Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

Evo is a little more than a major. Not taking something seriously when other people do is absolutely disrespectful. Of course every tournament has plenty of filler or junk play, but it's usually not the majority of entrants.

Maybe they didn't take it seriously because it was just considered a side tournament because they were women? I'm not sure. I was at Evo this year and for the people I was around, it was mostly just kind of like a family reunion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Paladinus posted:

I've got to hand it to SF community, they must be a tolerant lot if they never mocked this person.

No, seriously. I am surprised.

I think it's because she is just so good it's hard to speak ill of her. Plus she totally owns how gay he was. That was confusing to write.

Shooting and archery should not have women's leagues either. No one cares how hard you shoot, just accuracy.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

I dont expect a single journalist to actually acknowledge the #NotYourShield thing. It ruins their narrative too much.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

If you can figure that out, please help me understand why there are specific leagues and championships for women's darts. The one sport on the planet where there should be no segregation.

I don't know if they don't allow female darts players into regular championships, but in chess women are allowed to compete with men and also have their own tournaments to promote the game.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I would think greater pull strength would be relevant to competitive archery.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WilltheMagicAsian posted:

I think there were studies where they found males have better hand-eye coordination. So that's probably why.

No gently caress you, mysoginy! Next you are going to say that men have better spatial awareness and problem solving ability.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Tokamak posted:

The times when journalists were given consoles, TV's, and straight up cheques for money were just innocent misunderstandings.....

1. Need the console to do their job not the reviewers to keep.
1b. Pre-release review copies were also often unfinished as things would change before the final release.
2. TV was provided by employer
3. the check was a publicity stunt by the publisher. not the developer. hope this helps.

This is of course how it works with actual game journalism you know from the print magazines.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
^^^ e: f;b

Cmon goons, this one is pretty simple. It's meant to encourage more participation from a group that makes up a minority of participants within that particular game.

Chess has a women's world tournament, and an Open, for that exact reason. The Open is more prestigious and open to all, but the women's tournament (in theory) provides exposure that might encourage more women to get into playing professionally.

Whether it works? Debatable, but its origins aren't "sjw".

... gently caress I serious posted in cuckquest gee bee ess :suicide:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Fauxtool posted:

It's way worse. Watch the evo women's finals with burnyourbra. I'm a middling 2000pp player and I would wreck 9/10 of the players. Getting hit by crossups 3-4 times in one round. No combos beyond 3+ frame links or jumpin attack followed by sweep. She was dominating the majority of the players.

There doesn't need to be a female league, just more women taking the game seriously. It's disrespectful to show up at an international tournament and think play of that level is adequate

sounds like they should change the woman's league to a beginners league.

E:

I'm watching CEO 2014 right now and ricky is rockin those earrings.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

What's with the awful sexism ITT!

My name is Rosie, I work as a riveter and I can gently caress you up boy #notyourshield

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

That circle of twitter people, except Abe, who had enough conscience to apologize after people called his job, is extremely proud of that mess and convinced themselves it was just people using the child as an excuse to insult them. The late 20s mental teen who originally started it is so divorced from reality she's somehow turned "you called on a twitter mob" into "lol people are accusing me of putting out a mob hit now", it's actually absurd enough you can't exaggerate it.

it turns out that if you can silence anyone you don't like and never have to listen to them again with a single button then eventually the only people left you can hear are people who will for whatever reason unconditionally agree with whatever you say. so whatever poo poo you spew out into the void, no matter how completely detached from reality, is greeted by a rousing chorus of "you go girl! show that twelve year old!" and after a while that gives you an inflated opinion of yourself that completely baffles anyone who isn't part of your insane little echo chamber.

that's been happening on twitter for ages so at this point there's an entire community of incestuous pocket-Stalins constantly feeding into each other's cults of personality

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Simstim posted:

Did you even read what he wrote? Because he goes into detail about games coverage always being corrupt. And Jeff Gerstmann didn't confirm the scandal until years after it happened.

Yes, it didn't offer a good explanation for why the evidence against Zoe is in any way exceptional. It even goes as far to demonstrate the opposite by effortlessly rattling off a laundry list of inproprietaries.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Pretty Ricky

People like ricky because shes cortial and good at the games she plays me and ricky go way way way back and even stream monsters were supportive for the most part when ricky decided she wanted to be a she.

