Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhino jobs are union, they have to pay them anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, it doesnt matter if you have anything for them to do, Rhinos will always charge.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BiggerBoat posted:

Ok. I have a few. I was watching Superman 2 yesterday for the first time in a long while. I remembered it being cheesy but still liking it. Jesus Christ is this thing a piece of poo poo. Lex and Ms. Tessmacher escape in a from prison in a helium balloon. They're caught doing it. So no one within 50 miles is on the lookout for a hot air balloon or can spot one.

Later, Lex, still in his prison garb, has somehow guided the balloon to the Antarctic because he knows where Superman's Fortress of Solitude is. It has to be loving FREEZING up there, especially in the loving SKY, but here's Lex with his bald head and still in his prison skivvies floating around with his half naked bitch, not freezing at all, not hungry or anything and with obviously no one looking for him.

Christ.

Earlier, a little kid falls off the ledge of Niagra Falls and, honest to god, it must take him 45 seconds to even begin to reach the bottom. I'm not entirely sure how gravity works but I know a bit.

Then later we get Superman cellophane logo superpower out of nowhere. Movie loving sucks. I love Chris Reeve in the role and a lot of other things about it stylistically but gently caress if this movie hasn't aged badly.

My physics teacher in high school actually had us watch that scene and calculate how long Niagra Falls would have to be for it to take that long. He was a cool guy.

But really the old superman movies are from a different era, when comics were just plain goofier and you didn't have to justify squat.

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011
In some other thread, now lost to sands of time, someone posted a video about the huge gently caress off machine developed for the animators at Disney, it allowed them to change background and foreground cels more easily ( to avoid the type of static backgrounds you'd see in an old Scooby doo cartoon)and I think illuminate each one independently.

It was interesting because in the video Walt Disney seems hugely proud of that thing and now its probably sitting in a warehouse somewhere collecting dust.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Mister Nobody posted:

In some other thread, now lost to sands of time, someone posted a video about the huge gently caress off machine developed for the animators at Disney, it allowed them to change background and foreground cels more easily ( to avoid the type of static backgrounds you'd see in an old Scooby doo cartoon)and I think illuminate each one independently.

It was interesting because in the video Walt Disney seems hugely proud of that thing and now its probably sitting in a warehouse somewhere collecting dust.

The multiplane camera was a pretty fuckin' nifty piece of tech.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

RagnarokAngel posted:

My physics teacher in high school actually had us watch that scene and calculate how long Niagra Falls would have to be for it to take that long. He was a cool guy.

But really the old superman movies are from a different era, when comics were just plain goofier and you didn't have to justify squat.

I'm from that era. :corsair:

As a child that movie was pure magic. Superman 1 was also and Christopher Reeves is still fantastic. But man are they hard to take now and it makes me sad. Almost irrationally irritated in some ways. Your physics teacher was awesome too, by the way. How long (deep) would Niagra Falls have to have been? What was the answer?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

If it's actually 45 seconds, about 8000 feet, not factoring in any negligible effects from updrafts that are often near waterfalls.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Niagra falls is roughly 170 feet tall, for reference.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Anyone ever do the math for Charlie's Angels 2? They jumped from a dam and free fell for probably more than a minute.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Someone did the math for the ridiculously long runway at the end of Fast and Furious 6.

It ends up being just under 28 miles. Over 3 times longer than the longest runway in the world, and 9 times longer than the longest paved one.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of runways, what's up with that one at the start of Goldeneye?

Bond bungee jumps from the top of a dam to the bottom, works his way through the facility, and then exists out the back which is now somehow on top of a huge loving mountain.

What?

Here's the opening shot of the dam:

(Though nice foreshadowing with the plane righrt there.)

Here's when he comes out of the bottom of the dam:

Aggressive pricing
Feb 25, 2008

He rode up the Balrog he fought in the depths of the mountain. Didn't you read the books?

x239marine
Jun 20, 2009

'Thank you, I'm here till Duke's Day!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Speaking of runways, what's up with that one at the start of Goldeneye?

Bond bungee jumps from the top of a dam to the bottom, works his way through the facility, and then exists out the back which is now somehow on top of a huge loving mountain.

What?

Here's the opening shot of the dam:

(Though nice foreshadowing with the plane righrt there.)

Here's when he comes out of the bottom of the dam:

Goldeneye takes from the Dark Souls 2 school of level design obviously

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
The part in the Carrie remake where Chris says "This isn't over. This isn't over by a long shot." That's so cliche and what kind of teenaged girl talks like that? It's also weird how almost every single student is a complete bullying piece of poo poo. There were spoiled, gossipy bitches at my school but it was just a small group.

