Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Drastic Actions posted:

New Windows Phone/Windows 8 Awful Forums Reader Build should be dropping soon, with the changes I've already mentioned as well as a few bug fixes (And probably, a few more bugs. We'll see :v:)

Thank god, a new reader for 8.0. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

Guillermus posted:

Hey WP users, I've been an android user for the last four years and, while I plan on keep mainly using android, I'll be switching carriers soonish and I don't plan on upgrading my phone (currently a Galaxy S4 with a custom rom). I'm here because my carrier will offer me a few free phones (or extremely cheap) and the Lumia 925 (for 1 extra euro/month for 24, making it an hilarious 24€ total) is one of the options. I've googled information about it and seems like a decent device and I want to mess with WP 8.1.

Will I be able to remove carrier apps and other bloatware? Will the 925 give me a good impression about how windows phones are?

Nothing wrong with it per se, I'd just not burn an upgrade on a phone that came out that long ago when you can pick up a 520 for as low as $40 on sale pretty often. Let that be your test phone, then use the upgrade on any new device coming up. With that being said, I think the 925 is still a great device. Yes you can remove every app from the carrier or even MS unless it's a core app like Music or Photos, etc.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
Any word on 8.1 for the 920? Getting really tired of waiting.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

wormil posted:

Same here. Keep up the good work, Drastic. Still waiting for 8.1 to get here for the Icon.

vvvvv Boooo :(

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 1, 2014

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

wormil posted:

8.1. It's a WinRT Universal App. Sorry :(.

EDIT: Let me give a bit more detail on this -

Awful Forums Reader is a universal app. It started as a Windows 8.1 app, that I ported to Windows Phone once Universal Apps (WinRT) support came out. That was really easy, since it's the basically the same. I just had to make some new views.

I have no intention to port it back further to Windows Phone 8.0. I would have to rewrite good parts of my app just to support it, and I don't think it's worth the effort to maintain a third version when, hopefully, more people will start to get 8.1. I did send patches to Awful. to get some of the forum breaking bugs fixed, but so far nothing has come of it, as far as I know. If nothing else, I could just release my own version of it with those fixes.

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Any word on 8.1 for the 920? Getting really tired of waiting.

If you get the dev preview build, you should still get Cyan when it comes up. My 1020 updated to it and it was on the dev 8.1 builds. My 920 has the same build, and seems to be working just fine. But I don't use it as a phone anymore. Beyond that, I have no idea :shrug:.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 1, 2014

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

Nothing wrong with it per se, I'd just not burn an upgrade on a phone that came out that long ago when you can pick up a 520 for as low as $40 on sale pretty often. Let that be your test phone, then use the upgrade on any new device coming up. With that being said, I think the 925 is still a great device. Yes you can remove every app from the carrier or even MS unless it's a core app like Music or Photos, etc.

Being said, the 635 is completely free with my planned contract at the other hand but it has no flash to test out the camera :( (but the phone itself looks cool).

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Hey WP users, I've been an android user for the last four years and, while I plan on keep mainly using android, I'll be switching carriers soonish and I don't plan on upgrading my phone (currently a Galaxy S4 with a custom rom). I'm here because my carrier will offer me a few free phones (or extremely cheap) and the Lumia 925 (for 1 extra euro/month for 24, making it an hilarious 24 total) is one of the options. I've googled information about it and seems like a decent device and I want to mess with WP 8.1.

Will I be able to remove carrier apps and other bloatware? Will the 925 give me a good impression about how windows phones are?

The 925 is considered to be the best of the last generation. You should be able to get a good feel of what WP 8.1 can do, and uninstalling carrier apps is really easy. Just scroll to your apps list from the start screen, long press the app you don't want, and press uninstall.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

wookieepelt posted:

The 925 is considered to be the best of the last generation. You should be able to get a good feel of what WP 8.1 can do, and uninstalling carrier apps is really easy. Just scroll to your apps list from the start screen, long press the app you don't want, and press uninstall.

