Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A bunch of really nice maps of the literature of London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

If you have any stupid friends who pronounce it 'goo-dah', please tell them 'ou' is pronounced like 'ow' in the word 'cow'.

Over here in the northwestern U.S., I've only ever heard it pronounced "goo-dah". It might be too late for us.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's pronounced "goo-dah" in French, silly Dutchies.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The only people I've ever known who said "gow-dah" were also insufferable pedants.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Badger of Basra posted:

The only people I've ever known who said "gow-dah" were also insufferable pedants.

My ex did that, also with an exaggerated ghh sound at the start because she has a Dutch mom.

My dad is mostly dutch despite not being born there, and anyway speak the language pretty well. Our house still grew up calling it goo-da though.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It's like when people say "Van Gogh" the right way or when beer geeks talk about "Gueuze" the correct way. Words are pronounced differently in different languages. That is OK.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Well in the case of Van Gogh it was a real person's real name rather than just a word in a language, so I don't think it's so ridiculous to try and get it right there.

edit: although the real way sounds super loving weird.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

If you can't pronounce the dutch 'g', "Van Cock" is close enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLTQv8RH1TE

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Carbon dioxide posted:

If you can't pronounce the dutch 'g', "Van Cock" is close enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLTQv8RH1TE
That does not at all seem close to the pronunciation in the video. Van should obviously be fan, though approaching anywhere near Gogh with English sounds seems a bit more difficult.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
The way that dude pronounces it is also very 'Hollands'. Van Gogh was from Brabant in the south himself, so he would have pronounced his own name with a softer G instead of this raspy throaty KH-sound that approaches an R in a way.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

This thread is an amazing read since I'm taking a graduate level Cartography and Visualization course right now...really glad to have found this!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How can you not like Manx cats? Are they big jerks or something?

No, they're unusually friendly and loyal, and they squeak instead of meow.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

NZ electoral history

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Koramei posted:

Well in the case of Van Gogh it was a real person's real name rather than just a word in a language, so I don't think it's so ridiculous to try and get it right there.

edit: although the real way sounds super loving weird.

IDK. People think you're pretty pretentious if you say "Nahpole-ayohng" or "Sharl de Goal."

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

vintagepurple posted:

IDK. People think you're pretty pretentious if you say "Nahpole-ayohng" or "Sharl de Goal."

"Oolius Kaisar" :hist101:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Since when is trying to pronounce unfamiliar foreign words the right way 'pretentious'?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

the jizz taxi posted:

Since when is trying to pronounce unfamiliar foreign words the right way 'pretentious'?
It's not. I think it's specifically trying to pronounce familiar foreign words the "right" way that could be seen as kind of pretentious. Words that have a pretty well established English pronunciation that differs from their native version.

It shouldn't really matter though. Just do your best to be understandable and respectful, however you can pull it off, and it doesn't really matter. If you're really just making an effort to be respectful to other languages, that's fine. I'd be surprised if that's what most people would be doing though. I'd guess a lot of people making a point of "correct" pronunciation are doing it to be smug and feel more correct, rather than to communicate better or more respectfully.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

"Oolius Kaisar" :hist101:

Yule cigar.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

the jizz taxi posted:

An extremely Christian uncle who married into and then divorced out of my Jewish family insists on enunciating Israel as "YEES-rye-el" (usually with a few tears for their glorious tenacity)

For reference as an American Jew I've always pronounced it "is-re-ull"

With that said I wouldn't have a problem with using names like "meheeko" or "sveriye" or "doichland"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Eiba posted:

It's not. I think it's specifically trying to pronounce familiar foreign words the "right" way that could be seen as kind of pretentious. Words that have a pretty well established English pronunciation that differs from their native version.

It shouldn't really matter though. Just do your best to be understandable and respectful, however you can pull it off, and it doesn't really matter. If you're really just making an effort to be respectful to other languages, that's fine. I'd be surprised if that's what most people would be doing though. I'd guess a lot of people making a point of "correct" pronunciation are doing it to be smug and feel more correct, rather than to communicate better or more respectfully.

See Eye-rack and Iraq. Poor Obama.

But pronouncing people's names correctly cannot be pretentious, can it? Do you get flack if you call him Sharl de Goal in America?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Torrannor posted:

See Eye-rack and Iraq. Poor Obama.

But pronouncing people's names correctly cannot be pretentious, can it? Do you get flack if you call him Sharl de Goal in America?

Hes not alive to complain about it anymore. Same reason everyones settled on an accepted, if incorrect, pronunciation for Genghis Khan.

I mean, really, what do you expect an english speaker to do when they encounter the name "Charles". If anything the person youre talking to wont think youre being pretentious, theyll just wonder who the hell Sharl Degal is.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
It's actually pretty impressive how many historically famous people wouldn't do anything at all if a modern person called after them with their name (or what they thought their name was).

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

the jizz taxi posted:

I constantly notice this with americans and any thing french. They can rattle off the perfect spanish pronunciations of the mexican food menu with out any one batting an eye lid though.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
You'd be laughed at if you tried to pronounce the word quixotic as you would pronounce the novel it came from, Don Quixote. Sometimes you have to accept the living language. If they are a historical figure, it's most important to convey who you are talking about, and satisfying the interests of parochial prescriptivists will fall by the wayside in that instance. For a living person, absolutely you should make an effort, but once they are dead and you're trying to convey information, go with what's used most.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jippa posted:

I constantly notice this with americans and any thing french. They can rattle off the perfect spanish pronunciations of the mexican food menu with out any one batting an eye lid though.