As far as Burnyourbra "not doing much of anything" She was doing solid ken bread and butter stuff, nothing fancy no real risk really smart ken play which is why it worked. you dont have to do a ton of 1 frame links to be a good fighting game player...being smart is better than having good execution and not knowing how to apply it.

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 3, 2014

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Zoe quinn is a troll doll in human form grown up

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

when did weird twitter stop being about jokes and become a place for people to talk about israel and gay marriage

at least @dril keeps on joking

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

No gently caress you, mysoginy! Next you are going to say that men have better spatial awareness and problem solving ability.

Oops probably should have added "on average" in that post.

AkumaHokoru posted:

People like ricky because shes cortial and good at the games she plays me and ricky go way way way back and even stream monsters were supportive for the most part when ricky decided she wanted to be a she.

I knew I recognized that name, shoutouts to when Spooky was using your Youtube account for everything, and those poverty game house streams on ustream

WilltheMagicAsian fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 3, 2014

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AkumaHokoru posted:

As far as Burnyourbra "not doing much of anything" She was doing solid ken bread and butter stuff, nothing fancy no real risk really smart ken play which is why it worked. you dont have to do a ton of 1 frame links to be a good fighting game player...being smart is better than having good execution and not knowing how to apply it.

Burnyourbra and kayane were the good players, the other ones were casual at best

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I like how Zoe goes from fanning the flames to complaining about the undeserved heat she's received.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think there were studies where they found males have better hand-eye coordination on average. So that's probably why.

Oops you probably meant to add "on average"
Don't worry I fixed it for you, no one should get offended now

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

Burnyourbra and kayane were the good players, the other ones were casual at best

a ton of people male or female show up to evo in what I would call a scrub state. people come to next level randomly with nothing more than houseplay experience thinking they have a shot at winning. personal ego/friends who are all worse can lead to someone feeling themselves. (this was me till i started going to/working at Cf and realizing i was total poo poo compared to others)

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

Put the time frame in perspective now though, unless you played in arcades, the game was out for around a year and a half for most of the people who picked up fighting games when SFIV came out, It was still a fairly new game for most people.

WilltheMagicAsian fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 3, 2014

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Oops probably should have added "on average" in that post.

I knew I recognized that name, shoutouts to when Spooky was using your Youtube account for everything, and those poverty game house streams on ustream

shoutouts to a longtimer!
shoutouts to shoutouts!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Put the time frame in perspective now though, unless you played in arcades, the game was out for around a year and a half for most of the people who picked up fighting games with SFIV came out, It was still a fairly new game for most people.

Yet the men didn't seem to have that problem, keep making excuses.

PS don't forget this is gbs, I'm not seriously entertaining this debate, I hope you aren't either

An open beginners league would be a great idea, but I have no idea how you can enforce it. " you are too good, we have to kick you out"

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 3, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

This is just a few hours after she posted that picture with the "Cuties Killing Games" button and the gamer soda.

Step 1. Fan the flames.
Step 2. Whine.
Step 3. Check Patreon (PROFIT!)

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
#notyourshield is literally minorities standing in solidarity with white men :psyduck:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Uh men "don't have the problem" of needing a men's only league in like EVO because 99.9% of the players are men. I dunno what to tell you if you can't see why they would have a women's only tourney while still allowing women to play in the main one.

Anyone think it's unfair that there's a special olympics???? Cuz this guy in a wheelchair could totally enter the normal olympics if he wanted and he's being disrespectful by not doing so

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

FAROOQ posted:

#notyourshield is literally minorities standing in solidarity with white men :psyduck:

It's happened before. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Conspiracy_of_1741

Who could have thought that video games would end racism and bring us back together again. :unsmith:

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpsbj0OoeNo

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

AkumaHokoru posted:

a ton of people male or female show up to evo in what I would call a scrub state. people come to next level randomly with nothing more than houseplay experience thinking they have a shot at winning. personal ego/friends who are all worse can lead to someone feeling themselves. (this was me till i started going to/working at Cf and realizing i was total poo poo compared to others)

Do you play SF4 on the PC at all?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Uh men "don't have the problem" of needing a men's only league in like EVO because 99.9% of the players are men. I dunno what to tell you if you can't see why they would have a women's only tourney while still allowing women to play in the main one.

