Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Acquire Currency! posted:

Yeah. The best way I found was to learn to use blink as an extension of my sprint and jump(aka sprinting/jump/well timed blink), planning a path and keeping in motion were key. Aside from a no upgrade run I highly recommend a run where you pick a few powers you don't normally use and focus on them.

Regarding all this Dishonored talk and the various ways to play, this guy's stuff is pretty great to watch. Makes you realize how short Dishonored's levels can be with optimum routes and proper Blink usage. The first ten minutes is typically just the intro, escaping prison, and getting Blink itself. After that, you really just see him go nuts.

He has a 100% run, which is pretty crazy too, just because 100% in Dishonored means 'hey, collect all the little hard-to-find coins.'

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah doing a no kill run is definitely for the small minority of people who obsess over the challenge. I wonder if it's easier or harder than a MGS game. Gonna guess easier.

Definitely easier. If things go tits-up, you can always just Blink to safety in most stages. Daud's magic ninjas aside, no one can follow you, and since the high ground tends to offer cover, you usually can't get shot, either. You just really have to be careful where you leave bodies, because rats or a tiny puddle or something can ruin your run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Occultatio posted:

Hey so I've been playing and enjoying Full Bore quite a bit (your posts reminded me that I both wanted and had it), and I'm wondering if you know: I "beat" one secret room where I made a laser blow up a sparkly black orb thing, and then there was a big pink cross that appeared across the screen (with an orb somewhere near it). Does that mean I'm done with the room? I tried to "collect" the orb where it appeared on the cross, but I can't seem to do anything by getting near that space. I like the game (and the soundtrack is pretty great), and I'm mostly cool with the lack of hand-holding, but I genuinely have no idea if I'm missing something obvious here.

(also, game gets mad props for naming the giant golden boar Gullinbursti)
I'm pretty sure if the room is yellow on the map screen then you've done everything in that room. I got some sort of orb that caused a cross to appear too, but I don't know what that's about yet. This game has a lot of poo poo going on for something that only uses a d-pad and one or two buttons. I saw a room whose design was a QR code, and another room marked as "mystery" that I had no idea what the secret was. I may not be able to 100% it (I'm at 32% currently).

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Well I'll be damned, there's actually people out there playing Fistful of Frags. Looks like the entire game has been changed since I last played, though. And the server I played on had commercials for Arby's? I don't know if that's a serverside thing, or how they monetize the game.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I dunno, after paying through the Daud DLC, I went through a low chaos run of the main mission in Dishonored last weekend and it didn't seem at all tedious, mostly because I knew where to go.

I didn't go unseen (and I did use a lot of sleep darts) but it was an interesting challenge to actually kill as few people as I could - one soldier got eaten by rats and someone fell into the drink. It was pretty fun for a second playthrough simply because I had to think about the game in a completely different way, from everything from pathing through to resource management.

And, to be honest, once I had full blink and time freeze, I could get through some of the levels a lot quicker than if I was of the mindsset to screw around and try to kill every living thing in sight (usually by trying to get soldiers to run through the electric gates by making them run after me. :getin: )

The only thing I would have done away with is those river krust things.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Awesome! posted:

I'm so glad I have no desire to play dishonored at all stealthily or try for a no kill game.
It's really fun that way, has some great level design for it (even in the level that changes there's some really nice areas to it) and only a couple odd ones. The weirdest thing is probably the "distracted looking" thing the guards occasionally do, but if you intercept it you feel like quite a badass. Unless you get mostly lucky like I did I'd recommend you abuse saving a bit and get the charms that improve non-lethal stealth, though (Strong Arms, Undertaker, and maybe Swift Shadow). The achievements didn't bug out for me but you could always use SAM if you feel justified anyway, who cares. The worst part about Dishonored is probably their publisher, as it is Bethesda being Bethesda.

Borderlands 2: I had fun playing it with friends until like 90% through once, ignoring most of the story (especially when it got "deep"). Most games are fun with friends. Is this game more fun than others? The answer will shock you or not. Not really looking forward to any of the others (especially that Telltale game, I don't think even they can save it) but I wouldn't pass it up on a deal if it gets good response.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

FEWER.

