Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

but you can already block brush war from italy :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

StashAugustine posted:

but you can already block brush war from italy :psyduck:

They should just rename NATO to Operation Gladio

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
Haven't played the 'gric in ages. Maybe I can get the fiancee to try it again tonight.

I want to try dominant species and pandemic

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
Last night I played a 7 player game of Cosmic Encounter that lasted 5 hours. At least an hour and a half of which was Munchkin-esque "dogpile the guy about to win" bullshit.

The previous game I played (which was the first time for me) ended with a 6-way tie against the guy who owns it.

What a loving shitpile.

I'm just hoping I can convince at least a few people to play something else next time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Seven??

Good lord I would literally flat out say "no way, you guys go ahead and play, I refuse to play cosmic more than 4 players it takes way too long" and pray they never try to get you to play it 4 player

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the only time i had actual fun with that game was where some cool old guy was playing and he was the weird schizophrenic aliens or whatever so he would constantly change up what he was doing and who he was helping and why like every turn.

unfortunately every other time i played that he wasn't around

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

ImpactVector posted:

Last night I played a 7 player game of Cosmic Encounter that lasted 5 hours. At least an hour and a half of which was Munchkin-esque "dogpile the guy about to win" bullshit.

The previous game I played (which was the first time for me) ended with a 6-way tie against the guy who owns it.

What a loving shitpile.

I'm just hoping I can convince at least a few people to play something else next time.

5 Hours??? I've played a number of six player games of CE and we've never gone over 3 hours. Nobody wanted to go in for a team victory at that point? I couldn't imagine a game of Cosmic Encounter going on that long without someone figuring out a way to snag a win. Maybe I could see a five hour game happening if both the Filth and the Shadow were at the table, and everyone had their buttholes clenched up for a solo win. I'm actually going to be playing a seven or eight player game of CE tonight, so maybe I will be proven wrong, we shall see!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The Silver Snail posted:

5 Hours??? I've played a number of six player games of CE and we've never gone over 3 hours. Nobody wanted to go in for a team victory at that point? I couldn't imagine a game of Cosmic Encounter going on that long without someone figuring out a way to snag a win. Maybe I could see a five hour game happening if both the Filth and the Shadow were at the table, and everyone had their buttholes clenched up for a solo win. I'm actually going to be playing a seven or eight player game of CE tonight, so maybe I will be proven wrong, we shall see!
if you prove him right or wrong, you will be playing a bad game regardless, god bless

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

The Silver Snail posted:

Like I said, I've only played twice, but I think the main issues (other than the basic premise of the game being glorified Munchkin) were that Patriot was handing off strong cards to the defender on the game winning points and we had a Parasite at the table, so everyone was trying to get points while preventing him from getting any. Plus we played with satellites and techs, so there was a bunch of other stuff going on. And with everyone going all in on defense so often, most people ended up with massive hands full of "gently caress you" cards.

And yeah, several people were trying to get a solo win after our gonzo 6-way tie the previous game. I ended up sharing victory with a negotiated planet swap at the end (luckily I had a zap for the quash that came out and no one else could counter).

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Tekopo posted:

if you prove him right or wrong, you will be playing a bad game regardless, god bless

No, I have fun when I play Cosmic Encounter. I can't say that the design is perfect, but there's no other game in my collection that allows for as much bluffing, threatening, trickery and wheedling as cosmic encounter. I find it to be more a game about what you know about the other players, and what they don't know about you more than it is a game about what you have in your hand. I wish people would stop calling Cosmic Encounter a bad game, "bad" implies that there's no fun to be had there. Sometimes I suspect that the people who have bad experiences with CE are playing it with groups that attempt to play it like its some euro cerebral dick fight, when in actuality CE is much better when its played like this.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

The Silver Snail posted:

I wish people would stop calling Cosmic Encounter a bad game, "bad" implies that there's no fun to be had there.

that isn't what bad means

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

hahaha jesus christ you got me, thats a really good attempt at a tg thread post :golfclap:

if you are serious, i ask you this: can people derive enjoyment from what is considered a 'bad' film?

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Tekopo posted:

hahaha jesus christ you got me, thats a really good attempt at a tg thread post :golfclap:

if you are serious, i ask you this: can people derive enjoyment from what is considered a 'bad' film?