Thanks for the replies, the only "con" I hear from the 925 is the low battery capacity (2000mAh) but coming from android where the phones eat power and ram like there's no tomorrow shouldn't be a problem.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Hey, yell at your carrier, not me :cry:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Wow, I mention some missing features one day and they're patched in the next. Surely just luck on my part, but Awful Forums Reader is the poo poo.

Another app I'm looking for is something that will merge photos taken with the 635's camera. The Nokia camera app allows you to take a sequence of exposure-bracketed photos, but there doesn't appear to be a built-in function to merge the photos together for a pseudo-HDR effect. Searching for 'photo merge' in the app store seems to just return a bunch of collage creation programs. Is there anything out there that can do what I want?

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
For someone interested in a high end Windows Phone, would you recommend the One? Or waiting to see if Nokia puts out something soon?

Edit: On Verizon.

Anonononomous fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 2, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Anonononomous posted:

For someone interested in a high end Windows Phone, would you recommend the One? Or waiting to see if Nokia puts out something soon?

I'd rather have a 930 than a One, unless fancy pants stereo speakers are really that important to you. The speaker on the 930 is a backwards step from the one on the 920.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Anonononomous posted:

On VZW you're going to be looking at the Nokia Lumia Icon (929) or the HTC One W8.

One of the big differences I see getting thrown around is that the HTC already has the Cyan update while the Icon should be getting it soon. Both are 2014 releases with the Icon in February while the W8 being last month.

I have am Icon and it splits time with my Droid Maxx and I'm pretty happy with it.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 2, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Drastic - any plans for resizeable text in the app? I like micro-text on my 1520 :v:

Thanks

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Anonononomous posted:

Look at either the Lumia Icon or the HTC One for Windows in your nearest store and see which one fits your personal preference. I got my Icon in the beginning of July and am jealous of the DotView (?) case for the HTC One, but prefer Nokia and the better camera on the Icon. However, the HTC One has MicroSD support. Other than that, the specs are almost identical from what I've read.

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Another app I'm looking for is something that will merge photos taken with the 635's camera. The Nokia camera app allows you to take a sequence of exposure-bracketed photos, but there doesn't appear to be a built-in function to merge the photos together for a pseudo-HDR effect. Searching for 'photo merge' in the app store seems to just return a bunch of collage creation programs. Is there anything out there that can do what I want?
I don't know if it works on all phones, but there's an app in the store called HDR Photo Camera which does exactly that. It seems to work very well on my 930.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
It was silly of me to assume my new bank (Navy Federal) would have a Windows Phone app.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

hotsauce posted:

Drastic - any plans for resizeable text in the app? I like micro-text on my 1520 :v:

Thanks

The Windows 8 app has resizeable text, and the code is still present for it in the Windows Phone project. I just have to make a UI for it. I'll put it in soon.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anonononomous posted:

My mom's finally due to upgrade from her 822 soon and I'm advising her to buy the Icon. She really needs a Nokia-quality camera above all else, though; that's not everyone's top priority :shrug:

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
Checked in for a flight, they sent me a .pkpass file, which is the iOS Passbook format. This is my first time trying to use the Windows Phone Wallet app, and it apparently used to accept this for a bit, but now doesn't. :toot: Not a major deal since the airline has an app available that can display the boarding pass with tile, but odd that it was removed, unless Apple weren't happy about it.

Chamook
Nov 17, 2006

wheeeeeeeeeeeeee
There are a bunch of apps that claim to import them for you, but I haven't found anything reliable yet.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

I was at a bookstore this weekend and wanted to use the Bing Vision UPC scanner to instantly look it up on Amazon, but MS took that feature out. Used to be able to do it just by looking at the cover of the book, too. (This also worked on generic other products.) Not sure why a feature that worked and worked well needed to be removed from an OS that's already playing catch-up.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The Nokia camera app allows you to take a sequence of exposure-bracketed photos, but there doesn't appear to be a built-in function to merge the photos together for a pseudo-HDR effect. Searching for 'photo merge' in the app store seems to just return a bunch of collage creation programs. Is there anything out there that can do what I want?
I'm currently testing the 4Blend HDR camera to see if I can get away with having it done automatically instead of merging in post. But besides that I haven't found a decent app that merges photos in post.