FEWER WORDS

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

crabrock posted:

FEWER.

FEWER WORDS

It's been bugging me too.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
General timelines for additional currency support, via the Steamworks Steam group:

quote:

Japanese Yen (JPY) – Released on 8/19/2014
Indonesian Rupiah (IDR) – Expected to release mid-September
Malaysian Ringit (MYR) – Expected to release mid-September
Philippine Peso (PHP) – Expected to release mid-September
Singapore Dollar (SGD) – Expected to release mid-September
Thai Baht (THB) – Expected to release mid-September
Australian Dollar (AUD) – Expected to release mid-September
New Zealand Dollar (NZD) – Expected to release mid-September
Canadian Dollar (CAD) – Expected to release early-October
Norwegian Krone (NOK) – Expected to release early-October
South Korean Won (KRW) – Expected to release late-October
Turkish Lira (TRY) – Expected to release late-October
Mexican Peso (MXN) – Expected to release late-October

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

The Kins posted:

General timelines for additional currency support, via the Steamworks Steam group:

Oh boy, more pricing errors!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The less vs fewer thing is like the people who get hung up on split infinitives when ENGLISH IS NOT loving LATIN.

Oh gee the Australian Dollar support thing's probably going to be a case of BOHICA.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

The Kins posted:

Yay, Australian Steam prices are going to go up in price because you can tell publishers will just get lazy and bump up prices $10+ on bigger titles calling their attempt to balance out prices.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

crabrock posted:

FEWER.

FEWER WORDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7E-aoXLZGY

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Croccers posted:

Yay, Australian Steam prices are going to go up in price because you can tell publishers will just get lazy and bump up prices $10+ on bigger titles calling their attempt to balance out prices.

But the government's cracking down on this and going to stop it happenipffffhahahahahahah :shepicide:.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Eagerly awaiting the next humblebundle. What will it be!?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Drifter posted:

The DLC was better than (/just as good as) the main game. Daud was a better character than COrvo.

The dlc was amazing, and I say that after loving the poo poo out of the main game.
Yeah, Daud's DLC is The Opposing Force of Dishonored, it's fantastic. I still think there wasn't a single level in it as epic as the biggest ones from the main game but you can tell they focused on new weapons/powers/protagonist instead and they were incredible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Kins posted:

Cool, so since they're digital products it'll just be a direct conversion of the US price, right?

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Firstborn posted:

Eagerly awaiting the next humblebundle. What will it be!?

Next week:
https://twitter.com/humble/status/506856589525909504

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

First impressions of the next batch of games I'm playing...

Mass Effect 2 - Felt better about it once I was able to map it to a gamepad with JoyToKey. Third person games just don't feel right with M+KB. The only annoying thing is the command menu but otherwise it controls fine. Just finished the Freedoms Progress mission and the game's now opened up a little. I'll figure out whether I'm really on board or not once I've travelled around a little. The rinky dink combat isn't impressing me (bear in mind I last played Mass Effect 1 when it came out in 2007 or whenever).

Arkham Origins - Just played the first couple of missions, and it is buggy, but it's weird but I actually am better at combat in Origins than I was in City. Like, connecting a lot more often and chaining together longer combos. It's also neat to see the city pre-hosed.

Splinter Cell Conviction - Got this on a whim, this is the first game to not run great on my rig, of anything I've played, but maybe it's just not well-optimized. Only played the opening chapter so far, the execute function is kind of odd, odder still that you have to do a hand-to-hand kill to activate it. The presentation is drowning in style though.

It's also occurred to me that I've now played/beaten all of the games I bought in the summer sale. Get here soon autumn sale!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 3, 2014

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Do you have to beat every level in Cloudbuilt to beat the game? I'm not too far into it, I think, but I've already come across a level (My Source) that I can tell I won't be able to beat any time soon. I'm not super great at wall jumping/running and the only way to get to the exit is an extended wall jumping/running sequence.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

First impressions of the next batch of games I'm playing...

