Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/tcTH99

Maybe that 280x isn't so bad? It's a killer price, as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.

Yoshimo posted:

If you absolutely HAD to buy pre-built (and I've read the OP!) from this page:

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/value/next-day-delivery-gaming-pcs/form-factors

Which one would you get?

Budget and use case? For gaming, the G31i doesn't look like a bad system by any means (buy a Samsung SSD separately for it, configure it to have a 270X/280/280X depending on how much you want to spend on games looking nice/how much money you want to save) but I don't know how your moon dollars translate to real Canadian money. They use Corsair CX power supplies which the thread will usually tell you not to buy, but shouldn't literally explode on you.

Vayra fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 3, 2014

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Deal appears to be dead on that Club3D card at NCIX.

So since I'm an idiot and don't know the difference between 280 and 280X, what if I just scaled back to a 270X like in the "Goons will like this" build in the OP, using this model: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-r9270xdc2t2gd5

Seems reliable enough, but I don't know which is better between the 280 and 270x. The 280X is a bit out of my price range if I can't get a deal like the expired one here.

Mons Hubris fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Sep 3, 2014

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

An Asrock H97m-pro4 would be a better motherboard for the price. I suggest a cooler like the Hyper212 EVO to cut down on noise; and replace the RAM with something low profile that won't get in the way of your cpu cooler. Feel free to get any DDR3-1600 RAM brand that is low profile and 1.5v or less - buy whatever is cheapest.

That case is nice, but if you don't mind paying a little bit more and having a case that is slightly larger, consider an Obsidian 450D - it has a second front fan, better ventilated front panel, and a dust filter for the top. Alternatively get a Nanoxia DS4.

I don't know enough about matlab to advise you on how to optimize it's performance - I'll let someone else have at it.

So, like this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Dell Small Business)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($219.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 62205ANHMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1042.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-03 13:26 EDT-0400

Still fits my budget, fortunately. Regarding MATLAB - it's not like I'm reinventing fluid dynamics at home so I guess that pretty much anything around the parts I picked will do the trick.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
How does this build look, for a pure gaming machine (note I will be getting the Z97 PC Mate and G3258 at Microcenter for $100, so this machine will actually be ~$60 cheaper than listed):

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.90 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($364.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian-Li PC-7HB ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $882.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-03 13:54 EDT-0400

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Normally I wouldn't fuss over single-channel RAM, but a G3258 punched up to 4.5+ GHz and officially supporting only DDR3-1333... that's a bit much. I'd get a 2x4 kit.

No Corsair CX power supplies. Invest more in a nice 550-ish W SeaSonic (including XFX units, which are SeaSonic OEM) or something like a Rosewill Capstone.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Factory Factory posted:

Normally I wouldn't fuss over single-channel RAM, but a G3258 punched up to 4.5+ GHz and officially supporting only DDR3-1333... that's a bit much. I'd get a 2x4 kit.

No Corsair CX power supplies. Invest more in a nice 550-ish W SeaSonic (including XFX units, which are SeaSonic OEM) or something like a Rosewill Capstone.

OK, will do about the RAM and PSU. Will 550w be enough for an R9 290?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Radbot posted:

OK, will do about the RAM and PSU. Will 550w be enough for an R9 290?

Yeah. Those things are power hungry, and if you OC the video card to its max 24/7 speeds, then you'll be right at the edge of sanity with a 550W unit, but it's enough.

If it worries you, 650W units are not much more, and it doesn't hurt anything to have too much power supply.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
Dismantling an old non-functional PC for recycling, built ca. 2009, I discovered a unicorn; one of the last good AMD CPUs, a Phenom II 940 x4, and its colossal 125w TDP stock heatsink.

I miss AMD CPUs being good. I'll probably be back around christmas to pick your collective brains. My current rig is getting old, and it's high time to look into a new one.