LifeSizePotato posted:

I was at a bookstore this weekend and wanted to use the Bing Vision UPC scanner to instantly look it up on Amazon, but MS took that feature out. Used to be able to do it just by looking at the cover of the book, too. (This also worked on generic other products.) Not sure why a feature that worked and worked well needed to be removed from an OS that's already playing catch-up.

Because Microsoft Windows Phone 8.1 hates any company that has a phone.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Sep 2, 2014

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Because Microsoft Windows Phone 8.1 hates any company that has a phone.

It sounds eerily similar to the main differentiating feature of the Fire Phone, actually, so I'd 100% believe that Amazon put a stop to it.

I'm actually not sure of any situation where this sentence applies, come to think of it -- it certainly wasn't MS's idea to break the functionality of basically every Google service on WP.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

loquacius posted:

It sounds eerily similar to the main differentiating feature of the Fire Phone, actually, so I'd 100% believe that Amazon put a stop to it.

I'm actually not sure of any situation where this sentence applies, come to think of it -- it certainly wasn't MS's idea to break the functionality of basically every Google service on WP.

Wasn't this Google announcing they'd be switching to using calDAV/cardDAV well in advance of flipping the switch, Microsoft doing nothing about it, then getting up in arms because Google didn't let Microsoft dictate what they would do with their own services? Eventually then Microsoft relented and added support that they should have done already? Looks like Google services on Android use calDAV/cardDAV, so how exactly was this something wrong with what Google did?

Let me know if I missed something, but it looks like Google wanted to standardize how they have stuff connect to their services, there were no problems on iOS or Android with the switch, just Microsoft inexplicably burying their head in the sand to the detriment of Windows Phone users.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

(a) Microsoft didn't really have a reason to support Cal/CardDAV before Google switched, meaning "inexplicably burying their heads in the sand" is kind of a stretch on this one; (b) Gmail played perfectly nicely with Exchange before and the functionality had to be explicitly deactivated; (c) given Google's track record of shutting down every WP YouTube or Google Maps client they can track down I'm not really inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. :shrug:

(also point (c) was more what I was talking about than Gmail)

(like, their stated reason for not writing their own YouTube client for WP was "not enough marketshare, sorry", then when MS made one themselves Google shut it down because it didn't use API calls which Google had made it actually impossible for Microsoft to use)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

loquacius posted:

(a) Microsoft didn't really have a reason to support Cal/CardDAV before Google switched, meaning "inexplicably burying their heads in the sand" is kind of a stretch on this one; (b) Gmail played perfectly nicely with Exchange before and the functionality had to be explicitly deactivated; (c) given Google's track record of shutting down every WP YouTube or Google Maps client they can track down I'm not really inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. :shrug:

(also point (c) was more what I was talking about than Gmail)

(like, their stated reason for not writing their own YouTube client for WP was "not enough marketshare, sorry", then when MS made one themselves Google shut it down because it didn't use API calls which Google had made it actually impossible for Microsoft to use)

a) By bury their heads in the sand, I meant Google announced they would make this change, Microsoft knew about it in time to do something about it, and just ignored it.

b) See, from my point of view, Google has way too many side projects and poorly documented shortcuts/workarounds and redundant products/services and ways of doing things. It looks like they wanted to standardize some of that, which is a good thing. Why should they have a special workaround for company/OS x, when that company could use the same standard that others and Google themselves use?

It's like if Microsoft included Google Wave or Google Buzz integrated into WP, then Google said we're getting rid of these for our next soon-to-be-abandoned project Hangouts and Google+, and Microsoft didn't do anything about it in the months or years between that announcement and when the services were shut down. Now WP users lose out because Microsoft is slow or dumb or incompetent.

