Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

BizarroAzrael posted:

Edit: Say Ghostfire were reprinted, does the text "Ghostfire is colorless" apply when it's a card, or only when it's a spell? Could you reveal it as a red card?

From Gatherer:

quote:

5/1/2007 Ghostfire is colorless in all zones. Its damage comes from a colorless source.

It's never a red card, always colorless, in your hand, library, graveyard, wherever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

There's no reason to take or play an off-color morph unless some terrible disaster occurs. In morph sets you have infinite 3-drops anyway, it's always been 2-drop that are at a premium.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Eddie Whitson posted:

I feel like Abzan will probably be nuts post-rotation because it can play a lot of the good stuff from Theros block (Courser, Caryatid, Thoughtseize, removal, Elspeth, possibly Brimaz) plus whatever goodies that Khans brings it.

They also have a barely-usable mechanic. But if Heroic/Bestow is playable, the colours have access to the best heroic in white and the best bestow in black and green.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Some Numbers posted:

I love how salty people get about people taking them seriously on the internet in pure text with no body language or indications that they're not being serious.

I mean, its one thing to say "Mr. Burns can't see you winking over the phone" when he claims to quit his job and another to actually believe someone with hundreds of posts in a Magic: the Gathering thread is legitimately calling other people in said thread "nerds."

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I want to see the deck-thinning arguments intensify now that mono-red in modern can run 16 fetches and 4 mountains.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

They also have a barely-usable mechanic. But if Heroic/Bestow is playable, the colours have access to the best heroic in white and the best bestow in black and green.

Another of the best Bestow cards is in White. Nobody plays it, but Eidolon of Countless Battles does work.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Terrible Horse posted:

It has the additional rules text "Target player who is a student working at Quinzos can now play Modern."

Just finding a relying place to play modern seems like more of the challenge these days. FNM is pulling in 150+ yet modern brings in like 8 people.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

I want to see the deck-thinning arguments intensify now that mono-red in modern can run 16 fetches and 4 mountains.

If you really want to blow people up right after Khans comes out, unless there's some kind of super obviously world-beating strategy immediately apparent, I imagine its you'd want to run something like Rabble red since aggro is a pretty simple strategy to cook up when the meta hasn't been really established.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Their mechanic does not necessarily translate to how good the cards they print for that wedge are.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, its one thing to say "Mr. Burns can't see you winking over the phone" when he claims to quit his job and another to actually believe someone with hundreds of posts in a Magic: the Gathering thread is legitimately calling other people in said thread "nerds."

Oh you thought I was talking about that? I was referring to possibly tongue-in-cheek, but completely plausible stance of "sports are important, card games aren't."

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, its one thing to say "Mr. Burns can't see you winking over the phone" and another to actually believe someone with hundreds of posts in a Magic: the Gathering thread is legitimately calling other people nerds.

Self-loathing very often arises among people in a group like 'nerds,' I've found. Or the related desire to prove that even though you like X, you're not like those folks. I don't assume it's a troll or joke at all when someone says the equivalent of "well, we might nominally share an interest, but those folks are embarrassing me by doing it wrong."

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Terrible Horse posted:

It has the additional rules text "Target player who is a student working at Quinzos can now play Modern."

For a little while at least, until a possible new demand for modern staples causes already expensive cards to jump.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

That's different because sports are important and most importantly, not nerdy.

What???? Dude, lets be serious here, both Magic/Card/Board games and Sports are relatively pointless pass times that people spend a lot of time and energy discussing, caring about, and getting emotionally invested in. Sports happens to be more popular and be a pass time that more people have in common, most likely due to a combination of cultural inertia and low barrier to entry (its really easy to play basketball at a low level with friends, though it gets exponentially more difficult and demanding as you get better and better.......remind you of anything else?) especially when compared to the relative newness and high barrier to entry for a game like magic. Look I get people get excited because someone they have never met can make a ball go from one end of a field/court to the other well, but for me, its impossibly boring and pointless. For the majority of people, turning pieces of cardboard sideways must be their version of hell, but for people in this thread, and in that video, its obviously quite important.

I don't fault people for liking group ball moving exercises with points. And if its what makes someone happy, great.

The same should hold true for hobbies like magic.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 3, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Self-loathing very often arises among people in a group like 'nerds,' I've found. Or the related desire to prove that even though you like X, you're not like those folks. I don't assume it's a troll or joke at all when someone says the equivalent of "well, we might nominally share an interest, but those folks are embarrassing me by doing it wrong."

I guess the mostly lost point is that as a current MTG player I don't think fetchland reprints are a big enough deal to really be THAT excited. I guess I'm just an MTG wet blanket who isn't terribly excited by lands.

