Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, thoughts on Nikon flashes? The op says the SB-400 is pointless, but it looks pretty good to me if I just want something easy to do bounce flash. K-rock says the SB-300 is poo poo because it's not the SB-400, but the SB-400 may or may not be discontinued and thus harder to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

FISHMANPET posted:

So, thoughts on Nikon flashes? The op says the SB-400 is pointless, but it looks pretty good to me if I just want something easy to do bounce flash. K-rock says the SB-300 is poo poo because it's not the SB-400, but the SB-400 may or may not be discontinued and thus harder to get.

No it's complete trash. Like "nearly worse than nothing." If you want to do bounce flash at comically low power, save yourself whatever many hundred dollars and just get makeup mirror.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So is this one of those times where K-rock is just talking out of his rear end?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

FISHMANPET posted:

So is this one of those times where K-rock is just talking out of his rear end?

Much like the rest of the time, yes. Both the SB-400 and SB-300 are useless trash for idiots. Well, and people who listen to K-Rock. Also known as idiots.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

If you set it to bounce mode, you're bouncing off the ceiling. If you want to shoot vertically, you're now bouncing off a wall/person/empty space.

SB-600/700 if you need TTL, any new yongnuo if you're fine with manual flash.

Also the DF is baller as heck, awful ergonomics be damned.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 3, 2014

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm a fan of manual flashes so I just recently picked up the Yongnuo YN560-III and it would take care of you a million times better than the sb-400. They've really stepped their game up with their newer products.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I just want click buttan get bounce flash. The SB-600/700 is so big and daunting for such a seemingly simple task.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

I just want click buttan get bounce flash. The SB-600/700 is so big and daunting for such a seemingly simple task.

The right tools for the right job. The SB400/300 are trash and are barely better than your popup. Literally better than an SB400/300 http://photojojo.com/store/awesomeness/pop-up-flash-bounce/

Think long term. Light stand, shoot through umbrellas, radio triggers. If this is a future thing you might get into, the SB600/700 will be exactly where you want to be and you get TTL on your camera. Knock offs are just as good too.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
See, I don't really want to get into any studio stuff. Things I want to shoot:
  • Urban landscapes
  • Trains
  • Cattes
  • Naked ladies not in a studio environment

I've got a ton of friends with studio setups that shoot models and such, and I just don't have any interest in going down that road.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

• Urban landscapes
  • Trains
  • Cattes

I've got a ton of friends with studio setups that shoot models and such, and I just don't have any interest in going down that road.

Borrow a flash from them :).

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Come on Nikon, announce a new prosumer grade APS-C body at Photokina so I don't just buy a used D7100...

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Kenshin posted:

Come on Nikon, announce a new prosumer grade APS-C body at Photokina so I don't just buy a used D7100...

D700 replacement is confirmed 100%, there will no D300 replacement. Whats wrong with your current camera?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

FISHMANPET posted:

• Urban landscapes
  • Trains
  • Cattes

You will still need fill light and it needs to be brighter than the SB300/400 output. This is just how life goes. You may not want to put them on stands or get triggers, but for the naked ladies not in studio, you will probably like having a powerful enough flash to fill. Also ladies love a big flash gun.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

Kenshin posted:

B&H has refurbished D7100 bodies for $889.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Magicaljesus posted:

B&H has refurbished D7100 bodies for $889.

Yeah, I'll probably end up picking that up.

I'm starting to really hit the limitations of my D3200 and was hoping a new high-end crop-sensor body would be announced with a trickle-down of the tech from the D4S and D810, but I guess a refurb 7100 will have to do for the next year instead.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Honestly I would wait.

Rumors of a D7200, and also that $889 is only $100 less than the regular price of the D7100 body non-refurbished, and any kind of repair outside of your 90 days of warranty will definitely negate any savings.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I heard there will be D7200 info released sometime this month, but I'm really surprised nothing had been leaked yet. Do camera specs usually get kept under wraps this well?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

Honestly I would wait.

