Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Are Pyromancies worth a drat? My first character was an INT/FTH caster for most of his life so I never used Pyromancy because everything else outclassed it by such a wide margin. Are any of the new Pyromancies any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Good for PvP.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Time_pants posted:

Are Pyromancies worth a drat? My first character was an INT/FTH caster for most of his life so I never used Pyromancy because everything else outclassed it by such a wide margin. Are any of the new Pyromancies any good?
Currently I'm playing a pyromancy only dude and I gotta say it is loving awesome on NG+ with two fully upgraded flames and a few extra casts of all your go to spells.

Pyromancies don't take a stat investment like magic does. You can be good at pyromancy on anyone.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Motherfucker posted:

Currently I'm playing a pyromancy only dude and I gotta say it is loving awesome on NG+ with two fully upgraded flames and a few extra casts of all your go to spells.

Pyromancies don't take a stat investment like magic does. You can be good at pyromancy on anyone.

Attunement is a stat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Attunement is a stat.

Southern Band +1.

Adding the max damage to pyro is like 30 Int+Faith and it's barely 300 more damage on average which isn't worth it unless you're running a ton of flame stuff and yet not going into Hex.

Tae fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 3, 2014

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

As a shield user, does it matter much if I use great swords or ultra great swords as one handed?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Acidian posted:

As a shield user, does it matter much if I use great swords or ultra great swords as one handed?

What you have in your off hand doesn't matter. Greatswords do less damage but are faster than UGS and have lower requirements to use and the movesets are different. GS are lighter than UGS too. Those are the only things you need to consider.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Those Alonne Knights got some fancy moves

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Acidian posted:

If you meet the minimum requirements of the weapon you can use it in one hand, doesn't matter how big it is. Great swords, in particular, have really excellent movesets in one hand, so even if you want to challenge yourself and play the game without a shield, you will frequently want to one-hand them. You shouldn't think of yourself as playing a "shield user". Every character should carry a good shield, and anyone who doesn't is purposefully making the game harder. A shield is a very important tool that makes a gigantic difference in some fights, but that doesn't mean you should use it all the time. Sometimes you'll be better off using your weapons' two-handed movesets and sometimes you'll fight enemies you can't block and against whom a shield is useless. So practice with both the two-handed and one-handed movesets of your weapons and figure out when to use each. Use a variety of weapons and figure out what you like the best. The stuff sold by the blacksmith in Majula seems basic, but many people consider weapons like the longsword, the estoc and the mace to be the best in the game. The rapier is worth a try too. There is a straight upgrade to it eventually, but you don't get it until just before fighting the last boss. Try dual-wielding. If you have 1.5 times the strength and dexterity requirements of your weapons, you can hold down 'Y' and attack with both weapons at the same time using L1 and L2. My first time through I dual-wielded a longsword and a mace, which gives a really versatile combination of moves that combo well with each other (Try R1 into L1, for example. The L1 will come out much faster if it follows a straight sword R1.) Of the weapons you have available to you now, I think the one with the most user-friendly moveset is probably the Drangleic Sword. Though the sword itself is outclassed by other weapons available later, it deals very solid damage and the moveset is excellent. Great swords are fast, hit hard, stagger well and have very versatile movesets with a good combination of quick slashes, wide and powerful swings and long-reaching thrusts.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
For me at least I only go for minimum stat reqs if the one handed moves are worth using. For example smelter hammer has a decent R1 attack one handed.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I am bad with the wiki as you all know by now from my questions. :v:
Where can i see what the chaos blade powerstances with?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
So... Did you know Sir Alonne can parry you?

Because Sir Alonne can parry you. And follow up.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Flytrap posted:

On that note has anyone managed to parry Sir Alonne?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Flytrap posted:

I fought him a lot for the alternate death animation and that never happened to me. Did you attack him from the front before he started a combo? Does it work the same as his Pursuer stab where he powers up? I wanna know how this works.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
So like I've noticed that arrows do less damage the further they fly. Is that dependent on their range stat? Or do all bows lose the same amount at the same distances. Basically I'm wondering if using the hawk ring will increase my damage done with a how at a given range compared to not using the ring.

