Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0150 posted:

I got this Lenovo t420 off eBay for $280 shipped:
Processor: Intel Core i5-2520M 2.5 GHz Dual Core
Memory: 4 GB DDR3
Hard Drive: 320 GB 7200 RPM
Display: 14.1"
Video Card: Nvidia Quadro NVS 4200M with 256MB RAM , Resolution: 1600 X 900
Optical Drive: DVD/CD-RW
Battery: Included
WiFi: Included, 802.11n
Bluetooth: Included
Ports : 4 USB 2.0, 1 eSATA, 1 DisplayPort, 1 Gigabit Ethernet
PCMCIA : 1 + Express
VGA : 1
Audio : On Board
Webcam : Included

Got lucky and they actually threw in 8 gb of ram! Honestly I got this model to be nostalgic for the last standard layout keyboard + track point thinkpad. Ill probably throw in a ssd around Black Friday because why not. Criticism is justified against screen quality-- you will need to adjust your viewing angle using this screen. Nonetheless, it's really a great little machine. I can see this satisfying my productivity and my mobile gaming needs (essentially only LoL) for another ~3-4 years because the build quality just feels that good. Overall I'm very happy with the purchase. The biggest concern I've mentioned (primarily viewing angle) has really easy workaround in the home like chromecast, or an external display. Lastly, in the age of tablets you *will* notice a device weighting >4 lbs versus that of a tablet. Shouldn't be a big deal for most folks but tablet capacities are quickly converging on equally priced laptops.

I bought a similar machine except mine had a 160GB disk and didn't have the Nvidia Quadro (which I didn't want anyway because I'm not gaming on it and the Intel drivers are far superior for Linux compatibility). A Samsung 840 EVO and 16GB of RAM later, this thing crushes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Turtlicious posted:

Don't use XoticPC. They don't really warn you if their item's are out of stock, and then you're stuck waiting for weeks because instead of saying they don't know when it'll come they lead you by the nose saying "Oh it should be here next week." It took me 2 or 3 weeks to get them to fess up that our computer wasn't coming and they don't know when it would, and by then my girlfriend almost didn't have a laptop for school.

Not only that once I called the customer service line and it never got picked up, when I called the sales line it did get picked up.

By the same guy who was working the customer service desk that day.

It's lovely that this happened to you but it's also worth noting that several others here have bought a laptop from them and haven't had any problems. I talked to people in both sales and customer service and had good experiences with both.

My friend knows a guy that worked for them in their e-sports division until they closed it down recently. Even after being let go he said it was a good place to buy from.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

I have bought two laptops from Power Notebooks, and they impressed me both times with very good service.

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Etrips posted:

edit: Is the Alienware line still garbage?

I don't understand why you would say this. I have a last-gen Alienware m14x, and it is a very good laptop. All of the online reviews mirror this sentiment, for the new generation as well. The screen has excellent viewing angles with no light bleed. The touchpad is extremely precise. The body has a metal frame, with zero "flex".

They look gaudy as hell, but so do most 'gaming' laptops.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I'm looking for a laptop for school and my requirements are pretty basic(in order of importance): $700ish, reliable, can do basic office tasks(Windows), not-terrible screen, and semi-portable. 14" screen would also be nice, but thats certainly flexible as well. So what are my best options?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Pike posted:

I don't understand why you would say this. I have a last-gen Alienware m14x, and it is a very good laptop. All of the online reviews mirror this sentiment, for the new generation as well. The screen has excellent viewing angles with no light bleed. The touchpad is extremely precise. The body has a metal frame, with zero "flex".

They look gaudy as hell, but so do most 'gaming' laptops.

Yeah, I don't recall ever hearing that Alienware was garbage, just overpriced. And that has come down a bit since Dell bought them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, I don't recall ever hearing that Alienware was garbage, just overpriced. And that has come down a bit since Dell bought them.

