Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

team overhead smash posted:

Nah, they were created at the beginning of the universe. Galactus came from the previous universe (although you could make the argument he was Galan rather than Galactus).

I did say almost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I'm reading the Steranko Nick Fury collection. Anyone who is upset about the Fury twist in Original Sin should do the same. Gets pretty wacky scifi.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Even if you're not upset, it's a great read. It might be my ignorance speaking but my 3 seminal Fury runs are the Steranko collection, Fury vs SHIELD and Secret Warriors. And maybe Secret War, though I consider it a New Avengers prototype more than a Fury story.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
There is a MAJOR thing revealed in Original Sins this week. I feel like something like that should have been in the regular series, it's weird.
Dum Dum has been dead for a long time but Fury keeps replacing him with super LMD's

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Senor Candle posted:

There is a MAJOR thing revealed in Original Sins this week. I feel like something like that should have been in the regular series, it's weird.
Dum Dum has been dead for a long time but Fury keeps replacing him with super LMD's

That really seems like a plot development that's going to be ignored pretty quickly.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Senor Candle posted:

How would that even work with Secret Invasion?

"Oh no, my best friend I replaced with a robot has been a Skrull for years"

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

PelvicNerve posted:

I think the LMDs he is using are advanced enough that they don't need maintenance or anything, and he basically sees it as his old friend, not the machine he replaced him with.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

PelvicNerve posted:

Skrull LMD. What's so hard to figure out?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
That's not a revelation it's the writer forgetting that Dum Dum has basically been a brain in an cyborg/lmd body for close to two decades and didn't have the knock off infinity formula since way before then.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I can totally buy Dr Strangowski wanted to be in a metal band. By the Hoary Hosts of Haggoth! :rock:

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

CzarChasm posted:

Skrull LMD. What's so hard to figure out?

I was going to say SkrullMD but that just sounds like a medical website that eventually says your symptoms are caused by cancer of the shape-shifting glands.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So FINALLY the Original Sin tie in for GoTG came out I think other than the and Avengers book I have been frothing at the mouth for some kind of explanation as to the throw down in the Cancerverse. Admittedly it is going kinda well for me not so Bendis-y as far as blotting out a book in word bubbles.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not sure how I feel about the "And Drax was there too, for some reason."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
LMDs always bugged me, because they are so often used for retcons, so we will get captions of the LMD's emotional state before it's revealed to be one, and then everyone (after the reveal) just thinks, oh, it's just a loving robot it doesn't have emotions.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
When I was a kid I killed a man just to see what it feels like ha ha just kidding I'm Frog-Man :frog:

e: I still want to know what Doom's sin was.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Jiro posted:

So FINALLY the Original Sin tie in for GoTG came out I think other than the and Avengers book I have been frothing at the mouth for some kind of explanation as to the throw down in the Cancerverse. Admittedly it is going kinda well for me not so Bendis-y as far as blotting out a book in word bubbles.

Drax was killed by Thanos so him coming back had to be explained to.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And if you recall in the Thanos Imperative anyone killed in the Cancerverse came right back to life (except for Mar-vell because Death killed him).

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Guardians was Ed McGuinness drawing the poo poo out of a huge heavyweight cosmic fight. Awkward place to stop the issue though. They should have made it double-sized or found a better way to cut it in half.

I do think that it'll be shown Richard survived somehow. He comes off really well in this issue.

Also, I really liked the tie-in with Thor and Loki. Loki has a really hilarious moment followed by a touching one.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

First Bass posted:

e: I still want to know what Doom's sin was.

Got beat up by a teenage girl whose power is squirrels.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Gavok posted:

Got beat up by a teenage girl whose power is squirrels.

Nothing to be ashamed of. Squirrel Girl has taken down the best.

It's really because he cried at 9/11.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Drax was killed by Thanos so him coming back had to be explained to.

I......never had a problem with that? You may have quoted the wrong person. Also McGuinness's art was really awesome just how he draws a gleeful Thanos beating the poo poo out of people and having his poo poo beat right back. Ugh I really miss DnA Cosmic Marvel.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I really liked the Guardians tie in. McGuiness art fits and it actually feels like the logical progression.
The Nova tie in hints at what happens to the Corps. I think they dove en mass into the Cancer verse to rescue Dick Ryder.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I really liked the new Thor & Loki. The combination of Loki casually sending the armada into blowing up against the old Asgard ruins then shrugging at the general/reader with a "well what did you think I was going to do?" and Thor gathering the clouds to deliver his patented KRAKA-THAKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM awesomeness was splendid. I hope the ending doesn't mean we've seeing the last of the All Mother trio being in charge though, I much prefer the idea of Odin chilling with his brother playing chess than coming back to do his stern gruff poo poo yet again.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Question IRL posted:

I really liked the Guardians tie in. McGuiness art fits and it actually feels like the logical progression.
The Nova tie in hints at what happens to the Corps. I think they dove en mass into the Cancer verse to rescue Dick Ryder.