Chloe Grace Mortez is totally miscast. It's nice that Carrie actually looks like she's in high school for once but she's too mentally and emotionally stable in this movie.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 08:15 on Sep 4, 2014

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
New Carrie is irritating from start to finish for very rational reasons.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I can't stand they have her save the teacher. What bullshit.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I can't stand they have her save the teacher. What bullshit.

You mean like in the book in which she survives?

Gookzilla
Apr 3, 2003

Hate motivates

OppyDoppyDopp posted:

Does Michael Peña ever not look dopey? I saw him years ago in Shooter and he looked bewildered for most of it. He has now popped up in a trailer for Fury and has the same gormless expression.

There's now no chance I'll see that film because he'll just look dumb throughout. He must have gone to the Jon Snow School of Facial Expressions.
From a couple pages back, but Michael Pena is goddamn amazing as anybody who saw "Observe and Report" or "End of Watch" can attest. Guy has some ridiculous range.

Someone brought up "Blue is the Warmest Color" and Adele's dopey face/mouth got a little distracting.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean like in the book in which she survives?

Haven't read the book. My problem with it wasn't about not adhering to the original book.

The problem is that Carrie's boiling point is reached in which she becomes an all consuming force of death, killing friend and foe indiscriminately. She is broken.

This is far more interesting than Carrie reaches a boiling point in which she gains superhero powers and kills all those awful awful bullies but it was kind of sort of justified because look how insanely cruel they are! And Carrie? Carrie saves the teacher who was kind to her (and maybe the black couple from a different school who was kind to her?) so she's not all bad. She's the school shooter who kills just the right people, and the movie wants you to respect that.

One movie shows being pushed to the edge and the lines we would cross when pushed too far. The people we will hurt even when only trying to help us.

The other movie shows that when you get pushed to the edge maybe just get rid of the people who deserve it? Just because you've gone insane doesn't mean you can't just be rational.

The first is a tragedy showing what happens when a good person gets pushed too far and the lines they are capable of crossing. The climax is a horrifying onslaught.

The second is a payback simulator showing how it would be pretty cool if you could get back at the people who wronged you. The climax is a digital effects showcase and supposed to be cathartic for the audience and, in a way, appealing. The saving of the teacher re-enforces this.

Dissapointed Owl has a new favorite as of 00:15 on Sep 5, 2014

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Another thing about the Carrie remake: What is with that generic rock music for 9 year olds that plays with the credits hit? It doesn't fit at all.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This probably isn't so irrational so much since White House Down is pretty dumb, but once that limo chase on the White House lawn happened and President Sawyer was like "SEND IN THE TANK" I was just thinking "Wait...why not just send in...all the national guard? All out assault on the White House? The limo is right there, you could retrieve the President and fight off the guys chasing him and on the roof! They're shooting at him right there! Why just send in the one tank and then stop when it gets blown up? Do we only have one tank?!?!? :downs: You know the President is no longer a hostage, potentially, and is under attack. Are you afraid they kill the Cabinet? Is that really a priority when the President is right there?"

Also this is probably blasphemy to some people or irrational, but I never liked Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys at all. I dunno, it's just not there for me with his performance. I feel like there are people who rave about it, but whenever I watch him in the film I just roll my eyes. Just sort of tryhard and forced, corny, goofy/cartoonish in a bad way, and not really...natural (if you get what I'm trying to say). There are plenty of actors who have pulled off this sort of zany character but I don't really think he was a good fit. Especially when I think of all the perfect memorable mental patients in One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest, an unfair comparison to be sure. I don't really think he has the range for this sort of role. It's not like, Tyler Durden.

