Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Pureauthor posted:

Pokemon Musou,

Dynasty Warcraft

A goon after my own heart.

Also acceptable: Warrior Warriors, where Satan is invading the mortal realms or something, so warriors from the greatest periods in history are gathered from across time to fight his demon armies. Odysseus, Achilles, Ajax, Paris, Alexander; Spartacus, Julius Caesar, Hannibal, Scipio; the big hitters from DW and SW (plus Cheng Pu); dudes from India, Korea, and Southeast Asia; Charles the Hammer, Richard the Lionheart, Saladin, Harald Fairhair; Tlahuicole; Yuknoom the Great; Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull; Grant, Lee, Sherman; Teddy Roosevelt; Montgomery, Patton, Eisenhower, Zhukov; Audie Murphy, you get the idea.

Against the demons of loving hell with dudes like Vlad the Impaler, Hitler, Stalin, and others on the other side. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You basically just described Warriors Orochi 3 to be honest.

RazzMatazz
Oct 25, 2005
The soundtrack alone for a Castlevania Warriors game would be loving bananas

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

RazzMatazz posted:

The soundtrack alone for a Castlevania Warriors game would be loving bananas

It'd basically be Castlevania Judgment's soundtrack, which was incidentally the best part of that game.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

DaveCG posted:

Naruto Warriors. Great, now I feel dirty.

No joke I would play the poo poo out of it. Naruto games have a tendency to be kickin' rad.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Warriors_(film)

(Has a game already, I know.)

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

DaveCG posted:

Naruto Warriors. Great, now I feel dirty.

It already kind of exists as Naruto Shippūden: Ultimate Ninja Impact, though admittedly it was a pretty poor musou clone.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I hope Dynasty Warriors 9 tells the Romance story the way it is meant to be told.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlm5P-OF6lk

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate is up but the purchase is all hosed up apparently so you can't actually download the game and it goes all weird

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Chocobo posted:

I hope Dynasty Warriors 9 tells the Romance story the way it is meant to be told.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlm5P-OF6lk

DW9 Liu Bei's weapon: Liu Shan.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

MotU posted:

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate is up but the purchase is all hosed up apparently so you can't actually download the game and it goes all weird

Physical copy works just fine, though. :smug:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
You could also go for JoJo's Bizarre Warriors.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Maleketh posted:

Physical copy works just fine, though. :smug:

Didn't have the option to get anywhere today. It is kind of bullshit because customer support is loving terrible and just keeps asking me if I bought the PS3 version by accident and if I want a refund

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Got WO3 Ultimate for PS4 from Amazon today after playing DW8XL on PS3; despite being on a newer system, the former is still a bit clunkier than the latter, although I don't know what I expected since WO3 is super old compared to DW8.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

RoyalScion posted:

Got WO3 Ultimate for PS4 from Amazon today after playing DW8XL on PS3; despite being on a newer system, the former is still a bit clunkier than the latter, although I don't know what I expected since WO3 is super old compared to DW8.

Whoever decided that the call horse button should be bound to anything on the D-pad can go to hell. But otherwise it's as great as I remember it being. Between Gauntlet Mode and the promotion system, I expect to be busy for quite a while.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Dunno if I was doing something wrong, but I tried to pull out a level 2 person from some leveling in the battle of Dongkou and Huang Gai suplexed me and killed me in like one hit; is this one of those do not pursue lubu things?

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Fire Emblem Musou.

Pokemon Musou

We almost got the latter, but The Pokemon Company wanted Nobunaga's Ambition instead, so we got Pokemon Conquest. They kinda sorta compromised on it by using the Samurai Warriors character designs, though. (Note that this article was written before Conquest was announced for a western release)

That said I really hope Hyrule Warriors' success encourages a Fire Emblem game, or possibly even make TPC reconsider.

Truxton fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 2, 2014

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

RoyalScion posted:

Dunno if I was doing something wrong, but I tried to pull out a level 2 person from some leveling in the battle of Dongkou and Huang Gai suplexed me and killed me in like one hit; is this one of those do not pursue lubu things?

That's Warriors Orochi. Enemies inflict way more damage, and it's not abnormal for an under-leveled character to be killed in one shot by a Musou attack. Level that guy in an earlier stage, or use growth point to level him artificially.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

When will a new DW game come out that allows me to create a beautiful band of busty bodyguards ala DW4?

