Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Grendels Dad posted:

The Punisher is Judge Dredd, hth.

Yeah, except 90% of his fans and half his writers aren't in on the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Then let's just say that Thomas Jane in Dirty Laundry is Dredd. Violently murdering perps then half-assedly ruffling the hair of some kid who's most likely growing up to be another perp is a very Dredd thing to do. The only way it could be any more like Dredd was if he shot the kid too, for loitering or some such.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Dredd felt like it was to Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal as Dirty Laundry was to Frank Miller's Holy Terror .

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Seemlar posted:

Well we all know how the just find another guy approach turned out

This was a good show and Stick Fingaz was fine as Blade. :colbert:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Ror posted:

He's not perfect in the 2004 Punisher (which I do really like), but Thomas Jane gets extra goodwill from me for the best Punisher onscreen: the 2005 video game.

It's sort of a mashup of the movie and Welcome Back, Frank. Thomas Jane does the voice and he rattles off dozens of classic Frank lines just pitch perfect. You get to team-up with Black Widow (who actually has a Russian accent), there's a cool scripted apartment fight with the Russian just like the movie, there's a level where you're taking Spacker Dave for a tour of Stark Industries and you get attacked and when Iron Man shows up acting like he's in charge Frank is just like, "gently caress off, you go deal with sciencey stuff while I blast all these mooks." It's got it all. It's mostly lighter in tone like the above-mentioned stories, but because you're murdering (and optionally torturing) guys left and right you get a lot of glimpses at the Punisher's unredeemable dark side and Jane can really grumble out some of the Ennis-eqsue lines well. There's a mission where you save his neighbor or something, but it never really tries to endear you to the character like the film did.

It's very comic-booky, in the best way.

drat, I'd kill (and optionally torture) to play that game again. Would love if it was on Playstation Network.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The development of the game had some issues in that they had to add stuff like black and white, cut aways and making you lose "points" for actually killing guys with the torture events to keep from getting an A/O rating.

The other funny thing is that the developers didn't actually expect to get Thomas Jane for the voice so they never asked him. Then one day he called them up and asked when they wanted him to come in.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

The other funny thing is that the developers didn't actually expect to get Thomas Jane for the voice so they never asked him. Then one day he called them up and asked when they wanted him to come in.

I loving love how enthusiastic Thomas Jane is for the role.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Thomas Jane also lobbied for Jonah Hex, having pictures taken in costume with the facial prosthetics.

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll

WickedHate posted:

You should see the prep he put in for Homeless Dad.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

sleepingbuddha posted:

You should see the prep he put in for Homeless Dad.

I really believed he wanted his kids back.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

While i'd love to see Ms Marvel, Kamala Khan would freak out enough Americans to make her toxic for the movies. See how Fox News and its ilk freaked out about the Muslim kid in One Direction wished everyone a happy Ramadan.

9/11 was 13 years ago, I think we might be able to handle a Miss Marvel without mass riots and lynching- I think people deserve a little more credit than you give them (barring a few extremely vocal minorities). The kind of people who freak out about this poo poo and generally act like assholes probably wouldn't have gone to see the movie in the first place even if it was about a dorky white teenage girl with superpowers having low key adventures anyway, so its not like they'd be losing out on a key demographic or anything.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I would love for Kumail Nanjiani to be a superhero in something. I just don't know what.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

greatn posted:

I would love for Kumail Nanjiani to be a superhero in something. I just don't know what.

Apache Chief.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Speaking of weird enthusiasm for roles, Liam Neeson recently said that he'd be totally cool to show up on Arrow reprising Ra's Al Ghul.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

Speaking of weird enthusiasm for roles, Liam Neeson recently said that he'd be totally cool to show up on Arrow reprising Ra's Al Ghul.

Well if you watch the interview where he said that I think it's clear he didn't understand the interviewer was talking about a superhero TV show on a low tier broadcast network and instead thought he meant playing the character in another movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's not like Neeson haven't been in a TV show. He was in Clone Wars voicing Qui Gon Jin.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

The MSJ posted:

It's not like Neeson haven't been in a TV show. He was in Clone Wars voicing Qui Gon Jin.

Voice acting makes real acting seem like actual work. Liam Neeson is not showing up on Arrow, he says in the interview he hasn't been approached and they've already started filming. Giving a polite answer to a silly question doesn't mean Neeson's agent or filming commitments would ever allow such a thing to happen.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't know where on the dignity or prestige spectrum it would land if you want to say he'd never do TV but he played himself on Extras. That was probably only a day's work.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lobok posted:

I don't know where on the dignity or prestige spectrum it would land if you want to say he'd never do TV but he played himself on Extras. That was probably only a day's work.

He was on Extras? Are you sure you're not thinking of this scene from Life's Too Short?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2USXEJuvXT4

(I just wanted an excuse to post this)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So, Marvel may be working on a Black Panther movie depending on whether you think that Stan Lee is the type of doddering old man that might accidentally leak news or the type of doddering old man that is left completely out of the loop.

quote:

“We haven’t made a Black Widow movie but she’s been in some of our movies, and she will be featured more prominently as we move forward,” Lee said. “And the chances are she will have her own movie because eventually all the superheroes are going to have their own movies. They are already working on Ant-Man, Dr. Strange and the Black Panther and there are others I am not allowed to talk about.”

