Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Personperson14 posted:

Sounds like the last 2. Maybe people should quit buying them and just play dirt to daytona?

Oh jesus I loved dirt to Daytona.
Too bad my dfgt doesn't work with the wii I don't think and theres no pc version and ps2 emulation or gc emulation isnt good enough on my pc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

tater_salad posted:

The best "modern" single player nascar game is nr2003 it's loving sad. EA was okay at best but arcadey and the more recent ones by eurycrapics have beem full of game breaking bugs that thet wont fix. (But they do release dlc quite often)

Iracing was too stressful for me to hit races with regularity since I have young kids where bedtime is sporadic and often I was too tired to want to race.

iRacing is the absolute worst game to play casually, there should be a disclaimer when you buy it saying as much

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I wasnt trying casual... I just found myself getting frustrated if my son wasnt asleep before 9 because that meant id need to wait till 10 and by then i was too tired. Mom was tasked with putting the baby to sleep. And god forbid my wife took a shower and I was holding the baby.. id pace.the floor waiting for her to get out, then it would be 10:03.

I really wish my GameCube wheel didnt die I may still have it and try to resurrect it so I can play dirt to daytona again.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

iRacing is the absolute worst game to play casually, there should be a disclaimer when you buy it saying as much

That is the biggest pain in the rear end honestly, is that there is indeed a lack of casual race games out there.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
But if people didn't play them. We wouldn't get great youtube vids like these

http://youtu.be/E5qoiliGex4?t=2m30s
(Skip to 2:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA-RPBjZnK8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu8ukFIwYVw

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I've been playing my NASCAR 2005 career mode off and on to try and get the trophies I didn't when I played it seriously 10 years ago. It's arcadey as hell and the only game where you can drive with the hood flapping in the breeze and still win, but the car owner mode is fun and would only be topped if you could hire free agent drivers as opposed to one of six fictional drivers.

LASTCAR posted:

It really was.

Another reason why just about every night race should be moved back to daytime. Yes, even the July race at Daytona. :getin:

That race was shades of Las Vegas 2010 and I waited for the same result: for Jimmie's happy rear end to blow past the 24 and ruin that battle because NASCAR is awful. To his credit, he threw everything including the kitchen sink at Gordon. But god drat if Gordon didn't hold him off. Oh, and both were wrecking loose at times. Great stuff.

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

So I was in a thrift store in Massachusetts today when I saw this:

The Rick Mast car looks like the race used version!

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
My wife and I went out to a Steakhouse in Wells Maine last weekend. While we were waiting to be seated, I snapped a picture of this

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
there's really not much value in that pack

you know your life is poo poo when your diecasts are unsponsored

anotherblownsave
Feb 26, 2008

The sponsors will like you better this way, trust me.

VikingSkull posted:

Yeah I didn't buy it, but it was too funny not to snap a picture of.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

VikingSkull posted:

Ehh...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dale-Earnha...=item233fb5c444

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
that car is clearly sponsored by dale jr. :colbert:

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

anotherblownsave posted:

That's one of the problems with these old Racing Champions cars - they don't age well when they're in the light too long. Most of the time, the paint cracks, but sometimes the chassis separates from the body. I love those old cars, but I have to take that into account when displaying them.

And that 3-pack owns. I'd buy that faster than 9-year-old me would if I didn't have 2 of the 3 cars already.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

LASTCAR posted:

That's one of the problems with these old Racing Champions cars - they don't age well when they're in the light too long. Most of the time, the paint cracks, but sometimes the chassis separates from the body. I love those old cars, but I have to take that into account when displaying them.

And that 3-pack owns. I'd buy that faster than 9-year-old me would if I didn't have 2 of the 3 cars already.

I always felt Racing Champions was pretty high up there in terms of quality for 1/64's.

I feel Green Light and Johnny Lightning are the two best out there, but Racing Champions is pretty high up there. Whatever happened to them? I know Lionel does NASCAR now, hence why I'm asking.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
pretty sure Racing Champions and Johnny Lightning are the same company nowadays

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

anotherblownsave posted:

Where the hell is Jim Sauter's car?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I had that Tom Peck car

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

pretty sure Racing Champions and Johnny Lightning are the same company nowadays

I thought Johnny Lightning had become Greenlight honestly.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Racing Champions was better than Revell, but Revell was alright. Both of them had an amazing offering of diecasts, including back-of-the-pack guys as you're discussing.