I think Alienware's bad rep comes from:

1. Kids would make their parents buy them one for $3,000
2. A $900 desktop performs better
3. They look stupid
4. Battery lasts for about 45 minutes and they double as a space heater
5. LOL 17" 9lbs good luck carrying it around
6. Everyone regrets buying one for the above reasons

Captain Pike
Jul 29, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I think Alienware's bad rep comes from:

1. Kids would make their parents buy them one for $3,000
2. A $900 desktop performs better
3. They look stupid
4. Battery lasts for about 45 minutes and they double as a space heater
5. LOL 17" 9lbs good luck carrying it around
6. Everyone regrets buying one for the above reasons

Well that is just poor planning. :colbert: i7 QM processors don't run all day on batteries. Alienwares are now even listed on Dell's "business" site along with Precisions. I can't find a better-reviewed 14" non-ULV laptop. They are great laptops (inside clown costumes).

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Looks like we have a new chromebook contender Toshiba Chromebook 2. 4GB of ram, 1080 IPS screen and a Bay Trail processor for $330 sounds pretty nice ot me.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/09/toshibas-chromebook-2-will-give-you-a-13-1080p-ips-display-for-330/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Calidus posted:

Looks like we have a new chromebook contender Toshiba Chromebook 2. 4GB of ram, 1080 IPS screen and a Bay Trail processor for $330 sounds pretty nice ot me.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/09/toshibas-chromebook-2-will-give-you-a-13-1080p-ips-display-for-330/

They call an Atom chip a Celeron now? WTF.

The Haswell Celerons would be the minimum I would want.

13", 1600x900 or 1080p with a good keyboard/mouse would be killer.

Basically a MBA that runs Linux perfectly.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Bob Morales posted:

They call an Atom chip a Celeron now? WTF.

The Haswell Celerons would be the minimum I would want.

13", 1600x900 or 1080p with a good keyboard/mouse would be killer.

Basically a MBA that runs Linux perfectly.

Atom chips are Pentium branded too now, you can get either Haswell or Atom Celerons and Pentiums. Always be sure to check exactly what you're getting. These modern Atoms are significantly quicker than the ancient last generation, though. I think a modern Atom would be plenty for a Chromebook, personally. The battery life benefits would make up for the small amount of performance you're giving up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lenovo also came out with a thing yesterday.

7.5lbs of 17 inch gaming notebook.

quote:

Under the hood, the Y70 combines a quad-core Haswell-series Core i7 processor and up to 16GB of RAM and NVIDIA GTX graphics, with a 4GB 860M GPU being the highest-end option. As for storage, you can opt for either a 256 SSD or a 1TB hybrid hard drive with 8GB of cache. Battery life, meanwhile, is rated at five hours -- not that you're likely to travel without a charger. Look for it in October, starting at $1,299.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

These modern Atoms are significantly quicker than the ancient last generation, though. I think a modern Atom would be plenty for a Chromebook, personally. The battery life benefits would make up for the small amount of performance you're giving up.

In terms of raw CPU power they aren't all that much faster than the AMD E-350 which was slow when it came out 3 or 4 years ago

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7314/intel-baytrail-preview-intel-atom-z3770-tested/2

They do well in a few select benchmarks, though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

In terms of raw CPU power they aren't all that much faster than the AMD E-350 which was slow when it came out 3 or 4 years ago

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7314/intel-baytrail-preview-intel-atom-z3770-tested/2

They do well in a few select benchmarks, though.

I'll give you that it's not much faster than an E-350, but that thing itself was massively faster than old atoms. Anything beats the 1.6GHz old atoms that were in the first range of netbooks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Calidus posted:

Well that's interesting. The Samsung got low marks for coming with a pleather case, bad viewing angles and anemic horsepower. This at least fixes two of them, with the added benefit of running x86 code natively. And has VT-x support so you could in theory run VMWare's "windows apps on chrome" whenever that is released.

Looks like that Son-of-Atom Celeron is roughly comparable to the AMD A6-4455M, and shares technology with the HD4000 GPU. I wouldn't write it off completely. That may be my next laptop purchase...

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

bull3964 posted:

Lenovo also came out with a thing yesterday.

7.5lbs of 17 inch gaming notebook.

Wow, it has exactly one monitor output.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Calidus posted:

I am pretty interested in these.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Are docking stations still a thing? My dad wants a laptop he can occasionally carry around the house (so portability isn't much of an issue) but wants to be able to dock it in his office so that he can use a standalone keyboard, monitor, speakers, etc. He also likes being able to securely attach the docking station to his desktop so that he can lock his laptop in place. My younger brothers who still live with him have "borrowed" his laptop for days at a time before and he'd rather lock it than try to reason them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

internet inc posted:

Are docking stations still a thing? My dad wants a laptop he can occasionally carry around the house (so portability isn't much of an issue) but wants to be able to dock it in his office so that he can use a standalone keyboard, monitor, speakers, etc. He also likes being able to securely attach the docking station to his desktop so that he can lock his laptop in place. My younger brothers who still live with him have "borrowed" his laptop for days at a time before and he'd rather lock it than try to reason them.

