Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Test 2: Ulf is tuning in to the senses of an Ulf whose feet are in a bucket in water.

Test 3: Ulf in tuning in to the senses of a confused looking Ulf who is covered in sticky notes that read 'THIS IS NOT A SNAKE'.

Test 4: Ulf is tuning in to the senses of an Ulf who is throwing up his hands in annoyance and walking away.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Another zany new-strip adventure:

Ulf: Wait, this test won't be so bad. It won't suck at all! I'll just have the other mes fulfil all my entertainment needs!

(A grinning Christian Ulf begins tuning in, his 'window' moving across very, very slowly.)

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 29, 2014

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
I'm starting to get suspicious. So the whole cult thing was potentially a red herring? Why haven't we seen any other Ulves besides green-hair for so long?

Most likely the cult is behind it and cut a deal with the terrorists or something, but green-hair is still shifty.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I just caught up to Brain Chip after taking a break around April. How likely is it that the Ulves and are part of nuke the universes conspiracy in the first place without knowing it? And that Vera is in on it in the first place? I guess some Ulves could be willingly in on it as well.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Mister Olympus posted:

I'm starting to get suspicious. So the whole cult thing was potentially a red herring? Why haven't we seen any other Ulves besides green-hair for so long?

Most likely the cult is behind it and cut a deal with the terrorists or something, but green-hair is still shifty.

I don't think Ulfs can lie to each other

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Yeah, they can literally read each other's minds and memories. An "evil" Ulf would be interesting, but the reason we haven't seen any other Ulfs in a while is probably just economy of storytelling.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also the cult may well be part of this hypothetical evil genius's contingency plans, besides the drug-dealing terrorists.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

:ohdear: oh no ulf!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Eh. 1 down (maybe), 12000 more to go.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Also the cult may well be part of this hypothetical evil genius's contingency plans, besides the drug-dealing terrorists.

Yeah, remember that there's four different possible start-points for the nuclear war. The cult likely wants to obtain New Mahlberg's nuke, and knew from the phone call that Ulf wanted to prevent the end of the world.

Ulf's best bet it to find and stop the four nukes, since the Evil Mastermind is currently out of his reach.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 4, 2014

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Aisha's line in the first panel might be the funniest single sentence Thorsby's written yet.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Carrasco posted:

Aisha's line in the first panel might be the funniest single sentence Thorsby's written yet.

Where was Satan/Lucifer on the angelic heirarchy? Because most or all of the types of angels have names ending with '-im', making it perfect for that classic format, "_______-im? Never even met 'im!"

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

BiggerJ posted:

Where was Satan/Lucifer on the angelic heirarchy? Because most or all of the types of angels have names ending with '-im', making it perfect for that classic format, "_______-im? Never even met 'im!"

Seraphim

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
"Nope"

-Ulf, being Ulfsmart.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

This feels like the kind of Thorsbyian logic puzzle we haven't had yet, but the answer is probably just that any Ulf from a universe where any of those things didn't happen is dead.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Frank, Corbin and Wes were all loved ones of aspiring cult members. Mystery solved.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah it seems like less a puzzle and more a simple demonstration of the weak anthropic principle.

The grim part is that if it took such unlikely events for his plans to be foiled for so long, in the vast majority of universes where he got started he succeeded years ago.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 9, 2014

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

The flip side to that is that there are probably more universes than not where he never came up with this idea, or was never able to get that far with it--like misjudging people he expected to kill for him.

But then, in the vast majority of universes the Earth was probably scoured clean during the Cold War.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Well, for the comic's purposes only universes created since Ulf got the chip matter. So really all that matters are events of the last 14 weeks in terms of creating new universes. That means every single Ulf got super lucky that all those cultists died randomly years ago.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Edit: No, no, my 'earlier brain chip' theory makes no sense. Gah. Thorsby might be trying to pull something new on us. There might be a big piece of information we're missing.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 14, 2014

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Or it could just be a joke about how if the cultist leader was rational he might consider that maybe God was trying to stop him from blowing up the world with all those coincidences, but nope, it's clearly the devil.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

He got at least three times as smart and he still couldn't think of a better plan than "do karate at the people with guns".

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Carrasco posted:

He got at least three times as smart and he still couldn't think of a better plan than "do karate at the people with guns".

I doubt you can think of a plan that's any more loving awesome than that.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Welp, hive mind time.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

That's so loving awesome.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I loving love this comic and stupid Ulf.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

my dad posted:

Welp, hive mind time.
The multiverse is so hosed once every Ulf finishes learning karate.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

He should get another Ulf to play some Blood Bros for him right about now.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Hooray! :unsmith:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

But is he awesome enough to karate his way through an entire army base, or will he have to call them and hope they take his word that two of their guys are end times cultists?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I need a transdimensional brainchip.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

If I were the Mastermind: one war start-point disabled is unfortunate, two is suspicious and probably worth gearing things up a bit for, three means it's time to nuke the loving planet now now now. Who am I kidding, I'd probably panic at two.

Prediction: Once three war start-points are disabled in a universe, the Mastermind will know for certain that something's going on and trigger a war from the fourth source. That's three disabled start-points if Ulf's lucky.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 21, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I love the way Thorsby draws people running.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Now the real storytelling potential of the brain chip is coming out.

http://brainchip.thecomicseries.com/comics/90

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
It occurs to me that warning people about nuclear conspiracies while wearing a shirt with a picture of a bomb on it may not have been the best idea.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Appropriate music.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
And that is why you never go first.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
http://brainchip.thecomicseries.com/comics/99

Now that's some loving Thorsby.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
There goes another Earth :(

Though I guess there are so many of those things (universes) that the only reason to save one Earth is if you're the one on it.

I mean, the entire branch of universes that Ulf started on is under threat, but there are an infinity upon infinity of other universes where every other wonderful or terrible thing that could happen has happened. It's a weirdly comforting idea.

Tax Inductions fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I was expecting that to be a lot more Thorsby than "turn the key".

• Locked thread