Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
Good thing there is all of this to distract us from the fcc destroying the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

coleman francis posted:

Good thing there is all of this to distract us from the fcc destroying the internet

The final cuck.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
ku kuck klan

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

coleman francis posted:

Who do you think is really funding that Patreon?

fnox
May 19, 2013

i'm legitimately curious, what do most of these game journalists actually do? do they all write editorials? you don't see the guy who writes game reviews or that posts game development blogs, or that actually posts news about games making those kinda articles.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

fnox posted:

i'm legitimately curious, what do most of these game journalists actually do? do they all write editorials? you don't see the guy who writes game reviews or that posts game development blogs, or that actually posts news about games making those kinda articles.

There's a lot of down time between reformatting the email from a developer for publishing and tweeting about inane poo poo.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

fnox posted:

i'm legitimately curious, what do most of these game journalists actually do?

link poo poo

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

fnox posted:

same as any other hobbyist news site completely dependant on publishers and devs: play with their free toys, republish PR material, link to other hobby sites, adopt the newest popular movement in a desperate attempt to garner views (see: Ben Kuchera, Kotaku).

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Gyges posted:

There's a lot of down time between reformatting the email from a developer for publishing and tweeting about inane poo poo.

Seriously these people spend all day on twitter.

NadaTooma
Aug 24, 2004

The good thing is that everyone around you has more critical failures in combat, the bad thing is - so do you!
still can't fathom why anybody bothers above and beyond reading steam user reviews and watching the occasional lets play on youtube :effort:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Paladinus posted:

What I would also like to mention is that in existing antisemitic society we all live in, many Jews develop internalised antisemitism. So even when you say that there are plenty of Jewish game developers, like Dave Gilbert, it doesn't mean that their depiction of Jews is always good.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.angryjew.game
Yes, this game is literally called Angry Jew, and although it's made by Jews, you play as a caricature of a Jew killing Slavic people to restore Jewish holy books (cf. blood libel, i.e. Jews were believed to use blood of Christians in their rituals).

See, this guy missed a golden opportunity by not making this an Angry Birds clone. Or maybe the idea of firing cartoony versions of Fiddler in the Roof-type characters out of a catapult is something only I find funny.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Oh my loving god this thing keeps loving giving, and it is grand.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

Jombo posted:

AAaaah - I didn't realise she was only scheduled after this whole debacle.

nope, pax being tumblrized has been going on for a while. Like half the panels were things like "It's a white cis man's world" and "surviving cyberbullying", there's not much video games there anymore.

here's some of the panels from last weekend

Women Surviving and Thriving in Games Media
Building Inclusive Communities in Analog Game Spaces
Troll Combat 101: How to Combat and Defeat Internet Trolls
Queer Visibility in Tabletop RPGs
Creating Diversity Playgroups
Consenting Adults: Sex in Videogames

that was just from Friday.

NadaTooma posted:

still can't fathom why anybody bothers above and beyond reading steam user reviews and watching the occasional lets play on youtube :effort:

yeah that's kind of why these people are all freaking out, people have realized they serve no purpose at all.

Forums Barber fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 3, 2014

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I haven't played a video game in days. This thread is currently my favorite game.

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW

Paladinus posted:

I actually wanted to mention this game as a very rare positive example of a game with Jewish characters. But this is just one game out of literally hundreds of thousands.

What I would also like to mention is that in existing antisemitic society we all live in, many Jews develop internalised antisemitism. So even when you say that there are plenty of Jewish game developers, like Dave Gilbert, it doesn't mean that their depiction of Jews is always good.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.angryjew.game
Yes, this game is literally called Angry Jew, and although it's made by Jews, you play as a caricature of a Jew killing Slavic people to restore Jewish holy books (cf. blood libel, i.e. Jews were believed to use blood of Christians in their rituals).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M-tgHivx6s&t=1m38s

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kHOn1UsWao

This is probably the most fair criticism I've seen.

What's the point of posting a video about a guy criticising her videos before she even released the first episode? His reason for donating money was due to the harassment she received during the campaign. He is butthurt because he realised he's a white knight and gave money to a woman just because she was upset (in the same way you would give a bottle to an upset baby). He didn't back her series because he appreciated her previous work, like any sane person would.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

NadaTooma posted:

Ive liked video games all my life and I've never understood this either

But then again people who argue endlessly about video games don't actually enjoy playing them to begin with

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

Oh my loving god this thing keeps loving giving, and it is grand.