Terrible Horse posted:

The value of Modern isn't entirely tied up in fetchlands though, its tied up in a lot of cards (and this is true even considering the fact that I don't expect people at that reveal to necessarily understand in a few seconds the fact that reprinting fetchlands will invariably increase the prices of the other parts of the deck).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 3, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Jesus Christ, shut up about not getting each other's jokes or whatever.

Angry Grimace posted:

I guess the mostly lost point is that as a current MTG player I don't think fetchland reprints are a big enough deal to really be THAT excited. I guess I'm just an MTG wet blanket who isn't terribly excited by lands.

The value of Modern isn't entirely tied up in fetchlands though, its tied up in a lot of cards (and this is true even considering the fact that I don't expect people at that reveal to necessarily understand in a few seconds the fact that reprinting fetchlands will invariably increase the prices of the other parts of the deck).

Yeah, I remember everyone saying "yay I can get into modern now that they're reprinting shock-lands" and then realizing that things like Goyf, Bob, Clique, Noble Hierarch, Cryptic Command, etc. etc. were still prohibitively expensive.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Angry Grimace posted:

I know, but it's a big part of it. Goyf/Bob/Liliana are still insane, but with Cryptic getting a reprint, I might be able to play RWU be the time I retire.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Terrible Horse posted:

I know, but it's a big part of it. Goyf/Bob/Liliana are still insane, but with Cryptic getting a reprint, I might be able to play RWU be the time I retire.

I fully expect a spike on those cards plus Snapcaster Mage to occur very soon. Increasing demand to play into Modern with Fetchlands increases demand on every other card that ISN'T being reprinted.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Fingers McLongDong posted:

For a little while at least, until a possible new demand for modern staples causes already expensive cards to jump.

Hopefully MM2 is coming and hopefully it will bring with it reprints of Snapcaster Mage and Serum Visions as well as all the obvious things. Also it hopefully has a much larger print run than MMA.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

I fully expect a spike on those cards plus Snapcaster Mage to occur very soon. Increasing demand to play into Modern with Fetchlands increases demand on every other card that ISN'T being reprinted.
Yep, this always happens whenever a staple is reprinted and format interest spikes- it'll still be cheaper to play modern but not that much cheaper.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

sarmhan posted:

Yep, this always happens whenever a staple is reprinted and format interest spikes- it'll still be cheaper to play modern but not that much cheaper.

This is why I just bought into Snapcaster right now, even though I have nothing resembling a Modern deck. Even assuming Snapcaster Mage gets reprinted as a basic rare in MM2, its not going to significantly depress the price from where it is unless they print it into something Standard legal (which I doubt is happening since Snapcaster tends to warp every other instant and sorcery design around it).

Cernunnos posted:

Hopefully MM2 is coming and hopefully it will bring with it reprints of Snapcaster Mage and Serum Visions as well as all the obvious things. Also it hopefully has a much larger print run than MMA.

I don't think the print run size is going to affect the price as much as people think, simply because of the way WOTC releases their supplemental sets (e.g. time-limited and more expensive).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 3, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Terrible Horse posted:

Excuse me?

When is Cryptic Command getting Reprinted? I think I missed something.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Count Bleck posted:

Excuse me?

Everyone's assuming due to the changes in the charms (making them easier to understand), since Cryptic got the same treatment on Gatherer.

Doesn't confirm, but speculation ahoy~

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

En Fuego posted:

Everyone's assuming due to the changes in the charms (making them easier to understand), since Cryptic got the same treatment on Gatherer.

I think that just happened because of the new wedge charms coming out, but that's just my two cents.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

En Fuego posted:

I could see it in Louie, but a three-color symboled utility card would be a very weird reprint in Khans itself.

That said, I feel pretty confident that the Command cycle will show up again in standard.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Count Bleck posted:

Excuse me?

The only non-standard rare cards I have in my possession were from a faeries deck I played when it was standard.

4x Cryptic Command
4x vendilion clique
4x bitter blossom
4x Scion of Oona
4x Mistbind clique

I was really impressed with the goldmine of $$$ that somehow came out of that deck to now. I should probably sell my bitter blossoms pretty soon.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I seriously doubt they want cryptic in standard ever again as well. It'll assuredly get reprinted at some point but I would be shocked if it's ever in standard.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

En Fuego posted:

It could theoretically be reprinted in the upcoming Dual Deck, so who knows, it might just happen.

Edit:

Terrible Horse posted:

Oh, I assumed that bullet-point mockup was from the mono blue Teferi commander product.

Or it could be that too. I completely forgot we're getting single colored Commander products this year.

Jenx fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 3, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

sarmhan posted:

I seriously doubt they want cryptic in standard ever again as well. It'll assuredly get reprinted at some point but I would be shocked if it's ever in standard.