While waiting for the Steve Park autograph session, I saw an unboxed #40 First Union Greg Sacks 1:64 from 1996. How many races did that car even run and RC had a car for it? They even had Busch cars and Trucks, from big names to backmarkers.

e- And lest we forget the 1:144 scale cars, some of which came with haulers. :getin:

e2- As well as WoO cars and IndyCars.

This is all before Action and Winner's Circle, but by the point they showed up, RC had upped their game, too.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 3, 2014

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

FuzzySkinner posted:

I always felt Racing Champions was pretty high up there in terms of quality for 1/64's.

I feel Green Light and Johnny Lightning are the two best out there, but Racing Champions is pretty high up there. Whatever happened to them? I know Lionel does NASCAR now, hence why I'm asking.

Most of their stuff is really good quality, and again, if you don't keep them in direct sunlight, you won't have any problems. But I have seen some paint flecking issues with stuff from 1989-1994 or so. Mostly in collectible shops where they're under bright lights.

But I love RC's stuff. Still do. :)

It's hard to believe that's been 20+ years - remember seeing them at Target for $1.89 back then.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

sadly nascar racing sim's are just like real nascar They keep getting worse every year..
Everyone keeps watching/playing in hopes that this year it'll be like olden times.

So really they've created the perfect nascar sim..
It's buggy and people stop playing so they try and fix it and they make it worse. Then everyone goes back to wishing for it to be like it was in 2003 but they can't go back to the glory days.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 3, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

tater_salad posted:

sadly nascar racing sim's are just like real nascar They keep getting worse every year..
Everyone keeps watching/playing in hopes that this year it'll be like olden times.

As long as they keep churning out mods and paint schemes for NR2003, I'm happy.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
SRA please get a haircut bro :)

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 3, 2014

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

As long as they keep churning out mods and paint schemes for NR2003, I'm happy.

I really wish there was a freeze at caution mod.. I'm tired of getting nailed by the race back to the flag.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Xfinity is being solicited for new ideas for their NASCAR series. What might these entail?

quote:

“They're going to have some fresh thinking on what this series can become,’’ NASCAR Chairman Brian France said about Xfinity and the series format. “We're going to listen to that. At the same time we're going to balance, as we always do, our institutional knowledge about what works and doesn't work.’’

Translation for the new kids: "We're not going to do jack until Comcast threatens to leave, at which point we'll make a bunch of terrible, kneejerk reactions."

tater_salad posted:

I really wish there was a freeze at caution mod.. I'm tired of getting nailed by the race back to the flag.

Green, White, Checkered.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The Xfinity Chase will happen within the next few years.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Why would you ask the sponsor for ideas????????????????????
????????????
???????
?????
???
?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Personperson14 posted:

The Xfinity Chase will happen within the next few years.

It'll be college football rules, we'll have the sponsors, teams, and fans all vote for the driver rankings, have a final 4 for the 2nd to last race, and a head to head at Homestead.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Slickdrac posted:

It'll be college football rules, we'll have the sponsors, teams, and fans all vote for the driver rankings, have a final 4 for the 2nd to last race, and a head to head at Homestead.

The Final weekend is held at 20 tracks simultaneously, each with 2 cars.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Peanut President posted:

Why would you ask the sponsor for ideas????????????????????
????????????
???????
?????
???
?

I dunno. Presumably NASCAR is already pretty good at screwing over their customers.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Points for Buschwhackers, Points for Nationwide regulars. Top Three regulars and top two Buschwhackers have a three-race chase to close the season.

elmono311
Apr 30, 2007

Every kiss begins with Kahne
No one will be allowed to watch the Xfinity Series unless they subscribe to Comcast. I honestly would not be surprised.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
"You know, RJ Reynolds was a good sponsor and they had some great promotional ideas for the sport. Let's ask this telecom what they think"

"good idea"

a NASCAR board meeting

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
How about racing the cars and whoever does the best over the whole season wins? No, not enough game 7? Oh ok.