Acidian
Nov 24, 2006

Heithinn Grasida posted:

If you meet the minimum requirements of the weapon you can use it in one hand, doesn't matter how big it is. Great swords, in particular, have really excellent movesets in one hand, so even if you want to challenge yourself and play the game without a shield, you will frequently want to one-hand them. You shouldn't think of yourself as playing a "shield user". Every character should carry a good shield, and anyone who doesn't is purposefully making the game harder. A shield is a very important tool that makes a gigantic difference in some fights, but that doesn't mean you should use it all the time. Sometimes you'll be better off using your weapons' two-handed movesets and sometimes you'll fight enemies you can't block and against whom a shield is useless. So practice with both the two-handed and one-handed movesets of your weapons and figure out when to use each. Use a variety of weapons and figure out what you like the best. The stuff sold by the blacksmith in Majula seems basic, but many people consider weapons like the longsword, the estoc and the mace to be the best in the game. The rapier is worth a try too. There is a straight upgrade to it eventually, but you don't get it until just before fighting the last boss. Try dual-wielding. If you have 1.5 times the strength and dexterity requirements of your weapons, you can hold down 'Y' and attack with both weapons at the same time using L1 and L2. My first time through I dual-wielded a longsword and a mace, which gives a really versatile combination of moves that combo well with each other (Try R1 into L1, for example. The L1 will come out much faster if it follows a straight sword R1.) Of the weapons you have available to you now, I think the one with the most user-friendly moveset is probably the Drangleic Sword. Though the sword itself is outclassed by other weapons available later, it deals very solid damage and the moveset is excellent. Great swords are fast, hit hard, stagger well and have very versatile movesets with a good combination of quick slashes, wide and powerful swings and long-reaching thrusts.

Dex requirements is my Achilles heel here. I think I have like 6 dex, and every time I get a new weapon I don´t meet the dex requirements. This includes the Drangleic sword. It seemed good when I got it, but having to get 20 dex to use it, when other GS might not require that much dex seemed like a waste at the time? I think I will give dual wielding a go just to see what it´s like, but not until I have the weapons I would like and 1.5 str/dex. The blacksmith mace is pretty good, but I would like something that looks kinda cool as well. Hence I am never getting the great club thing whatever, even if I see people love it.

How important are the S/A/B strength contributions for damage? I think I read somewhere that it´s more important to get a weapon to +10 than it is to bother leveling up the main stat contributor of the weapon. Since leveling the weapon requires stuff I don´t have yet, then is strength worth leveling for doing more damage, or is the contribution so low that it´s not worth the souls? I assume that a 165 GS with S contribution from str will be worse than a 180 GS with B contribution from str, up until having X amount of str? However, If the damage intersection is at 80str, then it wouldn't be worth it.

Which brings me to another question. Do certain weapons benefit more from being reinforced than others? Like a weapon might seem bad on paper at +0, but if you get it to +10 it is better than all the other weapons out there?

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Sir Alonne parries like the Lost Sinner can parry; he tilts his sword diagonally downward and if you attack him from the front while he holds the stance you'll get parried and riposted.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

So like I've noticed that arrows do less damage the further they fly. Is that dependent on their range stat? Or do all bows lose the same amount at the same distances. Basically I'm wondering if using the hawk ring will increase my damage done with a how at a given range compared to not using the ring.

Everything deals less damage the further away you are. Try it out with magic and you'll notice the same thing happening.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Acidian posted:

How important are the S/A/B strength contributions for damage? I think I read somewhere that it´s more important to get a weapon to +10 than it is to bother leveling up the main stat contributor of the weapon. Since leveling the weapon requires stuff I don´t have yet, then is strength worth leveling for doing more damage, or is the contribution so low that it´s not worth the souls? I assume that a 165 GS with S contribution from str will be worse than a 180 GS with B contribution from str, up until having X amount of str? However, If the damage intersection is at 80str, then it wouldn't be worth it.

