Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

OmegaBR posted:

CHIKARA has a ton of loyal fans, clearly, but the hiatus definitely lost them some of those people. Take the Rudo Resurrection Kickstarter for example, and how it didn't even make $20,000 of the $50,000 goal.

Also the Rudo Resurrection game itself looked really bad and like the guys in charge had no idea what made brawling games, wrestling, or Chikara itself cool or unique or fun. And was also hideously outdated, and a really underwhelming thing to show off after literal years of silence on the project.

The weakening of the Chikara brand loyalty definitely didn't help, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

OmegaBR posted:

There's something I don't like about that. Seems like the attitude that Mr. McMahon takes sometimes, and it's part of the reason why he doesn't have a million network subscribers.

CHIKARA has a ton of loyal fans, clearly, but the hiatus definitely lost them some of those people. Take the Rudo Resurrection Kickstarter for example, and how it didn't even make $20,000 of the $50,000 goal.

King of Trios isn't Wrestlemania, and it's grown into a huge event specifically because of the wealth of talent each year, making an experience you can't really get otherwise. Seeing the usual suspects from the CHIKARA family isn't an awful thing, but it doesn't compare to the reputation KoT has built up.

That being said, we still have four teams left, and I'd expect at least another notable domestic team, be it a Team ROH or more veterans like Team WWF last year. If this is the year they have scale back, then so be it. Maybe they can afford Too Cool, eh?

Yeah, I would've said Chikara was my favorite promotion the last time they actually ran a KoT but I really haven't been following them after the return PPV. Part of it is my tastes have changed and I watch a lot more puro now, but their current roster isn't really doing it for me. This would be an opportune time to try to grab me back since my interest in WWE is flagging and NJPW has been on a break between tours, but this isn't doing it. I don't expect a BOLA level roster, but st least bring in some notable names I'd like to see work against your guys.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Chikara went the way of the WCW and blew their load after their biggest faction ever and didn't know how to keep going. It didn't help that the local indy darlings were all getting signed (Claudio, Danielson, Del Rey), their mid-card was getting signed away or moving to bigger promotions (Gargano moves on, Brodie Lee gets signed, the Young Bucks begin to get much more popular) and it leaves CHIKARA's roster close to what it was in the years before the BDK. A bunch of home-grown talent not many people had an investment in, with weird stories that were hard to follow unless you had the luxury of going to every single show.

Chikara got hid harder by the WWE signing talent than any other independent did because of their refusal to just use good talent to fill out a show.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Flameingblack posted:

Chikara got hid harder by the WWE signing talent than any other independent did because of their refusal to pay for good talent to fill out a show.

Quack has been notoriously cheap for years I'm kind of surprised it's taken this long to catch up to him

There are lots of talented guys out there and every other notable indie has done a good job of finding them and building them up.

oatgan fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 3, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

oatgan posted:

Quack has been notoriously cheap for years I'm kind of surprised it's taken this long to catch up to him

There are lots of talented guys out there and every other notable indie has done a good job of finding them and building them up.
King of Trios used to be where I could expect to see some weird dream match like Daisuke Sekimoto vs Michael Elgin but I don't think I'll even see two outside companies competing in King of Trios, much less a single dream match.

At least last event had Sendai Girls and Osaka Pro which were really fun to watch.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I wonder if calling Quack the "Frank Miller of wrestling promoters" would be an insult or a compliment to him.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Flameingblack posted:

King of Trios used to be where I could expect to see some weird dream match like Daisuke Sekimoto vs Michael Elgin but I don't think I'll even see two outside companies competing in King of Trios, much less a single dream match.

At least last event had Sendai Girls and Osaka Pro which were really fun to watch.

