Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Serious Frolicking posted:

Have they ever said how the original overlords became overlords? It might have been something similar to Kaito's method.

I think that they said that Roshuo basically used the power of the Golden Fruit to become the ruler of his world, and chose the ones who would survive (who were the other Overlords). Whether they actually ate the fruit or not, I don't think was said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think that they said that Roshuo basically used the power of the Golden Fruit to become the ruler of his world, and chose the ones who would survive (who were the other Overlords). Whether they actually ate the fruit or not, I don't think was said.

Yeah, Redyue told Micchy that the Overlords' power was granted by Roshuo, as opposed to the Armored Riders using belts.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Subs are out

Man, they really had me going for a minute there. It's good to see that Zack isn't a traitor after all, and is just trying to take Kaito down from the inside.

And man, the number of working drivers is really dwindling. There's pretty much just Kouta, Minato, and Zack's left. I guess Micchy's basic driver is still functional, but that's a huge question mark.

Unless...It's never too late to bring on the whale. :v:

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Kouta just wakes up and doesn't even acknowledge that he's loving STILL ALIVE. I laughed out loud. Also i'm disappointed nobody will find out/has found out Michy killed him.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm excited for the dramatic reveal that Zack was waiting for Kouta and Kaito to kill each other and is the final boss after all is said and done.

Also I'm disappointed in the total lack of the best character, ghostbro, in the past two epsiodes.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Finally Gaim rides a horse.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Senerio posted:

I'm excited for the dramatic reveal that Zack was waiting for Kouta and Kaito to kill each other and is the final boss after all is said and done.

Also I'm disappointed in the total lack of the best character, ghostbro, in the past two epsiodes.

There's nothing left for him to say at this point.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

V-Men posted:

There's nothing left for him to say at this point.

Episode 45 has arrived.

There are no more distractions.
No more extra Riders.
Just Kouta and Kaito fighting for the Golden Fruit

Micchy is still being a mopey crazy person so he might show up too.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Yoko and Zack literally got blown the gently caress out, Rider fights on motorcycles, and the next episode preview looks even more insane :stonk:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Subs are up.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This thread is as dead as the show. RIP Gaim.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So, just finished the episode and there's really not much to say other than "Holy poo poo." All of it's built up to this, time to let it wind down.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So, just finished the episode and there's really not much to say other than "Holy poo poo." All of it's built up to this, time to let it wind down.

Yeah, I get the feeling a lot more discussion is coming out of next week by the preview, but this one was just "let's rock" territory the whole time.

That fight scene was siiiiiiiick from the instant the bikes came out.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Ghost bro wasn't mean enough. I'm always happy to see him, but he was almost helpful today. What a shame.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, any speculation why Micchy was ever counted as one of the three who could change fate? Like, does he have one last trick up his crazy person sleeve?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Honestly, based on him already doing it once, I half expect him to just find a rifle and try to change fate himself from afar.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Poison Mushroom posted:

So, any speculation why Micchy was ever counted as one of the three who could change fate? Like, does he have one last trick up his crazy person sleeve?

Because Mai went to him. Same for Kaito and Kouta, actually. Sagara knew who to pick because Mai accidentally brought him to them.

Then Micchy ended up proving more than slightly unworthy of changing fate. In fact, he ended up being the most unworthy of it, never really attemtping to, just searching for a safe place to stay, even if it meant betraying everyone. Hence why now the only ones who could actually change fate are Kouta and Kaito, both of whom have become Overlords.

Also holy poo poo did that get awesome all of a sudden. Inves everywhere, bike battle, going through a bunch of forms, Ranbu Escalation, finally we get Kaito's actual motive...hopefully it'll continue being this awesome next episode. I want a badass finale to this conflict. It deserves it.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
That was a pretty hardcore episode. Even if Kaito's dialog was kinda awful at times. It was too over-the-top, if that's even possible by Kaito standards. I think Urobuchi is leaning too hard on his overwhelming strength and it feels like a parody at this point. I liked following Kaito as a badass underdog who you wanted to see succeed. Now he feels like a caricature of that. Maybe that's fitting thematically with how he turned into a literal monster, but I feel like it's leaning too much on cheap writing. Last week's episode was much more balanced when it came to Kaito. It didn't feel as cloying and overbearing. I still enjoyed episode 45 very much, but hopefully next episode turns it down a couple notches.