I've been watching race footage from the late 90s and early 00's, it is very fun and exciting. Please help me better understand where things went off the rails, specifically with car design and series format. I need to better understand so I can be filled with more hate towards myself and Brian France

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 4, 2014

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Maybe they should ask fans one simple question. Who watches for the series champ? Because if that's the most important thing, then they should be banning drivers from series they aren't racing for points in.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

How about racing the cars and whoever does the best over the whole season wins? No, not enough game 7? Oh ok.

I've been watching race footage from the late 90s and early 00's, it is very fun and exciting. Please help me better understand where things went off the rails, specifically with car design and series format. I need to better understand so I can be filled with more hate towards myself and Brian France

Car of tomorrow, of tomorrow, of tomorrow. Isnt there another tomorrow coning out again?

Replacement of good and different tracks that were fun to watch with 1.5 mile cookie cutter trioval owned by france.
The resurfacing of Bristol owned by france, then the admisson he hosed the track up then the grinding to undo his fuckup and its still not like it was. (Bristol use to be sold out years in advance now I think you can get tickets on race day).

"Chase for the cup" game 7 type championship. Changing the rules every 5 days

The list goes on.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

What exactly is the car of tomorrow and why does it suck eggs? I am asking here for a cliff note version because I am too lazy to wade through Wikipedia and assume you fellows know.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Tater_Salad- Bristol is a Bruton Smith (SMI) track.

Michael Waltrip: Light in his loafers in the garage. But on the dance floor? You're about to find out:

http://nas.cr/1vRQUXq

maffew buildings posted:

The Chase
-Four formats, 11 years, the most recent reeks of desperation for manufactured drama and ratings at the expense of a 36-race schedule.

The Car of Tomorrow (CoT)
-Announced in late 2005/early 2006, tested through 2006. A boxy, non-racecar looking, piece of crap with a wing that didn't race well.
-The car, intended to be a safer design than the previous car, was Brian France's design and conceived with very little, if any, discussion with manufacturers, teams, or drivers.
-Fan complaints led the wing to be re-replaced by a spoiler in 2010.
-Became an extra expense for teams in 2007, because they had to build the cars from scratch.
--Led to additional expenses in 2012 when manufacturers got pissed off because their cars had no identity, the Gen 6 was introduced, and the CoT bodies became useless.

NASCAR flexes its muscle
-NASCAR began issuing stiff penalties to send a message to anyone in the sport to not break certain rules, most specifically, any attempts to cheat up the CoT.
-The most abhorrent example of this was in 2009 at the Sprint Showdown, the race-in to the All-Star Race. Independent driver Carl Long, who had gained notoriety as "the guy who flipped his only racecar down the backstretch at The Rock", took a car made up of entirely used parts to Charlotte. Long was fined $200,000 and banned until the fine was paid for bringing an engine .0016 cubic inches too large to the track, a violation likely caused by the engine being run in a race before. Long still start-and-parks cars in Nationwide races to pay the debt.

Defending its image
-NASCAR tried to become more family-friendly in the mid to late 2000s, and it got to where drivers would be fined for any on-track aggression, controversial comments, or post-race scuffles.
--This extended to teams. Derrike Cope had sponsorship from Boudreaux's Butt Paste for a race. NASCAR forced him to remove the sponsor because it didn't meet the type of company they wanted in the sport.
-The ugliest example I remember was in 2005 at New Hampshire when, after Kasey Kahne tried to brake-check Kyle Busch under caution after Busch wrecked him, the entire field was put in timeout.
-I mean that. The race was red-flagged in part so drivers would settle down. (Kurt Busch was wrecked by Scott Riggs and made his way to Riggs' pit box just afterward, which contributed to NASCAR's discomfort.)
-Realizing this was awful, NASCAR announced the policy known as Boys, Have At It in 2010, which was a public effort to allow drivers to have personalities again and be less robotic.
-NASCAR will still fine/penalize/cease-and-desist anyone who criticizes the sport, such as the NASCARnomics blog, now known as Racingnomics. Want to venture a guess as to why?

