Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nevvy Z posted:

How much online presence is there at this point? I am assuming DS1 is pretty dead online so I haven't picked it up. I'm waiting for a sale on this one and I hope by the time I pick it up there will still be people to pvp.

For ds2? Plenty! I mean it's not like you can get a co-op at any given boss whenever you want, but there's always oodles of red and dragon summon signs on the iron keep bridge, and jeez the other night I got invaded four times in a row by Karen when I was just trying to forge my way past all the ogres in Aldias keep :[

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

verybad posted:

I think you're overvaluing 100% phys block. Silverblack has pretty solid resists all around.

I'm not very reliant on shields anyway, given that a correctly executed dodge costs you nothing except a minimal amount of stamina, no matter how heavy of an attack you've negated. I don't feel like I'm overvaluing 100% physical block at all, if I'm not getting >90% phys block then it's an objective downgrade from how I usually play.

The Silverblack shield would be good to have if you're planning on blocking your way through Amana, but I don't see much practical use for it otherwise.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

The best caped armour is the Throne Defender's since it not only has a cape, but also two vestment-like cloths hanging from the front. Fashion Souls!

Whoah, your character suffers from heavy myopia. I'm so sorry :smith:

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Why are my weapons broken in no time flat? I barely ever hit the wall yet my poo poo seems to break halfway through a level. I got a warning last night and the weapon broke on the next hit. Is there a fix for this nonsense?

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

Why are my weapons broken in no time flat? I barely ever hit the wall yet my poo poo seems to break halfway through a level. I got a warning last night and the weapon broke on the next hit. Is there a fix for this nonsense?

Stop attacking on the final blow. Every time you kill a dude and then swing your weapon through him again before he hits the ground, it will tear through your durability.

edit: walls can get you a little but the number one weapon killer is corpses, even if they haven't hit the ground yet.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Continuing my playthrough of the second DLC

http://www.hitbox.tv/angrymog

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Leadthumb posted:

Stop attacking on the final blow. Every time you kill a dude and then swing your weapon through him again before he hits the ground, it will tear through your durability.

edit: walls can get you a little but the number one weapon killer is corpses, even if they haven't hit the ground yet.

I can't stop attacking on the final blow all the time, I'm often fighting 2+ enemies so combat isn't always orderly and neat. Why does hitting a corpse tank my weapon durability? This sounds like some buggy poo poo. Is there seriously no fix?

I do not remember this happening on the console version at all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's tied to your FPS. The PC version is locked to 60, console is at 30.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Creighton's set is cool but none of it goes with anything else.
The mask goes with drat near everything.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's tied to your FPS. The PC version is locked to 60, console is at 30.

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but can't the framerate be unlocked?

The Gunslinger posted:

I can't stop attacking on the final blow all the time, I'm often fighting 2+ enemies so combat isn't always orderly and neat. Why does hitting a corpse tank my weapon durability? This sounds like some buggy poo poo. Is there seriously no fix?

I do not remember this happening on the console version at all.

What I found is that mashing the attack button is almost always going to result in an extra swing through a falling enemy. Try and get a feel for the timing of swings and be patient and orderly with when you hit the attack button. It's definitely hard to do when you're in a tense situation and are just swinging like crazy cause holy poo poo I'm gonna die, but it's somewhat easier to do once you get the hang of an enemy.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I can't believe this is actually a thing, loving From PC ports.

I think I'll just risk a VAC ban and load up CheatEngine, I'm not going to sit around worrying about durability to that extent. I had one weapon last night that went from something like 33 to 20 durability in a few enemies.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Gunslinger posted:

I can't believe this is actually a thing, loving From PC ports.

I think I'll just risk a VAC ban and load up CheatEngine, I'm not going to sit around worrying about durability to that extent. I had one weapon last night that went from something like 33 to 20 durability in a few enemies.

There's no risk anymore, they stopped banning entirely for DS2.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

SpruceZeus posted:

I'm looking for some sweet looking medium armor for my new cleric. I've already used the Lllewellyn and Archdrake armor a bunch on various characters, though, and I was hoping to find something a bit more ragged looking anyway, bit more 'wandering pilgrim' without just being straight up cloth armor. Doing a melee faith build so I'd like some poise at least.

I'm not sure if it's fashion-y enough (or cloth-y enough) but I use a set comprised of Saint's Hood for the nice as heck extra spellcast, Alva chest + legs for being good looking and efficiently weighted (also the Saint's Hood tucks nicely into the chest), and Havel's Gauntlets to fill in the rest of the poise. The gauntlets give you ridiculous looking forearms - using Looking Glass Gauntlets and some marginally higher poise legs would probably achieve a better looking version - but it has a nice red-cloth and metal motif. Most importantly, with at least 20 of both endurance and adaptability, meets or exceeds the 61 poise "breakpoint" (though I suppose this is pretty much irrelevant in PvP due to the current state of the stone ring).