Punkin Spunkin has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Sep 6, 2014

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

TheFallenEvincar posted:

This probably isn't so irrational so much since White House Down is pretty dumb, but once that limo chase on the White House lawn happened and President Sawyer was like "SEND IN THE TANK" I was just thinking "Wait...why not just send in...all the national guard? All out assault on the White House? The limo is right there, you could retrieve the President and fight off the guys chasing him and on the roof! They're shooting at him right there! Why just send in the one tank and then stop when it gets blown up? Do we only have one tank?!?!? :downs: You know the President is no longer a hostage, potentially, and is under attack. Are you afraid they kill the Cabinet? Is that really a priority when the President is right there?"
When he said that I was like oh, just like in Die Hard where it gets stuck & blown to poo poo and then it happened. But it's okay in a way since it's literally Die Hard in the White House.

quote:

Also this is probably blasphemy to some people or irrational, but I never liked Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys at all. I dunno, it's just not there for me with his performance. I feel like there are people who rave about it, but whenever I watch him in the film I just roll my eyes. Just sort of tryhard and forced, corny, goofy/cartoonish in a bad way, and not really...natural (if you get what I'm trying to say). There are plenty of actors who have pulled off this sort of zany character but I don't really think he was a good fit. Especially when I think of all the perfect memorable mental patients in One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest, an unfair comparison to be sure. I don't really think he has the range for this sort of role. It's not like, Tyler Durden.

I get what you're saying, but he is supposed to be cartoony. There's a cartoon on the TV in the asylum when he's introduced, also, the motif of a drugged out Willis not knowing what the gently caress is happening, being educated on the brave old world by a cartoonish psychopath is a good one. This is our world, it is insane. The humor is the valve to prevent us from killing ourseles.

Plenty of more accurate portrayals, but they wouldn't fit into a Gilliam movie with bizarre panopticon timetravel machine and Bruce's badly pasted on moustache.

DeathFromAbove1988
Mar 8, 2007

You're a woman, I'm a machine.
So I just now finally got around to watching Pacific Rim. Loved the action and the world building, even with the at times wooden dialogue (except for Idris Elbe, who kills it as usual). That said, there were plenty of little irrational nitpicks.

Just 2 off the top of my head while they're fresh, at the end after they win, the people in the control room cheer, but like how they would cheer for like, their favorite team winning a close game of football, they just don't seem nearly enthused enough that they sealed the breach and there will never ever be another Kaiju attack and they have effectively ended the apocalypse.

Also, in the scene where Mako and Raleigh are floating out in the Pacific on their ejection capsule things right after they won, Mako dives into the water in her clunky rear end mech pilot suit that is clearly made of a substantial amount of metal, and then swims like 40 yards in open water. As a strong swimmer that struggled enough with proper, non-metal swimming attire trying to go across a lake, I was amazed at her formidable ability to apparently manipulate gravity. Right as she dove into the water the thought crossed my head that she had for some reason just decided to kill herself in a horrifying fashion. She would have just sank straight back down to the bottom of the Marianas Trench and popped like a balloon with too much air in it. (It gave me a bit of pause that they came up from that depth as quickly as they did and the ammount of preasure change they would have experienced, but I just hand waved that the pods were equipped for surviving anything, so science-magic was probably responsible).

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

DeathFromAbove1988 posted:

Just 2 off the top of my head while they're fresh, at the end after they win, the people in the control room cheer, but like how they would cheer for like, their favorite team winning a close game of football, they just don't seem nearly enthused enough that they sealed the breach and there will never ever be another Kaiju attack and they have effectively ended the apocalypse.

They lost almost all of their pilots, who were their bros. It's not an occasion without loss.

DeathFromAbove1988 posted:

Also, in the scene where Mako and Raleigh are floating out in the Pacific on their ejection capsule things right after they won, Mako dives into the water in her clunky rear end mech pilot suit that is clearly made of a substantial amount of metal, and then swims like 40 yards in open water.

poo poo floats in the ocean. Also, considering they were designed to be fighting in the open ocean (or at least, aquatic environments), the suit probably doubles as a life-jacket.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

poo poo floats in the ocean. Also, considering they were designed to be fighting in the open ocean (or at least, aquatic environments), the suit probably doubles as a life-jacket.

I completely misinterpreted your first sentence and thought to myself, "oh, come on, Rinko Kikuchi did an okay job in that film." :downs:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

For a movie called 12 Years a Slave I really had a hard time telling how much time was actually passing. Reading up on Northup's life and he spent 10 of those years on Epps' farm.

DeathFromAbove1988
Mar 8, 2007

You're a woman, I'm a machine.

FROOOOOOOOG posted:

They lost almost all of their pilots, who were their bros. It's not an occasion without loss.

I mean yeah, I get that, but they died in the completion of the mission, which effectively saved all of their lives and the lives of their loved ones.. Hell, they cheer louder when they find out Raleigh is still alive enough to make out with Mako than when the throat is collapsed. I dunno, like the thread implies, it's an irrationally irritating, but I just figured they'd be a bit more excited at the news.

quote:

I could see this, actually, with like airbag pouches inside the suit that both serve to dampen collision and keep pilots afloat. I guess it was just for most of the movie the suits are made to look really clunky and weighty, but that also could be my mind associating the suits with the weight of the Jaegers themselves.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I always figured the suits were plastic or ceramic. They are layered though, so maybe it's a thin metal shell over the inner plastic/rubber core?

