Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Right, but there's a difference between knowing some information is inaccurate (this is inventory type poo poo), editing it and letting people know, and launching into a rant about people not doing their jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Casull posted:

I swear I vaguely remember you posting about this as well way back then. Jesus Christ has it already been 18 months since then?
Am I so memorable? :viggo:

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
So apparently a "backup admin" at a site I consult for was shitcanned for not doing his one job, ensuring backups ran, for the past three months. This was discovered when a restore request was unable to be fulfilled.

What is amazing to me is the lack of a management/auditing structure that wouldn't have seen this earlier.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Demonachizer posted:

So apparently a "backup admin" at a site I consult for was shitcanned for not doing his one job, ensuring backups ran, for the past three months. This was discovered when a restore request was unable to be fulfilled.

What is amazing to me is the lack of a management/auditing structure that wouldn't have seen this earlier.

What amazes me that there is jobs where all you do is backups. 2 jobs ago I worked with someone who had been doing it for more than a decade.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sickening posted:

What amazes me that there is jobs where all you do is backups. 2 jobs ago I worked with someone who had been doing it for more than a decade.

I could totally get behind these jobs. I'll take 10 of them and 10 salary's please.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Sickening posted:

Years ago when I was stuck on graveyard shift at a call center my only duty was to start the backup and flip the tape once a night. That was pretty much it. About three months into it they bought a shoulder-slung vacuum and told me to clean the 400 cubicles even though there was a housekeeping team for that. It was one of the rare times in my life where I told an employer "No, I will not do that."

It didn't end well.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

Years ago when I was stuck on graveyard shift at a call center my only duty was to start the backup and flip the tape once a night. That was pretty much it. About three months into it they bought a shoulder-slung vacuum and told me to clean the 400 cubicles even though there was a housekeeping team for that. It was one of the rare times in my life where I told an employer "No, I will not do that."

It didn't end well.

I don't know if I could give a reply without laughing if someone came to me with something like that.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Sickening posted:

Backups and integrity of backups are of such vital importance to any organisation worth anything. It is no surprise then that they task someone with only the one important job of ensuring they are working and testing them etc. Sadly without the right oversight it can slip in to a cruise control sort of thing until something goes horribly wrong.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Varkk posted:

Backups and integrity of backups are of such vital importance to any organisation worth anything. It is no surprise then that they task someone with only the one important job of ensuring they are working and testing them etc. Sadly without the right oversight it can slip in to a cruise control sort of thing until something goes horribly wrong.

I am not debating the importance of backups and I don't think a single other person would in this thread. I will say that making your career out of 100% backup jobs has to be terrifying. It also doesn't leave much to do unless the scope of your backups is enormous and you are daily testing backups.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

poo poo not pissing me off:

Management got Gartner to benchmark us against our "peers".
Long story short we deliver comparable services with half the relative manpower and budget (about 1.1% vs 2.5-2.7% of the total manpower and budget).

The hospitals constantly complain that we're expensive and slow.

You want fast turnaround? How about you spend 2.5% of your budget on IT like the rest of the world? :smuggo:

E: Meant for the other thread, but eh...

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

One of our new help desk guys has a spelling problem.

quote:

Call Description: user is locked out of iphone.
Solution: sent unlock command to the phone user will wait till the cuntdown is complete

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

jim truds posted:

Solution: sent unlock command to the phone user will wait till the cuntdown is complete

First thing that came to mind, but with a new title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Demonachizer posted:

Paging Billy the Mountain to this post. Paging Billy the Mountain.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Sickening posted:

9:00AM: Open command prompt, type 'xcopy /e \\server\* \\server2\'
5:00PM: Press Enter, go home

Another day in the grind.

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

It was a narcotics raid, not a Fritos raid.

Sickening posted:

I am not debating the importance of backups and I don't think a single other person would in this thread. I will say that making your career out of 100% backup jobs has to be terrifying. It also doesn't leave much to do unless the scope of your backups is enormous and you are daily testing backups.