KoT 2012 made me want to see Tsubasa Kuragaki torture racking everybody, so I'll be grateful for that, but yeah, at this point KoT2k14 isn't looking too fantastic. I'm mostly using it as an excuse to hang out with all my east coast pals that didn't kick it with me at BOLA.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

2012 I seriously would have made the trip across the ocean for KoT if I'd had the cash. 2013 I happened to be in New York around this time of year and probably would have gone if it'd happened to fall on that weekend. 2014 I wouldn't bother to go even if I did happen to be nearby again. Apart from any roster issues who's to say I don't get ushered out halfway through the finals to further a storyline.

e: well not me specifically. I think.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

My Lovely Horse posted:

2012 I seriously would have made the trip across the ocean for KoT if I'd had the cash. 2013 I happened to be in New York around this time of year and probably would have gone if it'd happened to fall on that weekend. 2014 I wouldn't bother to go even if I did happen to be nearby again. Apart from any roster issues who's to say I don't get ushered out halfway through the finals to further a storyline.

e: well not me specifically. I think.

Depends on if Quack specifically said whether or not you are Chikara

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Lucky Team #13 is the Bloc Party of Mr. Azebaijan, The Proletariat Boar of Moldova, and Prakash Sabar.

I'm still expecting one more surprise team that'll get people talking, but at this point, I'm not expecting it to be foreigners. Unless they pull a major coup and get like, Del Rio and his cousin and father or something.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Bloc Party should count as international talent!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

OmegaBR posted:

Lucky Team #13 is the Bloc Party of Mr. Azebaijan, The Proletariat Boar of Moldova, and Prakash Sabar.

I'm still expecting one more surprise team that'll get people talking, but at this point, I'm not expecting it to be foreigners. Unless they pull a major coup and get like, Del Rio and his cousin and father or something.

Xtreme Force is obviously going to be one of the teams and probably the new graduates. Not expecting anything good or interesting next.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Team #14 is Jimmy Jacobs, Eddie Kingston and Volgar (the plague mask guy).

So I guess that means XTREME Force and either an Osirian Portal trio, the Greenhorn Militia (I hope not) or a special guest team.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Gavok posted:

Team #14 is Jimmy Jacobs, Eddie Kingston and Volgar (the plague mask guy).

So I guess that means XTREME Force and either an Osirian Portal trio, the Greenhorn Militia (I hope not) or a special guest team.

I really doubt there is any big name team or surprise left.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
Most disappointing Chikara tournament since what? The German TWGP? I'm not including YLCs because those are crapshoots.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Most disappointing Chikara tournament since what? The German TWGP? I'm not including YLCs because those are crapshoots.

This year's Tag World Grand Prix by far. Done over the course of three shows, spanning a couple months. Had a really sad roster where the only guest teams were two ROH guys I've never heard of and the Heart Throbs. Night 1 was the most dire Chikara/Wrestling Is show I can remember, ending with a quarter-finals match between Dev Corp and the Batiri. A decent match on paper that was instead a botchy brawl filled with Smashmaster constantly pulling up his pants because he was losing weight and his wardrobe hadn't caught up yet.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Gavok posted:

This year's Tag World Grand Prix by far. Done over the course of three shows, spanning a couple months. Had a really sad roster where the only guest teams were two ROH guys I've never heard of and the Heart Throbs. Night 1 was the most dire Chikara/Wrestling Is show I can remember, ending with a quarter-finals match between Dev Corp and the Batiri. A decent match on paper that was instead a botchy brawl filled with Smashmaster constantly pulling up his pants because he was losing weight and his wardrobe hadn't caught up yet.

I didn't even consider this year's because of it being Wrestling Is but good point.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

I was at that show, and to be honest, it wasn't that bad of a show. I thought Heart Throbs vs 3.0 was hilarious.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
it's really amazing how hype I was for KoT, with Deucalion and all that, and now how completely... unhype I am.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I didn't even know there was a TWGP this year, but I remember people who were unhappy with the 2013 lineup being told to keep in mind that it wasn't KoT, and that had the Young Bucks!

Granted, that was before the Bucks went to NJPW, but they were still top indie guys with more star power than anyone currently announced for this year's KoT.

Edit: Oh, for an actual Chikara question instead of just bitching, what happened to the face Eastern Euro team with the frog and Robert Evans as the tree man? Their schtick was fun at least.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 5, 2014

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Thauros posted:

I didn't even know there was a TWGP this year, but I remember people who were unhappy with the 2013 lineup being told to keep in mind that it wasn't KoT, and that had the Young Bucks!