Mass Effect 2 - Felt better about it once I was able to map it to a gamepad with JoyToKey. Third person games just don't feel right with M+KB. The only annoying thing is the command menu but otherwise it controls fine. Just finished the Freedoms Progress mission and the game's now opened up a little. I'll figure out whether I'm really on board or not once I've travelled around a little. The rinky dink combat isn't impressing me (bear in mind I last played Mass Effect 1 when it came out in 2007 or whenever).
The combat in ME1 is pretty horrible compared to ME2 (or to most other games), so I doubt it's an issue for you.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

crabrock posted:

FEWER.

FEWER WORDS

Go outside.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I think the saddest thing about Borderlands 2 is that they basically tried to "balance" it through DLC instead of actually, I don't know, patching it.

TVHM is grindy unfun bullshit? Here's Gaige, a character who can actually handle all that. Ten bucks please.

You want a level cap increase? Here you go, five bucks please.

Not even Gaige can handle the bullet sponges of the new level cap? And Zer0's melee skill tree is absolute horrible garbage? Instead of just buffing Zer0, here's Krieg, a character who's melee focused and is overpowered enough to handle UVHM. Ten bucks please.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

Well I'll be damned, there's actually people out there playing Fistful of Frags. Looks like the entire game has been changed since I last played, though. And the server I played on had commercials for Arby's? I don't know if that's a serverside thing, or how they monetize the game.

It is a server-side thing. Source games allow HTML MotDs and server admins have been putting adverts in them for years now.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Doing a minimal power run of Dishonored would be excruciating. I can't imagine it, the jump power pretty clearly influenced level and quest design.

I did the "Mostly Flesh and Steel" (finish the game without purchasing any supernatural powers or enhancements, besides Blink) achievement along with Shadow and Ghost and it was really easy. All in all I had to reload maybe five times due to being spotted. Bone charms are still allowed and even base Blink is super powerful.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
holy poo poo, metal gear V is on steam?! wishlisted!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of Dishonoured, in 'Knife of Dunwall' if you use the summon-able assassins and they get kills, does that count towards your own kill count/detection? Since I'm currently going for a ghost+non-lethal runthrough of KoD (as I've already done this for the vanilla campaign), so naturally I think I'll just save the runes rather than use them on assassins, if they will ruin my no-kill score.

EDIT: Oh also, is there a bonecharm in KoD that lets you regen mana by drinking tapwater and/or passively, similar to in the vanilla campaign? If so, I don't suppose any of you recall where it is, exactly?
...Just curious is all, honest! :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Sep 3, 2014

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Quest For Glory II posted:

I only ever played ME for the atmosphere and the sweet, sweet illusion of choice. Combat always sucked, it's only fairly fun in ME3 and paradoxically that's the one where you can choose to (completely?) opt out of it, which is neat, too.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

I only ever played ME for the atmosphere and the sweet, sweet illusion of choice. Combat always sucked, it's only fairly fun in ME3 and paradoxically that's the one where you can choose to (completely?) opt out of it, which is neat, too.

How is ME3's combat better? ME2 had some spongy enemies, compounded by some having multiple different health bars to work through to get to the spongy core. I haven't given 3 a shot because the LPs I looked at show wave after wave of trash enemies using the same mechanics as 2 during the tutorial. Is the combat that much improved from 2?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

v1ld posted:

How is ME3's combat better? ME2 had some spongy enemies, compounded by some having multiple different health bars to work through to get to the spongy core. I haven't given 3 a shot because the LPs I looked at show wave after wave of trash enemies using the same mechanics as 2 during the tutorial. Is the combat that much improved from 2?

Aside from lots of little quality-of-life improvements, there is a big emphasis on combos (especially in multiplayer). You get a lot more out of using multiple abilities (or abilities + weapons) than you do just relying on single abilities.

It's not the same leap that 2 was from 1, but it's noticeable.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

v1ld posted:

I would say it depends on how you play. As a heavy biotic, your recharge times are much quicker in ME3 vs. ME2, which makes for more fun with combos and just getting to use your cool space wizard powers vs. dinky weapons. I'd say there's a fair bit more enemy variety as well and a couple more variables to consider in combat (mobs who buff other mobs and that start of thing).

