Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Casu Marzu posted:

the boots that cover the axle to the differential are almost completely broken off and are leaking something that looks like chocolate milkshake. How bad is this/how costly is it to get fixed?

Easiest way to fix it is to simply replace axles, they're not too expensive and it's an easy fix. Otherwise you can replace boots, it's not a crazy involved process or anything, but you'll need decent snap ring pliers and prepare to get a bit messy. There's lots of guides online, but if that's not your thing and you'd rather take it to a shop, just get new axles, the labour for the boots will make a simple axle replacement a much more attractive option.

E: the chocolate milkshake is just the grease that's been mixed with water, which makes sense if the boots are torn/failed. It's normal, wouldn't worry about considering the state of the boots.

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Aug 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bajaha posted:

Easiest way to fix it is to simply replace axles, they're not too expensive and it's an easy fix. Otherwise you can replace boots, it's not a crazy involved process or anything, but you'll need decent snap ring pliers and prepare to get a bit messy. There's lots of guides online, but if that's not your thing and you'd rather take it to a shop, just get new axles, the labour for the boots will make a simple axle replacement a much more attractive option.

E: the chocolate milkshake is just the grease that's been mixed with water, which makes sense if the boots are torn/failed. It's normal, wouldn't worry about considering the state of the boots.

Good to know. Looks like I'm gonna finally get a Subaru.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
That is an adorable license plate.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

AcidRonin posted:

Woa where did you get that WRX plate delete? I have been looking for one that doesn't have a parts manufacture on it.

I got it from a company called Subtle Solutions. It's a bit pricy at $55 but it's high quality all around.

JDAMS CURE PASHTUN posted:

That is an adorable license plate.

Should have seen the death glare the lady at the DMV gave me when she said it out loud.

si
Apr 26, 2004

itskage posted:

I will probably just give up and order one.

Edit: it's just frustrating because they are basically listing cars that they have already sold just to get you to contact them.

I don't get it, why do you specifically want a stocked one? I always hear about people griping that dealers charge more for stocked WRXs, or don't have enough. They'll order you one in whatever config you want, and it's cheaper.

Only time it makes sense to buy a car that's been on a lot is when it's not a current MY.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

So, one additional follow-up. The owner slapped on two rear tires on Saturday before I looked at the car. I haven't measured the difference, but it looked greater than 1/4" between the front and rear. Would I be risking major damage driving that a hundred or so miles home or should I be making an appointment right after I pick the car up?

si
Apr 26, 2004
You shouldn't even drive it to a tire shop with tires off like that.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

si posted:

Welp. Good to know.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

si posted:

This is why I'm hesitant to buy a used Subaru. If there is 80k miles or whatever, you are trusting that the owner(s) had 4 identical tread tires the entire 80k or whatever miles. I don't trust that. Most don't know with Subaru's you need close to identical tread on all four. If not, you need to replace all of them. Doubt most do that and that's frightening.

I can see the paycheck to paycheck kid owner of a WRX: nail in one tire? $220/each?? No way. Just replace one, thanks!

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Aug 31, 2014

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Please tell me all of the reasons I shouldn't go buy this Legacy GT (aside from the tires definitely needing replacement)

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

si posted:

I don't get it, why do you specifically want a stocked one? I always hear about people griping that dealers charge more for stocked WRXs, or don't have enough. They'll order you one in whatever config you want, and it's cheaper.

Only time it makes sense to buy a car that's been on a lot is when it's not a current MY.

Two reasons.

1) You get to see it touch it drive it etc before you actually make any kind of commitment to it. Stupid stuff like the ability to plug in my phone to see how it works with the head unit or fit a car seat in it aren't huge issues or deal breakers but I just want to see the car with what I want so I can be sure it will be satisfactory before I put anything down and wait 3 months.

2) My local dealer quoted 3-4 months for one. If I found one sitting on a lot of another dealer 100 miles away I wouldn't mind making the drive to solve issue #1 and get it faster than if I ordered one. This would be pretty straight forward if dealers weren't putting cars online that they don't actually have in stock.

So yeah ordering would be best if I was sure it's what I wanted, but I'm not. I want to see it or at least something close like another color or something. But the whole process trying to get a test drive right now is just a crap shoot.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Deeters posted:

Please tell me all of the reasons I shouldn't go buy this Legacy GT (aside from the tires definitely needing replacement)

Read page one of my thread...

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Deeters posted:

Get a good PPI and a leak down. Don't let anyone talk you out of a leak down.
Also, I bet you it hasn't had a TB belt done.
Finally, that price is interesting. I suspect it to be a bit low if the car is in good condition.

nm fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 1, 2014

si
Apr 26, 2004

itskage posted:

Two reasons.

1) You get to see it touch it drive it etc before you actually make any kind of commitment to it. Stupid stuff like the ability to plug in my phone to see how it works with the head unit or fit a car seat in it aren't huge issues or deal breakers but I just want to see the car with what I want so I can be sure it will be satisfactory before I put anything down and wait 3 months.