c) This sounds like the more legitimate gripe. I expect it has to do with ads on YouTube and Google not wanting to let people access it "for free" when they want to be serving ads. Frustrating to the users, for sure.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Has anyone noticed since getting 8.1 DP or Cyan that their volume has been totally hosed? I've got a 920 (AT&T), and ever since downloading the DP, not only have voice calls been rendered completely impossible because my mic doesn't seem to pick up my voice, but the output on the speakers for music/podcasts/speakerphone/directions seems to have been by maybe as much as 75%- the speaker is now so quiet that I can't listen to a podcast in bed if the fan across the room is blowing on the lowest setting. I'm hoping the proper update to Cyan might un-bork this, but it's pretty goddamn frustrating for my phone to be useless at making calls, serving as voice-nav, or listening to music.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I've encountered a new issue with Awful forums reader, since the update yesterday, when you load a thread it takes you directly to the bottom of the page containing your last read post instead of the post itself.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

The Lord Bude posted:

I've encountered a new issue with Awful forums reader, since the update yesterday, when you load a thread it takes you directly to the bottom of the page containing your last read post instead of the post itself.

Already know. It's because I'm hiding the webpage view until the page is "fully" loaded, and the javascript for scrolling to the right post does not work when the webview is hidden. It's already fixed and will be in the next release.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

Already know. It's because I'm hiding the webpage view until the page is "fully" loaded, and the javascript for scrolling to the right post does not work when the webview is hidden. It's already fixed and will be in the next release.

Thanks!

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Okay, it should be up in a few hours. Also added was change font size for threads.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Wow, SA forums becoming usable on WP 8.1 before my very eyes. I guess I chose a good time to get my iPhone stolen.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

b) See, from my point of view, Google has way too many side projects and poorly documented shortcuts/workarounds and redundant products/services and ways of doing things. It looks like they wanted to standardize some of that, which is a good thing. Why should they have a special workaround for company/OS x, when that company could use the same standard that others and Google themselves use?

It's like if Microsoft included Google Wave or Google Buzz integrated into WP, then Google said we're getting rid of these for our next soon-to-be-abandoned project Hangouts and Google+, and Microsoft didn't do anything about it in the months or years between that announcement and when the services were shut down. Now WP users lose out because Microsoft is slow or dumb or incompetent.

This would of course be an interesting point if it wasn't for Google still supporting ActiveSync just fine, grandfathering people who already used it in, and letting anyone paying for Google Apps use it. They just killed off the free version.

Besides that I am not about to give Google much benefit of doubt, every Google service breaks when communicating with Microsoft stuff an awful lot. May be well deserved, but hardly makes me more of a fan of Google.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I ended getting a 925 with my carrier switch and It'll arrive in a few days, what are the must-have apps aside from whatsapp? I want to give the camera a long test and I browse SA a lot with the android apps (awful&something).

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

Okay, it should be up in a few hours. Also added was change font size for threads.

I got it a few hours ago while I was at work. Looks good.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Guillermus posted:

I ended getting a 925 with my carrier switch and It'll arrive in a few days, what are the must-have apps aside from whatsapp? I want to give the camera a long test and I browse SA a lot with the android apps (awful&something).

Nokia Camera Beta is alright for everyday shooting. For live filters I'd recommend Camera360 (also can do fake HDR by using filters) and ProShot (does bracketing for slightly better HDR).

UC Browser is a pretty good web browser that lets you save offline copies of web pages and flash videos.

Jack of Tools Pro or #1 Toolkit are good for conversions and flashlights.

Awful Forums Reader :colbert:

Since Twitter/Facebook/Google/Youtube are banned in my country I don't really know anything about apps for them.

If your phone ends up coming with the Cyan + 8.1 update I'd be really curious to hear about the battery life.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Drastic Actions posted:

Also added was change font size for threads.

:drat: you're awesome! Thanks!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Probably not possible, but can I set my phone up so that contacts from different sources have different rings? I know I can set rings per person, but I'd rather have any calls from my exchange contact list have one ring, while my hotmail.com list has another.

I'd also like to have my different email accounts chime differently as well. Doesn't look like it, but I can hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Out of curiosity, what kind of storage usage are other 630/635 users seeing?

I've got all my music/pictures/whatever on SD card, but out of the 6.53 GB of space on my phone, a bit over 1/2 of that is used up by system files, which seems crazy (3.33 GB to be exact).