Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Lord Bude posted:

Just remember that liver isn't something you should make a habit of eating often. It's loaded with cholesterol and incredibly bad for you.

Noted.

I have one smaller piece left. The dredged/fried/topped with onions was ok, but too much for me for one sitting. By the end I had a thicker, sinewy piece that I just tossed because I was full.

Any other simple ideas for what I can try with that second chunk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

CommonShore posted:

Noted.

I have one smaller piece left. The dredged/fried/topped with onions was ok, but too much for me for one sitting. By the end I had a thicker, sinewy piece that I just tossed because I was full.

Any other simple ideas for what I can try with that second chunk?

I think the Brits put it in pies.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

The Lord Bude posted:

Just remember that liver isn't something you should make a habit of eating often. It's loaded with cholesterol and incredibly bad for you.

Liver is not bad for you unless it's polar bear liver and you have a shakleton thing happening. Try again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Liver is not bad for you unless it's polar bear liver and you have a shakleton thing happening. Try again.

Yeah after that post I did some research. I knew about the polar bear thing already, and I couldn't find anything else.

You have any suggestions for what I can do with a chunk o' liver?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CommonShore posted:

Yeah after that post I did some research. I knew about the polar bear thing already, and I couldn't find anything else.

Make some pate with it?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

CommonShore posted:

Well, liver with caramelized onions and mushrooms is a classic dish for a reason. Not something you should eat everyday though.

Liver stir fry, Chinese style also works surprisingly well. Or red braised liver.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I disagree, and so does every doctor and dietitian I've asked over the years.. Offal has the highest concentration of cholesterol of any meat, and liver also has so much vitamin A that you can actually get harmful amounts of it.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2004/jan/16/medicineandhealth.food

http://www.everydayhealth.com/high-cholesterol-pictures/ten-high-cholesterol-foods-to-avoid.aspx#10

Perhaps I was overdoing it when I called it 'incredibly bad for you' - It's not a giant tub of icecream or anything - it still isn't something you should be eating a meal of on even a weekly basis.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

But for the most part, cholesterol in food isn't the cholesterol that hurts you, right?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

silvergoose posted:

But for the most part, cholesterol in food isn't the cholesterol that hurts you, right?

Cholesterol in meat and certain Seafood is the bad type. Saturated fat (found mostly in meat and dairy, but also in other things like coconut (which should also be avoided)) in general is particularly bad for you. This is why recent decades have seen a shift away from cooking in animal fat (which includes butter) towards olive oil.

Anyhow I'm not a Doctor, and I don't want to be posting anything that can be construed as medical advice, I just think that it's very possible to cook real food on a tight budget and still have a healthy and nutritious diet, and the latter sometimes gets overlooked in this thread. Also, being healthy will save money in the long run!

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 20, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I like liver ground up into meatballs now and then. Or minced into sauces, turned into pâté, or really prepared any way. But I love me some organmeats :yum:

neogeo0823 posted:

Zucchini chat? Lemme link you guys to this: Zucchini Corn Pancakes.

I just finished making these with my daughter using Monterey Jack. It is a wicked solid and kid-friendly recipe, the girl still wants to grate everything in the fridge. They would make a great beer on the deck snack with a nice biscuity pilsner.

Also, any favorite chicory dishes? I've got a head I should use tomorrow and am feeling indecisive.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

silvergoose posted:

Well, if your diet is varied and you don't eat too much, everything is good for you.
even the "healthy fish you should eat" is bad if you eat it more than once or twice a week (due to heavy metals)

I wouldnt worry about vitamin a toxicity due to eating liver, as was mentioned earlier.....you'll get sick of eating liver everyday waaaaay before you've consumed too much vitamin a,

anyway, eat various things and everyone will be fine, that's the message
hell even water will kill you if you drink too much of it,

and yes, you can eat the bad kind of cholesterol, with prawns for example....but they're yummie, so if you are healthy, just enjoy it once in a while

edit to add that I'll make an exception to my rules for any allergygirls on planes....

paraquat fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 20, 2014

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

CommonShore posted:

Handchop it up with some pork and beef cuts and make the the best godamn burger.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

CommonShore posted:

Make chicken liver mousse.