Sneaky Kettle fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 3, 2014

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
After getting a bunch of upgrades for my computer on a budget I finally got it working. Got a new motherboard, CPU, power supply and RAM but decided to keep my old graphics card for now, but the mobo doesn't seem to want to recognize it at all even though my monitor is connected through it. Could the GPU still be incompatible even though it fits? This is the first time I've built a computer myself so I don't know a lot. It's a Nvidia Geforce 6 series, the board is a ECS H81H3-M4 (really on a budget). I've tried to let Nvidia scan it so it could get the drivers, couldn't find it. Tried to get the drivers manually, said there was no compatible hardware. No luck with GPU-Z either.

Never mind!

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 3, 2014

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Two more questions for you lovely folks.

On an R9 290 - if I don't care about noise, is there any reason not to pick up a used Sapphire reference card? From what I've read, the big downside to these is that they're super loud, but their performance is on par.

For an SSD - I found a 240GB Samsung EVO 840 for $119. Is this not a good deal on this size of an SSD?

Titor
Aug 26, 2014

Trujillo posted:

After getting a bunch of upgrades for my computer on a budget I finally got it working. Got a new motherboard, CPU, power supply and RAM but decided to keep my old graphics card for now, but the mobo doesn't seem to want to recognize it at all even though my monitor is connected through it. Could the GPU still be incompatible even though it fits? This is the first time I've built a computer myself so I don't know a lot. It's a Nvidia Geforce 6 series, the board is a ECS H81H3-M4 (really on a budget). I've tried to let Nvidia scan it so it could get the drivers, couldn't find it. Tried to get the drivers manually, said there was no compatible hardware. No luck with GPU-Z either.

It'd likely help us if you listed the rest of your components in detail. It's possible that your graphics card might be improperly seated in its slot.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Radbot posted:

On an R9 290 - if I don't care about noise, is there any reason not to pick up a used Sapphire reference card?

Just got done saying this but only buy Gigabyte, Asus and MSI, they will honor the warranty from the serial number if the card blows up on you, none of the others will.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Titor posted:

It'd likely help us if you listed the rest of your components in detail. It's possible that your graphics card might be improperly seated in its slot.

Thanks but I figured it out, just had to mess around with the drivers a bit more.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Zero VGS posted:

Just got done saying this but only buy Gigabyte, Asus and MSI, they will honor the warranty from the serial number if the card blows up on you, none of the others will.

poo poo, missed that somehow. Thanks for saving a random goon from being a complete dumbass.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Just got my build from earlier in the thread put together (Man, NCIX shipping is glacial). Everything's running cool and quiet. The SSD is amazing. Thanks a lot for all the great information in this thread! I would've been completely lost on my own.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Radbot posted:

On an R9 290 - if I don't care about noise, is there any reason not to pick up a used Sapphire reference card? From what I've read, the big downside to these is that they're super loud, but their performance is on par.

For an SSD - I found a 240GB Samsung EVO 840 for $119. Is this not a good deal on this size of an SSD?

Also on top of what Zero VGS said the reference cards run a lot hotter as well. You can get used/damaged box ones with good coolers for around ~300.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rakeris posted:

Also on top of what Zero VGS said the reference cards run a lot hotter as well. You can get used/damaged box ones with good coolers for around ~300.

Debatable, I've worked with both and when cranked to vacuum cleaner noise levels the reference can keep things under 90c at full load which sometimes the triple-fan models can't for some reason, I guess lower max RPM. The sound is better on customs at all temps though.

The custom cooler models command a premium of $50-$100 over reference, but if you have the room and time you can drop $80-ish for a G10 bracket and closed water cooler and get things even cooler/quieter than custom fans.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Krailor posted:

They're going to be replacements for the current Haswell processors (socket 1150), not the Haswell-E (socket 2011-3). Based on Intel's recent activity most of the improvements will probably be around integrated graphics and lowering the TDP. Performance wise it will probably only be 5%-10% better than the current Haswell processors. The only thing worth waiting for in the near future is new NVidia graphics cards expected to be announced sometime in Sept.

