Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If you're in America, you can easily get it through Amazon. It should be in all sorts of hardware stores and even some supermarkets too.

If you're elsewhere, welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'm kind of surprised the Dijeh hasn't received an HG or Mg update.

I was looking at some custom kits and saw this:

What is the suit on the left?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Some details are off but it's a Geymalk from ZZ.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Ledenko posted:

Can you still get Future somewhere? A few years ago, I tried one of the alternatives that were said to be just as good but I can confirm it's useless as protection, only works for dipping transparent stuff like lenses.

This should help:

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I know it's not cost effective but I'll just buy some good airbrushable gloss and matte finishes when I'm actually doing painting. Still less of a hassle than getting a quart of liquid from wherever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ledenko posted:

I know it's not cost effective but I'll just buy some good airbrushable gloss and matte finishes when I'm actually doing painting. Still less of a hassle than getting a quart of liquid from wherever.

If you're us-based I haven't been in a grocery store that doesn't carry it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Ledenko posted:

This is the stuff you want - and I assure you, it's extremely easy and forgiving to airbrush on. It's in any grocery store or Walmart/Target, with the rest of the floor cleaners. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pledge-Floor-Care-27-fl-oz/15136693

Chiming in on airbrushing - I have had very good success with this as a basic airbrush. All I'm doing is getting paint on there, not freehanding any fancy designs or anything, but it works great. As long as you clean it between colors - 91% rubbing alcohol from your drugstore for acrylics, airbrush cleaner for lacquer (I've been using Alclad's lacquers and cleaner - this stuff works great) you're gonna do just fine. http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbru...rush+compressor

The downside: no moisture trap and you don't have a gauge to do psi readout, but you can eyeball it. Maxes out at 25psi, auto-start is at 15psi. For the price, it's done me just fine for a double-action airbrush and compressor.

Works fine outside, but I got the $80ish spray booth and exhaust hose. Next step: gotta figure out how I can run this thing out a basement window in the winter.

Anyway, here's my present stash, kept at the office. Had a non-grade GM Command given to me for free that I used to practice some seam hiding/painting, which is being retired to be used as a battle damage/weathering test dummy.

Also, a question: has anyone successfully pulled off the stressed and utilized vernier/thruster as portrayed here? Seems like a cool effect but for the life of me, when I apply the green and blue to finish, even if it's very light, it just looks bluish/greenish. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZBWn2kaL9M

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Hi fellas, I don't suppose someone's built the more recent max factory/ goodsmile 1/72 scale Dougram kits? How are they?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

ActionZero posted:

Some details are off but it's a Geymalk from ZZ.

I knew I had seen it some place but one-off mobile suits are hard to look up. I could dig an HG or MG of it though. The series is called Gundam and all, but I want more mono-eyes.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Potential BFF posted:

I knew I had seen it some place but one-off mobile suits are hard to look up. I could dig an HG or MG of it though. The series is called Gundam and all, but I want more mono-eyes.

To be fair it's a somewhat minor suit that happens to be pretty loving massive. We're talking about the size of the Kshatriya and Unicorn but a hell of a lot bulkier.

KoB
May 1, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

So uh if you ever wanted a Soulgain Amazon has a completely loving ridiculous sale going on.

Has anyone here built this? How is it?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

To be fair it's a somewhat minor suit that happens to be pretty loving massive. We're talking about the size of the Kshatriya and Unicorn but a hell of a lot bulkier.

Oh yeah, definitely not happening.

Right now I kind of hope there's a new Gelgoog release of some sort, maybe a Sleeves' Regelgu since they are milking Unicorn super hard.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Potential BFF posted:

Right now I kind of hope there's a new Gelgoog release of some sort, maybe a Sleeves' Regelgu since they are milking Unicorn super hard.

Part of me wants an HG Destroy Mode Banshee with the green Psychoframe since I have both Banshee Norn and FA Unicorn in Unicorn mode and I'm completely insane and want both of them in green frame Destroy mode as well. Oh well, maybe as an online exclusive in a year.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Potential BFF posted:

We said this for years with regards to a 1/100 Nightingale and lo and behold, that's happening this month.

(My poor wallet.)

TARDISman posted:

Part of me wants an HG Destroy Mode Banshee with the green Psychoframe since I have both Banshee Norn and FA Unicorn in Unicorn mode and I'm completely insane and want both of them in green frame Destroy mode as well. Oh well, maybe as an online exclusive in a year.

Green frame HG Norn was a convention exclusive, actually. I'm waiting for an MG of the same, because you can't really imitate the UV-sensitive green psychoframe with paint. (Also do a blue psychoframe version too, so I can throw the Armed Armor XC onto my blue-frame Unicorn too please)

gently caress it, just release a bunch of colored psychoframe packs. I'd buy them all.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 2, 2014

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

BlitzBlast posted:

So uh if you ever wanted a Soulgain Amazon has a completely loving ridiculous sale going on.