Soak livers in milk ~1 hour. Rinse and dry well. Sear to rare/medium rare, set aside. Sweat some diced shallots, garlic and thyme, remove from pan and deglaze with white wine/brandy/something you have on hand (this is the budget cooking thread after all). Set slightly reduced liquid and fond. Add livers, garlic, shallots, thyme and pan liquid to blender, as well as a spoonful of mustard (preferably dijon), a couple spoonfuls of sour cream, a few spoons of butter and about a teaspoon of pink salt. Blend well, season and if you have it, pass through a fine mesh strainer.

Store in a container that leaves the least surface area exposed, and cover the surface directly with some plastic wrap, this oxidizes really easily. Let it set in the fridge for a couple hours before eating, that will let it set up into a nice chicken liver spread.

E: As this is the budget thread, the only constants in this recipe, really, are the liver and fats (butter, sour cream), as well as the pink salt, to be safe. You can use onion instead of shallot, skip the fresh thyme, deglaze with water, whatever you want. It'll probably just taste a bit more flat.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, meat's god damned expensive right now. 1lb of 80/20 ground beef used to cost $2.89, and now it costs $3.99. non-ground is ridiculous. Chicken's up, and pork's right out. This sucks, cause I love a good steak.

Since I now apparently have to go vegetarian if I want to afford anything other than meat, I've moved from the amazing pork burrito recipe on page 55 to this kickass bean and cheese burrito recipe for my frozen lunchtime needs. While the recipe looks really good, I'll admit I haven't tried it yet, since they have just come out of the oven and are cooling, and I ate a bunch of leftover rice, corn, and beans, so I'm pretty full. I'll be happy to post a trip report tomorrow after I have one for lunch.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

neogeo0823 posted:

So, meat's god damned expensive right now. 1lb of 80/20 ground beef used to cost $2.89, and now it costs $3.99. non-ground is ridiculous. Chicken's up, and pork's right out. This sucks, cause I love a good steak.

Since I now apparently have to go vegetarian if I want to afford anything other than meat, I've moved from the amazing pork burrito recipe on page 55 to this kickass bean and cheese burrito recipe for my frozen lunchtime needs. While the recipe looks really good, I'll admit I haven't tried it yet, since they have just come out of the oven and are cooling, and I ate a bunch of leftover rice, corn, and beans, so I'm pretty full. I'll be happy to post a trip report tomorrow after I have one for lunch.

Yeah, I used to be able to find pork butt or shoulder for sale at $.99 a pound, now it goes on sale for 2.39. Ground beef prices are the same as yours. Steaks went from a year ago at 8.99 to now 12.99/lb for a ribeye at the cheapest place. Chicken is the only thing that's been staying reasonable, but I don't like preparing it. I live in what's considered a kind of poor city too.

I've gone almost vegetarian now. Lot's of veggie only dishes, or bean centric stuff, or pasta. Will probably try out that burrito recipe with some modifications, like my own salsa and no canned chiles.

Been messing around a lot with tofu lately. It's not the cheapest, but it's versatile, and regularly seems to go on sale for 2bucks a block. Does anyone have decent recipes for it? So far my best outing was dicing and baking the drained tofu and then chilling it and using it with a salad and some seasame dressing. I tried http://iamafoodblog.com/crispy-sriracha-honey-lime-tofu-recipe/ but was very disappointed. I especially didn't like the texture of the tofu. Tomorrow or the day after I'm going to try http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/eggplant-tofu-stir-fry-00100000086757/index.html since eggplant is pretty cheap.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

Yeah, I used to be able to find pork butt or shoulder for sale at $.99 a pound, now it goes on sale for 2.39. Ground beef prices are the same as yours. Steaks went from a year ago at 8.99 to now 12.99/lb for a ribeye at the cheapest place. Chicken is the only thing that's been staying reasonable, but I don't like preparing it. I live in what's considered a kind of poor city too.