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm sure they are technically always working on a Black Panther film. That doesn't mean it's going to happen. Also I'm really sick of hearing about this whole "will they/won't they" bullshit.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, Black Panther has always been the list ender of "movies Marvel are making". I'll believe it after the post credit stinger for New Warriors.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm sure they are technically always working on a Black Panther film. That doesn't mean it's going to happen. Also I'm really sick of hearing about this whole "will they/won't they" bullshit.

You are not going to enjoy the next 20-25 years of your life.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think Stan is really in on the development, is he?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think Stan is really in on the development, is he?

Nah, so I don't put much veracity behind the statement. I just think it's funny that a 90 year old man could be going around leaking development secrets.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
On the one hand, if there's been so much scuttlebutt over a Black Panther film at Marvel Studios that Stan is sure the film is on its way then there may actually be a genuine push behind it. On the other hand, only a tiny tiny percent of the films being "worked on" ever make it to a screen (if we're including all the scripts being pushed by agents onto producers then the success rate would be under 1%) and there's a million ways that a project can get killed along the way. I have absolutely no doubt that there's a whiteboard somewhere at Marvel Studios with a list of potential MCU films written on it and that T'Challa is on that list and they may have even commissioned a script treatment or two and talked to some potential directors and actors but we'll have to wait and see whether it goes any further.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well that Joaquin Phoenix as Strange deal may not work out:

quote:

Evidently, the delay in signing Phoenix goes a bit beyond the inability to hammer out a contract. The main problems "go beyond the basic fact that Phoenix is balking at the heavy multi-picture contract: Joaquin Phoenix literally doesn't know if he can work on this kind of movie. He's a great actor, and he can play the role. But the Marvel Studios blockbuster machine is full of pre-viz and fight-viz and green screen and massive reshoots. It's not a world that's as comfortable for him, and he's just not certain he can do it. ... If Marvel can get past any issues Phoenix has with the larger contract they still have to get over the doubt this terrific actor has about working in this larger environment."

Which is what I thought when I heard that he was in the mix for casting. MCU isn't exactly arthouse.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Isn't it kind of an efficient machine that gets things done quickly I thought?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I mean he was in Gladiator, which as I recall was one of the first films to do a ton of green screening and CG the way we think of it today, mostly for the Colosseum. Either way I doubt that'd be his problem.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 2, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Isn't it kind of an efficient machine that gets things done quickly I thought?

"massive reshoots".

Hakkesshu posted:

I mean he was in Gladiator, which as I recall was one of the first films to do a ton of green screening and CG, mostly for the Colosseum. Either way I doubt that'd be his problem.

That was back in the day. If you look at his most recent stuff it's all prestige stuff.

I don't think his problem would be with the actual mechanics of the shoot, more of the rep of comic book movies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Liam Neeson has stated in interviews before that the reason he is working more now than previously is because he likes to stay busy after the death of his wife which I think people forget. Basically, he's just throwing himself into his craft. So no I would not be surprised if he'd be willing to do a Television series.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Hollismason posted:

Liam Neeson has stated in interviews before that the reason he is working more now than previously is because he likes to stay busy after the death of his wife which I think people forget. Basically, he's just throwing himself into his craft. So no I would not be surprised if he'd be willing to do a Television series.

It's also been a few years, and I imagine his mental state is a good bit better than it was immediately after his wife died. I don't think you can draw any meaningful conclusions about whether he'd be interested in TV work from that policy.

It is the reason he went from Academy Award winning roles to "imma just karate chop everyone in the world" movies.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

It is the reason he went from Academy Award winning roles to "imma just karate chop everyone in the world" movies.

The world is a better place because of it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

theflyingorc posted:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The world is a better place because of it.

Indeed. I don't want to live in a world where there's no footage of Liam Neeson delivering swift and efficient throat punches on film.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

teagone posted:

Indeed. I don't want to live in a world where there's no footage of Liam Neeson delivering swift and efficient throat punches on film.

More people's grief should result in Taken.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

An enterprising fan went and edited together all of Loki's scenes from the Thor and Avengers movies to tell Loki's story.

https://vimeo.com/104165262

Turns out Loki's not all that bad a guy! As comic readers already kinda know.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

TheTarrasque posted:

An enterprising fan went and edited together all of Loki's scenes from the Thor and Avengers movies to tell Loki's story.

I like how isolating him from the rest of Avengers shows how he's clearly in panic mode throughout the film. After the events of Thor he has nowhere to go and thus in a rash move throws in with Thanos, who is bloody terrifying, and gets in a bit too deep with no way out except through.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

TheTarrasque posted:

But Loki is a bad guy, like Doom he's charismatic but he's always a bad guy. Though I guess cutting out the parts of Avengers where he leads an army to murder a bunch of people and try to take over the world would ruin the slash fiction.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I think the most impressive thing about that video is that they somehow found enough footage to fill a more than two hour video of Loki

edit: oh I guess large parts of it are just scenes from Thor 1 and 2 that don't actually include Loki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

It reminded me a LOT of Loki's Journey Into Mystery storyline during Fear Itself.

• Locked thread