So, it sounds like they're probably not a big enough deal to be worth waiting for, and when they do come out, probably better off taking advantage of any price drop that occurs on the Haswell-Es. That about the gist of it?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

mynnna posted:

So, it sounds like they're probably not a big enough deal to be worth waiting for, and when they do come out, probably better off taking advantage of any price drop that occurs on the Haswell-Es. That about the gist of it?

Broadwell is going to be in an entirely different segment and price range to Haswell-E. So Haswell-E won't be affected, normal Haswell will be replaced. Intel doesn't drop prices on old chips, so once Broadwell comes out the recommendation will just be to buy the Broadwell equivalent of whatever Haswell you were looking at. If you were looking at Haswell-E (and you actually need it), it won't be replaced until Broadwell-E.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mons Hubris posted:

Deal appears to be dead on that Club3D card at NCIX.

So since I'm an idiot and don't know the difference between 280 and 280X, what if I just scaled back to a 270X like in the "Goons will like this" build in the OP, using this model: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-r9270xdc2t2gd5

Seems reliable enough, but I don't know which is better between the 280 and 270x. The 280X is a bit out of my price range if I can't get a deal like the expired one here.

The 270X sits below the 280 in performance. I recommend avoiding Asus unless they happen to be the cheapest option by a decent margin - their cooler is particularly noisy and not that great at cooling compared to others. MSI should be considered best in class, but again, buy on price first.

Look at some reviews to see how the 270X and 280 compare against each other.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Yoshimo posted:

If you absolutely HAD to buy pre-built (and I've read the OP!) from this page:

http://3xs.scan.co.uk/value/next-day-delivery-gaming-pcs/form-factors

Which one would you get?

I wouldn't. They all have stuff wrong with them. but if you click on the custom series tab, then choose 'my pc, my way' you can configure a system in detail using all goon approved parts. You'll still pay a hefty premium, but at least it'll be possible to get a good PC with good parts. I'd take a close look at how much markup there is on the graphics card and maybe add one in separately if you feel comfortable doing that.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

kalstrams posted:

So, like this?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($81.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Dell Small Business)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($219.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 62205ANHMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1042.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-03 13:26 EDT-0400

Still fits my budget, fortunately. Regarding MATLAB - it's not like I'm reinventing fluid dynamics at home so I guess that pretty much anything around the parts I picked will do the trick.

I would suggest that you get a 250gb EVO if it fits your budget - 120gb is very limiting.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Radbot posted:

How does this build look, for a pure gaming machine (note I will be getting the Z97 PC Mate and G3258 at Microcenter for $100, so this machine will actually be ~$60 cheaper than listed):

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.90 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY Optima 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card ($364.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Lian-Li PC-7HB ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $882.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-03 13:54 EDT-0400

Don't buy a CX series PSU. Also don't get RAM in 1x8gb sticks. Get this instead:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/kingston-memory-hx318c10frk28

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Radbot posted:

Not only are they super loud, the cooler isn't really good enough, so temperatures increase to their maximum safe limits, at which point the GPU throttles to reduce the temperature, so you can get more consistently high performance with a proper cooler.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Now that I've built my PC, is there a software equivalent of this thread? I just want to know how I should partition my drives. I have a 120GB SSD and 1TB HDD. OS should go on the SSD for sure, but do I want my HDD to appear as a logical disk or should I do something like map the Users directory to it and have my system only appear to have one drive? How about Program Files or Program Files (x86)? How much space should I allocate to each?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mantle posted:

Now that I've built my PC, is there a software equivalent of this thread? I just want to know how I should partition my drives. I have a 120GB SSD and 1TB HDD. OS should go on the SSD for sure, but do I want my HDD to appear as a logical disk or should I do something like map the Users directory to it and have my system only appear to have one drive? How about Program Files or Program Files (x86)? How much space should I allocate to each?