I've gone almost vegetarian now. Lot's of veggie only dishes, or bean centric stuff, or pasta. Will probably try out that burrito recipe with some modifications, like my own salsa and no canned chiles.

Been messing around a lot with tofu lately. It's not the cheapest, but it's versatile, and regularly seems to go on sale for 2bucks a block. Does anyone have decent recipes for it? So far my best outing was dicing and baking the drained tofu and then chilling it and using it with a salad and some seasame dressing. I tried http://iamafoodblog.com/crispy-sriracha-honey-lime-tofu-recipe/ but was very disappointed. I especially didn't like the texture of the tofu. Tomorrow or the day after I'm going to try http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/eggplant-tofu-stir-fry-00100000086757/index.html since eggplant is pretty cheap.

Tofu cut into 1/2-inch cubes, drained, placed on a greased cookie sheet, covered in salt and pepper, and baked like you mention is my staple for salads. Otherwise, to use it in a stir fry I cut it the same way, drain it, and stir fry it before anything else, trying to brown each side. Then put it to the side, cook all of your other stuff, and add the tofu back and then coat with whatever sauce you're using. Doing it this way helps you get each side nice and browned.

If you want to try it without Asian flavors, this is a good one:

I think this is from One-Dish Vegetarian Recipes originally posted:

Barbecued Tofu over Rice

1 small onion, coarsely chopped
1 large garlic clove, coarsely chopped
1 c tomato sauce
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 T vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
2 t dijon mustard
2 T light brown sugar
1/2 t salt
1/4 t cayenne pepper
1 T extra virgin olive oil
1 pound extra-ffirm tofu drained, blotted dry and cut into 1/2 inch thick slices
4-5 cups rice

Place the onion and garlic in a food processor and pulse until onion is finely chopped. Add tomato sauce, lemon juice, vegetarian Worcestershire, mustard, brown sugar, salt and cayenne and process until smooth. Transfer sauce mixture to a saucepan, bring to a simmer, and simmer gently, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu slices in batches, turning once, and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side.

Add all tofu back to the skillet, add barbecue sauce and bring to a simmer and simmer for about 10 min, spooning sauce over tofu to coat well. Serve over hot rice.

You can also grill it into steaks, I like it that way because it really dries out the tofu.

My go-to for tofu recipes when I first started dating a vegetarian and had no idea what I was doing was Vegetarian Times. This (http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/baked-tofu-nuggets/) is a really easy and cheap recipe that I really like.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

detectivemonkey posted:

Tofu cut into 1/2-inch cubes, drained, placed on a greased cookie sheet, covered in salt and pepper, and baked like you mention is my staple for salads. Otherwise, to use it in a stir fry I cut it the same way, drain it, and stir fry it before anything else, trying to brown each side. Then put it to the side, cook all of your other stuff, and add the tofu back and then coat with whatever sauce you're using. Doing it this way helps you get each side nice and browned.

If you want to try it without Asian flavors, this is a good one:

You can also grill it into steaks, I like it that way because it really dries out the tofu.

My go-to for tofu recipes when I first started dating a vegetarian and had no idea what I was doing was Vegetarian Times. This (http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/baked-tofu-nuggets/) is a really easy and cheap recipe that I really like.

Cool, thanks. That faux nugget one sounds interesting, and there's some pretty cool stuff on that site. There's also a Three Sisters Casserole on there that looks right up my alley. Site has been bookmarked.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Leper Residue posted:

I especially didn't like the texture of the tofu.
Try throwing it in the freezer for a day or so before you use it. Freezing the water inside the tofu will stretch out the pores and make the whole thing a lot chewier /spongier (and also yellow for some reason).