Anyone think it's unfair that there's a special olympics???? Cuz this guy in a wheelchair could totally enter the normal olympics if he wanted and he's being disrespectful by not doing so

Everyone look at this dumbass. Let me tell you why historically black colleges are actually racist

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Fauxtool posted:

An open beginners league would be a great idea, but I have no idea how you can enforce it. " you are too good, we have to kick you out"

Gentlemen / Lady's honor. Only real way would be to do it like Capcom does with points. You register you earn points and upgrade your tier as you go.

Just make the prizes not lucrative.

I'm starting USF4 after having not played a fighting game since SF2Turbo for the SNES. So I'm looking to get better hoping to get my fightstick any day now.

If you guys are on steam and have it i'd love to play against you and practice as I go.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Al Borland posted:

Good point, highly competitive online play existed on even vanilla sf4. Failing to measure yourself to that level of play is being willfully ignorant or an idiot

Playing online pretty much the beginners league, points and all

Iplay tons of online and I know exactly how good am in relation to other players. Get to the sf4 thread and post your steam

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 3, 2014

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

This is just a few hours after she posted that picture with the "Cuties Killing Games" button and the gamer soda.

Step 1. Fan the flames.
Step 2. Whine.

If she didnt want people to jerk off down the phone at her, she shouldnt have made a video games tshirt.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

Tokamak posted:

Yes, it didn't offer a good explanation for why the evidence against Zoe is in any way exceptional. It even goes as far to demonstrate the opposite by effortlessly rattling off a laundry list of inproprietaries.

It is exceptional because there is a paper trail people can follow provided by the boyfriend, 3rd party confirmation of the events, and a hamfisted attempt to snuff out discussion. Outside of MRAs, nobody would have even known about this if they didn't try to stop people talking about. The gamer journalist clique has repeatedly shot itself in the foot every step of the way on this.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Al Borland posted:

nu uh I dont have it. my AE pc was a evo code so no update for me. I've been playing a lot of older stuff lately but i just got kof 13 on steam a while back

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

sinking belle posted:

If she didnt want people to jerk off down the phone at her, she shouldnt have made a video games tshirt.

:stare: Yeah gently caress that guy. Still, it's not hard to turn your phone off and walk away from twitter.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 3, 2014

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Fauxtool posted:

Good point, highly competitive online play existed on even vanilla sf4. Failing to measure yourself to that level of play is being willfully ignorant or an idiot

Iplay tons of online and I know exactly how good am in relation to other players. Get to the sf4 thread and post your steam

Will do! I've been playing it with a 360 controller :gonk:

My hands can't handle the tiny stick precision / buttons / everything.
My god a super focus is impossible. I have to form a backwards L with my thumb and move my other hand off the move stick. :smithicide:

Anyways enough about that. I really wish I was surprised by the fact that no one got fired for basically telling their customer base to die or kill themselves. If it was any actual form of reporter out there doing this. They'd be exiled. Look at Helen Thomas. Some guy antagonized her over palestine and israel and she said "In my opinion Israel so go home. Get out of Palestine."

That got her fired.

Gaming Journalism really is nothing more than blogging turds now a days and their pay masters. Honestly you could replace any of them with a monkey at a typewriter.

I bet I could program a game reporter that basically uses a mad-lib system of adj, adv, and nouns that is better than the average journalist.

Hell lol I may do this as a fall project.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Step 1. Fan the flames.
Step 2. Whine.

waht the gently caress is wrong with people??? can u guys seriously stop this vicious, completely undeserved attack on my pristine online personna? pls, I am asking nicely and totally not even patronizing 99.9% of the people seeing this tweet

edit: it's been three weeks of her being terrorized over something she didn't do you loving cunts. PLS STOP THE HARASSMENT. SHE WANTS TO GO HOME

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

People playing street fighter, shut the gently caress up.

Your hobby is horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

:stare: Yeah gently caress that guy. Still, it's not hard to turn your phone off and walk away from twitter.

https://twitter.com/fucktyler/status/285670822264307712
I agree that is not a hard thing, to do. It is even easier, actually, than not sexually assaulting people, I think. Probably

• Locked thread