Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
What's the custom for selling prize packs after a prerelease? I won the M15 one I went to and they just sat on my shelves for a few weeks until I gave in, opened them, and got nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Duskfiend posted:

I just realized I could probably also run Ob-Nixilis and break fetchlands :3

Gb Devotion, Chording him out in resp to your opponent cracking a fetch. That's living the dream.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

AlsoD posted:

What's the custom for selling prize packs after a prerelease? I won the M15 one I went to and they just sat on my shelves for a few weeks until I gave in, opened them, and got nothing.
To other people on eBay? Nobody cares probably.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Sickening posted:

Isn't selling to other players pretty much what you want to do if you like money?

For lots of people, the ease of selling to a dealer is worth a cut off the top. Plus you don't have to pay shipping if it's at an event.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

JerryLee posted:

I've been thinking about which delve card(s) from FS they might reprint. Tombstalker is both potentially playable and relatively inoffensive, but I don't recall if non-cat demons are a part of Tarkir. Death Rattle is perfectly reprintable but would be worse than usual in a heavily multicolor environment. This might be a mark either in favor of or against reprinting it, depending on R&D's perspective. And Logic Knot is also pretty inoffensive. Really they're all pretty safe cards to reprint, but all else being equal an effectively UU counterspell is probably going to be among the scariest cards from an environment sculpting perspective.

Looks like Necropolis Fiend is already filling the role of big(ish) flying demon with delve

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Thanks for the advice everybody! I'll let y'all know how it goes. I'm mostly going for fun with a few friends but we'll see if any success comes of it.

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!

mcmagic posted:

Gb Devotion, Chording him out in resp to your opponent cracking a fetch. That's living the dream.

Or Prophet of Kruphix. And Kruphix. heh

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Duskfiend posted:

Or Prophet of Kruphix. And Kruphix. heh

No Kruphix is terrible.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Wurzag posted:

Looks like Necropolis Fiend is already filling the role of big(ish) flying demon with delve
Oh durr. I somehow forgot about him already. Yeah we're probably not getting Tombstalker unless they move him to uncommon or something.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

JerryLee posted:

Oh durr. I somehow forgot about him already. Yeah we're probably not getting Tombstalker unless they move him to uncommon or something.
I think that'd be reasonable because he's a 5/5 Flier and that's it. Then again that being cast for 2BB or less would be dangerous.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sickening posted:

I thought that all the big events hated individuals trying to sell stuff and have made rules against it? Start city games definitely does.

I meant selling to a dealer. Like sell your singles on tcg then take left over bulk to an event and sell to a dealer

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
tombstalker is way too powerful for standard.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

A big flaming stink posted:

Necropolis Fiend just has 1 less power, 1 more cost, and a very good repeatable activated ability. I'd say Tombstalker is either on curve or slightly below it if the cards we've seen so far are any indication.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

A big flaming stink posted:

It totally isn't. They're just not going to use it if they already have a similar creature in the same design space.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Don't think I saw this one posted but I'll put this in all of my EDH decks forever because gently caress you relic of progenitus etc etc

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013

netcat posted:

Don't think I saw this one posted but I'll put this in all of my EDH decks forever because gently caress you relic of progenitus etc etc

shouldn't it be spelled Rakshasa?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

GoldenPrice posted:

shouldn't it be spelled Rakshasa?

It's a mockup so I guess it's a typo.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

netcat posted:

Ooh I do like him

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Looks to be the Anti-Hoser for BUG graveyard shenanigans. I like it a lot.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I really want this to be playbable. The goblin just has this look I am really digging.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

That is a massive goddamn goblin... Surprised it's not in Speed vs Cunning though...

5 mana 3/3 with firststrike, deathtouch, haste, and it shares that "auto-win combat" with all of your other creatures... On a goblin...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ugh so good but 5 mana seems like too much for the decks that want him...

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

netcat posted:

It's a mockup so I guess it's a typo.

Raksha, Rakshasa, and Rakasha are all approximately the same thing anyway, but Rakasha is the spelling used in Lord of Light, so I'm hoping it wins. (But it won't, cos D&D.)

mcmagic posted:

Ugh so good but 5 mana seems like too much for the decks that want him...