I liked being able to create my own bodyguards and to also make them basically a harem of female ninjas dedicated to my survival.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Maleketh posted:

That's Warriors Orochi. Enemies inflict way more damage, and it's not abnormal for an under-leveled character to be killed in one shot by a Musou attack. Level that guy in an earlier stage, or use growth point to level him artificially.

Yeah, enemies seem so much more aggressive too; I start running towards them and an entire unit tries to jump forward and stab me 90% of the time. Kind of wish there was some kind of real tutorial in this game like in DW8.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

khy posted:

When will a new DW game come out that allows me to create a beautiful band of busty bodyguards ala DW4?

I liked being able to create my own bodyguards and to also make them basically a harem of female ninjas dedicated to my survival.

I think Empires has a character/bodyguard creation mode but I'm not 100% on that.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

RoyalScion posted:

Yeah, enemies seem so much more aggressive too; I start running towards them and an entire unit tries to jump forward and stab me 90% of the time. Kind of wish there was some kind of real tutorial in this game like in DW8.

You can always play on Easy, though Normal is better since Easy doesn't give you Crystals.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

The new Bladestorm is coming out for ps3 and xbox one too.

Also,

quote:

This new edition of the game will be split up into two distinct sections. In the Hundred Years’ War portion, the game will focus on depicting the titular historical war, as before, featuring such historical figures as Edward, the Black Prince of Wales and Joan of Arc. Meanwhile, in the newly added Nightmare portion, the game will showcase battles in a fantasy world that feature creatures as goblins, cyclopses, and dragons, with the creatures themselves able to be utilized by players. The game is also set to this time let players switch between controlling four squads, as well as offer greater tactical depth than the previous incarnation all around.

Neat

e: oh it's actually just in the game's name. duuuuuuuuh

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 3, 2014

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Maleketh posted:

You can always play on Easy, though Normal is better since Easy doesn't give you Crystals.

It's not that bad, just surprising since DW8 is so much more forgiving, so I was kind of expecting the same thing. Listening to the voice acting though, I wonder how many times they've reused the same lines...

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

straight jerkers posted:

The new Bladestorm is coming out for ps3 and xbox one too.

Thank gently caress for that. I'm so ready to mash polesword faces into things.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
I probably should have asked this before I bought it, but how is Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate on the Vita? Any problems or other things I'll regret?

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

pairofdimes posted:

I probably should have asked this before I bought it, but how is Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate on the Vita? Any problems or other things I'll regret?

let me know how it is when you finally play it. I really wanted to get a ps4 for this but I don't have the funds but I got a Vita. I hope it plays well.

polish sausage fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 3, 2014

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Speaking of questions of orochi 3, I recall the old version, (I had it on xbox 360 for a while) had a dumb thing with multiplayer when I wanted to do it with a friend. Turns out you cannot play any mission on multiplayer until you beat it in singleplayer. Both players must do this. It's dumb, and kind of defeats the purpose. I was curious if ultimate does the same thing. (Getting it for ps3)

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
What are some recommended weapons to use in Dynasty Warriors 8, anyway? I've played through the blue team story, the red team story, and part of the green team's story so far, and I've found that in general I like polearms (spear, halberd, etc.). They feel effective to me, so far. I've tried some of the weirder weapons like bombs or a bow and they don't feel as easy to use.

Stylistically, I've always liked a sword-n-shield, but it doesn't feel as good against hundreds of dudes. Though it does have a move where you surf on a shield. Iron gauntlets look cool too, but it seems more tricky to use well.

There's just so many weapons to choose from in the game, even though I've played through two of the story campaigns, I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface on weapon choices. In general I've just been using whatever weapon is the preferred weapon for the character I'm using, then pair it with some other weapon they have 4-star compatibility with.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

HJE-Cobra posted:

What are some recommended weapons to use in Dynasty Warriors 8, anyway? I've played through the blue team story, the red team story, and part of the green team's story so far, and I've found that in general I like polearms (spear, halberd, etc.). They feel effective to me, so far. I've tried some of the weirder weapons like bombs or a bow and they don't feel as easy to use.

Stylistically, I've always liked a sword-n-shield, but it doesn't feel as good against hundreds of dudes. Though it does have a move where you surf on a shield. Iron gauntlets look cool too, but it seems more tricky to use well.