Of course. But there are "bad movies," that are fun to joke around about with friends, and there are legitimately terrible boring movies. Which term were you implying when you said cosmic encounter was bad?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

usually when someone says a board game is bad they mean it's mechanically bad for whatever reason. part of liking things is sometimes accepting that poo poo you enjoy is bad. like, i enjoy elder sign enough to get an expansion for it and it's easy to get my friends into, but i won't deny that half the time you'll lose because the game feels like it.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

The Silver Snail posted:

Of course. But there are "bad movies," that are fun to joke around about with friends, and there are legitimately terrible boring movies. Which term were you implying when you said cosmic encounter was bad?

jesus christ when you serious post about having to classify exactly how bad a game is to justify playing it :frogout:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Silver Snail posted:

i find stefan feld games bad because they can be boring as hell

i find a lot of ameritrash games bad because they are badly constructed and can create crappy conditions for certain players

both can be considered fun by people, because people have different tastes, fun has nothing to do with a game being bad or not, which should be based on stuff like complexity, length, rule set, theme, how randomness is implemented etc etc

also please stop blaming groups for having bad experiences with games tia

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Fellis posted:

jesus christ when you serious post about having to classify exactly how bad a game is to justify playing it :frogout:

I don't think I was doing this. People can play whatever they want. Cosmic Encounter is just my favorite game though so I try to stick up for it. Maybe I am not good at it?

Tekopo posted:

both can be considered fun by people, because people have different tastes, fun has nothing to do with a game being bad or not, which should be based on stuff like complexity, length, rule set, theme, how randomness is implemented etc etc

Yes that's what I thought I was saying.
I guess I don't care whether anyone thinks Cosmic Encounter is bad or not. I just want everyone to have fun playing it.

Tekopo posted:

also please stop blaming groups for having bad experiences with games tia

Yeah ok.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The Silver Snail posted:

Yes that's what I thought I was saying.
I guess I don't care whether anyone thinks Cosmic Encounter is bad or not. I just want everyone to have fun playing it.
no one is telling you to do that

except me, stop playing bad games :smug:

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
stop using the f word in here plz

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Death to all funhavers.

Dec 26, 2012

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

never gets old

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
we have only 1 meme consisting of 2 pics but thats enough for now. the "fun" meme

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

The Silver Snail posted:

Cosmic Encounter is just my favorite game though so I try to stick up for it. Maybe I am not good at it?

Don't feel the need to stick up for bad games, just acknowledge they are a guilty pleasure and move on. Yes, you are not good at posting hth

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Is it fascism yet posted:

we have only 1 meme consisting of 2 pics but thats enough for now. the "fun" meme

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

baby steps, baby steps

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

we need one where king phillip IV destroys funhavers

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fellis posted:

we need one where king phillip IV destroys funhavers
he destroys them with his stare, it burns the soul of funhavers

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
i was in a contemporary theater thing last week and part of it was them saying parts of the catan rulebook in a really heavy, theatralic voice. it was very funny hearing "you can only build a settlement uf the 3 junctions next to it do not have a settlement on them, no matter who they belong to" on a stage, very political

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

Fellis posted:

Don't feel the need to stick up for bad games, just acknowledge they are a guilty pleasure and move on. Yes, you are not good at posting hth

Hey man I like to have fun you don't have to be mean about it just because you are not good at having fun.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Your favorite game is bad and you should feel bad

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Scyther posted:

Your favorite game is bad and you should feel bad

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
hey good thread, should I get into x wing miniatures? I played it once and it was fun but I'm scared of sinking even more money into another FFG collectible poo poo thing, does it remain fun when you're playin with non-scrubs or is there a bunch of meta poo poo where you gotta play certain ships or combos to be a true doom murderhead?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

hey good thread, should I get into x wing miniatures? I played it once and it was fun but I'm scared of sinking even more money into another FFG collectible poo poo thing, does it remain fun when you're playin with non-scrubs or is there a bunch of meta poo poo where you gotta play certain ships or combos to be a true doom murderhead?

PEW PEW

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
yeah it does have a shitload of dice, but what can I say? it's. just. fun.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Looking up strats and watching competitive X-Wing vids on Youtube actually kind of ruined my interest in the whole thing, although casual play is probably fine.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I played cosmic encounter for the first time and won twice on absolute bullshit. It seems like the natural progression of munchkin. I can't imagine getting it back on the table any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I basically won my one and only game of Cosmic by drawing the race that gains power based on how many ships are in the warp. It was trivial at the point as no matter what happened, my fleet was a big ball of death. Stupid game.

• Locked thread