But Spanish is very common in the United States, and French isn't? Of course you'll know how to pronounce food names at a Mexican restaurant run by people who live in the area, and not how to pronounce the names of dead French historical figures

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Fair point on 'Yule' but 'cigar'? How does that work?

Randandal posted:

For reference as an American Jew I've always pronounced it "is-re-ull"
Is-Rayle. The American pronunciation sounds kind of strange to English people, but it's not like ours is much closer.

quote:

With that said I wouldn't have a problem with using names like "meheeko" or "sveriye" or "doichland"
Knock yourself out. I'm not sure I'd be able to point out Shqipëria, Crna Gora or Sak'art'velo on a map otherwise though.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fermun posted:

You'd be laughed at if you tried to pronounce the word quixotic as you would pronounce the novel it came from, Don Quixote. Sometimes you have to accept the living language. If they are a historical figure, it's most important to convey who you are talking about, and satisfying the interests of parochial prescriptivists will fall by the wayside in that instance. For a living person, absolutely you should make an effort, but once they are dead and you're trying to convey information, go with what's used most.

I pronounced it "Don QuicksOat" whenever I read it until I was 22 because I never connected the written weird word to the spoken weirder word. :shobon:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

Fair point on 'Yule' but 'cigar'? How does that work?

It doesn't. It's a bit of a silly name joke in Belgium, might have originated from some comic such as Asterix but I'm not sure. Kinda like calling Pythagoras "Pete something-or-other" (the y is pronounced like 'ee' in original Greek I think.)

For some reason Don Quixote is known in Holland by his French name 'Don Quichot' (Don key-show). I learned just now that that was not the original pronunciation.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Carbon dioxide posted:

It doesn't. It's a bit of a silly name joke in Belgium, might have originated from some comic such as Asterix but I'm not sure. Kinda like calling Pythagoras "Pete something-or-other" (the y is pronounced like 'ee' in original Greek I think.)

For some reason Don Quixote is known in Holland by his French name 'Don Quichot' (Don key-show). I learned just now that that was not the original pronunciation.

In French we say Don Quichotte (Donkey Shot)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

But Spanish is very common in the United States, and French isn't? Of course you'll know how to pronounce food names at a Mexican restaurant run by people who live in the area, and not how to pronounce the names of dead French historical figures

I was making a general point. There is a huge difference between not knowing how to pronounce some thing and treating it with out right disdain.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

fermun posted:

You'd be laughed at if you tried to pronounce the word quixotic as you would pronounce the novel it came from, Don Quixote.

Wow maybe I've never heard quixotic spoken out loud before but I had no idea it wasn't pronounced similarly to Quixote. Thanks for saving me some embarrassment if it ever comes up!

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Y in Ancient Greek was pronounced as the Dutch and French U, or the German Ü, if you will.

e: And yeah, if a foreign-language word or name has been widely in circulation in a language with its own localised pronunciation, it does come across weird to insist on its original pronunciation. This sometimes poses problems for me in English when I'm not familiar with how some foreign words are anglicised out of a language that I speak, making me look like some stupid poser.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

In French we say Don Quichotte (Donkey Shot)

That's pretty much how it was said when it was originally written, but then Spanish had some sound changes.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Meme Emulator posted:

Hes not alive to complain about it anymore. Same reason everyones settled on an accepted, if incorrect, pronunciation for Genghis Khan.

I actually vary between Genghis Khan and Chingis Khan (with the khan pronounced correctly) depending on the audience, because some people won't recognize the latter and some people will think you're an uneducated boor for using the former.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I just call him Temujin.

Red Ryder
Apr 20, 2006

oh dang
If people could get over themselves and let us americans pronounce Pho "faux" and ask "axe" then the world would be a more harmonious place

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

the jizz taxi posted:

The Y in Ancient Greek was pronounced as the Dutch and French U, or the German Ü, if you will.

e: And yeah, if a foreign-language word or name has been widely in circulation in a language with its own localised pronunciation, it does come across weird to insist on its original pronunciation. This sometimes poses problems for me in English when I'm not familiar with how some foreign words are anglicised out of a language that I speak, making me look like some stupid poser.

Aww.. don't say that, I find the occasional use of foreign words and pronunciation endearing when done naturally :3:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

I pronounced it "Don QuicksOat" whenever I read it until I was 22 because I never connected the written weird word to the spoken weirder word. :shobon:

Im assuming you read a lot as a kid lol i was a loser ftw so I did as well.....pronounced episcopal as epi-scope-ul until i was like 20

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Patter Song posted:

I actually vary between Genghis Khan and Chingis Khan (with the khan pronounced correctly) depending on the audience, because some people won't recognize the latter and some people will think you're an uneducated boor for using the former.

... what do you do where you're discussing Genghis Khan with multiple audiences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Albino Squirrel posted:

... what do you do where you're discussing Genghis Khan with multiple audiences?

Not so much anymore, but back when I was in grad school it happened on more than one occasion. I remember discussing Jack Weatherford's Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World in class and referring to Genghis Khan in the title and Chingis Khan in the content of the book.