As a bonus, this also makes it easier to get all the water out (and thus more flavor in).

justasmile
Aug 22, 2006

Everybody's free to feel good...

Leper Residue posted:

My husband is (more or less) vegan, so I cook with tofu a lot. It's easy to make it into a scramble with vegetables and spices like this . We also make a scramble with about 2 cups of chopped kimchi and 3-4 cloves of garlic and serve it in a tortilla with some pickled carrots and daikon.

This version of baked tofu is the best I've found. It has a nice, chewy texture on the outside and holds up really well in a stir fry.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Leper Residue posted:

My problem is that I really don't like things like pasta and potatoes because I'm trying to lose weight. It seems like the cheaper foods can be very energy packed which is bad for someone like me who naturally eats specific amounts regardless of the content of the food.

I have been working on using them to stretch meat and vegetables rather than having them be the main attraction.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

neogeo0823 posted:

As promised, a trip report: I underestimated just how much the salsa in the recipe would effect the taste of the burritos. I had used a Serrano pepper and tomatillo salsa. It's a tangy, but modestly hot salsa. I should've used a salsa that was either tangy or hot, not both. The resulting burrito wasn't bad, but it felt like it should've either been tangier or hotter, which was a bit disappointing in that regard. I'd probably go with a straight salsa verde next time. Other than that, I'd also suggest almost doubling the amount of cheese in the filling. If I'm having a bean and cheese burrito, I'd like the cheese to be present and gooey/stringy. The current amount basically just binds the filling together, and doesn't give that gooey, melty feel in the mouth.

Other than those two things, which are easily correctable, the recipe turned out pretty good. I'd probably sub half of the corn for finely diced onions just on principle, but other than that, it's totally passable.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I love me some veggies but the prices for a lot of it can be a bit harsh. I've started to buy big discount frozen veggie packets, so does frozen stuff still have the same nutrients and vitamins the real deal has? I'd imagine at least some of it would disappear.

Also, beans. Beans are cheap and supposedly nutrient-rich. I live in Finland and scandinavians don't use beans in anything. What am I supposed to do with them? The white ones are in a pretty bleak tomato soup-thingy and kidney beans are in a salted liquid, so I'll have to get rid of that, but what then?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

I love me some veggies but the prices for a lot of it can be a bit harsh. I've started to buy big discount frozen veggie packets, so does frozen stuff still have the same nutrients and vitamins the real deal has? I'd imagine at least some of it would disappear.

Also, beans. Beans are cheap and supposedly nutrient-rich. I live in Finland and scandinavians don't use beans in anything. What am I supposed to do with them? The white ones are in a pretty bleak tomato soup-thingy and kidney beans are in a salted liquid, so I'll have to get rid of that, but what then?

Frozen veggies will actually be the best nutritionally - they get snap frozen right away, so they don't deteriorate over time like fresh veggies, which can often be weeks old by the time they get to the store.

As for beans, you're better off buying dry beans. (it will be much cheaper too) if you must use tinned look for brands with the fewest extra poo poo added - a bit of salt and water is ok - and rinse thoroughly.

Look into Mediterranean cuisines, and also indian and Mexican for cooking ideas.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Illinois Smith posted:

Try throwing it in the freezer for a day or so before you use it. Freezing the water inside the tofu will stretch out the pores and make the whole thing a lot chewier /spongier (and also yellow for some reason).

As a bonus, this also makes it easier to get all the water out (and thus more flavor in).

So for this, I take it out of the package, throw it in a freezer bag or something, and then put it into the freezer? Should I slice it first, or just the whole block all at once?