People said the same thing about Thoughtseize. I honestly think Cryptic is a very reprintable card, even in Standard.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Oh, I assumed that bullet-point mockup was from the mono blue Teferi commander product.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Doubt they'll reprint Cryptic Command seeing how it was reprinted in MM already.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Bonus posted:

Doubt they'll reprint Cryptic Command seeing how it was reprinted in MM already.
I'm not sure why that would make any difference.

CC's color-requirements make it a lot narrower in Standard than it is in Modern. I think people sometimes believe a Modern-playable card is unprintable in Standard without realizing how different the cards around it are in Modern vs. Standard, particularly the manabases.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Angry Grimace posted:

CC's color-requirements make it a lot narrower in Standard than it is in Modern. I think people sometimes believe a Modern-playable card is unprintable in Standard without realizing how different the cards around it are in Modern vs. Standard, particularly the manabases.

Yeah. A cards actual power level is all about context.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

I think the Commands being stupidly complicated cards is probably more of a barrier to standard reprintability than power level, even at rare. Also the fact that they probably wouldn't like to break up the cycle and 5 rare slots is a lot for a reprint in a Standard set.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

I think the Commands being stupidly complicated cards is probably more of a barrier to standard reprintability than power level, even at rare. Also the fact that they probably wouldn't like to break up the cycle and 5 rare slots is a lot for a reprint in a Standard set.

Well, they really like cycles and there's what, 100 rares in each set? Not to mention, if they're willing to reprint Morph into a set, I think complexity isn't quite the issue.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
When people say that the Commands are complicated, do they mean in terms of the possible permutations you can choose (which I understand, but isn't really a barrier to reprinting any more than any other card with a high skill ceiling) or in terms of how the card, itself, mechanically functions?

Because in the latter case, the Commands are hardly significantly more complicated than any of the charms, or any other modal spell. The world doesn't suddenly descend into madness because now you choose two out of four rather than one out of three.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

Yeah. A cards actual power level is all about context.

A perfect example being that Deathrite Shaman was powerful enough to get banned in modern, yet has seen very little play the entire time it's been in Standard. In a Format with fetches and other grave enablers it's pretty nuts, but standard possesses none of the things that make that card broken.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Angry Grimace posted:

Well, they really like cycles and there's what, 100 rares in each set? Not to mention, if they're willing to reprint Morph into a set, I think complexity isn't quite the issue.

Large sets have 53 rares.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The cards I think are really un-reprintable are cards that are limited to very specific settings or warp set design around them.

Tarmogoyf is a card I think they'd have a tough time reprinting (in standard) simply because while its *possible* to craft a standard environment in which Tarmogoyf is routinely little more than a 3/4 or less, they'd have to limit design of every set in consideration of "how does this affect Tarmogoyf decks?" Dark Confidant has a similar problem.

Vendilion Clique is a card that would be hard to reprint since canonically, the Vendilion Clique is dead and specifically limited to a particular place. I don't actually think Clique is too overpowered for Standard either, but they'd have to reprint it in M16 or something for it to ever really come back.

Liliana of the Veil in a vacuum isn't that way (in my opinion), but I can see why they don't want her slotting into MBD right now.

Nibble posted:

Large sets have 53 rares.

My math was only off by a very small amount (relative to the number of numbers that exist).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 3, 2014

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

JerryLee posted:

When people say that the Commands are complicated, do they mean in terms of the possible permutations you can choose (which I understand, but isn't really a barrier to reprinting any more than any other card with a high skill ceiling) or in terms of how the card, itself, mechanically functions?

Because in the latter case, the Commands are hardly significantly more complicated than any of the charms, or any other modal spell. The world doesn't suddenly descend into madness because now you choose two out of four rather than one out of three.

They are significantly more complicated than any charm. A charm has three possible combinations, a Command has six. I'm not saying they couldn't be reprinted in a standard (and I certainly hope they do), but they are a lot more confusing than any charm. The card mechanically isn't much harder, but you are forgetting how much information you are able to shortcut when dealing with magic cards due to familiarity, and new players can't do that. When you add the possible permutations on top of the already high mechanical complexity of modal cards it makes it infinitely more complex than it would seem to you, an experienced player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Madmarker posted:

They are significantly more complicated than any charm. A charm has three possible combinations, a Command has six. I'm not saying they couldn't be reprinted in a standard (and I certainly hope they do), but they are a lot more confusing than any charm. The card mechanically isn't much harder, but you are forgetting how much information you are able to shortcut when dealing with magic cards due to familiarity, and new players can't do that. When you add the possible permutations on top of the already high mechanical complexity of modal cards it makes it infinitely more complex than it would seem to you, an experienced player.

My personal experience with teaching new players is that text on the card in general is confusing to them. I mean, the Charms are uncommons and the Commands are rares. I don't think its a tremendous issue.

• Locked thread