutoff, it's definitely not -50. Sometimes Frostfall stops updating exposure, I'd just use the reset in the mod menu.

Figured out that I had to actually use my bedroll to be considered "in" the tent I guess. While I'm sitting or lying on the bedroll I warm up, if I'm just crouched in the tent, I cool down. This is how it's supposed to work, yes?

• Locked thread