Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Student cards are a whole different animal though, you're assumed not to have credit in the first place. It's an introductory thing to get used to having a credit card.

This is true, that and the student "interest free" overdraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzer Attack
Mar 9, 2013

girl, take it easy
It's my dad, he's bad with money.

He's just turned 60, has been crap with money his whole life. He has just borrowed $10,000 to 'invest' in some app my cousin has made. He's going to pay it back with his superannuation apparently and he's invested the money in my name. Welp.

So upset my cousin would allow this as my pa works a minimum wage job and lives in Sydney and I definitely don't want guilt money hanging over my head! My finances were pretty bad about a year ago but I've sorted it all out now and grown from the experience (thanks to BFC).

I'm sure he's got crap all super too. Ugh. He insists he borrowed money from the bank and said the interest rate "wasn't important" which is mildly terrifying as there is no way he has a clean credit history (lots of Cash Converters/Payday-type loans when I was younger etc).

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

FrozenVent posted:

Student cards are a whole different animal though, you're assumed not to have credit in the first place. It's an introductory thing to get used to having a credit card.

I think it's more a chance to lock in customers when they are just starting out in life, since people are slow to change their habits once they have established them. I know CIBC made a fortune off me between my stupid years of floating balances and my later high income years when I was farming points. If I do a life-time-value calculation of me as a customer I've paid for the annual salary of more than one employee. All because of an offer for a credit card when I was 19.

Averaged across an entire population of students it makes a lot of sense.

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

My parents are bad with money and I was a bit naive as a result.

As soon as I had my first job, my dad who is a car fanatic took me to the car dealership and I spent basically all my savings on a car that was as much as one year in wages. I asked him countless times if this was a good idea and he showed me some handkerchief math that driving diesel would save me money in the long run. After a few months diesel was at the highest point ever and yeah, that was lesson number one. I still have the car and will likely drive it until it dies, so maybe it will still be a good thing in the long run.

Then I wanted to buy a apartment and consulted with my parents, we found a very nice place and my parents where persistent that I could afford it. It would've been around 1000 a month in payments, that and having to pay 300 euro's a month to drive to work would've left me around 300 euro's a month to eat and pay the other bills. As I wasn't so sure about the situation I went to some rich family members, who promptly stepped in and asked my parents what the gently caress they were thinking.

After that I had a long distance relationship which cost me a lot of money by traveling every three weeks.

Only as I turned 25 I grew up and looking at my finances and managed to save a bunch of money since then. Girlfriend didn't even know what a savings account was so I guess it could've been worse.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

University I'm taking classes at right now uses a payment processor that charges a $10 convenience fee for cc payments online.

Visa told them to cut that poo poo.

They stopped accepting Visa.

Maybe I should call some credit card companies:

My University posted:

Web Credit Card transactions incur a 2.75% convenience fee based on the amount of the transaction ($3.00 minimum fee)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

thegreatcodfish posted:

But think of the universities, it costs them money to accept credit cards :qq:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Renegret posted:

But think of the universities, it costs them money to accept credit cards :qq:

What's the usual fee charged to vendors for accepting credit cards?

edit:
http://www.cardfellow.com/blog/credit-card-processing-fees/#basefees

For Visa, it is .11% + 4.22 cents + up to 20 more cents for some transactions, + .95% for non-US cards.

Oh. Plus the processor fees. Looks like even without a deal on it it'll probably come out to about 2%, so that being the total rate your employer was paying sounds right.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 2, 2014

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

VideoTapir posted:

What's the usual fee charged to vendors for accepting credit cards?

Don't quote me on this, but I think it's a flat rate or ~2% of the transaction cost, whichever is larger, which is part of the reason why lots of small businesses have a minimum cost before they let you use a card. It's also against the ToS for some cards to charge a CC processing fee but it's not like that's going to stop some places from trying.

(This is just my experience from working at a big box retailer for several years but I always worried about surviving to the end of the day over making money)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The rates depend on the volume the merchant does, the payment service provider they're using and a few other things, I think.

Basically, Amazon pays less in cc fees (as a %) than your hairdresser using square or whatever.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
A lot of other things, really. Also, the size of the transactions; the fees are a % + a fixed amount. I think 2%-3% + ~$0.25 is a normal range, though they can go much higher for riskier transactions.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Just saw someone ask for advice on building non-existent credit on another forum. First reply suggested taking out a mortgage. For the purpose of building credit. :stare:

The people on this forum are generally younger (~20) but drat I hope they grow some more sense before they get in a position to make big life decisions like that.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Credit card fees are generally 2%-5%. Business-to-business transactions will be higher esp with American Express. Also businesses will often use Level 2 transaction data which means much more information is provided on the statement than just the name of the company. The level 2 stuff is usually tax, destination data, ship from zip, etc. Level 3 transactions are even more expensive, but generally only government uses this. This provides line item level detail on the transaction. So it will have the item name, the item sku, quantity of the item, tax per item, unit of measure, etc.

Using a rewards card generally means higher % rates for businesses. Processors will often advertise something like " as low as 1% per transaction!" But that is usually a perfect case scenario that rarely happens. Small businesses generally pay 2.9% + $0.30 https://stripe.com/us/pricing (Paypal) with less variation.