Ends up looking something like this:

On a related note, the Red Rust Scimitar is my favorite infusion weapon in the game. It has somewhat high stat requirements and poor physical scaling, but what makes it shine is the high base damage for its weapon type (270 or 189 + 189 infused). The 25 poise damage is higher than most comparatively fast weapons. The reach on it feels pretty long, and the moveset is the same as the falchion (which I don't use because the bleed messes up infusions). It's flexible enough and allows you to really lay into someone when you catch them out of a roll. I used to think of the claymore as my go-to base-requirements infusion weapon due to its versatility, but this this does pretty close damage at a much higher speed and I don't find myself missing the claymore's moveset.

Similarly, I've been using a magic infused Foot Soldier Sword on my sorcerer and maintaining only base requirements for it. Its got very low durability, mediocre base damage (still hurts people well enough with CMW applied), and bad physical scaling (doesn't matter here). However, the minuscule stat requirements along with the moveset which is imo the best in the game and the tiny stamina consumption makes it a really great PvP side arm for a character that mostly casts spells. It also does 25 poise damage, which is on par with Drakekeeper's Sword. I think the Ashen Warrior Sword inherited this moveset as well, though it occupies a different niche. I'm holding out for the final DLC including a straight sword with the same moveset but without the low scaling/durability of Foot Soldier or inherent bleed of Ashen Warrior so we can have the proper successor to the Balder Side Sword.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Prude posted:

Similarly, I've been using a magic infused Foot Soldier Sword on my sorcerer and maintaining only base requirements for it. Its got very low durability, mediocre base damage (still hurts people well enough with CMW applied), and bad physical scaling (doesn't matter here). However, the minuscule stat requirements along with the moveset which is imo the best in the game and the tiny stamina consumption makes it a really great PvP side arm for a character that mostly casts spells.

You might want to check out the Enchanted infusion, you could be the first person in the world to actually benefit from it.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's not true I have a caster dude who has an enchanted longsword for when I don't want to waste spell uses, it works pretty well with that other magic weapon buff spell.

(Enchanted means it scales with int, right?)

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
good Fashion set that is also v powerful:

- iron mask (heide)
- alva armor
- rogue gauntlets
- heavy boots
- sun sword
- target shield

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
and don't just tkae my word for it, take my pic for it!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tae posted:

The Drangelic Sword is meh considering you have access to the Bastard and Claymore much sooner and they have about the same movesets and advantages except with much earlier stat requirements/upgrade off Titanite.

You don't get the Claymore until you find Vengarl's head, which is quite a bit after FoFG...

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Inspector_666 posted:

You don't get the Claymore until you find Vengarl's head, which is quite a bit after FoFG...

however, you can get the Claymore without fighting a single boss, whereas you have to fight 2 to get the Donglake Sword

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Prude posted:

On a related note, the Red Rust Scimitar is my favorite infusion weapon in the game. It has somewhat high stat requirements and poor physical scaling, but what makes it shine is the high base damage for its weapon type (270 or 189 + 189 infused). The 25 poise damage is higher than most comparatively fast weapons. The reach on it feels pretty long, and the moveset is the same as the falchion (which I don't use because the bleed messes up infusions). It's flexible enough and allows you to really lay into someone when you catch them out of a roll. I used to think of the claymore as my go-to base-requirements infusion weapon due to its versatility, but this this does pretty close damage at a much higher speed and I don't find myself missing the claymore's moveset.

The Warped Sword loses 20 base damage (and has even worse scaling) and higher stat reqs in exchange for being lighter and having less stamina cost and 130 counter damage. I'd argue that the counter damage is enough by itself to make it the better choice. It's definitely worth trying out anyway.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

THE PENETRATOR posted:

however, you can get the Claymore without fighting a single boss, whereas you have to fight 2 to get the Donglake Sword

You need to beat a boss to get a Branch to get in there, though.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Inspector_666 posted:

You need to beat a boss to get a Branch to get in there, though.

I think if you can make the first drop in the pit you can make the rest but thinking on it, 13500 souls is a lot to get without killing a boss, in NG.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

THE PENETRATOR posted:

I think if you can make the first drop in the pit you can make the rest but thinking on it, 13500 souls is a lot to get without killing a boss, in NG.

Does killing the Pursuer early count?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Either way it's faster to kill the Pursuer and Last Giant than it is to go through that poo poo, even if you can survive the falls/have enough healing items (you won't at first) to get to the Gutter.

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Praseodymi posted:

You might want to check out the Enchanted infusion, you could be the first person in the world to actually benefit from it.