I've been playing the whole series from start to finish and 3 definitely has the best combat but as noted, the leap is not as large as from 1 to 2 but that's mostly because combat in 1 really sucks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In Metal Gear Rising Revengeance during Monsoon's big dramatic boring speech, one of the henchmen stops paying attention so he can pet a kitty cat :3:

I love this dumb game so much.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of Dishonoured, in 'Knife of Dunwall' if you use the summon-able assassins and they get kills, does that count towards your own kill count/detection? Since I'm currently going for a ghost+non-lethal runthrough of KoD (as I've already done this for the vanilla campaign), so naturally I think I'll just save the runes rather than use them on assassins, if they will ruin my no-kill score.

EDIT: Oh also, is there a bonecharm in KoD that lets you regen mana by drinking tapwater and/or passively, similar to in the vanilla campaign? If so, I don't suppose any of you recall where it is, exactly?
...Just curious is all, honest! :D
I'm pretty sure their kills count as your kills just like when you use rats. Also runes are randomly chosen for the maps so you won't really know where a particular one is. I think that even the locations for the runes have been randomized for the DLC.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of Dishonoured, in 'Knife of Dunwall' if you use the summon-able assassins and they get kills, does that count towards your own kill count/detection?

They do, yeah. Which is a shame, they should've not counted so you could go "my hands are clean :smug:".

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They do, yeah. Which is a shame, they should've not counted so you could go "my hands are clean :smug:".

Hitler got the low chaos ending.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

crabrock posted:

FEWER.

FEWER WORDS

I'm glad you like the new Weird Al song! It's pretty good.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

v1ld posted:

It felt enjoyable is only thing I can tell you, but I played on the easiest difficulty :shrug:

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Thanks Tecman for the birthday gift of Lovely Planet. I can already see this hitting the same nerve as Super Meat Boy did. GOTTA GO FASTER.

Thanks bud!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PantsBandit posted:

Hitler got the low chaos ending.

:vince:gently caress it

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

Borderlands 2 is the fastest I've ever seen a game go from being really great to totally unfun bullshit so fast. At first the pacing is fast and the environments are really varied, expansive, and pretty. Then the enemies go from being fun to fight against to every single one being literally the worst bullet sponge ever put into a video game, each taking without exaggeration at least 2 full clips (or 1 and a half clips of straight headshots) of whatever gun you happen to be shooting to go down while displaying absolutely zero hit reaction animations. And by the way these same enemies can quickly two or three shot you so welcome to cover shooter hell.

Also, you need to beat the entire 30-50+ hour-per-playthrough game something like four or five complete times before you can max level a character and play with a complete "build."

Also, like has been said, the weapons look cool but are totally bland. The firing sound effects are about a quarter of the volume they need to be and the enemy bullet sponginess means every weapon feels incredibly weak. And would it have been too much to ask for a straight up full auto assault rifle that was also full auto when zoomed isntead of being forced into the lovely burst mode?

Also the drop rates for the "good" end game weapons make Korean MMOs look generous by comparison.

The entire game could have been saved with minimal effort, too. Instead of making enemies bullet sponges, just put a poo poo ton of weak ones on the battlefield for you to feel awesome mowing down and give you about 5 times more health so it would only be something you'd have to casually monitor instead of something you're absolutely terrified to lose a drop of. But nope. Have fun at max level holding down the trigger for 30 seconds a piece at every enemy you come across while backtracking and hiding for dear life.

You forgot to mention how ridiculously far apart everything is. Even in vehicles it takes 10 minutes to get anywhere, and god forbid you have a mission that forces you on foot so you get to progress at the unbelievably plodding run speed.

That game is a million times better if you just remove the lowest 3-4 tiers of loot quality, increase your run speed by 4x and your jump height by 2x.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Papercut posted:

You forgot to mention how ridiculously far apart everything is. Even in vehicles it takes 10 minutes to get anywhere, and god forbid you have a mission that forces you on foot so you get to progress at the unbelievably plodding run speed.

That game is a million times better if you just remove the lowest 3-4 tiers of loot quality, increase your run speed by 4x and your jump height by 2x.

I increased my run speed by 10x I think. gently caress vehicles.

• Locked thread