Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Don't people get that any card that makes multiple flying creatures is very good by now?

You're misunderstanding. This is probably the best card they've shown. Its just not a very "mythic" card. Mythics aren't supposed to be just better than Rares - they're supposed to have splashy, flavorful effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Angry Grimace posted:

That's like the least "mythic" Mythic I've seen.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

Hour of Need is looking mighty spicy post rotation.
It won't be good but I completely want to build a temur ascendency + hour of need deck. A revelation indeed.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

"Put CARD from your hand onto the battlefield" is an inherently splashy effect though.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

You're misunderstanding. This is probably the best card they've shown. Its just not a very "mythic" card. Mythics aren't supposed to be just better than Rares - they're supposed to have splashy, flavorful effects.

Ehh. It's just mythic because it's too powerful in limited.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
More mythic than flame-wreathed phoenix. Just pretend it has the dragon subtype. Doesn't die to Elspeth either!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I'm quite excited for that card, it'll be a house for as long as it's in standard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I feel like there should be a reprint of Relentless Assault as a Mardu card just for flavor reasons alone.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Giant rocs are loving cool you shut your mouth

The picture should have some scale elephants

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

This must be a really wonky set for limited and its cards like that Roc at mythic that have me really curious as to what they have planned. If this set was designed largely around the 'turn' of drafting the small set with both large sets, there are probably some balance issues and they are certainly showing.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I think it follows the Brimaz path of Mythics where it Does Too Many Things.
Brimaz made a 1/1 when blocking, made a 1/1 when attacking, was a 3/4 for 4 mana, and everything involved with him had vigilance. He was also a cat, which made him part of a (poorly supported) tribe.

This bird is a 5 mana 3/4 in the air, which is borderline uncommon then it gives you another bird, then it gives you 1 life per attacking creature, in a deck/on a plan that wants you to attack with creatures every turn to get cool Raid effects. Since it isn't a legendary, you could also totally just play two of these in a row and demand your opponent have the wrath. The life gain lets you be more aggressive, the birds give you a real clock and unless Temur or Jeskai have serious Air power this thing is a monster.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Obviously the plan is to turn him into a dragon in Louie. Also, I hope they do the AVR thing and have the louie basics be Khans basics with dragons drawn on them.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I almost wonder if B/W Tokens could be a thing in this block. If Brave the Elements were still around, white value creatures with Brimaz and this guy would be tough to pass up running.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 3, 2014

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Two 3/4s for 5 in monocolor with further upside is very, very pushed. Broodmate Dragon had 4/4s which does mean something, but I'd say that the 4th point of toughness matters more than the 4th point of power for removal purposes, and more importantly the Roc is a LOT easier to cast.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Anyone who's not watching the Vintage Super League just missed the most insane game I've ever seen. Rich Shay vs. Tom Martell.

In related news, I finally finished my online Vintage deck here. It's just Caleb Durward's Survival of the Fittest deck. I tried 3 2-mans. All 3 were Gush-Storm. What fun. Then I played (very badly, I'm sure) 2 rounds against Rich. I lost 0/2 in the first round and 2/1 in the 2nd. It's a really fun deck, but it's really hard to play. Sometimes you get the busted turn 1 Lotus, Survival, discard Vine for Rootwalla, discard 2 Rootwallas in a row for 8 power on turn 1. Less fun is getting Mindslavered and having him Survival all of my Rootwallas away.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Angry Grimace posted:

I almost wonder if B/W Tokens could be a thing in this block. If Brave the Elements were still around, white value creatures with Brimaz and this guy would be tough to pass up running.

May as well make it Mardu tokens, Purphoros is extremely good in any token deck for late game reach.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Zorak posted:

Giant rocs are loving cool you shut your mouth

The picture should have some scale elephants

It's not the roc's fault the picture makes him look tiny, they should have had him carrying one of those elephants in his talons or something.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

The Sultai is looking to me the most interesting of the khans, I am liking the interaction between courser of kruphix, sidisi, fetchlands, the new jace +1 and the delve mechanic to make a very synergistic deck able to sift through the deck really quickly and efficiently while providing card advantage. I really hope they make the Sultai Ascendancy around the exile/graveyard mechanic too, something like "Whenever a creature card gets exiled, target opponent loses one life" or something like that.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
Will anyone trade me as much of this stuff as possible?
Akroma, Angel of Fury
Horizon Canopy (need 3)
Noble Hierarch (need 3)
Gaddock Teeg

https://deckbox.org/sets/461038?s=j&o=d
Big ticket items in there:
3x Grove of the Burnwillows
Adun Oakenshield
2x Brimaz
Dack Fayden
various shocks

(all the stuff is for sale too)

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
New spoiler!