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
It doesn't really matter. I usually just buy a huge package whenever the local asian grocery has tofu on sale and throw the whole thing in the freezer as is.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

Zucchini chat? Lemme link you guys to this: Zucchini Corn Pancakes. We made them a few weeks ago as a side with barbeque chicken, and it went wonderfully. We roasted the corn on the grill(don't soak that poo poo. Don't even shuck it. Take whole ear of corn, toss on indirect heat on a grill or in the oven at ~350 for 30 minutes. Then shuck and eat.), and we shredded pepperjack cheese, but followed the recipe exactly otherwise. The only thing I would change would be to halve the recipe, since it made a metric rear end-load of pancakes, and took the two of us three days to go through all the batter. Other than that, they were drat tasty.

Wish I would have remembered this whole post and halved the recipe. Holy poo poo I have so much zucchini fritter batter. I'm gonna be eating fritters all week long, the other stuff I bought is going to go bad before I'm done with this stuff.

Illinois Smith posted:

It doesn't really matter. I usually just buy a huge package whenever the local asian grocery has tofu on sale and throw the whole thing in the freezer as is.

Cool, gonna go with the drain then freeze method. Especially since I'm dealing with fritters all week long.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Leper Residue posted:

Wish I would have remembered this whole post and halved the recipe. Holy poo poo I have so much zucchini fritter batter. I'm gonna be eating fritters all week long, the other stuff I bought is going to go bad before I'm done with this stuff.

Deep fry fritters as a side with dinner. Make large pancakes in the morning(they go great with maple syrup). Make a sandwich with them. Make muffins with them. You kind of have to get creative to get rid of all that batter.

vonjonkman
Oct 30, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

Are you looking exclusively for land animal meat? Eggs are usually pretty cheap (and great in burritoes and sandwiches), and you can find deals on canned fish (salmon is usually recommended, if I am not mistaken, as it is usually from Alaskan wild-caught -- better nutritionally and environmentally; tuna is a bit worse on both counts, but may go on sale more often. I am sure it has been said before, but both last for ages, take advantages of sales).

You can make egg salad, salmon salad, tuna salad, all great eating for the price of the bread, protein, and any kind of dressing and veg you like. Could probably get 2 or 3 days of lunch from a little can of tuna (4 oz?) made into tuna salad sandwiches, a whole week of salmon (can is usually 14 oz, I think) salad or 4 eggs made into egg salad sandwiches. But I am a bit stingy.

Hummus sandwiches are pretty great, and less likely to drip on you if you have to eat on the go. Pretty cheap if you make the hummus from dried garbanzos.

My one recommendation is, if you can, go shop in a richer area, and check their short sells/manager specials/if you are poor you know what I mean. One of the grocry stores near work generally has a TON of amazing stuff for, if not half-off, close to. You have to judge how you feel about the freshness, but tonight after work, I walked past the fish area, and was eyeing up the discount fish selection. There was a fish guy about to put down a lot of discount stuff, and saw me checking what was available. He glanced over and said, yeah, I have a TON of this, before putting down a lot of wild-caught coho salmon. He glanced over at me and my mostly empty basket again, and said, I just cut this 3 minutes ago.

I picked up a pair of filets. Again, judgement. If it hadnt looked amazing, I would have asked what he would have taken home from the markdown, and you might want to employ that tactic. If you find a friendly fish person, well, drat! Get to be friends with a fish person and buy cheaper. Ditto for meat person.

Oh, and the salmon was delicious. As are beans and stuff.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

vonjonkman posted:

Are you looking exclusively for land animal meat? Eggs are usually pretty cheap (and great in burritoes and sandwiches), and you can find deals on canned fish (salmon is usually recommended, if I am not mistaken, as it is usually from Alaskan wild-caught -- better nutritionally and environmentally; tuna is a bit worse on both counts, but may go on sale more often. I am sure it has been said before, but both last for ages, take advantages of sales).

You can make egg salad, salmon salad, tuna salad, all great eating for the price of the bread, protein, and any kind of dressing and veg you like. Could probably get 2 or 3 days of lunch from a little can of tuna (4 oz?) made into tuna salad sandwiches, a whole week of salmon (can is usually 14 oz, I think) salad or 4 eggs made into egg salad sandwiches. But I am a bit stingy.