Can someone TLDR that picture for me?

edit:

Tokamak posted:

What's the point of posting a video about a guy criticising her videos before she even released the first episode? His reason for donating money was due to the harassment she received during the campaign. He is butthurt because he realised he's a white knight and gave money to a woman just because she was upset (in the same way you would give a bottle to an upset baby). He didn't back her series because he appreciated her previous work, like any sane person would.

I think it's criticism of her but I admit I didn't catch how old that video was. Still he's no worse than the majority of the people that backed her project.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 3, 2014

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Forums Barber posted:

nope, pax being tumblrized has been going on for a while. Like half the panels were things like "It's a white cis man's world" and "surviving cyberbullying", there's not much video games there anymore.

We live in a post-Dickwolves world

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

fnox posted:

And to add to your question what should we expect from them. Pretty sure I pissed off Gerstmann last week on his stream asking similar questions (why do we have games press?) about stories they seemingly had no interest in pursuing. Giant bomb may consider itself more "entertainment tonight" than "6 o clock news" but they do run actual news stories from time to time. As a reader/listener it becomes frustrating because it creates a situation where I can't tell if I should expect them to investigate a story or not. When called on it they say, well that's not us, we're enthusiast press, not reporters or journalists, which would be fine but that isn't always the case.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
in his... defense(?), I don't think Jeff gives a gently caress about much of anything these days.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Giant Bomb is nerd hype bullshit. They got big because Gerstmann claimed to be against the corruption in the industry but he backpedaled 100% pretty much immediately on ever talking about anything like that.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

literally a hog posted:

He was trolling. Him and the other guy just changed their twitter descriptions to "Mod of Polygon.com" and made extremely over the top tweets at people telling them he was going to ban every anime avatar at his site, laughing at people for being 30 years old and still playing videogames, etc.

People start furiosuly tweeting Polygon to have him removed. Riled up people are really gullible.

Heh. Called it.

CrazyLittle posted:

Was that guy really a mod on polygon?
Did he actually call the cops on anyone?
Ever consider that he was trolling gamergate same way that "momsagainstgam" is?
Can you tell me the difference between the threats, "I'm gonna call the cops" and "I'm going to kill you, your family, and here's their address"?
Who created the "gamer+" image, anyways?

Oh hey somebody gave :10bux: more to Lowtax in my name.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

whoflungpoop posted:

Ive liked video games all my life and I've never understood this either

But then again people who argue endlessly about video games don't actually enjoy playing them to begin with

When I want to play a game I usually dig through Games and check the OPs. If none of those interest me there's usually a recommendation thread.

I bought a game based on a demo once (brutal legend) and never repeated that mistake.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

EasternBronze posted:

I really can't understand how so many seemingly unconnected parts of the internet all seem to be in lock-step agreement about this.

at first I thought this was all dumb poo poo and wouldn't go anywhere. But then this. And if you rope in the celeb nude pics, imgur/reddit risk just as much heat.

I really thought it would be dumb niche poo poo, but the lock-step agreement is definitely weird. Did zoe bang rupert murdoch?

Also, did anyone watch indie movie? I could barely watch it, especially when that one dude almost cried over internet comments demanding "where is my game u dumb idiot ausitimsal fag?!"

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 3, 2014

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

NICE! It looks just like all the other #gamergate pics.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cyberball 2072 posted:

And to add to your question what should we expect from them. Pretty sure I pissed off Gerstmann last week on his stream asking similar questions (why do we have games press?) about stories they seemingly had no interest in pursuing. Giant bomb may consider itself more "entertainment tonight" than "6 o clock news" but they do run actual news stories from time to time. As a reader/listener it becomes frustrating because it creates a situation where I can't tell if I should expect them to investigate a story or not. When called on it they say, well that's not us, we're enthusiast press, not reporters or journalists, which would be fine but that isn't always the case.

Challenge anyone with a bullshit job and they will get defensive, because they know they're ultimately useless and expendable.

It's telling that AN ENTIRE loving INDUSTRY has become collectively defensive in the past few weeks.

Also quite hilarious.

Get real jobs you fucks.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Can someone TLDR that picture for me?