This guy is unbearably severe in the right deck. Mardu Midrange? Mardunge?

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Cool name shame about the mana. Guess he'll be good in limited in any case though

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I cannot wait to shank some ankles.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I won my store's 20-something person modern tournament last night with this. It was the first time I had actually played the deck.

Round 1 vs. some BW thing full of discard and Gatekeeper of Malakir and Phyrexian Obliterators. Shackles were the all-star here. If you've never stolen Obliterator and put your Batterskull on it, you're not living. Game 1 took just over 40 minutes. My sideboarding was really, really bad but I was trying to go quick so we could maybe get another game in. Something like -1 Pyroclasm, Thirst, Keranos, +2 Blood Moon (Game 1 I saw 1 Swamp and something like 8 basics) +1 Dispel for all his removal. Sideboarding, shuffling, etc. brought us to about 5. I played really badly trying to give him a fair chance to win instead of just countering everything, but it didn't matter. My Batterskull came down the turn after his Obliterator. Time came up on his next turn, and neither of us got there in time (although I was probably going to win the race by Batterskulling a Clique.)

Round 2 vs. Scapeshift. I lost game 1 to slight flood plus no counters except for Mana Leak, which doesn't work against 8 lands. Shackles, Keranos, Pyroclasm, Pillar of Flame, 1 Huntmaster, and 1 Thirst came out. Glen Elandra Archmage, Negate, Dispel, Counterflux, 3 Blood Moon came in. Game 2, I played Snapcaster, Clique, Archmage, and kept a hand full of counters. Game 3, he had me dead for 3 turns but didn't cast Scapeshift into my 4 card had and 6 untapped lands. The turn he decided to go for it, I had drawn Counterflux. I knew his last card was Scapeshift, so I was probably still dead. My next draw: Snapcaster. I wish I could say I made the pro play and cast Snappy on his upkeep, but that play didn't occur to me until Scapeshift was on the stack. Fortunately, the Snapcaster he drew didn't have anything to counter my Snapcaster, and he didn't have enough mana to Snapcaster-Telling Time into something that could counter it.

Round 3 vs. Burn. Nothing much to report. His first modern event. Game 1, a turn 3 2/3 Goyf with some counter backup got there. Keranos, 2 Shackles come out. Dispel, Negate, and Glen Elandra Archmage came in. Game 2, Bolt his Goblin Guide, Snap-Bolt, Clique, Archmage gets there easily.

Round 4 vs. Melira Pod. Almost as much of a grind as round 1. I don't really know Pod, so I never know what to expect. There were several times in game 1 when I was pretty sure I was dead. He podded a Finks into a Redcap to kill my Huntmaster, leaving me with a Wolf and a stolen Shriekmaw. I had to counter his Qasali Pridemage 3 times before he finally got it back with Reveillark to use it on my Shackles, again leaving me with a Wolf and Batterskull and very little hope. The Shackles pretty much removed his ability to attack profitably, and Explosives on 2 kept him from comboing with Melira. Engineered Explosives, Pyroclasm, 1 Thirst for Knowledge, and 1 Spell Snare came out for 3 Blood Moon and 1 Ancient Grudge. This game started at around 12 minutes. I kept 4 Misty, Forest, Batterskull, Serum Visions. He played a turn 4 Thrun. Naturally, I drew Blood Moon (which I never ended up casting) and he fetched out all basics. Fortunately, I drew nonlands and held Thrun off with Huntmaster, flashy Cliques, etc. Pillar of Flame kept his Finks from recurring once I started turning the game around with Batterskull and Clique. His Thrun pretty quickly became a blocker, putting us at a standstill except for my Clique Bolting him every turn. It ended up dead along with a Snappy thanks to Orzhov Pontiff. Fortunately, he tapped out to do it, and I drew a Cryptic. My Batterskull and Wolf token got in for exactly lethal. I'm not a great player, but I played really well these 2 games in particular. I could have easily lost at least half a dozen times.