Hummus sandwiches are pretty great, and less likely to drip on you if you have to eat on the go. Pretty cheap if you make the hummus from dried garbanzos.

My one recommendation is, if you can, go shop in a richer area, and check their short sells/manager specials/if you are poor you know what I mean. One of the grocry stores near work generally has a TON of amazing stuff for, if not half-off, close to. You have to judge how you feel about the freshness, but tonight after work, I walked past the fish area, and was eyeing up the discount fish selection. There was a fish guy about to put down a lot of discount stuff, and saw me checking what was available. He glanced over and said, yeah, I have a TON of this, before putting down a lot of wild-caught coho salmon. He glanced over at me and my mostly empty basket again, and said, I just cut this 3 minutes ago.

I picked up a pair of filets. Again, judgement. If it hadnt looked amazing, I would have asked what he would have taken home from the markdown, and you might want to employ that tactic. If you find a friendly fish person, well, drat! Get to be friends with a fish person and buy cheaper. Ditto for meat person.

Oh, and the salmon was delicious. As are beans and stuff.

Certain fish have high levels of mercury and other base metals in them, and so shouldn't be eaten very often. Tuna is in the highest 'you should try to avoid eating this' category whereas salmon is in the lowest 'eat as much as you want' category.

butterflygds
Mar 14, 2011
Damnit! I promised the bf I would not fix beans this week, but all this hummus talk caused me to start a pot of chickpeas tonight, resulting in an argument over whether chickpeas are beans or peas.

In other news, for dinner I made a pie crust and filled it with corned beef hash (canned)to which I added chopped carrots and onions. I just laid the pie crust on a pizza stone, put the filling on half of it (minus the edges), folded the other half over, sealed the edges, and added a couple vent holes in the top - baked at 400 until golden brown. I'm not a big fan of canned hash, but this was pretty tasty! This works great with many meat/veggie/starch combos and is filling and cheap.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Definitely beans.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

butterflygds posted:

Damnit! I promised the bf I would not fix beans this week, but all this hummus talk caused me to start a pot of chickpeas tonight, resulting in an argument over whether chickpeas are beans or peas.

In other news, for dinner I made a pie crust and filled it with corned beef hash (canned)to which I added chopped carrots and onions. I just laid the pie crust on a pizza stone, put the filling on half of it (minus the edges), folded the other half over, sealed the edges, and added a couple vent holes in the top - baked at 400 until golden brown. I'm not a big fan of canned hash, but this was pretty tasty! This works great with many meat/veggie/starch combos and is filling and cheap.

From google:

quote:

The chickpea (Cicer arietinum) is a legume of the family Fabaceae, subfamily Faboideae. Its seeds are high in protein. It is one of the earliest cultivated legumes: 7,500-year-old remains have been found in the Middle East. Other common names for the species include garbanzo bean, ceci bean, channa and Bengal gram.

Canned hash can be pretty decent if you pan fry it first. Just add like half a tablespoon of oil to a pan and add the hash. Fry over medium, stirring occasionally, being careful of popping bits, until it's brown and crispy. Then use it in whatever dish you're making.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I tried making slow cooker chicken tacos the other day, but it actually came out as a super easy chili. 5 minutes of prep, $4 invested, I got 3-4 servings which reheated well. I used a small crock pot, so you could easily double this recipe for a normal sized one.

1x chicken leg and thigh
8 oz salsa
8 oz black beans, drained (I just used half a can, you could probably use dried beans, cook them first )
4 oz frozen corn
1/4 cup water
cayenne pepper, chili powder, and black pepper to taste

put it all into the crock pot for 8 hours. At the end, remove the chicken bones and stir until the chicken shreds. It worked as a taco filling as well, if you wanted to go that route. I just hot plated some corn tortillas with a small slice of pepperjack cheese and then put this filling into it with sriracha and lettuce. I lightly dipped mine into sour cream as I ate them.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

adorai posted:

I tried making slow cooker chicken tacos the other day, but it actually came out as a super easy chili. 5 minutes of prep, $4 invested, I got 3-4 servings which reheated well. I used a small crock pot, so you could easily double this recipe for a normal sized one.