It depends, there might a calculator thingy for this, but S scaling (S being the best is a Japanese thing) is way better than B, you should probably always go for that one if you care about min-maxing.

e: right, here's the damage calculator, just type in your stats and find the weapon in question in the list

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Acidian posted:

Which brings me to another question. Do certain weapons benefit more from being reinforced than others? Like a weapon might seem bad on paper at +0, but if you get it to +10 it is better than all the other weapons out there?

Scaling's important for optimizing but upgrading is definitely more important. If you're using ROB+Flynn's that'll raise your scaling damage more than your stats most of the time. It's also not worth working out damage curves or whatever because the difference isn't that great, just get 40 str or enough to wield the weapon you want (or 99 to powerstance silly things) and forget about it.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

So where does it say Raime is Velstadt's brother?

Nowhere that I know of. The pre-DLC info on Raime comes from the Rebel's Greatshield:

Shield of the rebel Raime.

Raime and Velstadt were known as
the left- and right-arms of the King,
until their wills clashed, and Raime was
deemed a traitor.

The black raven is despised as an augur
of death, but it was Raime's favorite bird.

Scrree posted:

Sir Alonne parries like the Lost Sinner can parry; he tilts his sword diagonally downward and if you attack him from the front while he holds the stance you'll get parried and riposted.

The Lost Sinner can parry? Still learning new stuff about the base game...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

poo poo, never read the Rebel Shield description. Was the 2nd DLC really cut content then?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

No, the DLC was obviously planned long before the game was released. Did you think they just shat this out in the month between the last DLC and now?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

No, the DLC was obviously planned long before the game was released. Did you think they just shat this out in the month between the last DLC and now?

That's what everyone assumed once that one From guy said "Nope, no DLC planned."

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer

Suitaru posted:

Nowhere that I know of. The pre-DLC info on Raime comes from the Rebel's Greatshield:

Shield of the rebel Raime.

Raime and Velstadt were known as
the left- and right-arms of the King,
until their wills clashed, and Raime was
deemed a traitor.

The black raven is despised as an augur
of death, but it was Raime's favorite bird.

After seeing that he was called the King's "Left Arm" in-game, I've used Raime's armor with his shield and left handing the Majestic Greatsword while wearing his ring. If it weren't for the description of the Majestic Greatsword saying it was used by someone in Forossa I would have thought it was his weapon before becoming the Fume Knight. It matches up with his armor and shield pretty good!

He was clearly an Artorias wannabe in my books. :colbert:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Tae posted:

poo poo, never read the Rebel Shield description. Was the 2nd DLC really cut content then?
The DLC feels different (in a good way) enough that it isn't cut content in the way you probably mean it.
They likely left open ends about stuff that was cut before an actual finished map/design stage, and adjusted/finished/expanded it for the DLC.

Cut content is like Mafia 2 where the publisher made the studio cut out 90% completed stuff and hack it into DLC, this is more like remnants of old concepts and beta mapversions that where refurbished as DLC.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ha, the NPCs will not only taunt enemies and bosses, they will taunt every time they enter a new room and take time out of keeping you alive to taunt some more.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Tae posted:

The DLC was probably cut content in the same way that Artorias of the Abyss was cut content in Dark Souls 1. Even after code digging I don't think anyone found most of the DLC stuff on-disk after the game was released, so this was likely all stuff that was half-finished or so by the time of release and they had to cut it out. They're just finishing it post-release and letting us have it anyway.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If they were that kind they should have finished bed of chaos too. :colbert:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Iretep posted:

If they were that kind they should have finished bed of chaos too. :colbert:

And the graphics at the crystal cave.

:v:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
On that note, both the Black Knight Greatsword and the Claymore match up with the Faraam set very well, with the Claymore slightly edging it out in my opinion. Still haven't found a nice matching shield, but the Heide Tower Shield is working pretty well.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Acidian posted:

Dex requirements is my Achilles heel here. I think I have like 6 dex, and every time I get a new weapon I don´t meet the dex requirements. This includes the Drangleic sword. It seemed good when I got it, but having to get 20 dex to use it, when other GS might not require that much dex seemed like a waste at the time? I think I will give dual wielding a go just to see what it´s like, but not until I have the weapons I would like and 1.5 str/dex. The blacksmith mace is pretty good, but I would like something that looks kinda cool as well. Hence I am never getting the great club thing whatever, even if I see people love it.