Try your local NASIOC or such if you can't a dealer one. Someone will probably let you try it out, or otherwise share with you pictures/etc of theirs. If you're worried about things like headunit capabilities, do not buy a Subaru. They're always like 5 years behind the world in terms of "ICE" features.

The other option there is that Subarus are a very shared platform. Test out a 2015 Impreza or Crosstrek, it'll be the same stuff anyhow.

Or just find a 2011-14 and do all of the above and save some $

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

nm posted:

Finally, that price is interesting. I suspect it to be a bit low if the car is in good condition.

That's what I was thinking as well. The last time I looked up a Legacy (in CT in stead of VA) I was finding automatics around $15k

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Deeters posted:

That's what I was thinking as well. The last time I looked up a Legacy (in CT in stead of VA) I was finding automatics around $15k

15k on the other hand is a joke for a manual. The 8k price is probably about right for an auto or sedan in good condition

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
Finally got the center diff off the STi. It took a air chisel and some creative thinking.

Now to try to find what the part number is for the oil pump gear.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
For those of you with the '15 WRX's, how is the SI Drive? I wasn't a huge fan of it in my old 08 STI, but I've heard it's been improved in the 15s?

The placement on the steering wheel seems like it'd be nicer.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

G-Mach posted:

Finally got the center diff off the STi. It took a air chisel and some creative thinking.

Now to try to find what the part number is for the oil pump gear.
That's a new one to me. Did you see anything that got jammed in there to cause that? How do the splines inside the diff and off the driven shaft/front pinion look?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
So I was looking at my tires, and the inside of my front driver-side is nearly bald. (I've got some more on order because they are about due anyways)

It's always had a very slight pull to the left that I've complained about a few times to the dealer (car is a little over a year old).

Looking more closely at it myself, the affected wheel well has about 1.5cm less gap between the tire and top of the well.

I'm taking it back I to the dealer Tuesday to have them look at the strut. Could a bad strut cause that kind of drop and give the wheel enough camber to cause this kind of wear? Or am I crazy?

edit: Oops, meant to put this in the stupid question thread. :(

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 1, 2014

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

G-Mach posted:

Finally got the center diff off the STi.

Yowza.. Glad you finally got it off. Was anything else damaged?

Linux Nazi posted:

So I was looking at my tires, and the inside of my front driver-side is nearly bald. (I've got some more on order because they are about due anyways)

It's always had a very slight pull to the left that I've complained about a few times to the dealer (car is a little over a year old).

Looking more closely at it myself, the affected wheel well has about 1.5cm less gap between the tire and top of the well.

I'm taking it back I to the dealer Tuesday to have them look at the strut. Could a bad strut cause that kind of drop and give the wheel enough camber to cause this kind of wear? Or am I crazy?

edit: Oops, meant to put this in the stupid question thread. :(

When's the last time you had an alignment?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Dealer tech friend says a lot of the newer cars CAME OFF THE TRUCK with a bad alignment.... Yeah.

So they're doing a lot of warranty tires and alignments these days.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I may or may not have had to do alignemnts on a subarus that were very new. Dealership LIFE. But we did have a 2015 forrester that some lovely customer managed to destroy the inner and outer tie rods on. P.S. thanks crook county for taking care of our streets.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

McSpatula posted:

When's the last time you had an alignment?

When I first noticed the pull I had the dealer align it and it felt exactly the same after. So either they didn't bother, their alignment was poo poo, or there's some other factor.

This was at maybe 7k. It's right at 19k now.

It's just strange, a very slight pull to the left. Sometimes I need to correct for it, and other times I don't. It seems to be very much influenced by the road vs my old WRX or FRS.

If anybody knows of a good alignment shop in Phoenix, please let me know. I don't mind paying for somebody who knows what they are doing to make sure it drives straight.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006
Do you have a printout of the specs they aligned things to? If not, get one next time you have things done.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Where is the best place to get the OEM crossbars at (for a '13 WRX)? Local NASIOC?

I've been looking around for nearly a month now, and they get snatched up INSTANTLY. Should I just go to the dealer and pay the $175?

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

jamal posted:

That's a new one to me. Did you see anything that got jammed in there to cause that? How do the splines inside the diff and off the driven shaft/front pinion look?