As long as he's putting CMW on it, Magic is still the best choice for infusion. If he weren't running any buffs, then maybe but still probably not. A shame Enchanted sucks so badly now.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It's pretty academic anyways since if you're optimizing equipment that heavily you're probably beelining to the Iron Keep bridge for pvp and you can get the branches from Harvest Valley.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You can get the stats required for the Drangleic Sword easily by the time you're done with the forest alone.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is there a set of armor that looks sort of like the Alonne knight armor from the Iron Keep? I really like how plain and unadorned it is, but every time I notice those weird little things that stick off my thighs it makes me go ughhhhh.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I just beat the DLC and drangleic sword is still my main weapon :v:

Overall it was good, but I think I liked the first DLC more. The bossfights were really easy for my tank character, with the exception of MAGICAL SMELTER DEMON who kicked my poo poo in on the first try, but then fell real easy once I swapped to appropriate gear.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Man i went from going through the first DLC in an afternoon without breaking a sweat to getting stuck on every Boss in the second for days. They're no problem when i help as sunbro but i've actually exhausted the Sir Alonne memory spawns because i'm worse at rushing through them than at the Blue Smelter cave run-up.

On the plus side i've discovered the strong "left" attack when two handing the Smelter Hammer and it's now my favorite thing in the game. And its regular strong attack is basically Dark Souls 1's zweihander "sit the gently caress down" attack when it comes to poise breaking. :allears:

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

SHISHKABOB posted:

Is there a set of armor that looks sort of like the Alonne knight armor from the Iron Keep? I really like how plain and unadorned it is, but every time I notice those weird little things that stick off my thighs it makes me go ughhhhh.

mad warrior chest could be what you want.
otherwise, Steel

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So I beat Fume Knight, and holyfuck was this DLC rough for my fat armor+giant shield+ultra greatsword run.
I started it on my agily, rolly dude and seems this DLC really punishes turtleing.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

Praseodymi posted:

Ah, I did try enchanted on the foot soldier sword once when I was looking for a light, low stat physical damage backup for particularly magic-immune enemies. The problem was, its got too low of durability to lean on as a primary weapon in heavily resistant areas, I already had the dagger to use for backstabbing in PvE (and resistances weren't often a problem in PvE and never in PvP anyhow), and even though enchanted IS for once better than uninfused in this case, it still is only a matter of a few damage despite the sword's terrible phys scaling (I wish I kept the exact numbers saved). I eventually just kept on with whatever weapon I was using before. Then I tried the magic version of the FSS when I got the the level I intended to cap at, much preferred that anyhow, and redistributed my spare physical stats in the process. It's got enough damage in conjunction with CMW to be a threat, and that moveset is the perfect compliment to magic spamming. One of these days I'll go back and farm up two more to have a second magic one in reserve and an enchanted one just in case the urge strikes me.

RabidWeasel posted:

The Warped Sword loses 20 base damage (and has even worse scaling) and higher stat reqs in exchange for being lighter and having less stamina cost and 130 counter damage. I'd argue that the counter damage is enough by itself to make it the better choice. It's definitely worth trying out anyway.

I've considered it, but I already use the warped sword as one of the weapons I keep in my dex character's arsenal and I like to diversify the weapons I use. The dex requirements on the warped sword don't really fit into my faith character's min/max'd stat spread either. Also the Red Rust just looks cooler. The counter damage is a major consideration, but whenever I used a curved sword I find a lot of the time I'm not getting counters anyways, but rather catching people just as they exit a roll, and I find curved swords are good for comboing even so, so only the first hit will generally receive the bonus since the dude will be locked up for a solid 3-4 hits in a row.

e:

Genocyber posted:

Nope. A goon did some testing and found that Raw is almost always better than Enchanted even with 99 Int.

If I recall correctly, an enchanted FSS was reading at around ~+34 bonus damage with minimum stats to equip and 50 int, roughly equal to the raw stats the wiki lists, but I could also be recalling wrong. In any case, I'd say raw is better since it'll work even if you don't essentially max out your int. Also, not sure if enchanted would incur the usual penalties with RoB and Flynns that elemental weapons do, which could potentially make raw even better.

Prude fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 3, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Praseodymi posted:

Nope. A goon did some testing and found that Raw is almost always better than Enchanted even with 99 Int.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Genocyber posted:

What about 99 in all stats

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

THE PENETRATOR posted:

We're now at the point of optimizing where this becomes a dumb argument. The Drangleic sword is a great early game weapon because you get it early in the game unless you know better and want do things out of order. In that case, you can get better stuff, but it seems like a disingenuous argument.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Might as well just go for the fire longsword tbh, easy to get, 0 boss requirements, first available weapon outside of eandom drops, and it'll carry you through the early game

E. Oops, morning star and dagger, but gently caress em

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

What about 99 in all stats

Are you thinking of mundane or something? Dunno why having 99 in everything would help enchanted.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The mace is literally the best weapon for most of the vanilla game. It's strike, you get it very early or start with it, and it has the perfect poise damage to handle most enemies that are vulnerable to poise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Manatee Cannon posted:

Are you thinking of mundane or something? Dunno why having 99 in everything would help enchanted.

Int/dex/str, i mean

Last i checked it shunted everything to D/E and added a B or whatever in int, instead of replacing