Feels like a cross-training and accountability issue. Give 3 people the job and different parts of it, so they all hold each other accountable. They can also go about other things that don't make your brain melt with monotony afterwards.

There are definitely companies that do that kind of backup-testing and backing-up, or at least should in some departments and tasks. I'm thinking about people involved in rapid prototyping and development work where they really do want to say "I had an idea for something 6 months ago let me find it" and use it in some way.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Knormal posted:

9:00AM: Open command prompt, type 'xcopy /e \\server\* \\server2\'
5:00PM: Press Enter, go home

Another day in the grind.

Use robocpoy you pleb.

Edit: I'm in need of a decent free (preferably Open Source) offline password manager. What's your preferences in this situation. Currently I'm using a PW protected Excel file, but I'm certain there are better solutions.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Crowley posted:

Edit: I'm in need of a decent free (preferably Open Source) offline password manager. What's your preferences in this situation. Currently I'm using a PW protected Excel file, but I'm certain there are better solutions.

I'm a fan of Password Gorilla. It's no frills, but it's cross-platform and open source.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Crowley posted:

Use robocpoy you pleb.

Promote me to Chief Backup Technician and we'll talk, I'm not typing out all those extra switches for nothing :colbert:

Also you probably know this, but the password protection can be removed from an Office doc in about a minute with nothing more than Notepad. Unless they fixed this in 2013, we haven't gone there yet.
http://datapigtechnologies.com/blog/index.php/hack-into-a-protected-excel-2007-or-2010-workbook/comment-page-1/

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Crowley posted:

Use robocpoy you pleb.

Keepass

Does everything you want, plus more: (generators, phone versions, portable version)

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
Seconding KeePass, especially if you use it with its two-factor authentication with both a password and a key file. If you need cross-platform compatibility, use Keepass 1.x instead of 2.x as 1.x databases are more easily cross-platform compatible than 2.x databases.

I find that a shared KeePass, though, doesn't seem to work so well; the db locks itself when someone opens it and there's no multi-user authentication available, plus people will inevitably have multiple revisions locally stored. I'm exploring using TeamPass since it's a web-based open-source thing you could throw into an internal VM.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

An email came in, from a printer. Because I am literally 13 irl, it amused me greatly:

quote:

Device has detected:

!!!!! Add toner.( Y ) !!!!!

:haw:

Also yes you should use KeePass.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

That printer is trying to seduce you.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Sirotan posted:

An email came in, from a printer. Because I am literally 13 irl, it amused me greatly:

:haw:

Also yes you should use KeePass.

CloudButt toner?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Knormal posted:

Also you probably know this, but the password protection can be removed from an Office doc in about a minute with nothing more than Notepad. Unless they fixed this in 2013, we haven't gone there yet.
http://datapigtechnologies.com/blog/index.php/hack-into-a-protected-excel-2007-or-2010-workbook/comment-page-1/

This is just for removing document protection as in preventing people from loving up a sheet or whatever. It doesn't bypass 2010's "encrypt with a password" protection.

E: KeePass is pretty great.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Casull posted:

Seconding KeePass, especially if you use it with its two-factor authentication with both a password and a key file. If you need cross-platform compatibility, use Keepass 1.x instead of 2.x as 1.x databases are more easily cross-platform compatible than 2.x databases.

I find that a shared KeePass, though, doesn't seem to work so well; the db locks itself when someone opens it and there's no multi-user authentication available, plus people will inevitably have multiple revisions locally stored. I'm exploring using TeamPass since it's a web-based open-source thing you could throw into an internal VM.

Nthing KeePass.

Though we don't have any issues with cross platform compatibility on 2.x.

CTO uses a Mac, I use Linux and my other coworker is on Windows. We haven't run into any issues there.

Multi user is an issue. We keep our database in subversion so we all have a local copy. It doesn't get updated often, so this has worked well for us.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
... from a recruiter at a company, via Linkedin.