1x chicken leg and thigh
8 oz salsa
8 oz black beans, drained (I just used half a can, you could probably use dried beans, cook them first )
4 oz frozen corn
1/4 cup water
cayenne pepper, chili powder, and black pepper to taste

put it all into the crock pot for 8 hours. At the end, remove the chicken bones and stir until the chicken shreds. It worked as a taco filling as well, if you wanted to go that route. I just hot plated some corn tortillas with a small slice of pepperjack cheese and then put this filling into it with sriracha and lettuce. I lightly dipped mine into sour cream as I ate them.

I'm not a big fan of slow cooker chicken.

Take a tomato or two, a red onion, a clove of garlic, and a jalapeno (I like some habanero in there as well), dice em up add a dash of cumin, salt, chile powder, cayenne and a dash of lime juice and voila awesome salsa. Throw your corn in with the salsa as well. Cook your chicken in the oven at 350 until it's done. Pull the meat. Shred some cheese. Put a little cheese on the tortilla, then some chicken, some salsa, the beans (which is pretty much the only time I'll use canned stuff), and then more cheese. Heat it in a skillet, about half way through fold the tortilla in half for about a minute and then flip it for another minute. Bam, awesome quesadillas.

Also, no reason to use frozen corn right now depending on where you live. I can currently get 10 ears of corn for 2 dollars.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 3, 2014

butterflygds
Mar 14, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

From google:

Canned hash can be pretty decent if you pan fry it first. Just add like half a tablespoon of oil to a pan and add the hash. Fry over medium, stirring occasionally, being careful of popping bits, until it's brown and crispy. Then use it in whatever dish you're making.

Thanks! If he buys another can of it, I will try frying it up first.

I made a huge pot of hummus with the chickpeas (of which I froze 2/3 of it) and some pita to eat it with.

I was able to go to the Tuesday Farmers Market yesterday and scored a bunch of tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers, so now I have a nice gazpacho marinating in the fridge for dinner tonight or tomorrow. I just need to make a loaf of crusty bread to dip in it!

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Julia Child's potato gratin with anchovy (gratin de pommes de terre aux anchois) from Mastering the Art of French Cooking Vol. 1 is pretty great:

It walks a delicious line between gratin and quiche when you use eggs whisked in cream rather than her suggestion that béchamel will also work. I'll probably crank out a scaled batch for Christmas supper as it is easy to pre-prep before things get busy and then slide in the oven when ready.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

ManOfTheYear posted:

Disappear? Explain this thought process.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Light, oxygen and heat can destroy nutrients. Frozen vegetables and fruit get less exposure to those three than fresh ones. Fresh can mean vastly different amounts of time, while frozen is ideally always frozen at the optimal time and stays in that state.

Buy fresh because of the texture or if you know that it is really fresh. Otherwise frozen is superior from a nutrition perspective.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I buy very few frozen because I really can't stand the textures, which is a problem because frozen is cheaper and better otherwise.

Also, BudgetBytes is doing the "SNAP challenge" this month to raise awareness on how difficult it is to live on $4.50 a day. Should be a good series this month

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/09/feeding-america-snap-challenge/

She's already made a big batch of seasoned rice that will pair with future meals

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/09/snap-challenge-seasoned-rice/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
only frozen food I use is peas (and food I freeze myself of course)
but that's mainly because I'm lucky enough to be able to buy pretty cheap fruit and vegetables.

And yeah, I saw that...budgetbytes is a great site.

atm I'm making these
http://hostthetoast.com/bacon-cheddar-caramelized-onion-and-potato-pierogi/
very cheap, although it needs a side of mushrooms or a batch of onions for health reasons and all