There's just so many weapons to choose from in the game, even though I've played through two of the story campaigns, I still feel like I've barely scratched the surface on weapon choices. In general I've just been using whatever weapon is the preferred weapon for the character I'm using, then pair it with some other weapon they have 4-star compatibility with.

That's pretty much the way to go.

Halberds are really good because of the switch attack, and Throwing Knives are insanely broken if you infuse them with the right elements, but if you do that you will kind of ruin the game for yourself.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Use any weapon, it's ultimately genocide. That said, my favorite weapon is the Crosspike because with Linq Qi you have a very fast and comboable moveset that's unblockable and super juggleable.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Most of the people using polearms have either been given the hero treatment(Zhao Yun, Dragon Spear) or the badass treatment(Halberd, Lu Bu).

You've got 57 different weapons and so you'll get 57 different responses-most of the weapons are effective.

In my own case, I'll use two copies of the character's weapon, with the exception of Diao Chan, who is aping Lu Bu and using a Halberd as secondary because it amuses me to do so. I believe Cai Wenji is using a Nine Ring Blade(Sun Jian's weapon) along with her Harp for SHOCKWAVES EVERYWHERE. I like the Harp in itself.

In the end, you have to use your own judgement.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

KoldPT posted:

Halberds are really good because of the switch attack

Halberds are insanely broken, and they make otherwise strict time requirements for weapon unlocks extremely lenient. I do prefer keeping the halberds as Lu Bu only for that reason, though.

Honestly, with the exception of a couple duds like the crossbow I found most weapons perfectly serviceable even if they're not in the top twenty. I'd say just keep using characters EX weapons as you play through the story mode and you'll find your own favorites.

Edit:

Bloodly posted:

In my own case, I'll use two copies of the character's weapon,

I'm glad I'm not the only one to do that. While having everyone be able to use everything is a cool feature I like having every character feel as unique as possible.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 3, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I tend to stick with any given character's favored weapon and then use a good mounted weapon (I'm a fan of harps or pugil sticks but halberds/dagger axes are good too) for the secondary.

That being said, Sun Shang Xiang and her hoops of death for life.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Halberd is pretty much the strongest weapon. Other really good weapons are that one fan, the wheels, bow & rod and that one woman's weapon that has all the aoe attacks. I think its either the flute or the whip.

Really bad weapons are the ranged ones (haung zhong is okay though) and the ones the new pretty boys on wei got

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

KoldPT posted:

That's pretty much the way to go.

Halberds are really good because of the switch attack, and Throwing Knives are insanely broken if you infuse them with the right elements, but if you do that you will kind of ruin the game for yourself.

a cartoon duck posted:

Halberds are insanely broken, and they make otherwise strict time requirements for weapon unlocks extremely lenient. I do prefer keeping the halberds as Lu Bu only for that reason, though.

Honestly, with the exception of a couple duds like the crossbow I found most weapons perfectly serviceable even if they're not in the top twenty. I'd say just keep using characters EX weapons as you play through the story mode and you'll find your own favorites.

Edit:

I'm glad I'm not the only one to do that. While having everyone be able to use everything is a cool feature I like having every character feel as unique as possible.

I had noticed that when I switched to a halberd it seemed to super-buff it for a few seconds, allowing me to horribly murder everything. I wasn't sure what it was that was causing that in my setup, if it was the character or a specific weapon or what.

Is that all halberds then? Just when you switch to it, you're unstoppable? That... does seem a bit powerful.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The regular bow is a pretty powerful ranged weapon but the rest are pretty awful.

Wire gloves are an odd one. At first you'll think they're crap but the combos they can do are really powerful.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

HJE-Cobra posted:

I had noticed that when I switched to a halberd it seemed to super-buff it for a few seconds, allowing me to horribly murder everything. I wasn't sure what it was that was causing that in my setup, if it was the character or a specific weapon or what.

Is that all halberds then? Just when you switch to it, you're unstoppable? That... does seem a bit powerful.

What do you expect from Lu Bu's weapon? Normality?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Right, double Halberds are considered the best weapons because they have 1) long reach 2) Switching to it guard breaks 3) gives you invincibility frames on start-up 4) Buffs your attack speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Wire gloves are an odd one. At first you'll think they're crap but the combos they can do are really powerful.

The wire gloves are my favorite weapon and Zhang Chunhua‎‎ is my favorite Spider Man.