I just got done programming a credit card processor for a monster of a company, so I had to find out a lot about it in the process. :shrug:

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

thegreatcodfish posted:

I've always wondered about this sort of thing. I see retailers doing it all of the time, ie. "Credit card only accepted for orders over $30." What are credit card holders rights when they run into this sort of thing? Usually I have to spend several minutes strong-arming them into accepting my payment via credit card if it doesn't meet their arbitrary threshold. I'm pretty sure that their made-up rules violate their merchant agreement with Visa/Mastercard.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

melon cat posted:

I've always wondered about this sort of thing. I see retailers doing it all of the time, ie. "Credit card only accepted for orders over $30." What are credit card holders rights when they run into this sort of thing? Usually I have to spend several minutes strong-arming them into accepting my payment via credit card if it doesn't meet their arbitrary threshold. I'm pretty sure that their made-up rules violate their merchant agreement with Visa/Mastercard.

Republicans passed into law as part of the Dodd-Frank Act of 2010 that merchants could legally impose minimums of up to $10 on credit card purchases :911:

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/credit-card-minimum-purchase/

EugeneJ fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 2, 2014

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Why don't you just carry some cash around

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

EugeneJ posted:

Republicans passed into law as part of the Dodd-Frank Act of 2010 that merchants could legally impose minimums of up to $10 on credit card purchases :911:

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-minimum-payment-purchases-law-1282.php

It's either that or they jack up margins further and then everyone pays more either way. Or they could also do what my local corner store does and charge $0.35 on every single debit transaction regardless of price (and not take credit cards). Many credit unions will pay back ATM fees so just use cash if it is that much of a problem.

Also it's hardly even a partisan issue.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

EugeneJ posted:

http://creditcardforum.com/blog/credit-card-minimum-purchase/

I don't like Republicans in general but this is as silly as every single THANKS OBAMA comment on CNN/at your relatives' dinner table.

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!

drat Bananas posted:

Just saw someone ask for advice on building non-existent credit on another forum. First reply suggested taking out a mortgage. For the purpose of building credit. :stare:

The people on this forum are generally younger (~20) but drat I hope they grow some more sense before they get in a position to make big life decisions like that.

When did secured credit cards go out of style?

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Use your own money to build credit? That's totally against the point of getting free money on credit!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Droo posted:

Why don't you just carry some cash around
Because if I lose/misplace the money it's gone forever and I'm a cheapskate. Also, paying with my credit card gets me travel points. :tipshat:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

This just popped up in a Quora digest email:

quote:

I'm THIS close to achieving my dream. Should I take this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity?

I come from a pretty poor family, except I have one wealthy cousin. I reached out to him to help me pay for college. Instead of taking out loans from an actual bank, I used my cousin as a bank, taking out a loan from him. We worked with his accounting firm to calculate interest rates and all.

After freshman year of college, I decided that it wasn't for me. I discovered what I wanted to do -- web development/entrepreneurship. I begged my cousin to fund my Hack Reactor tuition. One day during morning announcements at Hack Reactor, I decided to say "gently caress it" and drop out of school. My mother and cousin were none the wiser. The relationship between me and my mother is in a terrible, unhealthy state. I am depressed and anxious living here (the reason for this is beyond the scope of this question).

I informed my mother of my decision and she told my cousin to contact the school to request a refund for for next semester's tuition. I got an email today from my cousin's accountant:

"Hey! When you get the chance, forward that tuition check to my office!"

I have just graduated Hack Reactor and have received a job offer in Los Angeles (I'm from New York).

My tuition money ($21,000) has been mailed to me. It's sitting on my desk, with my name on it. This is the opportunity I've been waiting for. My life will change if I jump on this opportunity. I will be independent. No more bullshit. No more crying myself to sleep. No more worrying about where the next dollar will come from. I will be doing what I love and be feeling good about it.

Should I pack my bags while my parents are at work and get the hell out of here? Or should I give the tuition back to my cousin?

Whatever I take will just be added to the loan, anyway, and I intend to pay all of it back.

Edit

Thank you all for taking your valuable time to help me come to a decision. To those who say "I'd be a thief"... Would I be? I completely understand the moral problems in this dilemma, but this is a check written out to me. It's mine. Can someone please explain?

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Mr. Fix It posted:

This just popped up in a Quora digest email:

http://www.quora.com/Im-THIS-close-to-achieving-my-dream-Should-I-take-this-once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity?share=1

quote:

Here is another scenario I want you to think long and hard about. Your employer gives you a check for $500,000. Do you take this once in a lifetime chance to embezzle your employer and make your dreams come true, or do you man up and fulfill your responsibilities?