Looks like next week's episode will have a Kazuma vs. Ryuhou battle, if the preview is any indicator!

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 15, 2014

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Honestly, based on him already doing it once, I half expect him to just find a rifle and try to change fate himself from afar.

Kaito and Kouta beat each other to a senseless pulp but can't beat each other. Micchy comes in and kicks them both away, claims the golden fruit, uses it as a last-minute act of repentance to rewrite the world so none of this ever happened and everyone's all happy again. :downs:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

TerminusEst13 posted:

Kaito and Kouta beat each other to a senseless pulp but can't beat each other. Micchy comes in and kicks them both away, claims the golden fruit, uses it as a last-minute act of repentance to rewrite the world so none of this ever happened and everyone's all happy again. :downs:

Given that the golden fruit apparently does terrible things to its user, that actually seems kind of likely.

drat shame to see the Female Rider Curse is still going strong, though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Darth Walrus posted:

Given that the golden fruit apparently does terrible things to its user, that actually seems kind of likely.

It doesn't really bother me much this time, since Sid, Ryouma, Takatora, and Zach all kicked the bucket too. At least she outlived most of the other Riders in the show, right?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Dexie posted:

It doesn't really bother me much this time, since Sid, Ryouma, Takatora, and Zach all kicked the bucket too. At least she outlived most of the other Riders in the show, right?

Mage from Wizard at least got a character arc. Marika has just stood around the entire show.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel like they're telegraphing something like this pretty strongly. Especially since Ghostbro was more encouraging. My guess is Micchy suicides into Kaito and gives Kouta an opening. Kouta gets the fruit and does the reboot, but because of the fruit and starting to turn into an Overlord he can't reboot himself because of Reasons.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Is there anything stopping the Woman of Beginnings from just using the fruit?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Level Slide posted:

Is there anything stopping the Woman of Beginnings from just using the fruit?

Sexism.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Something something Adam and Eve.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

I like how Mai is now a literal object for the guys to fight over. :shepicide:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I was surprised that they did go back to the weird war thing from the first episode. A month ago I would've confidently toxxed myself saying it would never be revisited. Of course it didn't turn out to be anything other than some weird vision of the fate of those who could seize the golden apple or whatever nonsense, but they did go back to it so it still left me a little impressed.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Potsticker posted:

Mage from Wizard at least got a character arc. Marika has just stood around the entire show.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. I was all like "now that Yoko is free of Ryouma, she can get some character development" when that episode aired... and that never happened. Urobuchi has never written a decent female character though, so it's nothing new. But it's still a waste of potential. Then again, it could also be mandated (and nothing to do with Urobuchi or any of the writers) because she's a female character in Kamen Rider, which is depressingly likely. Mai's treatment has been a dodgy mess too. She's literally a trophy for the cast to fight over in the finale. Sigh. Remember when the show runners said Mai was as important as the Riders? Yuuuup.

Even with all its dubious writing faults, Gaim is still a drat great show. The Rider War flashforward was pretty cool, even if it was ultimately meaningless!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

After being dissapointed in Yuki, Miu, Rinko, Mayu, Mai and Yoko I have absolutely no expectations going into Drive about its cast. Finally I think Rider has managed to crush all hope from me.

I'm still excited to see the karatecyborg carman, because the previews make it seem like it'll be a fun show with cool special effects and that's all I can reasonably expect.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Potsticker posted:

I was surprised that they did go back to the weird war thing from the first episode. A month ago I would've confidently toxxed myself saying it would never be revisited. Of course it didn't turn out to be anything other than some weird vision of the fate of those who could seize the golden apple or whatever nonsense, but they did go back to it so it still left me a little impressed.

It felt like how Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann had that in medias res scene at the very start that the writers completely forgot about, but instead of ignoring it they crammed the alternate universe thing in there. Same with "Time travel apparently fucks up what you want to say".