Rumors of a D7200, and also that $889 is only $100 less than the regular price of the D7100 body non-refurbished, and any kind of repair outside of your 90 days of warranty will definitely negate any savings.

Oh, I'm certainly not going to buy anything before Photokina. I'd been hoping they would announce the D7200 at Photokina because I was just going to buy that and the Tamron 150-600mm lens at the same time, but since there haven't been any rumblings of the D7200/D400 appearing since around April I'll probably just end up buying the Tamron lens to use on my D3200 for a while until the next D7x00 or even higher-end crop sensor comes out.

(yes, I only want a crop sensor camera)

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
There will be no D400. Buy a D2xs already. Gods only good crop camera.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Musket posted:

There will be no D400. Buy a D2xs already. Gods only good crop camera.

Was going to buy whatever the next Dxxx model was, saw D2X on sale for a good price, bought that, haven't looked back.

This man speaks god's honest truth.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

A used D300 is cheaper and better :colbert:.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Wasn't the D2X the one that everyone hated, or am I mistakening that for another one (D2Hs? D2?)

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

ShadeofBlue posted:

A used D300 is cheaper and better :colbert:.

Its not better.

The D2H/HS was 4.1 MP while the D2x/xs are 12MP and with better AF-Cam and honestly it does blow the D300 out of the water in a lot of ways. The D300 had better HI1/2 iso but honestly everything else about the D2xs was better.

Faster buffer, faster start time, less shutter lag, the D2x/xs are pro grade bodies fully sealed not that halfassed seal in the D300 and built in grip. I preferred it over the D300. I wish they would have put the D700 guts in the D2x/xs body instead of the D300 body.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I used a D2Xs for years at the newspaper. Not as much ISO as the newer cameras, but with fast lenses or decent light, it's ... well, the camera of choice for newspapers for years. It's a tank.

Also, I think that was the one that you could set it to crop the crop and double the framerate. Nice for baseball.

Just don't buy one that belonged to a newspaper.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Delivery McGee posted:

I used a D2Xs for years at the newspaper. Not as much ISO as the newer cameras, but with fast lenses or decent light, it's ... well, the camera of choice for newspapers for years. It's a tank.

Also, I think that was the one that you could set it to crop the crop and double the framerate. Nice for baseball.

Just don't buy one that belonged to a newspaper.

Yeah, I get 5fps in regular high-speed, 8fps in high-speed crop mode.

And having used a D300, yes the D2X is objectively way the hell better.

Also DEM COLORS :allears:

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
I just had my ID badge made today with a D2X. It's okay, D2X, you did your best. It's not your fault, I was born this way.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

I'm just starting to get into photography, with this cam (d3100) being my first dslr. I've got the 18-55mm kit lens and a 70-300mm sigma lens. I'd like something better for macro photos, is there a (cheap!) lens with autofocus that's considered the best to get? The 70-300mm is okay for macro but I usually have to be about 2ft minimum from the subject. I'd like to get closer.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Fraction posted:

I'm just starting to get into photography, with this cam (d3100) being my first dslr. I've got the 18-55mm kit lens and a 70-300mm sigma lens. I'd like something better for macro photos, is there a (cheap!) lens with autofocus that's considered the best to get? The 70-300mm is okay for macro but I usually have to be about 2ft minimum from the subject. I'd like to get closer.

Nikkor 40mm G is fairly cheap.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there a new version of the 18-55mm kit lens? I was at Target and for the hell of it looked at the D3300 they had on display with kit lens, it had a "II" on it and also a button (that I couldn't figure out what it did).

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Fraction posted:

The Nikkor 40mm f/2.8G Micro is the cheapest Nikon macro lens with AF-S. It's a superb normal-ish lens, but it's just OK for macro. It kind of sucks at macro because you have to be right on top of your subject to reproduce it at 1:1. The working distance—the distance from the front of the lens to the subject at 1:1—is only 3.3 cm. In practice, that means that you're blocking your light most of the time. The lens can cast its own shadow on the subject.