If you want something that functions like the great club but looks cool, get the Dragon Tooth whenever you get to the Dragon Aerie. It's literally a six-foot-long stone tooth and it's great.

It requires 60 strength to one-hand, but people should never be afraid to two-hand heavy weapons.

Even as someone who likes greatswords and uses them a lot, I've never tried the Drangleic sword, simply because it's so drat short. It's basically the size of a straight sword, without the speed advantage that makes straight swords good despite the lack of range. Then you factor in the stat requirements and yeah, it seems pretty useless.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 3, 2014

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Acidian posted:

Okay, I'll try to go for an in depth response. The weapon system is a convoluted mess, so the short answer is "anything goes"; although there are some general rules about weapon scaling and base damage, there are also many exceptions. The numbers in the inventory showing base damage + scaling are accurate (though they include bonuses like ring of blades in the scaling, so don't perfectly represent what you are getting from your stats alone) so you should use them as your main guide on what your equipment is doing.

Obviously, weapon damage comes from base damage and stat scaling. Some weapons have really good base damage and poor scaling and some weapons have good scaling but poor base damage. Both can increase from being upgraded. While it's a general rule that upgrading your weapon is more important than increasing your stats, some weapons gain more damage from scaling than from base damage (e.g. caestus) and many weapons still gain a significant increase from stat scaling, so it's absolutely worth it to increase your strength and dex, but you should prioritize upgrading your weapon if you have the choice.

The letters the game uses to describe scaling are a lie. They are a general guideline, but a B on one weapon can be higher than an S on another. This is especially noticeable with strength and dex weapons. Strength weapons scale much better than dex weapons. That doesn't mean they are better in general, just that they require higher stats to be effective. But some dex weapons are very scaling dependent and some strength weapons aren't, so take this on a case by case basis. All stats in this game have sharp diminishing returns past a certain point, so, in general, it's not worth it to go beyond 40 in your main scaling stat unless you're using a weapon with great scaling, in which case you shouldn't go beyond 50.

There are absolutely some weapons that start weak and gain a lot from upgrades and some weapons that start strong and don't upgrade very well. As a general rule, this depends on the material used to upgrade the weapon. Weapons upgrading with normal titanite typically gain 10% base damage per level and can go up to +10. Weapons upgrading with twinkling titanite gain 10%, but only go to +5. This is why your blacksmith's hammer is good now, it's the equivalent of a +5 normal weapon. It will eventually be completely surpassed by an upgraded mace. The Drangleic sword is similar. It's a twinkling titanite weapon, so it grows less from upgrades, but starts out with very high damage. That doesn't mean twinkling titanite weapons inevitably become useless. Some remain competitive with other fully upgraded weapons, but blacksmith's hammer and Drangleic sword don't. The final type of material is petrified dragon bone, which is rare as gently caress until the DLCs or the end game and is used to upgrade weapons made from boss souls. These weapons gain 30% per level and go up to level 5. So, they all start out comparatively weak, but generally end up on par with other weapons.

As a final point, I'll recommend that for your first character you raise both strength and dex to 40. This will let you use basically every weapon, so you can experiment a lot and carry several weapons to meet different situations. The game strongly rewards versatility. For example, a rapier is an ideal boss killer and is great for stun-locking obnoxious but unarmored human sized enemies, but it suffers heavily against large groups, enemies that are low to the ground, or agile enemies that like to leap to the side of your jabs. Having more options in a fight makes you much more powerful. Also, a lot of weapons scale well with both stats, and while those weapons usually deal similar damage to dedicated strength or dex weapons, they typically are quite versatile and have powerful movesets.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Zedd posted:

The DLC feels different (in a good way) enough that it isn't cut content in the way you probably mean it.
They likely left open ends about stuff that was cut before an actual finished map/design stage, and adjusted/finished/expanded it for the DLC.

Cut content is like Mafia 2 where the publisher made the studio cut out 90% completed stuff and hack it into DLC, this is more like remnants of old concepts and beta mapversions that where refurbished as DLC.