Granted, that was before the Bucks went to NJPW, but they were still top indie guys with more star power than anyone currently announced for this year's KoT.

To be fair, it was done at Wrestling is Fun and not Chikara, so it's easy to have it pass you by.

quote:

Edit: Oh, for an actual Chikara question instead of just bitching, what happened to the face Eastern Euro team with the frog and Robert Evans as the tree man? Their schtick was fun at least.

They had the Lithuanian Snow Troll join their team and became known as the Baltic Siege. They had a lengthy feud with the Polar Baron's Bloc Party, which was made up of the Proletariat Boar of Moldova, Mr. Azerbaijan and the Brown Morning of Belarus. Estonian Thunderfrog ended Brown Morning's career by hitting him with his hammer off the top rope and he was replaced by Prakash Sabar (also known as X-Pakistan). During the big Chikara/Flood feud, Thunderfrog did the top rope hammer thing on Tursas, effectively killing him.

The next night, they did an elimination flag match of Baltic Siege vs. Bloc Party. Thunderfrog was the sole survivor, but then Deucalion showed up and killed him with his chokeslam/backbreaker move (and I mean "killed" in the sense that as far as kayfabe goes, he is literally dead). At the following show, he did the same to Latvian Proud Oak. Snow Troll begged for his life and Deucalion ended up chaining him up and leading him around like a pet.

From what I understand, Thunderfrog needed surgery and this was how they were writing him off. A YouTube video showed that someone unknown has been able to lift his hammer in his absence.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
Kobald also needed some surgery which explains why he was killed off too. I imagine Tursas was only coming back for a short term run anyway, so he was easy to kill off. I think DeviAnt was JFDC or someone else, so that would explain his exit as well since he's full time on the CHIKARA roster now.

If CHIKARA really had some balls, they'd kill off someone like UltraMantis or Fire Ant.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

Gavok posted:

From what I understand, Thunderfrog needed surgery and this was how they were writing him off. A YouTube video showed that someone unknown has been able to lift his hammer in his absence.

Oh good gravy please let it be Hydra.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DM Punk posted:

If CHIKARA really had some balls, they'd kill off someone like UltraMantis or Fire Ant.

If it means "Freshly Squeezed" Orange Cassidy as Grand Champion, I'm all for it.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

DM Punk posted:

Please no, they've already ruined The Colony enough by making them not mean anything in the grand scheme of things.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

They could only kill Mantis if Dr. Cube found a way to resurrect him down the line. They could probably kill off Solider or another vet ready to take their leave.

Team #15 will be announced on youtube tomorrow. I'll still hold out hope #16 will be hype, but it's not like I'm scrambling to make travel plans to Easton this year. I would still go in a heartbeat if it was more convenient, but crossing nearly 500 miles to see the usual suspects isn't a trip I can budget. Plus, unless I'm mistaken, there's no announced fan conclave this time, which is surprising since it's a big draw (and would help draw them in with a mostly in-house roster.)

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Sep 5, 2014

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
They haven't done anything with Soldier Ant and Delirious since the first show back, have they?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

OmegaBR posted:

They could only kill Mantis if Dr. Cube found a way to resurrect him down the line. They could probably kill off Solider or another vet ready to take their leave.

Team #15 will be announced on youtube tomorrow. I'll still hold out hope #16 will be hype, but it's not like I'm scrambling to make travel plans to Easton this year. I would still go in a heartbeat if it was more convenient, but crossing nearly 500 miles to see the usual suspects isn't a trip I can budget. Plus, unless I'm mistaken, there's no announced fan conclave this time, which is surprising since it's a big draw (and would help draw them in with a mostly in-house roster.)

On the King of Trios report last week, Bryce said trio #15 plus info about the fan conclave and potluck supper thing will be announced on this week's KoT report. Though it could just be "Here's the info about this year's fan conclave: there will be no fan conclave, good night"

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I haven't watched Chikara since the reboot so bear with me. Has Deucalion wrestled yet, and if so is he going to be his own team in KoT like some kind of jacked up Rugal Bernstein?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Solomonic posted:

I haven't watched Chikara since the reboot so bear with me. Has Deucalion wrestled yet, and if so is he going to be his own team in KoT like some kind of jacked up Rugal Bernstein?