The company is five minutes from my house.

It is for a senior sysadmin role.

I'm presently a sysadmin and happy where I am, despite the minor non-critical failings about this place.

Oh god what do

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

I'm presently a sysadmin and happy where I am, despite the minor non-critical failings about this place.

Oh god what do

Research the company on Glassdoor.com, entertain a potential salary with them. Then decide.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

MJP posted:

Oh god what do

Doesn't hurt to check it out.

Also another vote for KeePass.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Galler posted:

This is just for removing document protection as in preventing people from loving up a sheet or whatever. It doesn't bypass 2010's "encrypt with a password" protection.

E: KeePass is pretty great.

While I agree with you, it's something of a moot point, given Excel's habit of making GBS threads temp copies of the file everywhere.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I also like keep rear end

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

KeePass Droid only supports 1.x files, last I checked, but they're still very secure. IIRC when you make the DB it figure out how many rounds of encryption your CPU can do in one second and uses that many, but you can just arbitrarily bump it to crazy values as well. I did this once when I had the HTC G1 (aka the Original Android phone) and decryption was something like a 20-second process.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Laughed pretty good when this one came in to the ol' inbox this afternoon

Fortunately, we are far far away from good ol' CenturyLink

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
A ticket just came in:

quote:

We deleted a key record (a user account) from our relational database, because we were having issues logging in with it. We then recreated the user record, but now none of the history or linked items are showing up! Why?

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Oddhair posted:

KeePass Droid only supports 1.x files, last I checked, but they're still very secure. IIRC when you make the DB it figure out how many rounds of encryption your CPU can do in one second and uses that many, but you can just arbitrarily bump it to crazy values as well. I did this once when I had the HTC G1 (aka the Original Android phone) and decryption was something like a 20-second process.

Ah. I didn't consider mobile clients when I wrote about cross platform support. My mistake!

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Oddhair posted:

KeePassDroid works with 2.x now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

JohnnyCanuck posted:

A ticket just came in:

I just spent the last week beating an Relational database into shape and a ticket like that would give me a heart attack.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

m.hache posted:

Research the company on Glassdoor.com, entertain a potential salary with them. Then decide.

No reviews on Glassdoor.

Had a phone screen with the recruiter, scheduled an in-person.

The big kicker - my big question to her at the end. "Have any other IT people left for a lateral move? Could you talk a little bit about what they cited as a reason, if there's anything they said the company could improve on?"
Her response: "We actually had a sysadmin for six years, and we thought about him for the position. We ended up not considering him for it because he was kind of a day-to-day planner, he wasn't a go-to guy or technical leader."

They want someone who's as much a technical mentor for the team as an escalation point sysadmin. The other 50% is independent project guy, making sure stuff gets done.

I'll have to get back to her with some granular questions about the project expectations - because if they want a sole guy to do everything, I am not taking the bait. It's pretty telling that someone who's a "day-to-day planner" for six years doesn't merit consideration - I get that they want people to step up, but I'm wary of stepping up = sacrifice your life.

Salary expectations were about a $15k bump and no commute, and even though 401k doesn't kick in until one year of service, it's still a big chunk extra in take-home pay assuming the healthcare premiums stay the same.

It's tempting, but my last job was a hellzone of lost life because of huge project load and "stepping up." They're an out-at-5 kinda job but I'm sure that doesn't apply to IT.

We shall see, but I'll put together a follow-up asking for some details on the expectation of the day-to-day.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

JohnnyCanuck posted:

A ticket just came in:

"Let me answer your question with a question: How are you able to type with all that drool on your keyboard?"

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So an email came in:

"There are two seperate email accounts for the same thing, why is that? " has a screenshot of 'Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable' attached to the email

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

blackswordca posted:

So an email came in:

"There are two seperate email accounts for the same thing, why is that? " has a screenshot of 'Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable' attached to the email

Please tell me that's not a finance guy. If it is, forward to his boss.

• Locked thread