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

Killer Queen posted:

Urobuchi has never written a decent female character though, so it's nothing new.

I don't know, he did write Madoka, though that may have been a fluke.

It would be pretty funny if the last episode took a sudden swerve and had Mai go "gently caress your pissing contests, I spent 45 episodes on the sidelines, I'm using the fruit myself", but I'm not holding my breath.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Potsticker posted:

After being dissapointed in Yuki, Miu, Rinko, Mayu, Mai and Yoko I have absolutely no expectations going into Drive about its cast. Finally I think Rider has managed to crush all hope from me.

Wait, what was wrong with Rinko? Maybe it's lowered expectations, but I thought she was handled very well. Or maybe I'm missing something, that's possible.

Fred is on posted:

It would be pretty funny if the last episode took a sudden swerve and had Mai go "gently caress your pissing contests, I spent 45 episodes on the sidelines, I'm using the fruit myself", but I'm not holding my breath.

That time travel sequence was Mai using the fruit herself. The bigger issue is she gave up after that failed and resigned herself to her fate as the main three's prize.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

King of Solomon posted:

Wait, what was wrong with Rinko? Maybe it's lowered expectations, but I thought she was handled very well. Or maybe I'm missing something, that's possible.

Pretty much nothing was wrong with any of those characters-- from the start of the series. Rinko in particular was one I had stupidly high expectations for. She was a cop with a gun and-- did nothing whatsoever during the series and almost never did anything police work related.

What it comes down to is I've watched a fair amount of Heisei Kamen Rider at this point and just never learned my lesson I guess. (Kuuga, Agito, Kiva and Hibiki I haven't watched yet, Blade and Ryuki I didn't finish)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Potsticker posted:

Pretty much nothing was wrong with any of those characters-- from the start of the series. Rinko in particular was one I had stupidly high expectations for. She was a cop with a gun and-- did nothing whatsoever during the series and almost never did anything police work related.

What it comes down to is I've watched a fair amount of Heisei Kamen Rider at this point and just never learned my lesson I guess. (Kuuga, Agito, Kiva and Hibiki I haven't watched yet, Blade and Ryuki I didn't finish)

Kuuga and Agito have like half their stories dedicated to the police force/side characters Getting poo poo done on their own. It's kind of why I was excited to see a police detective as the first main side character because I hoped we might return to the days of Detective Ichijo, monster hunter.

Wizard, as always, destroyed my last hope.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Wizard's existance compared to its theme is still the most hilarious thing ever.

That's like Gaim encouraging kids to eat junk food, or Fourze making kids more isolated. :allears:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Kuuga and Agito have like half their stories dedicated to the police force/side characters Getting poo poo done on their own. It's kind of why I was excited to see a police detective as the first main side character because I hoped we might return to the days of Detective Ichijo, monster hunter.

Wizard, as always, destroyed my last hope.

I had heard of the strong police presence in Kuuga and Agito, which helped fuel my hopes for Rinko.

Wizard is at an odd place for me because there are a lot of things I enjoyed about it as compared to Gaim, to bring discussion back to the thread topic. But for someone who hasn't watched either I'd easily recommend trying out Gaim over Wizard. As much as I haven't enjoyed it, clearly there are people who have gotten really into it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I still say Tackle is the best lady Rider in any TV series.

Sure, she died, but she died taking down an enemy more powerful than the hero himself, and for what it's worth she was MEANT to come back as a full on Rider but something (Go Ranger) made Stronger end early.

She wasn't always treated well, but damnit, she was still more of an equal than most of the ones who've followed her. Not that that's a long list.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I was thinking. What if, and I'm just saying this as an if, Micchy were to redeem himself...by awakening a new power. Not the power of Hell, but the power...OF FRIENDSHIP!

COSMIC! FOURZE ARMS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Blaze Dragon posted:

I was thinking. What if, and I'm just saying this as an if, Micchy were to redeem himself...by awakening a new power. Not the power of Hell, but the power...OF FRIENDSHIP!

COSMIC! FOURZE ARMS!
All things considered, wouldn't Meteor Storm Arms be more fitting, since he did sort-of-succeed at killing the main character?

• Locked thread