NASCAR goes National
-Attempting to capitalize on NASCAR's rising popularity and trendiness, NASCAR did things such as take the Southern 500 at Darlington away from Labor Day weekend, replacing it with "a new Labor Day tradition" at California Speedway.
-Obviously an attempt to not only bring new average joes in as fans, but to make celebrities fans who would, in turn, make the sport look cool, it backfired. California later lost their second race date, and NASCAR pissed off a number of hardcore fans by taking one of the longer-running traditions away from them in the process.

Greed
-There are a plethora of "The Official ________ of NASCAR" sponsorships because NASCAR has to have their income, too. Some of these companies could likely be primary sponsors on cars, but may not opt to do so because they're paying to be a minor sponsor of the overarching product.

Some of these factors no doubt influenced the development of the Race Team Alliance (RTA), which is essentially a uniting of the car owners to call NASCAR on their bullshit. Whereas NASCAR squashed two attempts at driver unions in the 1960s, they'll have much more trouble with the RTA because it's literally all of the money in their sport and, collectively, have much more gold than Those Who Have The Gold in Daytona.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 4, 2014

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

-The most abhorrent example of this was in 2009 at the Sprint Showdown, the race-in to the All-Star Race. Independent driver Carl Long, who had gained notoriety as "the guy who flipped his only racecar down the backstretch at The Rock", took a car made up of entirely used parts to Charlotte. Long was fined $200,000 and banned until the fine was paid for bringing an engine .0016 cubic inches too large to the track, a violation likely caused by the engine being run in a race before. Long still start-and-parks cars in Nationwide races to pay the debt.

This right here is enough to make me want to check out. Thanks for the detailed post, I appreciate the concise run down, also hate myself for bothering to get engaged in NASCAR

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

This sport is fun once you really get involved in spite of France family stupidity. The way I describe it is you can't blame the wait staff for lovely food coming out of the kitchen. Think of NASCAR as a sport in dire need of a visit from Gordon Ramsay: ownership is totally oblivious to what's wrong, and the people employed there are suffering as a result.

maffew buildings posted:

This right here is enough to make me want to check out

Here's the first crash I mentioned. When word got out that it was Long's only racecar, a fan-sparked grassroots fundraiser (think of it as a Kickstarter) was started to help get him back into the sport. He eventually did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ4LEUmfSp0

This was in 2004 at Rockingham, which, in another footnote, turned out to be the final Cup race there because International Speedway Corporation (ISC, track arm of NASCAR) was sued by a pissed off fan and stockholder of Bruton Smith's Speedway Motorsports, Inc (SMI), who wanted a second race at Texas. Francis Ferko sued on anti-trust grounds, surprisingly won, and Rockingham was sold to SMI as part of the settlement. SMI promptly closed the track.

As tater_salad alluded to, Bristol Motor Speedway, an SMI property and perhaps the most popular track on the circuit (with a 20,000-name long waiting list for tickets), was torn up and repaved in 2007 for some god drat reason. Of course, it didn't work. The racing became awful and fans left in droves. Bristol put out an online survey, in which fans revealed why people weren't coming anymore: that SMI had fixed what wasn't broken (which is a shortcoming of NASCAR and ISC as well). Smith pumped millions into re-doing the track after the March race so "New Old Bristol" as some of us call it would be ready by that August.

It sounds honorable until you take into account that Smith, the CEO of SMI, claimed he had no knowledge the track was being reconfigured and blamed it all on "an engineer". Smith also took the second race date held by Atlanta and moved it to Kentucky Speedway, whose first Cup race was a PR nightmare because SMI had put in lots of extra seats but no extra parking. Some ticketholders were turned away because they had nowhere to put cars. As compensation, those fans were offered free tickets to one event at Kentucky or any other SMI property, but Smith felt no need to actually apologize because it was the fans' fault for getting stuck in traffic. (It was also suggested that Smith used the fans as pawns to force the State of Kentucky to widen I-71 near his track.)

In short, Bruton Smith is possibly even more of an rear end in a top hat than France.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 4, 2014

• Locked thread