A couple of buddies and I were thinking that when the diff went it warmed up and just got stuck in place along with the two gears chewing themselves up. The splines inside of the diff and off the driven shaft weirdly look ok. I just have to order a new oil pump gear it seems. Lucky I guess.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
So I'm looking up part numbers for the oil pump gear (31358AA060) and it looks like the gear and shaft are supposed to be one piece.
I'm able to slide the bad gear off and on the shaft very easily. Hopefully I'll be able to take the new unit apart and just be able to put the new gear on the shaft. I'd rather not have to take the oil pump assembly further apart. Looking around the internet it seems like I'm in pretty uncharted territory.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
For anyone thinking about getting the Cobb AP for their 2015 WRX, I'd say hold out for awhile. I just drove a buddy's WRX with the latest tune available and both our consensus is that it drives worse. The power band is smoothed out over the range so you get good power throughout but the engine revs noticeably slower and the throttle response is completely lackluster. After driving the tuned version we flashed back to stock and difference was night and day with the stock tune having much more response. I have a tuned 13 STI and the difference the Cobb made was clearly an improvement but the tune for the 15 is not (so far at least). He's going to get it pro tuned as soon as possible and hopefully they can iron out some of the off the shelf shortcomings.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

I forgot to post a pic but I took that outside the tire shop when I got my tires put on the RPF1s (and got them to put them on the car at the same time)

I really like them, just need some low.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Slow is Fast posted:

Dealer tech friend says a lot of the newer cars CAME OFF THE TRUCK with a bad alignment.... Yeah.

Whats changed? Every Subaru I've gotten from the dealer has had poo poo alignments and been tyre munchers.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

pctD posted:

For anyone thinking about getting the Cobb AP for their 2015 WRX, I'd say hold out for awhile. I just drove a buddy's WRX with the latest tune available and both our consensus is that it drives worse. The power band is smoothed out over the range so you get good power throughout but the engine revs noticeably slower and the throttle response is completely lackluster. After driving the tuned version we flashed back to stock and difference was night and day with the stock tune having much more response.

Yeah the throttle map is totally poo poo right now. I hope Cobb gets on the ball soon and produces something nice, but it'll take time. It's a non-trivial amount of work.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Finally got around to listing my car:
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2006-outback-xt-limited-super-low-miles-loaded-stage-2-229993.html

Any advice?
Am I asking too much, too little, reasonable? Anything else I should do to get it sold? Can I still post in this thread once the car sells?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
,14000 seems like too much for a car from 2006, but I'm not learned in these matters.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I forgot to post a pic but I took that outside the tire shop when I got my tires put on the RPF1s (and got them to put them on the car at the same time)

I really like them, just need some low.

I have some Prodrive springs for sale if you want...

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I'm excited and confused.
http://wot.motortrend.com/1409_spied_subaru_wrx_hatchback_lives_on_after_all.html

It looks like the front body panels of the WRX was slapped onto Impreza hatchback with modifications to conform to the new front end. Hence, the inset gas cap since they probably didn't have the opportunity to modify the fuel system. The apparent lack of a tailpipe and blocked off hood scoop is more likely because it is a very early prototype that doesn't have a complete exhaust system or the WRX's fully tuned engine. Far more likely than this being an electric Impreza.

This, however, wreaks of a rush job. It's as if Subaru underestimated the backlash from not offering the WRX as a hatchback and needed a solution much sooner than they could deliver a proper WRX hatchback successor if at all. So, they decided that modifying the Impreza to fit in the WRX's new clothes and muscles was more economical than fast tracking the design of the successor or bringing the Levorg over from Japan.

Still, I love my 2012 Impreza hatchback so if it handles just as well I'll be satisfied. However, I haven't driven the 2015 WRX or its predecessors so I don't know how they compare to my Impreza. The bodywork needs to be improved as well but that goes without saying. :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Nah, all of Subaru's engineering prototypes look like dogshit.

I mean, this is the BRZ:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

In my recent BRZ shopping, every dealer I talked to said that not having a WRX hatch was hurting them quite a bit and that people practically murdered each other fighting over the last of the 2014 hatches.

We all knew the reason they gave for no hatch was utter bullshit. The real reason is they're selling too many Crosstreks to have assembly capacity for a WRX hatch.

They are moving a chunk of Impreza assembly to Indiana in 2016, so it would make sense for the WRX hatch to be in development now for release near the end of 2015 or the beginning of 2016 as a 2017 model.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 3, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

bull3964 posted:

In my recent BRZ shopping, every dealer I talked to said that not having a WRX hatch was hurting them quite a bit and that people practically murdered each other fighting over the last of the 2014 hatches.

We all knew the reason they gave for no hatch was utter bullshit. The real reason is they're selling too many Crosstreks to have assembly capacity for a WRX hatch.

They are moving a chunk of Impreza assembly to Indiana in 2016, so it would make sense for the WRX hatch to be in development now for release near the end of 2016 or the beginning of 2015 as a 2017 model.

I was just at the dealer today and heard the exact same thing FWIW. They got a whole trailer delivery of XVs while I was there. I hate that loving car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!

Geirskogul posted:

,14000 seems like too much for a car from 2006, but I'm not learned in these matters.

I'm not either, hence the questions.

I guess the best way to tell is if there's interest. If not, the price drops until I decide I'd rather keep it.