Sorta like Iron Man, except way less armor plated and more technolooking.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

muscles like this? posted:

For a movie called 12 Years a Slave I really had a hard time telling how much time was actually passing. Reading up on Northup's life and he spent 10 of those years on Epps' farm.

I had this same problem with the movie, so you're not alone on that.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Back in the mid 2000's if a movie showed some kind of montage for an underdog protagonist you can bet this was the song played. I didn't like it to begin with but after it's overuse made me hate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDvr08sCPOc

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Knew exactly what song you meant before I even started the video.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gaunab posted:

Back in the mid 2000's if a movie showed some kind of montage for an underdog protagonist you can bet this was the song played. I didn't like it to begin with but after it's overuse made me hate it.

I was going to find a list of movies that had this song in it, but while there's an Internet Movie Firearm Database and an Internet Adult Film Database, apparently there's no Internet Movie Music Database.

I also think I've heard that song in a UFC promo and probably a bunch of TV shows about sports.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Also, if an early 2000's movie wanted a rousing finale they would use "All-Star," by Smashmouth.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Seventh Arrow posted:

Also, if an early 2000's movie wanted a rousing finale they would use "All-Star," by Smashmouth.

I was sick of the song before Shrek came out and it becoming the goddamn theme song for the film didn't help any. I guess it is a good match though, because one's a disgusting smelly ogre that doesn't eat eggs and the other is voiced by Mike Myers

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Memento posted:

I was going to find a list of movies that had this song in it, but while there's an Internet Movie Firearm Database and an Internet Adult Film Database, apparently there's no Internet Movie Music Database.

I also think I've heard that song in a UFC promo and probably a bunch of TV shows about sports.

Some songs have wikipedia pages that keep track of this:

quote:

Despite numerous low peaks in different charts, "Remember the Name" was used extensively in the media, particularly sports events, and received a Platinum certification by the RIAA in 2009. It was played at many stadiums and arenas throughout the United States, including several colleges. The National Basketball Association used the song as the theme song for the 2006 and 2007 NBA Playoffs as well as the 2008 NBA Draft. The song is also featured on the soundtrack of the EA Sports video game NBA Live 06. The song was also used in episode 12 of Season 2 of CBS's Numb3rs' "The OG".

The song is also featured in promotional TV trailers for the 2006 movie, Gridiron Gang, NBC's 2006 series, Friday Night Lights, and Pride, directed by Sunu Gonera, as well as the trailer for Fighting and the trailer for the 2010 remake of The Karate Kid.

The song has also been featured in the TV commercial for the 50th Grammy Awards in 2008. On March 19, 2011 UFC premiered the trailer for UFC 129 with "Remember the Name" being featured.[3] In October 2012 BBC One used the opening chorus of "Remember the Name" to advertise a Shinty Cup match. The song was used in the 2013 film, The Smurfs 2.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

AFewBricksShy posted:

Despite numerous low peaks in different charts, "Remember the Name" was used extensively in the media, particularly sports events, and received a Platinum certification by the RIAA in 2009.

Wow. I thought they used it so much since people liked it but that's not even the case. It's just a lovely song that advertisers and media stuck with.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Every single lovely 2000's movie involving dogs would have the "Bow wow yo yippie yay yippie yay bow wow yippie yo yippie yay" part from Atomic Dog (which I recently learned isn't a rap song even though it has been sampled a billion times) in the trailer.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend

Gaunab posted:

I have never heard this song before in my life. I guess I didn't see a lot of movies in the mid-aughts? (or maybe the song is so forgettable I never even noticed)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Celery Face posted:

Every single lovely 2000's movie involving dogs would have the "Bow wow yo yippie yay yippie yay bow wow yippie yo yippie yay" part from Atomic Dog (which I recently learned isn't a rap song even though it has been sampled a billion times) in the trailer.

Also "Who Let the Dogs Out?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

M.C. McMic posted:

I have never heard this song before in my life. I guess I didn't see a lot of movies in the mid-aughts? (or maybe the song is so forgettable I never even noticed)

Same here. Also Shrek was the only movie I saw that had :douche: in it at all so I don't recognize that complaint either.