If you just want to toy with macro occasionally, the 40mm's limitations may not be an issue. However, if you can deal without autofocus, the Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 AF-D or one of the several versions of the Tokina 100mm f/2.8 out there will be better for actual macro work. On the used market, they should cost the same or only slightly more than the 40mm does new, and you can stay far enough from your subject to actually have some light on whatever you're photographing.

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there a new version of the 18-55mm kit lens? I was at Target and for the hell of it looked at the D3300 they had on display with kit lens, it had a "II" on it and also a button (that I couldn't figure out what it did).

Yes. The button collapses the lens, as with some Nikon 1 lenses.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

TheJeffers posted:

The Nikkor 40mm f/2.8G Micro is the cheapest Nikon macro lens with AF-S. It's a superb normal-ish lens, but it's just OK for macro. It kind of sucks at macro because you have to be right on top of your subject to reproduce it at 1:1. The working distance—the distance from the front of the lens to the subject at 1:1—is only 3.3 cm. In practice, that means that you're blocking your light most of the time. The lens can cast its own shadow on the subject.

While these are valid issues, I own this lens and I've had pretty good experiences bouncing flash at 1:1. For the price, it's decently good at macro.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

TheJeffers posted:

If you just want to toy with macro occasionally, the 40mm's limitations may not be an issue. However, if you can deal without autofocus, the Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 AF-D or one of the several versions of the Tokina 100mm f/2.8 out there will be better for actual macro work. On the used market, they should cost the same or only slightly more than the 40mm does new, and you can stay far enough from your subject to actually have some light on whatever you're photographing.

3.3cm? While that's certainly closer than ~2ft, I'd probably end up bumping lens first into my subject more often than not!

I should really play with my current lenses and see if I could deal w/o autofocus. It's just a case of turning the focus ring and selecting on screen where to target, right?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The issue you'll run into is the lens not being physically capable of focusing as close as you want.

The 40mm is good, and all third party brands as well as Nikon make good macro round 90-105mm. If you want autofocus make sure the one you get comes with a motor (we can tell you if you're not sure).

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Nikon just announced the D750, sb-500 led flash, and 20mm 1.8.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

I don't understand who the D750 is for. It's got some hot features like the AF module from the D4s, and a relatively high maximum frame rate at 6.5 FPS, but it still has a tiny buffer, and it still uses the prosumer mode selection dial from the D610/D7100. The only unique feature it has in the Nikon lineup is the combination of an articulated screen and an FX sensor.

All this for about $500 more than a D610. Yay!

Some media outlets are hailing this as the D700 evolution that everybody has been waiting for, but I don't see it.

The SB-500 is weird, too. In addition to the normal flash tube, it's got an integrated triple-LED light for video, which Nikon vaguely describes as being good for 100 lux of output. That video light seems almost useless, since the light it casts will be ugly without a diffuser panel, and use of such a panel will probably reduce the output to practically nothing.

Ugh.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's nikon grasping at whatever straws it can to establish itself in the video segment. It's really a value proposition. The 12-deep raw buffer is hilarious considering how cheap ram is.

junidog
Feb 17, 2004
Anyone know if it's possible to reprogram buttons other than Fn, specifically on a d5200? There's a few buttons I find myself never using, and a few things I have to constantly dig through the menu for. I've never used the info button or the shooting speed button, so I'd love to free those up somehow. The menu only seems to let me change Fn or minorly tweak AF/AE lock. I'd even settle for just switching Fn and AFL.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Who cares about the D750, Nikon just made an FX 20mm 1.8 lens :toot:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What is the use of a largish aperture capability on a landscape lens that you'll be shooting with at f/16 or more? Or do people use a 20mm for things where they'll get bokeh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

Who cares about the D750, Nikon just made an FX 20mm 1.8 lens :toot:
If it's as cheap and good as the 35....