That U/R artifacts deck? That's totally happening. Hell, even Robots might have some use for something like that.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010

Niton posted:

New spoiler!

That U/R artifacts deck? That's totally happening. Hell, even Robots might have some use for something like that.

I play Affinity almost exclusively, and I just don't see that being as good as Cranial Plating. They both end up costing 1 to equip on a colorless creature, but Cranial can turn even Ornithopter into a huge threat. Affinity does not want a drawn out game, and playing this over Plating does that.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
That card is obviously very strong, but the most interesting thing is that it references colourless creatures. I wonder if the second set will be colourless themed?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

newtestleper posted:

That card is obviously very strong, but the most interesting thing is that it references colourless creatures. I wonder if the second set will be colourless themed?

We know Ugin is involved in the story and that Ugin's thing is being colorless. It's a pretty safe bet that colorless will be a theme later in the block.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

newtestleper posted:

Morph creatures

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
At the moment, the point is using it with morph, since face-down creatures are colorless.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Lottery of Babylon posted:

We know Ugin is involved in the story and that Ugin's thing is being colorless. It's a pretty safe bet that colorless will be a theme later in the block.

Ghostflame itself is Ugin's thing.

It might be neat if colourless was relevant and Ghostflame was made part of a cycle with colourless spells with costs in the other colours.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

BizarroAzrael posted:

Ghostflame itself is Ugin's thing.

It might be neat if colourless was relevant and Ghostflame was made part of a cycle with colourless spells with costs in the other colours.

That would be interesting, I'm just curious how it'd go off. One of the things that made people talk about Ghostflame back during its release in Time Spiral block was its ability to dodge pro-red (even if it didn't lead to its extensive play). I imagine the other ones would have some sort of effect on creatures as well, that would sort of key in on the protection-dodging aspect. Blue and black seem easy enough with bounce and straight-up creature kill, but I'm not sure what white/green would do, at least not anything that would lend itself to common rarity besides maybe damage to fliers/flier destruction for green.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
pacify or o ring effect.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Zorak posted:

From the Magic Show

This thing is sick and flavortown as hell.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Just bought four clash packs for the Coursers. Here's to hoping hes playable after rotation.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
It's kind of funny how Ghostfire Blade will make your morphs trigger Ferocious

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

End of Life Guy posted:

Just bought four clash packs for the Coursers. Here's to hoping hes playable after rotation.

I'd be stunned if he wasn't.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

End of Life Guy posted:

If you mean when he falls out of Standard completely, he does see some play in Modern I think.

If your talking about Theros/Khans Standard, he'll definitely see play because Fetches are a thing.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zorak posted:

It's kind of funny how Ghostfire Blade will make your morphs trigger Ferocious

I have no doubt this was on purpose

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

If you mean when he falls out of Standard completely, he does see some play in Modern I think.

If your talking about Theros/Khans Standard, he'll definitely see play because Fetches are a thing.

Even if fetches weren't a thing, he would see SOME play. He's a grindy little card advantage engine that blocks 3 power threats and gains life.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

End of Life Guy posted:

Trade me the pretty foils.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

End of Life Guy posted:

I also did this. I wanted the foils too, but suddenly coursers spiking made it worth it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Niton posted:

New spoiler!

To think Vulshok Morningstar was a common (yeah this is better when built around and maybe in general, but still).

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

To think Vulshok Morningstar was a common (yeah this is better when built around and maybe in general, but still).

Vulshok Morningstar is insane in limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Bonesplitter was also common. This was a terrible decision and Wizards has learnt from it.

I have fond (by which I mean embarrassing) memories of being beaten down by Dryad Militants with a Civic Saber on them in RTR cube. Bonesplitter is Bonesplitter, no matter the supporting cast.

• Locked thread