Ian Miles Cheong is a writer for a gaming site who was big on criticizing a lot of people for criticizing the Tropes v Women. Turns out, he's a huge racist.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Forums Barber posted:

in his... defense(?), I don't think Jeff gives a gently caress about much of anything these days.

you know, id heard people say things to the effect of "jeff totally doesnt care about video games anymore" but thought they were just reading too much into an internet guy. then at their recent pax thing they did he basically said "lol loving videogames i just wanna drive around america in a van and make videos of dumb poo poo"

sounds like hes getting a bit too old for some of this. otoh he has bad opinions on zelda games so i cant defend him

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

SunAndSpring posted:

Ian Miles Cheong is a writer for a gaming site who was big on criticizing a lot of people for criticizing the Tropes v Women. Turns out, he's a huge racist.

Wasn't he also a Reddit moderator who lost his position because he was a corrupt rear end in a top hat?

EDIT: http://www.dailydot.com/society/reddit-hire-spam-ian-miles-cheong-sollnvictus/

ahahahahahahahahaha

Tobias Grant fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 3, 2014

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

CrazyLittle posted:

Heh. Called it.

Oh hey somebody gave :10bux: more to Lowtax in my name.

stop quoting yourself fag boy

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Charity turns down Reddit's pity money for looking at stolen celebrity photos
Prostate Cancer Foundation returns funds raised in the wake of Celebgate

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/2/6099005/charity-turns-down-reddits-pity-money-for-looking-at-stolen-celebrity

quote:

Reddit users raised more than $5,000 for the Prostate Cancer Foundation earlier today, but the organization doesn't want a dime. The reasoning? The money was raised on r/TheFappening, the now-infamous section of Reddit where more than 100 celebrity nude photos, the result of an iButt hack electronic break-in (or maybe many iButt electronic break-ins), were widely distributed.

No thanks, the PCF said in response:
A post appeared on Reddit late Monday afternoon, September 1, 2014. A Reddit user directed other Reddit users to make a donation to the Prostate Cancer Foundation without the Foundation’s knowledge. We would never condone raising funds for cancer research in this manner. Out of respect for everyone involved and in keeping with our own standards, we are returning all donations that resulted from this post.

What's the over/under that the prostate foundation will reject TYFC's donations after emails claiming it's tainted money (from harassing women on the Internet)?

What's the over/under that TFYC get to the point where they are making money from the game and have to donate money to charity?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Maybe I have to have rainbow hair to see the appeal. She looks like my grand..ma ... with.. purple... hair... :qq: GRANDMA NOOOO! :qq:

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 3, 2014

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Maybe I have to have rainbow hair to see the appeal. She looks like my grandma with purple... hair... GRANDMA NOOOO!

I think you need to have severe lingering insecurities from high school to see the appeal to be honest

Is anyone else glad they haven't jeopardized their career to slam a 4 or 5/10? 'Cause I am

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Maybe I have to have rainbow hair to see the appeal. She looks like my grandma with purple... hair... GRANDMA NOOOO!

She's pissed because it has 0 calories.

GentlemanBrofro
Mar 9, 2011

by Lowtax
What did that BBC article even do in the end? My first thought was "Oh god damnit really?" But it was pretty immediately shoved into the background. Then again, it was just more glossing diatribe that we've seen for literally the past two weeks.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

She's pissed because it has 0 calories.

:lol:

GentlemanBrofro posted:

What did that BBC article even do in the end? My first thought was "Oh god damnit really?" But it was pretty immediately shoved into the background. Then again, it was just more glossing diatribe that we've seen for literally the past two weeks.

Yeah basically just more fuel on the fire. I get the impression every time this thing starts to die down there will be another article like that.

Bondage
Jun 9, 2008

by Ralp

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Lol 5 guys sold out what little credibility they had to bang this ugly chick

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011

Bondage posted:

Lol 5 guys sold out what little credibility they had to bang this ugly chick

you didn't hear about her ex-boyfriend's latest revelations? He estimates that within the gaming industry alone, it was closer to ninety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Radical posted:

you know, id heard people say things to the effect of "jeff totally doesnt care about video games anymore" but thought they were just reading too much into an internet guy. then at their recent pax thing they did he basically said "lol loving videogames i just wanna drive around america in a van and make videos of dumb poo poo"

sounds like hes getting a bit too old for some of this. otoh he has bad opinions on zelda games so i cant defend him

As a peer in age to him and as someone who was known socially to be into games I get that part of it. Many times this year when new games come up as a topic of discussion I've found myself saying, "I kinda don't care anymore, I just play the same 2 games and don't care about new releases but the weird industry that makes the drat things is where all my interest is these days"

• Locked thread