He hasn't had a match yet, no. He's shown up four times to murder people (Kobald, deviANT, Thunderfrog, Proud Oak) and had one brief promo on an Event Center installment one time. I'm hoping Trios ends with him being a final boss battle against the winning team, much like Rugal Bernstein. I'd forgive everything if that happened. It would be too perfect.

Now that I think about it, Deucalion, Jacobs and Kingston are basically Shao Kahn, Shang Tsung and Goro.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Does anyone like Icarus? Like, at all?

My friends are casual wrestling fans but they love Chikara because of it's just fun and so much different from WWE. But even these friends can't find a reason to like Icarus. It makes the whole "rise of Chikara"/"I am Chikara" thing really hard to get behind because Icarus is just so loving bad.

Was there really nobody else they could have put in that role? Someone the crowd actually cared about? Ultramantis Black? One of The Colony? loving Dasher Hatfield for pete's sake? C'mon. Anyone would be better than Icarus.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I own a WORST IN THE WORLD shirt that I bought from Icarus himself. It's the only piece of chikara merch I own, aside from a plastic sports authority cup that Kodama put in a brown paper bag I gave him five dollars for.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Phenix Rising posted:

Does anyone like Icarus? Like, at all?

My friends are casual wrestling fans but they love Chikara because of it's just fun and so much different from WWE. But even these friends can't find a reason to like Icarus. It makes the whole "rise of Chikara"/"I am Chikara" thing really hard to get behind because Icarus is just so loving bad.

Was there really nobody else they could have put in that role? Someone the crowd actually cared about? Ultramantis Black? One of The Colony? loving Dasher Hatfield for pete's sake? C'mon. Anyone would be better than Icarus.

The whole idea was you take the wrestler the people hated the most and make him the unlikely hero. No one was more hated than Icarus in CHIKARA.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Trio #15 is indeed, the Colony: Xtreme Force.

One trio left. Still takin' bets it'll be notable.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

OmegaBR posted:

Trio #15 is indeed, the Colony: Xtreme Force.

One trio left. Still takin' bets it'll be notable.

I want Delirious, Soldier Ant, and Snow Troll to be the last trio. However, best guess is its Portal & Shyron.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DM Punk posted:

I want Delirious, Soldier Ant, and Snow Troll to be the last trio.

If it had to be an in-house team, I'd be okay with this one more than anyone else.

Here's who's left:

Chikara: Amasis, Ophidian, Juan Francisco de Coronado, Ashley Remington, Shynron, Chuck Taylor, Ice Cream Jr., El Hijo Del Ice Cream

Flood: Deucalion, Haack, Slaash, Jaka, Oleg the Usurper, Delirious, Soldier Ant, Lithuanian Snow Troll

Wrestling is Fun: Heidi Lovelace, Eric Corvis, Hype Rockwell, Race Jackson, Create-a-Wrestler, Argus, Kid Cyclone, Equinox III

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
They better be doing a tag team gauntlet match on Night 3.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I can't imagine why they wouldn't.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

The lack of a fan conclave thing boggles me a little bit. I get the possible budget issues in not having big names/foreign teams; but the conclave theoretically costs virtually nothing and definitely makes them lots of money.

Plus Daniels randomly showed up at the 2012 one just to hang out and shoot the poo poo. That was a neat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

GrimGypsy posted:

The lack of a fan conclave thing boggles me a little bit. I get the possible budget issues in not having big names/foreign teams; but the conclave theoretically costs virtually nothing and definitely makes them lots of money.

Plus Daniels randomly showed up at the 2012 one just to hang out and shoot the poo poo. That was a neat thing.

But there is a conclave.

One minor thing that kind of disappoints me is how they didn't do the internet fake-out stuff with the unannounced trios. That thing where if you type "kot_team_13.jpg" it would show a graphic for He-Man, Lion-O and Thundarr the Barbarian or something. Those were the best.

• Locked thread