Goddamn poo poo I want this but it won't ship to uk

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Speaking of Unicorns I haven't heard anything from shopitchina with regards to that Armed Armor XC I purchased so I finally just threw up my hands and got MG Banshee Norn. Thus bumping the cost of my project to ever more hilarious heights.

:negative:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

More expensive than my FA Unicorn Type B project? MG Phenex, MG Banshee, and MG Unicorn. And that's without a major part which doesn't exist yet. :smith:

Where'd you snag the MG Norn though? It's out of stock everywhere I've seen.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm doing the same thing. MG FA Unicorn (again), two Armed Armor DEs, MG Norn, parts ordered runners from MG Banshee and MG Phenex. Throw in paint and primer and yeah.

I got mine from Model Grade. And up until yesterday GK had one for its base price too.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
We need to stage an intervention for you guys.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Time for more China Gunpla news:

Regulation Center (the creators of the 1/100 Nightingale that's infamous for being bad) is trying again with a 1/100 Gerbera Tetra: http://gundamcentral.weebly.com/store/p173/RC_1%2F100_MG_AGX_04_GERBERA_PLASTIC_KIT_Release_date_Sep_7th.html

Is it just me, or is that a lot bigger than 1/100 scale? I don't think 18cm MGs are supposed to be towering over HGUC Sinanju like that.

Back to RC again, and GundamCentral must be desperate to get rid of their excess RC Nightingale, cause they're selling the factory-assembled/finished kit for 149 dollars shipped: http://gundamcentral.weebly.com/store/p84/1%2F100_rc_nightingale_extra_finished_modle_kit.html

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
What cement do you guys recommend using to use on seams to be able to sand them down?

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

What cement do you guys recommend using to use on seams to be able to sand them down?

Tamiya extra thin makes for a good weld. Barring that, the Testors Model Master stuff that comes in a squeeze bottle with a thin metal tip isn't bad. Ambroid Pro-Weld is carried by a lot of hobby shops, depending on where you're from, and it doesn't suck, either.

Basically, you want a watery cement that melts plastic and that you apply with a brush or applicator. The Tamiya stuff comes with a brush in the cap which takes care of the application problem. Be careful; the cement actually melts the plastic welds the pieces together. You don't want to just use any plastic-bristled brush with it if you go that route.

If you have big gaps to fill, that is a different question entirely and will probably involve putty. But you shouldn't have big seam gaps with modern gunpla.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Suzaku posted:

Tamiya extra thin makes for a good weld. Barring that, the Testors Model Master stuff that comes in a squeeze bottle with a thin metal tip isn't bad. Ambroid Pro-Weld is carried by a lot of hobby shops, depending on where you're from, and it doesn't suck, either.

Basically, you want a watery cement that melts plastic and that you apply with a brush or applicator. The Tamiya stuff comes with a brush in the cap which takes care of the application problem. Be careful; the cement actually melts the plastic welds the pieces together. You don't want to just use any plastic-bristled brush with it if you go that route.

If you have big gaps to fill, that is a different question entirely and will probably involve putty. But you shouldn't have big seam gaps with modern gunpla.

I would avoid any goop in a tube cement. Testors also makes clear brush on plastic cement similar to the Tamiya cement described above.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tenzarin posted:

Tamiya extra thin or Testors cement with the brush are both good, they melt the plastics together so you just need to shave off a bead of plastic along the seam and sand it flat once the glue has set. Just make sure the parts are already fit together well and are fairly flush, you can make slight adjustments to the pins in the part if they are not but this is rarely an issue. If you have big gaps you're looking at putty or something but you probably won't run into that on modern Bandai kits.

EFBx2 :argh:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Thanks for the responses. Also on this HG there seems to be some things unpainted such as a the beam saber and gears on the foot. What would be the easiest way to paint these short of using an airbrush?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Thanks for the responses. Also on this HG there seems to be some things unpainted such as a the beam saber and gears on the foot. What would be the easiest way to paint these short of using an airbrush?

Normal brush and your paint of choice, thinned and applied in multiple light coats.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Tenzarin posted:

Try a ratio of one part thinner to four parts paint. Also don't wet the brush too much, I like to just start with enough paint to cover the bottom of my mixing bottle or cup and I only dip the end of the brush in. If the brush is sopping wet you will find it hard to control the paint, especially when painting small areas like the ones you're talking about. You might also want to mask around the areas you are going to paint, you can use some blue painters masking tape and a hobby knife to get the shape right.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Midjack posted:

If you're us-based I haven't been in a grocery store that doesn't carry it.