For 'business' laptops they are still very much a thing.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

internet inc posted:

You don't need a docking station to lock your laptop, and maybe not all docking stations have the ability to "lock" the laptop to the docking station. Most "business" laptops have docking stations. I think many can "lock" the laptop by means of some kensington lock slot and a switch with a lot of them, but I'm not sure.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 3, 2014

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
That's good to know!

Any go-to brand recommendations for business laptops? I'll start my search from there.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

internet inc posted:

That's good to know!

Any go-to brand recommendations for business laptops? I'll start my search from there.

Thinkpad T series, just like the OP has been recommending for the last 5 years.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Yeah, I should have been clearer. Any good business laptop recommendation that can be used with a lockable docking station?

It seems that Lenovo uses docking stations that don't lock. Same thing for Dell. This is going to be harder than I thought. Might have to settle for a simple docking station + Kensington lock.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

internet inc posted:

Yeah, I should have been clearer. Any good business laptop recommendation that can be used with a lockable docking station?

It seems that Lenovo uses docking stations that don't lock. Same thing for Dell. This is going to be harder than I thought. Might have to settle for a simple docking station + Kensington lock.

I don't know about Lenovo's newest docks, but I think Dell's do: https://i.imgur.com/y12BKtb.jpg

I think the lock/unlock slider (in the bottom right picture) won't be movable to the "unlock" position if you have a Kensington lock in that hole above it.

Edit: Likewise, you can see a similar-looking thing with Toshiba's, and you can see an actual lock on some pictures of HP's, but on others... there's just a plastic cover? I don't know what that's about.

shrughes fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 3, 2014

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
Got a Dell XPS 15 and it's awesome.... except it makes a barely audible high pitched noise every time I do something system intensive, I think it's a fan going haywire. Hope it's fixable without an RMA.

If you are buying a high resolution laptop for Adobe products - DON'T DO IT. Their programs are completely unusable over 1920 x 1080 resolution due to broken/non-existent UI scaling. I'm surprised that a company that caters to visual designers hasn't updated their software to work with modern hi-def screens yet.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Unicorn Vomit posted:

Got a Dell XPS 15 and it's awesome.... except it makes a barely audible high pitched noise every time I do something system intensive, I think it's a fan going haywire. Hope it's fixable without an RMA.

That's not a fan it's power circuitry.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious

DNova posted:

That's not a fan it's power circuitry.

Great. Is this an unintended feature? It's the kind of noise that will slowly drive a person insane.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

internet inc posted:

Thinkpad Docking stations can lock onto the laptop with a key and the dock can also accept a laptop lock. So you would connect the lock to the dock then connect the dock to the laptop. I have a ThinkPad Ultra Dock for work which is connected to two external monitors and it works great with my T440p.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Unicorn Vomit posted:

Great. Is this an unintended feature? It's the kind of noise that will slowly drive a person insane.

It's very common. I have had quiet a few machines do it.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Unicorn Vomit posted:

I've heard it on many machines over the years, most notable on laptops with quiet fans as you can really tune in to it.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Calidus posted:

Thinkpad Docking stations can lock onto the laptop with a key and the dock can also accept a laptop lock. So you would connect the lock to the dock then connect the dock to the laptop. I have a ThinkPad Ultra Dock for work which is connected to two external monitors and it works great with my T440p.

Okay, the ultra dock looks like it still has the key-based lock. The Basic dock doesn't seem to have it though, based on pictures. So... pick the right one.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The docks that came with our new HP 820 G1s don't lock, but they do have a slot a lock can fit into (extra cost option)

You need to think about what you are trying to achieve though - those docks often lock via some fairly flimsy tabs so if someone isn't worried about damaging the laptop (or the dock) then it can be removed with brute force. If it is security you want it is probably better to get a lock that goes directly into the slot on the laptop (these are usually fairly sturdy)

k-uno
Jun 20, 2004

Unicorn Vomit posted:

If you are buying a high resolution laptop for Adobe products - DON'T DO IT. Their programs are completely unusable over 1920 x 1080 resolution due to broken/non-existent UI scaling. I'm surprised that a company that caters to visual designers hasn't updated their software to work with modern hi-def screens yet.