Round 5 vs. Infect. We split. Top 2 prizes were box/9 packs, so the winner of this round got the extra pack. Game 1 I lost pretty badly. Turn 5 Shackles got Spell pierced, which I paid, because I didn't have anything useful in my hand anyway. He killed me on his turn 5. I don't remember exactly what I sideboarded - Counters, Combusts etc. in and Pyroclasm, Pillar of Flame, Cryptics and Spell Snares out probably. Game 2, Goyf into Blood Moon was all I needed. I put the Snares back in for game 3. I kept 3 lands, Bolt, Ancient Grudge, Blood Moon, Snappy. I had to play some disruption to bait out his Spell Pierces before I could run the Moon out. My Bolt on his Inkmoth got Pierced. The next turn, my Blood Moon turned all his lands but a Tarn into Mountains. Combust on his Blighted Agent got countered as it suddenly gained pro-red, putting him at 5 life vs. my 5-power Goyf. Fortunately, I had 3 Snapcasters in my hand, so the 2nd Combust finished it. I had drawn a Bolt that turn too, just in case his Agent gained pro-red again.

I really like this deck. It's the first modern deck I've really enjoyed playing. It's more or less Reid Duke's version of something I had been wanting to make for a while. I never actually drew the Keranos, but it probably should have been the 3rd Shackles. They're just way too good not to have 3. Unfortunately, I sold my 3rd and 4th Shackles, so I'll have to get replacements. There were definitely a few times I would've loved to have Keranos out, though, in particular against Pod, so I'll probably keep one in the sideboard. The Glen Elandra Archmage out of the sideboard was also really good. I'll probably try to make room for a 2nd.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Wurzag posted:

Cool name shame about the mana. Guess he'll be good in limited in any case though

Could he have been a 1/1 for 3 mana and not have been broken? Probably not...

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Um, gently caress yes. I cannot express how utterly potent first strike and deathtouch is. That'd break limited and push well into constructed.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

mcmagic posted:

True, at least that would have made him even easier to blow up the second he hit the board

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Has anyone had a particularly good/bad experience selling to buylists for SCG or Channel Fireball? I have some cards that I want to sell and I'd rather not deal with the hassle of eBay, if the difference isn't that large for some cards.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Goblins is going to be a thing in standard. There are too many good goblin pieces for it not to be. I think this is why there were no goblins in Theros. It's like they knew...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Gensuki posted:

Goblins is going to be a thing in standard. There are too many good goblin pieces for it not to be. I think this is why there were no goblins in Theros. It's like they knew...

I'm still waiting to see what 1 and 2 drop Goblins there are going to be to slot into Rabble Red when Loyalist and Cackler rotate out.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Elysiume posted:

Has anyone had a particularly good/bad experience selling to buylists for SCG or Channel Fireball? I have some cards that I want to sell and I'd rather not deal with the hassle of eBay, if the difference isn't that large for some cards.

I've sold to Channel Fireball for credit and it was pretty simple. It took about a few days after they received them to get my credit though due to them making sure the cards were in the right condition and all that. My coworker did the same thing for cash and had a decent experience.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Wurzag posted:

It looks like Khans might be slightly slower in standard, so I could see him as a curve topper in Mardu.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I'm still waiting to see what 1 and 2 drop Goblins there are going to be to slot into Rabble Red when Loyalist and Cackler rotate out.

I will be astonished if there is not some Mardu or Temur goblin costing B, R, or maybe even some hybrid including W with a tiny, meaningless effect. (Raid- deal 1 damag to target player?)

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
I imagine they tried Ankle Shanker as a 2/2 for 1RWB at some point, but they came to the same conclusion as I did: T3 rabble, T4 this guy on the play would have been absolutely loving filthy if you didn't already have an answer.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

I want to play this in my EDH Goblins deck but then I'd have to change out my commander from Shattergang Brothers, and debate on removing green for white (because I like having Survival of the Fittest and Gaea's Cradle). :smith:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Mercury Crusader posted:

I want to play this in my EDH Goblins deck but then I'd have to change out my commander from Shattergang Brothers, and debate on removing green for white (because I like having Survival of the Fittest and Gaea's Cradle). :smith:

Surprising that there are no 4 color legendary creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Elysiume posted:

I've sold to CF before and it was painless, but not super fast. The one thing about them is that they grade very harshly, which is great when buying, but not as nice when selling.

• Locked thread