I don't think there was actually much of a Corps by that point. IIRC in his solo series he was building up the Nova Corps again but then right before it ended there was the whole Ego/Worldmind thing where it over recruited and that arc ended with Richard severely cutting back.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The Question IRL posted:

I thought they all relinquished their Nova Power back to Dick so he could fight Thanos with it?

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Does McGuiness draw every single character super jacked still? That was always my issue with him. If you took the heads off his characters you can't tell them apart. It was fun for big action-y books, but I can't take his characters seriously when they wanna brood.

He did exactly the thing that always bugs me about most Nightwing artists. I like when he's lithe and looks like an acrobat more than a bodybuilder.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 28, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sentinel Red posted:

I really liked the new Thor & Loki. The combination of Loki casually sending the armada into blowing up against the old Asgard ruins then shrugging at the general/reader with a "well what did you think I was going to do?" and Thor gathering the clouds to deliver his patented KRAKA-THAKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM awesomeness was splendid. I hope the ending doesn't mean we've seeing the last of the All Mother trio being in charge though, I much prefer the idea of Odin chilling with his brother playing chess than coming back to do his stern gruff poo poo yet again.

I assume that its going to end with the Tenth Realm being closed and I assume Odin and his brother trapped there.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yo so the ending was kinda poo poo and doesn't fit with like all the books I'm reading but it was pretty fun at the same time.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Honestly I was surprised by the ending as I thought I was sure Fury was done for and that The Orb was the new Watcher. Would pay good money for Aaron doing a creepy Orb horror book.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Ant-Man saying "Hey, aren't we missing someone?" loving killed me.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Honestly I was surprised by the ending as I thought I was sure Fury was done for and that The Orb was the new Watcher. Would pay good money for Aaron doing a creepy Orb horror book.

Yeah, that final image of The Orb was great. I hope he does more with it.

Overall, decent event, not great. What impressed me most was probably Deodato - he was more on point here than he's been for years.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It ended with some neat visuals and... yep that's all I got.

Off the board but not really off the board.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I liked it. I think the series hit its peak around 4-5 and went a but downhill but overall, it was a solid event, which isn't that common.

My biggest gripe is that the whodunit fizzled a bit towards the end as the motive wasn't super clear or natural TBH. I'd probably have to reread the series to make a better formed opinion though.

Still, I loved the art throughout the series, the ending is neat with the new roles that were defined. For some reason, Fury chained as the new Watcher instantly reminded me visually of Black Hand chained by the Indigo Tribe.

Also, they did tie-ins right as some of them were pretty great: Avengers worked flawlessly, Hulk/Iron Man was way better than I expected and Waid knocked it out of the park with DD. The resolution on that one was amazing as it didn't involve punching or brooding.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There was no grand cosmic meaning behind the watcher's murder, which was a pretty big twist. It was indirect, but this was Uatu's way of stopping Fury. He guided the Orb in, which in turn lured Fury. He knew Fury better than anyone after all those years of watching him commit atrocities for 'the greater good', so pushing Fury's buttons to make him bring himself down was easy enough. In the end, despite all of his justifications Fury simply murdered someone because he wanted what they had.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah like everyone else I enjoyed the story, but the comic never recovered from the badass issue about Nick Fury's backstory.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Why is Fury chained up? WHODUNNIT?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I think my favorite thing about Original Sin is Bucky growing his hair out again for that last shot of him. :allears:

Also, has his star been red the whole time? I thought it was painted black these days.

I'm paying attention to the important stuff here.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Issue 8 loving ruled. Fury got his wish.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
If it's been LMDs all the way down, what does that mean for Sam Jackson Fury in the comics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

If it's been LMDs all the way down, what does that mean for Sam Jackson Fury in the comics?

No it's only usually LMDs all the way down. Real Nick's infinity formula only ran out recently, he could have fathered Fury Jr. before then.

But shhh, mentioning Fury Jr brings up Battle Scars, and no one wants that.

• Locked thread