It's an electrical issue (usually referred to as coil whine) that to my understanding occurs because of a stray vibrational resonance between the mechanical oscillation frequency of some piece of the computer and one of the harmonics generated by a high frequency electrical signal. The resonance condition explains why you hear it when the system is in some power states and not in others-- I had a Dell Inspiron a few years ago with a Core 2 Duo that would whine in exactly the way you described whenever the CPU was idling and throttled down to its minimum speed, but not under load, leaving me with the ugly choice of dealing with the noise or turning off speedstep and having the battery life go to poo poo. I usually listen to music while I work anyway, so it wasn't too big of a deal, and it was quiet enough that I wouldn't hear it over any sound coming from the speakers. My understanding is that it's probably not fixable without an RMA. It's a problem that can happen to any laptop and ensuring that it doesn't requires a lot of careful and tedious refinement when the computer is being designed; some manufacturers are just more careful than others, I guess.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
There's an interesting picture of the upcoming new Thinkpad Helix here: http://liliputing.com/2014/08/lenovo-thinkpad-helix-2-ideatab-s8-leaked-ahead-ifa.html

There are also people saying on internet forums that the word is that physical trackpoint buttons will make a comeback in Broadwell.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think someone here bought a Helix when it first came out

That doesn't look like a bad machine but at the same time the market seems to have rejected the "Tablet with detachable keyboard+extrabattery" product segment. Maybe I'm mistaken but nobody's mentioned buying one of those types of machines in months in this thread

The Yoga/Yoga 2 Pro seem to have proven that there's a better "compromise model" out there.

Pretty excited to hear about physical buttons coming back. I'm starting to eyeball replacements for my x230 and based on the trackpad was looking elsewhere, like a Macbook Air or Chromebook, but I'd buy another Thinkpad if it had a proper mousepad+buttons...

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 3, 2014

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Hadlock posted:

I think someone here bought a Helix when it first came out

That doesn't look like a bad machine but at the same time the market seems to have rejected the "Tablet with detachable keyboard+extrabattery" product segment. Maybe I'm mistaken but nobody's mentioned buying one of those types of machines in months in this thread

That was me. I think the interesting part of that link is the rendering, with discrete buttons.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Hadlock posted:

Detachables like the Asus T100 or the Surface Pro do get recommendations in the Win8 Tablets thread. I think it's just that anyone looking for a detachable would hit the tablets thread first, and anyone looking for a laptop generally has a usage scenario where a tablet isn't ideal anyways (e.g. full gaming, or lower price points).

Isko
May 20, 2008
Well I just got my new Thinkpad T440s and I'm quite happy with it so far. I guess I lucked out and didn't get the crappy screen. I was pretty much planning on replacing the screen myself if that happened. In case anyone didn't know, the T440s originally shipped with an AUO brand screen for the IPS choice which lots of people liked but then later on started shipping an LG brand screen that a lot of people thought was a lot worse. Weirdly my screen is actually listed as Lenovo even though it has the same model number as the AUO brand. The screen is good though. Not sure if this means they have phased out the crappy screens finally but just wanted to share my experience.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I'm thinking about picking up a new laptop for the last couple semesters of my CS degree; normally I've been doing coding/other coursework at home or in the labs on campus but increasingly I'd like to do it on the go so I'm not stuck for hours in the same two places. Reading the OP has convinced me to go with a Thinkpad but since that post was made over a year ago, is there anything pertinent to picking up one of those Thinkpad models I should know about? Any new clear favorites? The Yoga 13 seems to be somewhat hard to find locally (in BC, Canada, NCIX doesn't seem to carry it or else I'm just missing it).

I'd appreciate some advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

What would be the best, most reliable, place to get a replacement charger for my T420? The wire near the plug into the laptop fails. I've gone through two of this style OEM Lenovo chargers and I'd rather not spend $55 on a new one.

Most of the options on eBay and Amazon look shady.