Yeah, this. People bitch about DLCs being cut content, and sometimes that's accurate, but by the very nature of development there's going to be stuff that's left on the cutting room floor. It's a hell of a lot easier to imagine and start designing an awesome level or whatever than it is to actually make one, and modern game development has a ton of crunch time. And if you're looking to make some DLC, it would be stupid to purposefully throw out everything unused and start afresh. So long as Ivory King isn't complete dogshit, which seems likely, I say DS2's DLC is an example of good DLC.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Cathair posted:

Even as someone who likes greatswords and uses them a lot, I've never tried the Drangleic sword, simply because it's so drat short. It's basically the size of a straight sword, without the speed advantage that makes straight swords good despite the lack of range. Then you factor in the stat requirements and yeah, it seems pretty useless.

I don't know about this case in particular but hit boxes and visual models are only loosely related. The best example I know is that the long sword two-hand poke has more reach than a claymore 1-hand poke but there are a lot of things like that. So it could look small but might be a grower.

Drangleic stuff I think is there to be a noob trap though so probably it's still mediocre.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I don't know about this case in particular but hit boxes and visual models are only loosely related. The best example I know is that the long sword two-hand poke has more reach than a claymore 1-hand poke but there are a lot of things like that. So it could look small but might be a grower.

Drangleic stuff I think is there to be a noob trap though so probably it's still mediocre.

No, the Drangleic stuff is wonderful. Once you get the set it can be hard to force yourself to use something else. The sword is one of the best starter weapons in the game, and can carry you through most of the game unupgraded until you get your preferred weapon. It's kind of like this games Gravelord Sword. Not the best, but it's crazy fukken strong considering how quickly you get it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Suitaru posted:

Yeah, this. People bitch about DLCs being cut content, and sometimes that's accurate, but by the very nature of development there's going to be stuff that's left on the cutting room floor. It's a hell of a lot easier to imagine and start designing an awesome level or whatever than it is to actually make one, and modern game development has a ton of crunch time. And if you're looking to make some DLC, it would be stupid to purposefully throw out everything unused and start afresh. So long as Ivory King isn't complete dogshit, which seems likely, I say DS2's DLC is an example of good DLC.

It takes more than a month to make something like this. If they started working on it only after the game was finished and ready for release it'd be like the Burial at Sea stuff for Bioshock Infinite where it took months for the first one, and the second was available nearly a year after the game was originally released.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Flytrap posted:

No, the Drangleic stuff is wonderful. Once you get the set it can be hard to force yourself to use something else. The sword is one of the best starter weapons in the game, and can carry you through most of the game unupgraded until you get your preferred weapon. It's kind of like this games Gravelord Sword. Not the best, but it's crazy fukken strong considering how quickly you get it.

So... it does have a hitbox range much longer than its actual model, then? Or is this just a subjective opinion that you don't feel like explaining? I mean, I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything but when I bring up specific dislikes and someone just vaguely says 'no it's actually wonderful', that doesn't exactly convince me to give it another go.

Edit: I don't think the Drangleic sword works as a starter weapon because you'll basically have to make a beeline for the stat requirements if you want to be able to use it anytime close to when you acquire it. So, actual newbies are not going to be able to use it during the period when its damage would be useful, while players who already have the game well in hand will also know where to get upgrade materials, so that they can boost weapons with better innate characteristics to comparable levels of damage. Like the mace, for example.

Unless, as I said, the Drangleic sword moveset has advantageous qualities that I'm not aware of?

Cathair fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 3, 2014

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Manatee Cannon posted:

It takes more than a month to make something like this. If they started working on it only after the game was finished and ready for release it'd be like the Burial at Sea stuff for Bioshock Infinite where it took months for the first one, and the second was available nearly a year after the game was originally released.

Of course it takes more than a month to make something like this.

The game was first released March 11th, and they probably had the game truly finished weeks before that, at late February. The first DLC was July 22, which is around four months after the game was done.

Don't run it off of the PC version's release, they easily could have been working on finishing the PC version and the DLC concurrently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Would it be worth it to infuse a Blacksteel Katana with Fire even if I keep my base Bandit casting stats just for buffing up with Fire Weapon?