I'm Europe based though, I'll just pay more for some overpriced stuff from a hobby shop that I'll know will work. I don't that much painting anyway.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MJP posted:

This is the stuff you want - and I assure you, it's extremely easy and forgiving to airbrush on. It's in any grocery store or Walmart/Target, with the rest of the floor cleaners. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pledge-Floor-Care-27-fl-oz/15136693

Chiming in on airbrushing - I have had very good success with this as a basic airbrush. All I'm doing is getting paint on there, not freehanding any fancy designs or anything, but it works great. As long as you clean it between colors - 91% rubbing alcohol from your drugstore for acrylics, airbrush cleaner for lacquer (I've been using Alclad's lacquers and cleaner - this stuff works great) you're gonna do just fine. http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbru...rush+compressor

The downside: no moisture trap and you don't have a gauge to do psi readout, but you can eyeball it. Maxes out at 25psi, auto-start is at 15psi. For the price, it's done me just fine for a double-action airbrush and compressor.

Works fine outside, but I got the $80ish spray booth and exhaust hose. Next step: gotta figure out how I can run this thing out a basement window in the winter.

Anyway, here's my present stash, kept at the office. Had a non-grade GM Command given to me for free that I used to practice some seam hiding/painting, which is being retired to be used as a battle damage/weathering test dummy.

Also, a question: has anyone successfully pulled off the stressed and utilized vernier/thruster as portrayed here? Seems like a cool effect but for the life of me, when I apply the green and blue to finish, even if it's very light, it just looks bluish/greenish. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZBWn2kaL9M

If you are going to "eyeball" your pressure and then use cheaper equipment you shouldnt wonder why you cant get a light/fine effect. That kit is an incredible deal though
He is using clear paints, are you?

There are a few ways to get the effect you are looking for.
Spray from further away and lose all control of where the paint lands
Get a better airbrush with tighter tolerances
thin the paint ever more with future or use inks

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 3, 2014

geeksauce
Mar 1, 2011
Thanks for all the recommendations. Looks like I need to pick up at least the Gundam X. Quick question, though. When you guys say the MG Wing TV version is a good model, do you mean the Katoki redesign version labeled Proto Zero?

geeksauce fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 3, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

They probably meant the literal TV version of the vanilla Wing Gundam, but Proto Zero's fine too.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Ledenko posted:

I'm Europe based though, I'll just pay more for some overpriced stuff from a hobby shop that I'll know will work. I don't that much painting anyway.

Humbrol Clear

http://www.humbrol.com/humbrol-gloss-clear-125ml-bottle.html

I'm in the UK so Future was a total bust for me too. Humbrol made this stuff called "Clear," once they realised there was a hole in the market. It even smells vaguely like floor polish.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
A couple more Build Fighters Tri kits apparently just got announced. No pictures yet, just the announcement that they exist;

quote:

HGBF 1/144 Gundam Ez-8 Kai
(Release Date: Nov 2014, Price: 1800 yen)

HGBF 1/144 Gundam Ez-8 Kai Custom Part
(Release Date: Nov 2014, Price: 600 yen)

HGBF 1/144 BearGGuy III Variation
(Release Date: Nov 2014, Price: 1800 yen)

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

runwiled posted:

Humbrol Clear

http://www.humbrol.com/humbrol-gloss-clear-125ml-bottle.html

I'm in the UK so Future was a total bust for me too. Humbrol made this stuff called "Clear," once they realised there was a hole in the market. It even smells vaguely like floor polish.

Part of the problem is our hobby market is almost non-existant. Want a panel scriber? Uhh, try this wood chisel, that might do. Fine grain sandpaper? Maybe you'd be better off using nail files. Seriously, it's a pain in the rear end to find anything here, those were actual suggestions from a hobby shop.
Looks like you can't get Humbrol Clear here either, I can order it off ebay for ripoff shipping.
I wonder what they'd say if I asked for plasticard. "Sure, we accept credit cards", most likely.

The Missing Link
Aug 13, 2008

Should do fine against cats.
Gunpla: The easiest part of our hobby is assembly.

AFK Werewolf
Mar 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A couple more Build Fighters Tri kits apparently just got announced. No pictures yet, just the announcement that they exist;

New Ez-8. Dreams do come true.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AFK Werewolf posted:

New Ez-8. Dreams do come true.

Considering it has a "Kai Custom Part" booster, I'm kinda hoping it has something like the Ground Gundam's collapsible cannon.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I hope it has some kind of big dumb shoulder pads.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
If one were to want to build an Assassin's Creed themed mobile suit, which model would you guys suggest? My initial gut reaction is Exia, followed closely by vanilla Strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I hope it gets a bigger dumber more awesome backpack.

• Locked thread