You're over thinking it. Your SSD will be drive C, your HDD will be drive D. Windows, the page file, as many programs and games as possible, and your user directory need to go on your SSD. The HDD is for bulk storage of media primarily - movies, music, big downloaded files such as ISOs. You can put some extra games there if you want to have a ton of games installed at once.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Mantle posted:

I recently finished setting up my mom with a new computer, also a 120GB SSD and 1TB HDD. After OS and other software installation on the SSD, I simply set up the HDD as D and changed the Users/*/Videos and Users/*/Pictures location to be on the D drive. This keeps the little things like documents fast and responsive, while putting the accumulating GBs of media on the slower, more spacious, disk.

P.S.
People in their 60s can be trained to use stock Windows 8.1. It just takes patience and encouragement. Being able to say "Just hit the Windows key and type what you want to do" is pretty cool.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
So will Optical Drives go the way of the Firewire port in cases/chassis?

I say this because the NZXT S340 is looking like real competition to the Enthoo Pro.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Khagan posted:

So will Optical Drives go the way of the Firewire port in cases/chassis?

I say this because the NZXT S340 is looking like real competition to the Enthoo Pro.

The thing doesn't even come with front fans? While the aesthetic is clean it is missing all the badass features of the Phanteks cases.

As for optical drives, I think the market is definitely moving away from them, but I think they'll stick around for a while longer. Cases are moving more towards one or two instead of 3-5, which is a good change IMO. Companies are trying hard to make as many things to put into 5.25" bays as possible, like pump/res combos, fan controllers, system monitors etc.

Edit:I just checked the price. At 69.99 it really isn't in the same price bracket as the Enthoo Pro/Luxe either so the lack of features is more understandable.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

The thing doesn't even come with front fans? While the aesthetic is clean it is missing all the badass features of the Phanteks cases.

As for optical drives, I think the market is definitely moving away from them, but I think they'll stick around for a while longer. Cases are moving more towards one or two instead of 3-5, which is a good change IMO. Companies are trying hard to make as many things to put into 5.25" bays as possible, like pump/res combos, fan controllers, system monitors etc.

Edit:I just checked the price. At 69.99 it really isn't in the same price bracket as the Enthoo Pro/Luxe either so the lack of features is more understandable.

The front is the only place you can stick a 240mm radiator, so I think they assume people will put a radiator there.

If the build quality is as good as it looks in the pictures and video then I think $100 - 70 + the cost of two front fans - is pretty decent. I prefer mesh or ventilation of some sort for intake fans though.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I have a Corsair 600T with the mesh side panel, and just put 4 3-pin fans in it. The fan controller can only handle 5A at each connector, and only have 2 open anyway after the pre-installed 200mm fans. So I got a NZXT Grid hub to just connect the window fans to, but I don't want them all screaming away at 12V, and don't know how to step them down.

Corsair's SP120 fans actually come with a short step-down adapter that would be perfect...

...but I don't need the fans and I can't find this kind of connector anywhere else. Is there a simpler way to step these down, or should I buy the fans just for the connector? I suppose I could hold on to them for the future, but spending $50 for some step-down connectors is stupid.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Slim Killington posted:

spending $50 for some step-down connectors is stupid.

Yes, it would be, since that's literally just two 3 pin connectors and a resistor. I'm sure you can find these for sale on their own somewhere, and honestly, if you have one already, tear the heatshrink off to determine the resistor value, buy one of the same value, and make as many as you want...

Other than that, try looking for low noise adapters on ebay. I know that's what Noctua calls 'em..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 4, 2014

Bad Gandalf
Sep 19, 2010
Hi guys i'm posting on behalf of a friend who's looking at getting her first gaming rig. She has a budget of around £400 not including a monitor and looking at running at 720 - 1080p. Does anyone have any recommendations for what she can get to get the most out of her money?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I would suggest that you get a 250gb EVO if it fits your budget - 120gb is very limiting.
Yeah, it fits the budget.