:golfclap:

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Not so much bad with money as bad at being a decent human being.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
He's also trying to position it as an either or option to justify stealing. He can give the cheque back and move to his new job. When I got my first job I borrowed money to get work suits and to relocate. Job contracts are drat handy for getting a short term loan.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Wait, is the Quora dude saying he needs the $21K to make the move or that he can use it to begin his dream as a web-development entrepreneur? I don't know much about web design entrepreneurs but the amount seems way too much for the former and way too little for the latter. If he wasn't a greedy gently caress he'd just ask his cousin for a portion to fund the move, the guy has obviously been helpful so far.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I'm confused about what parts of his story are about college and what are about Hack Reactor. He gets money from cousin to go to college, then begs for money to enroll in Hack Reactor. Then while listening to morning announcements at Hack Reactor (is this some sort of campus?), he says gently caress it and drops out of... college I guess? And then graduates from Hack Reactor?

This kid needs to learn how to write narrative prose so we can follow exactly in what way he is a giant fuckup.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

SpelledBackwards posted:

I'm confused about what parts of his story are about college and what are about Hack Reactor. He gets money from cousin to go to college, then begs for money to enroll in Hack Reactor. Then while listening to morning announcements at Hack Reactor (is this some sort of campus?), he says gently caress it and drops out of... college I guess? And then graduates from Hack Reactor?

This kid needs to learn how to write narrative prose so we can follow exactly in what way he is a giant fuckup.

Well he didn't take a writing course and he's an idiot as well. Hack Reactor is apparently a 12 coding bootcamp. Not really a substitute for a CS degree but if he has some job out of it then so be it.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I believe Hack Reactor is one of the more reputable coding bootcamps, so at least that's good, I guess?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I often advise people that if they can do a 1-2 year course that gets them a job then they should do it. If he has a job then that's a good time investment, and probably course cost investment. The rest of it is about ripping off his family.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Cicero posted:

I believe Hack Reactor is one of the more reputable coding bootcamps, so at least that's good, I guess?
Yikes! It's $17,780 for a 12-week course?

:psyduck:

Folly
May 26, 2010

melon cat posted:

Hrm. That's about 1 semester of college, at about twice the price. But without the general ed stuff, which took up about half a semester when I was in school.

So it's not completely ridiculous if you use the cost college as a baseline. Of course, at the moment, the cost college is a lovely baseline. But what else do you compare it to?

I'm kinda torn on this one...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

melon cat posted:

If the number they cite for average starting salary is true(105k), then it's way better ROI than most colleges. Seems reasonable to me. I'd like to see a more detailed breakdown of how they got to that number.

"12 weeks, 6 days per week, 11 hours of in-classroom instruction per day" also is a lot more than a standard college would provide, and those sound like a loving miserable 12 weeks.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 3, 2014

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
We hired one of those coding bootcamp guys at our place, he was a total flake, always late, and quit three weeks into the job to literally "spend more time with his girlfriend."

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

melon cat posted:

I mean, if they really do have a 99% hiring rate with an average starting salary of $100k+, then I'd say it would probably be worth it.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I read it as dropping out of hack reactor as well. Useless and greedy!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Saros posted:

I read it as dropping out of hack reactor as well. Useless and greedy!

That's not what he did though, and if he can actually program and got a reasonable job offer then dropping out of school was probably the right choice.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

ranbo das posted:

I mean, if they really do have a 99% hiring rate with an average starting salary of $100k+, then I'd say it would probably be worth it.

Having been in software development for 8 years after graduating with a CS degree, and looking around at other salaries pretty regularly on glassdoor etc., the claim seems highly dubious to me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

Having been in software development for 8 years after graduating with a CS degree, and looking around at other salaries pretty regularly on glassdoor etc., the claim seems highly dubious to me.

Do you live in the bay area? It definitely seems on par with what I've seen, I had plenty of friends right out of school getting offers around that 5 years ago and the pots have only sweetened since then. It wasn't the average then but I could see how, for a selective program, it could be now. They do also have every motivation to fudge it, and haven't exactly given out their data, so it's hard to tell. If they're lying it is a good enough lie that I don't think you can disprove it with just a sanity check.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Jeffrey posted:

Do you live in the bay area? It definitely seems on par with what I've seen, I had plenty of friends right out of school getting offers around that 5 years ago and the pots have only sweetened since then. It wasn't the average then but I could see how, for a selective program, it could be now. They do also have every motivation to fudge it, and haven't exactly given out their data, so it's hard to tell. If they're lying it is a good enough lie that I don't think you can disprove it with just a sanity check.

No, I live in Chicago. Bay area may be one thing, but national average for "senior software engineer" (i.e. not entry level) is 100k.

edit: seems the average for Senior Software Engineer in SF is about 110k. I'm really calling bullshit on their 105k starting average with 99% placement. It may be a selective program, but there's just no way you get the equivalent of several years of experience and several years of formal education in 12 weeks. Maybe one or two guys could land that.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

No, I live in Chicago. Bay area may be one thing, but national average for "senior software engineer" (i.e. not entry level) is 100k.

Yeah but that school is in the bay area and it doesn't sound like they provide housing, I'm guessing most people going there are going to stick around, and their job-finding assistance is centered around there. I have to imagine they are including a yearly bonus as well, I'm guessing it is self-reported 1 year earnings, not base salary.

Glassdoor says the average for the bay area is 107k for all people listed as "programmer", not just senior ones, but that still doesn't explain 105k for entry-level.

• Locked thread