Thank you for help guys, I should be set now.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Bad Gandalf posted:

Hi guys i'm posting on behalf of a friend who's looking at getting her first gaming rig. She has a budget of around £400 not including a monitor and looking at running at 720 - 1080p. Does anyone have any recommendations for what she can get to get the most out of her money?

This is about the closest you'll get:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (£43.14 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£22.90 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£65.56 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£62.68 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.14 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card (£95.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master N300 ATX Mid Tower Case (£31.20 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£35.09 @ Aria PC)
Total: £393.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-04 15:54 BST+0100

Note that it relies on overclocking that pentium to get the most out of it. If your friend isn't willing to do that, then you should switch to an H97 board and a core i3. You can ditch the Hyper212 evo if you want (especially if you decide not to overclock) but it will cut down on noise and help you get the most out of the overclocking cpu.

This also doesn't include the cost of windows.

Honestly though that budget is very, very tight. If your friend could save up a bit longer and get say an R9-270X (about 30 more pounds) she'd be much better off. A solid state drive is out of the question on your friend's budget, but if that changes it is a very major step up.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Slim Killington posted:

I have a Corsair 600T with the mesh side panel, and just put 4 3-pin fans in it. The fan controller can only handle 5A at each connector, and only have 2 open anyway after the pre-installed 200mm fans. So I got a NZXT Grid hub to just connect the window fans to, but I don't want them all screaming away at 12V, and don't know how to step them down.

Corsair's SP120 fans actually come with a short step-down adapter that would be perfect...

...but I don't need the fans and I can't find this kind of connector anywhere else. Is there a simpler way to step these down, or should I buy the fans just for the connector? I suppose I could hold on to them for the future, but spending $50 for some step-down connectors is stupid.

You can also wire the fans between +12V and +5V for 7V-powered fan goodness :getin:

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

HalloKitty posted:

Yes, it would be, since that's literally just two 3 pin connectors and a resistor. I'm sure you can find these for sale on their own somewhere, and honestly, if you have one already, tear the heatshrink off to determine the resistor value, buy one of the same value, and make as many as you want...

Other than that, try looking for low noise adapters on ebay. I know that's what Noctua calls 'em..

Noctua's are actually perfect, thanks for that. They say not to use them with fans that draw over 3W, so that can't be more than a 30ohm resistor. These fans are 4.8W, but I might be ballsy and try them anyway. $10 for 3 is pretty negligible.

For future reference here's some cheap DX ones with a 56ohm resistor which is way more than enough for any 120mm fan:

http://www.dx.com/p/3-pin-pc-cooling-fan-speed-noise-reduction-cable-5-piece-set-35818

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 4, 2014

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The Lord Bude posted:

This is about the closest you'll get:

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor (£43.14 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£22.90 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£65.56 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£62.68 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£37.14 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card (£95.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master N300 ATX Mid Tower Case (£31.20 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£35.09 @ Aria PC)
Total: £393.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-04 15:54 BST+0100

Note that it relies on overclocking that pentium to get the most out of it. If your friend isn't willing to do that, then you should switch to an H97 board and a core i3. You can ditch the Hyper212 evo if you want (especially if you decide not to overclock) but it will cut down on noise and help you get the most out of the overclocking cpu.

This also doesn't include the cost of windows.

Honestly though that budget is very, very tight. If your friend could save up a bit longer and get say an R9-270X (about 30 more pounds) she'd be much better off. A solid state drive is out of the question on your friend's budget, but if that changes it is a very major step up.

That is 1866 RAM. I thought this CPU only goes as far as 1333?

http://ark.intel.com/products/82723/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G3258-3M-Cache-3_20-GHz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

I popped 2133 in one and it read it just fine

• Locked thread